PDA

View Full Version : UGLY scene in Madison, WI today.....Howard should be fired, TODAY........

Saltydog
02-20-2022, 04:40 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/michigan-basketballs-juwan-howard-hits-205607685.html

Always thought he was a punk anyway........

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 04:43 PM
I wish there was more fighting in bball***

Catfish
02-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Thug move!!

TUSK
02-20-2022, 04:57 PM
When keepin' it.....

Well, y'all know...

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 05:02 PM
Juwan was just slapping a wasp off that dude's head**

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 05:04 PM
He should be fired. His pathetic excuse should be fired. Woke gone wild They will probably fire the other guy.

DownwardDawg
02-20-2022, 05:06 PM
Surely he'll be fired. Like today right????

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 05:13 PM
His excuse is he was touched unnecessarily touched? Guy touched him on the arm?

Better question, why was he allowed to go to the post game press conference?

Leeshouldveflanked
02-20-2022, 05:13 PM
I?m sure he will use the Race Card.

Saltydog
02-20-2022, 05:19 PM
He may have touched him but it certainly wasn't in an aggressive manner and it was several seconds after that he threw the punch. UM should be ashamed if they don't fire him but I doubt it will happen or he wouldn't have been at the press conference.

mparkerfd20
02-20-2022, 05:20 PM
He'd be fired if he was white. Will sit back and see what happens though.

Catfish
02-20-2022, 05:25 PM
Time for LeBron to come to the rescue.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 05:32 PM
Michigan has to fire Howard over this. The race card is already being pulled on Twitter by blue checkmark liberals. Because everything is about race. But no way should Howard keep his job.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 05:39 PM
Apparently y'all are really invested in this, lol.

SailingDawg
02-20-2022, 05:51 PM
Michigan has to fire Howard over this. The race card is already being pulled on Twitter by blue checkmark liberals. Because everything is about race. But no way should Howard keep his job.

So racism doesn?t exist in your world?

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 05:58 PM
So racism doesn?t exist in your world?

Sure it does. But when a coach (white or black) punches someone, then he should get fired. Thinking that being black should prevent them from facing accountability is ludicrous.

EdwardDrayton
02-20-2022, 05:58 PM
Michigan does not have a choice.

TUSK
02-20-2022, 06:01 PM
in.

https://c.tenor.com/chNErfisaHIAAAAM/cant-decide-counting.gif

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:04 PM
Sure it does. But when a coach (white or black) punches someone, then he should get fired. Thinking that being black should prevent them from facing accountability is ludicrous.

1) It was hardly a punch, lol; 2) I'm sure he'll be suspended/fined; 3) he's hardly the first coach to do something moronic during post-game shenanigans and still keep his job; 4) why are the takes so hot for this, lol?

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 06:14 PM
1) It was hardly a punch, lol; 2) I'm sure he'll be suspended/fined; 3) he's hardly the first coach to do something moronic during post-game shenanigans and still keep his job; 4) why are the takes so hot for this, lol?

Who are the other coaches who threw a punch? They should have been fired also.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:15 PM

Holy shit....

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:17 PM

It wasn't a punch. Why are we clutching pearls over this?

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:18 PM

He can't answer that....and honestly, I don't think he should be fired. Suspended the rest of the season, without pay. And if he has a previous history then he should be gone. But to act like this is a nothing is stupid. Just be glad Wisconsin didn't follow the disband police policy that beardo's Dems so desperately wanted. Until they didn't. ...

EdwardDrayton

Nothing hot about it. That is assault and is a terminable policy offense in any reputable organization. Athletics should be no different IMHO.

Homedawg

What was it then? A slap to the head?? Great.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:19 PM
Holy shit....

Ok.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:22 PM
What was it then? A slap to the head?? Great.

A swipe? A slap? An attention getter? Sure.

Definitely not a punch, or an assault, or an attempted murder.

And btw, I don't care for the guy (or his school) either. If they do fire him (they won't) whatever....but this thread is bizarre.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:23 PM
Nothing hot about it. That is assault and is a terminable policy offense in any reputable organization. Athletics should be no different IMHO.

We don't apply that standard to sports; not saying its right, but we just don't.

Now I'll give you him being a coach puts this on another level, sure...but c'mon...to call that "assault" is crazy.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:25 PM
A swipe? A slap? An attention getter? Sure.

Definitely not a punch, or an assault, or an attempted murder.

And btw, I don't care for the guy (or his school) either. If they do fire him (they won't) whatever....but this thread is bizarre.

You might need to go look up the definition of assault. ... hell yeah it was assault... you don't even have to hit someone to be charged w assault. The slap or punch or whatever you want to call it, is most definitely assault. Now whether charges happen I doubt that.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:28 PM
He can't answer that....and honestly, I don't think he should be fired. Suspended the rest of the season, without pay. And if he has a previous history then he should be gone. But to act like this is a nothing is stupid. Just be glad Wisconsin didn't follow the disband police policy that beardo's Dems so desperately wanted. Until they didn't. ...

Lol, sure. Hyperbole much?

I didn't say it was nothing; I just said he didn't punch the guy, and that it was interesting so many folks in the thread seem to think this is literally the worst thing to ever happen in sports (how's that for hyperbole?**).

EdwardDrayton
02-20-2022, 06:29 PM
We don't apply that standard to sports; not saying its right, but we just don't.

Now I'll give you him being a coach puts this on another level, sure...but c'mon...to call that "assault" is crazy.

I hear ya Beard. Us sports fans and other athletes probably wouldn?t classify that as assault by any yardstick. But I spent twenty plus years in corporate America and can emphatically say if I pulled that stunt at the office, I?m ushered out the door with a box in my hands before the day is over.

And try it in front of a law officer and I?m laying money where we would end up.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:33 PM
You might need to go look up the definition of assault. ... hell yeah it was assault... you don't even have to hit someone to be charged w assault. The slap or punch or whatever you want to call it, is most definitely assault. Now whether charges happen I doubt that.

Well, in your scenario, typically all one has to do is claim they felt threatened, lol.

Again, we see crazy shit every Saturday/Sunday on the football field, every single ****ing hockey game, and how many MLB games? How many assault charges? Yet somehow THIS is just too much?

All this pearl clutching doesn't seem weird to you? Not even a little bit?

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:34 PM
I hear ya Beard. Us sports fans and other athletes probably wouldn?t classify that as assault by any yardstick. But I spent twenty plus years in corporate America and can emphatically say if I pulled that stunt at the office, I?m ushered out the door with a box in my hands before the day is over.

And try it in front of a law officer and I?m laying money where we would end up.

No argument from me with any of this. Well said.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 06:44 PM
A coach is a leader and runs a program. They should be held to a high standard. If we did, maybe we wouldn’t have so many athletes constantly getting arrested and acting like idiots. As a society we need to do better.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:45 PM
Lol, sure. Hyperbole much?

I didn't say it was nothing; I just said he didn't punch the guy, and that it was interesting so many folks in the thread seem to think this is literally the worst thing to ever happen in sports (how's that for hyperbole?**).

You said why is everyone making a big deal out of this. Also, incorrectly, said it wasn't assault. Mine wasn't hyperbole. Not at all. He hit the dude. Period. Take up for him. Don't. I don't care. But it is a big deal. He's supposed to be the leader of that team. Again, I said he shouldn't be fired. And won't be. But to say why is everyone making this a big deal is nuts. It is.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:46 PM
Well, in your scenario, typically all one has to do is claim they felt threatened, lol.

Again, we see crazy shit every Saturday/Sunday on the football field, every single ****ing hockey game, and how many MLB games? How many assault charges? Yet somehow THIS is just too much?

If you could read you'd see I said I didn't know if charges would be brought. But guess you're to proud to admit you were wrong--- it's clearly assault. No doubt about it.

Really Clark?
02-20-2022, 06:50 PM

Well you are mixing players fighting, which they don't prosecute because it usually doesn't met criteria of assault and battery, criminally or civilly in 99% of the circumstances. There is a difference with assault charges against coaches, referee's, parents, etc. Those charges don't always get prosecuted unless it's a minor victim but they have been arrested for assault. The Flint, MI youth basketball coach knocked out a referee and he was charged and I think prosecuted, you had an angry mother scratch and attempt to gouge a coach of her daughter's team get charged...so it does happen.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:55 PM
Well you are mixing players fighting, which they don't prosecute because it usually doesn't met criteria of assault and battery, criminally or civilly in 99% of the circumstances. There is a difference with assault charges against coaches, referee's, parents, etc. Those charges don't always get prosecuted unless it's a minor victim but they have been arrested for assault. The Flint, MI youth basketball coach knocked out a referee and he was charged and I think prosecuted, you had an angry mother scratch and attempt to gouge a coach of her daughter's team get charged...so it does happen.

I'm well aware of the differences. And I'm also aware of the various situations where folks got cold-cocked and/or knocked out.

That is not this.

PMDawg
02-20-2022, 06:57 PM

As usual, there are some uncomfortable and nonsensical takes from both sides. Truth is in the middle. Having nothing to do with race, he should be fired. If Howland did this, I would want him fired. Case closed.

You need a new go-to. "Pearl clutching" is already old.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:59 PM
If you could read you'd see I said I didn't know if charges would be brought. But guess you're to proud to admit you were wrong--- it's clearly assault. No doubt about it.

Whatever, dude.

Sure: you're right...I'm wrong (As usual).

It was assault! His open palm grazed that guy's hair/forehead in a heated scrum of a bunch of folks pushing and grabbing after a ball game...

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 07:00 PM
You need a new go-to. "Pearl clutching" is already old.

That's fair, lol.

Really Clark?
02-20-2022, 07:07 PM
I'm well aware of the differences. And I'm also aware of the various situations where folks got cold-cocked and/or knocked out.

That is not this.

Well that's why I cited the mother, she scratched and gouged the coach, she didn't close to knocking him out but was still charged. There were charges of NBA players and fans for that nasty brawl with Pacers and Pistons and fans. And heavy suspensions. I don't anyone was knocked out but a fan was charged for instigating the fight by throwing a drink, if I'm not mistaken.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 07:11 PM
We watch player after player in college and pro ball get arrested. They need leadership. They need grown men who act like grown men leading them. Where have our men gone? And why do we excuse dumbass behavior? Look at the crime rate in certain areas and compare it to the fatherless homes in those same areas. Why is that? It’s because they don’t have strong male leadership. If you look at homes with strong male leadership, you see that the crime rate is lower, drug abuse is lower, the graduation rate is higher.

In some areas, there are no strong male leaders teaching boys how to act and behave like men. Howard is a coach, but he should also be a leader of men. He should be mentoring and setting examples for boys trying to become men. And he will tell a parent that he does so on a recruiting trip, and it will be a lie. We should hold our coaches to a high standard in my opinion.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 07:20 PM
And Howard offered no apology at the press conference, none. Sad

LC Dawg
02-20-2022, 07:34 PM
And Howard offered no apology at the press conference, none. Sad

That was my biggest issue with the whole thing. He obviously doesn't think he did anything wrong. That's poor leadership.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 07:46 PM
That was my biggest issue with the whole thing. He obviously doesn't think he did anything wrong. That's poor leadership.

Yeah people screwup but when you take absolutely no responsibility for your actions and show no remorse that's a huge problem. It's always someone else's fault and I'm not down with that mentality.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 07:50 PM
Former Michigan wideout Braylon Edwards tweeted “I try to tell you guys that Juwan Howard is a brother from Chicago.” So Howard has the support of Edwards. For reference, Edwards has multiple arrests for assault, DUI, etc. It’s easy to see the pattern.

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 08:02 PM
He may have touched him but it certainly wasn't in an aggressive manner and it was several seconds after that he threw the punch. UM should be ashamed if they don't fire him but I doubt it will happen or he wouldn't have been at the press conference.

Howard put his hands on WI HC early in event so Howards excuse is even more pathetic. He initiated contact and the confrontation on top of all else.

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 08:07 PM

It is MI choice I guess since the NCAA doesn't really exist anymore. The issue I think is that a white coach would be fired before the press conference. Howard continues to get a pass. Even some ESPN guys are defending Howard or trying to condemn WI coach for calling TO which is pathetic. Typical not accountability for some. This ain't the first time with him either.

Turfdawg67
02-20-2022, 08:27 PM

He'd be fired if he was white. Will sit back and see what happens though.

It is MI choice I guess since the NCAA doesn't really exist anymore. The issue I think is that a white coach would be fired before the press conference. Howard continues to get a pass. Even some ESPN guys are defending Howard or trying to condemn WI coach for calling TO which is pathetic. Typical not accountability for some. This ain't the first time with him either.

He hasn't yet, but these guys didn't waste much time in using it. Shocking I know. Hey, how are the Civil War re-enactments going?

dawgoneyall
02-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Why do you consider this event of no importance?

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 08:36 PM
He hasn't yet, but these guys didn't waste much time in using it. Shocking I know. Hey, how are the Civil War re-enactments going?

What are you talking about?

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 08:37 PM
Why do you consider this event of no importance?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I can guess but rather not.

MetEdDawg
02-20-2022, 08:49 PM
In what professional job can you open hand slap another individual and not get fired? WWE and MMA are the 2 I can come up with.

I'm fired that day if I did that in my work environment.

He's a leader of young men and he just came across the face of someone not threatening him or causing him or another individual imminent danger.

He has to be fired period. Race be damned. Any color, gender, etc. Fired.

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 08:56 PM
In what professional job can you open hand slap another individual and not get fired? WWE and MMA are the 2 I can come up with.

I'm fired that day if I did that in my work environment.

He's a leader of young men and he just came across the face of someone not threatening him or causing him or another individual imminent danger.

He has to be fired period. Race be damned. Any color, gender, etc. Fired.

Agree, has nothing to do with race him being fired that is.

Todd4State
02-20-2022, 09:07 PM

Is that because it's a "heat of the moment" thing? Just curious as to why that isn't prosecuted in general.

Quaoarsking
02-20-2022, 09:23 PM

Where are you getting this idea? Do you have statistics of coaches slapping/punching and their punishments by race or something? Why do are you even inserting race into a non-racial incident in the first place?

Really Clark?
02-20-2022, 09:27 PM
Is that because it's a "heat of the moment" thing? Just curious as to why that isn't prosecuted in general.

Criminally...It's a gray area but it has to do with consent actually. By playing a sport you are consenting that force occurs on your person by someone else. Therefore, you can't be assaulted upon. Now throwing a punch, slapping, spitting, etc. are outside the rules of the game so is it assault or not...unless it's very egregious, prosecutors are going to let the leagues, organizations, etc. police their own in that sense. When it's just players/coaches involved. The Pacers - Pistons brawl with the fans is what brought prosecution to players and fans alike. It left the floor.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 09:32 PM
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I can guess but rather not.

No need to guess...its obviously because I hate the nuclear family, democracy, and Aerosmith.*

BrunswickDawg
02-20-2022, 09:43 PM
So, I guess a lot of you would have fired Don Zimmer and charged him with attempted assault when he went after Pedro???

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShamelessCraftyIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 10:08 PM

I don't think the ncaa has any power in this situation. The big ten does though. We shall see

Matt3467
02-20-2022, 10:18 PM
I've only seen the video a couple of times early when it happened so it's possible my recollection isn't accurate but I seem to recall Howard balling his fist up to throw a punch but there was either a fellow player or staffer in front of him so he had to go over his head and instead ending up coming down with the open hand. I perceived that he fully intended to throw a closed fist punch but either way what happened is unacceptable and something needs to be done as he is the HC and face of the program. I watched his response and was thrown off by his non apology as he leaned back and crossed his arms. His whole demeanor was immature and unbecoming of what one would expect as a leader of young men.

Maroonthirteen
02-20-2022, 10:54 PM
A pouty baby that couldn't handle the L.

Watch the video close. He doesn't even hit the coach that "touched him." He hits a different guy.

http://twitter.com/jeannatrotmantv/status/1495536258600292352?s=21

WhiskeyPirate
02-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Pretty sure if you slap someone in the head you can be arrested for assault. Try it and get back to me.

Todd4State
02-21-2022, 12:32 AM
Criminally...It's a gray area but it has to do with consent actually. By playing a sport you are consenting that force occurs on your person by someone else. Therefore, you can't be assaulted upon. Now throwing a punch, slapping, spitting, etc. are outside the rules of the game so is it assault or not...unless it's very egregious, prosecutors are going to let the leagues, organizations, etc. police their own in that sense. When it's just players/coaches involved. The Pacers - Pistons brawl with the fans is what brought prosecution to players and fans alike. It left the floor.
Interesting. Thanks.

662dawg
02-21-2022, 12:57 AM

Watch the video close. He doesn't even hit the coach that "touched him." He hits a different guy.

The funniest thing about the whole video is how he pulled down his ?virtue signaling? mask when he got really mad 😂

HancockCountyDog
02-21-2022, 01:15 AM

Yeah, the whole "he touched me first" defense, however ludicrous, goes out the window when you decide to take a swing at an entirely different coach, 10 seconds after the head coach touched you.

Also, this whole "you don?t put hands on a mother man" is just bullshit. It's like an episode of when keeping it real goes wrong.

Tater
02-21-2022, 01:29 AM
Apparently y'all are really invested in this, lol.

Speaking as the only member of the board at this game today (if someone else in madison actually is a state alum, dm me.) Yea this thread says a whole lot.

Howard should be suspended anywhere from 5 games to the rest of the season / post. But likely will be less. But it's really weird the narratives spun in people's head blaming "wokeness" for him not having anything done... literally minutes after anything happened.

****in losers lmao.

Game was chippy all throughout. Especially the second half. Emotion that he showed is what people beg of Howland. But since he showed too much emotion as a black man, to the gallows. ****ing losers on here.

Pancho
02-21-2022, 07:27 AM
Did this guy get him a Technical? Getting a Technical is all that has been mentioned about Howland showing some fire. You mention gallows, nobody else just you. I'd say the losers are the folks who hired a HC who has a 12 year old temperment.

Johnson85
02-21-2022, 09:15 AM

Not sure how Michigan has been lately, but he had a great 2nd year, making it to the elite 8 and now is 7th in the Big 10. Really depends on how he got here. Did he do a great job recruiting and have a bunch of early draft entrees start a rebuild? Or did he put together a team for one year with a bunch of transfers that only played one year? Was the Elite 8 team players recruited by the former coach? Without knowing the details, it's hard to say. Doesn't look like he should be safe, but with one successful year in three, it's not a sure thing he should be fired.

That said, the only reason I would care one way or the other is him claiming after the fact that he felt threatened. THat to me is a pus move. Just tell the truth. "The time out was bush league, it pissed me off. (True). The Wisconsin head coach physically grabbed me when I was trying to walk away and that was completely unacceptable, which pissed me off more. (True). I kept some control after that, but then eventually lost control on a different wisconsin coach. I shouldn't have done that and it was stupid. We require more from our players and certainly more should be required of me (also all true)." Take a suspension until the Big 10 tournament and move on.

Johnson85
02-21-2022, 09:25 AM

Howard may end up getting some more leeway because of racial issues, but 95% of the decision is going to be based on how good the coach is compared to expectations. If Calipari hit another coach, he wouldn't be fired. If Tom Crean did it at this point, presumably he wouldn't be allowed back on the bus. The only reason racial issues could come into play is because Howland had one good season and has now regressed. Maybe he's a good coach that hasn't gotten his program stable yet. Maybe he is a bad coach that got lucky his second year.

R2Dawg
02-21-2022, 09:30 AM
Speaking as the only member of the board at this game today (if someone else in madison actually is a state alum, dm me.) Yea this thread says a whole lot.

Howard should be suspended anywhere from 5 games to the rest of the season / post. But likely will be less. But it's really weird the narratives spun in people's head blaming "wokeness" for him not having anything done... literally minutes after anything happened.

****in losers lmao.

Game was chippy all throughout. Especially the second half. Emotion that he showed is what people beg of Howland. But since he showed too much emotion as a black man, to the gallows. ****ing losers on here.

Real easy his character is that of wokeness. The victim mentality, blame others for all my actions, I'm not accountable for anything of my own personal results, etc. That is why he reacted that way, threw the punch and gave the lame excuse in press conference with the arrogant attitude. Well the fake mask wearing and say the names warmups go right with it. Along with a lot more stuff from Howard over the years.

If you can see what he is when any blind person can, well just can't help you. At some point there has to be some accountability. Just like the woke mayors and councils now reversing the defund police everywhere when crime is out of control. What do you think you get when you promote this stupid stuff.

Tater
02-21-2022, 10:12 AM
Real easy his character is that of wokeness. The victim mentality, blame others for all my actions, I'm not accountable for anything of my own personal results, etc. That is why he reacted that way, threw the punch and gave the lame excuse in press conference with the arrogant attitude. Well the fake mask wearing and say the names warmups go right with it. Along with a lot more stuff from Howard over the years.

If you can see what he is when any blind person can, well just can't help you. At some point there has to be some accountability. Just like the woke mayors and councils now reversing the defund police everywhere when crime is out of control. What do you think you get when you promote this stupid stuff.

You're using the word woke like some boogeyman. Kinda sad.

smootness
02-21-2022, 10:45 AM
As usual, people on both sides of this have to water it down or blow it out of proportion.

What Howard did pressing at the end of a blowout was unnecessary. What Gard did calling the TO at the end of a blowout was unnecessary. Ultimately, those are whatever moves. If Howard wants to take offense to the TO and hold a grudge, go for it. I like that stuff in sports.

Gard shouldn't have grabbed him in the handshake line, but ultimately it wasn't that big a deal. And Howard looks weak to me for trying to blow past him and tell him he'll remember it.

All of that is nothing. But what Howard then did in response is fully inexcusable. As the head coach, you cannot be the instigator. You just can't. Your primary literal job responsibility is to lead your players, and you have to sometimes take a step back and lead by example. He flew off the handle and turned a nothing situation into something. He should be suspended for that for possibly the rest of the season. But he shouldn't be fired for that....IF...he understands what he did, takes responsibility and corrects going forward.

His post-game press conference tells me that isn't the case, especially coming on the heels of him threatening Mark Turgeon last year. He clearly doesn't get it, and regardless of his success, if I were in charge at Michigan, I would be finding a new coach.

FWIW, I would be handing down some consequences to the Wisconsin assistant too, depending on what actually went down there. He came running in instigating himself instead of trying to defuse.

662dawg
02-21-2022, 10:50 AM

****in losers lmao.

What does the color of his skin have to do with him being a flaming idiot & facing consequences for his ignorant actions? If he was white, he?d still be a flaming idiot & need to face consequences for his ignorant actions. The definition of being WOKE & RACIST is YOU thinking people on here are mad at him because the color of his skin instead of his actions.

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 10:50 AM
As usual, people on both sides of this have to water it down or blow it out of proportion.

What Howard did pressing at the end of a blowout was unnecessary. What Gard did calling the TO at the end of a blowout was unnecessary. Ultimately, those are whatever moves. If Howard wants to take offense to the TO and hold a grudge, go for it. I like that stuff in sports.

Gard shouldn't have grabbed him in the handshake line, but ultimately it wasn't that big a deal. And Howard looks weak to me for trying to blow past him and tell him he'll remember it.

All of that is nothing. But what Howard then did in response is fully inexcusable. As the head coach, you cannot be the instigator. You just can't. Your primary literal job responsibility is to lead your players, and you have to sometimes take a step back and lead by example. He flew off the handle and turned a nothing situation into something. He should be suspended for that for possibly the rest of the season. But he shouldn't be fired for that....IF...he understands what he did, takes responsibility and corrects going forward.

His post-game press conference tells me that isn't the case, especially coming on the heels of him threatening Mark Turgeon last year. He clearly doesn't get it, and regardless of his success, if I were in charge at Michigan, I would be finding a new coach.

FWIW, I would be handing down some consequences to the Wisconsin assistant too, depending on what actually went down there. He came running in instigating himself instead of trying to defuse.

Best post in this thread.

Tater
02-21-2022, 11:04 AM
Only thing I'll add smoot, the TO was because the Badgers were about to get a 10 second violation.

I have a problem with a team playing full court press when down big AND complaining that the other team kept trying. Cant have it both ways.

To be clear, I don't like Michigan. I don't like Howard. Think he should get severe punishment. But this has nothing to do with wokeness and it's amazing that's where a ton of posters started in this thread.

662dawg
02-21-2022, 11:13 AM
Only thing I'll add smoot, the TO was because the Badgers were about to get a 10 second violation.

I have a problem with a team playing full court press when down big AND complaining that the other team kept trying. Cant have it both ways.

To be clear, I don't like Michigan. I don't like Howard. Think he should get severe punishment. But this has nothing to do with wokeness and it's amazing that's where a ton of posters started in this thread.

I agree with everything you just typed EXCEPT he is getting treated softly by A LOT of the media because of WOKENESS. It just is what it is. Hell some are even putting full blame on Garb lol. How is that even a possibility without it being attributed to WOKENESS? This should be an issue where EVERYBODY agrees that Howard was wrong, but that?s not what?s happening. So WHY is that?

And I think it has more to do with Howard?s virtue signaling mask wearing, woke ideology attitude & NOT his skin color. His skin color never crossed my mind until you mentioned it above.

smootness
02-21-2022, 11:20 AM

Agreed across the board. It's also amazing, though, that I've seen people immediately jump to the other side and argue that the people most upset about what Howard did are racist.

Why everything now, literally everything, turns into a racial issue is absurd to me. Judge it on the actions. Juwan Howard's actions were ridiculous, and his defense of himself is even more absurd. Gard didn't play it perfectly himself but doesn't bear responsibility for it turning into what it did.

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 11:21 AM
Agreed across the board. It's also amazing, though, that I've seen people immediately jump to the other side and argue that the people most upset about what Howard did are racist.

Why everything now, literally everything, turns into a racial issue is absurd to me. Judge it on the actions. Juwan Howard's actions were ridiculous, and his defense of himself is even more absurd. Gard didn't play it perfectly himself but doesn't bear responsibility for it turning into what it did.

Nailed it.

PMDawg
02-21-2022, 11:51 AM
So, I guess a lot of you would have fired Don Zimmer and charged him with attempted assault when he went after Pedro???

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShamelessCraftyIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif

I would have had him fired. Yes. The charging stuff is dumb.

Vandownbytheriver
02-21-2022, 12:28 PM

It's literally both sides on Twitter. It's the "if he was white he'd be fired" vs the "if he was white no one would care." Both sides can't possibly admit that they are blowing it completely out of proportion. The fact anyone wants to say, "he's from the south side of Chicago" as an excuse to swing on someone is absurd. In the same vein, anyone who says that as a reason he hit someone is just as ignorant. The Wisconsin coach shouldn't have grabbed him, but Howard made the situation worse by throwing a punch/slap. He needs to own up to it and move on. He absolutely doesn't need people with a white savior complex defending his lapse of judgement. He's a grown man getting paid a lot of money to mentor impressionable young men. You have to be better than that. He also shouldn't be condemned by the right because "he's woke." Nothing ruins your argument more than calling someone a snowflake, Pearl cluthcher or woke. It's the last line of defense when you have nothing else of substance to say.

shoeless joe
02-21-2022, 12:41 PM
Howard’s action are bad. It wasn’t a punch as much as a slap but I don’t know what difference that makes at this point. Truth is he should probably be fired. As the face of an organization/team at that level much higher standards have to be met. Then you add in the incident at the big 10 tourney last year and I think he does get fired.

But to me the larger issue is his words in the presser. He actually thought that the best thing to say was that since he’s from a rough neighborhood he automatically resorts to violence?!? What kind of statement is that from someone representing a university sports team! And that idiotic mind set is why I can’t fathom him continuing to coach. What kind of example is that? That statement honestly bothers me more than his actions.

Catfish
02-21-2022, 12:54 PM
This whole thing is ugly.

MaroonFlounder
02-21-2022, 01:02 PM
If you guys haven't figured out that Beardo is just trying to make this about race....like everything seems to be about these days....then I can't help you.

Juwan Howard and any other coach that pulls that kind've shit after a game should face some kind of disciplinary action.

I will never agree with Beardo's politics, and that's OK. Juwan Howard will be invited to the White House for sticking up for himself. LOL.

Quaoarsking
02-21-2022, 01:21 PM
It's literally both sides on Twitter. It's the "if he was white he'd be fired" vs the "if he was white no one would care." Both sides can't possibly admit that they are blowing it completely out of proportion.

People should just stop reading idiots on Twitter. Most of the accounts are people just trolling and grandstanding, and even the ones being dead serious are often total morons. This incident is entirely non-racial, and anyone trying to make a new BLM hero or push white grievance nonsense is a loser, including multiple posters on this thread.

Twitter and social media have poisoned our society. I wish it would just shut itself down.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2022, 01:36 PM
If you guys haven't figured out that Beardo is just trying to make this about race....like everything seems to be about these days....then I can't help you.

Juwan Howard and any other coach that pulls that kind've shit after a game should face some kind of disciplinary action.

I will never agree with Beardo's politics, and that's OK. Juwan Howard will be invited to the White House for sticking up for himself. LOL.

Me make this about race?!?! The **** are you talking about?

BeardoMSU
02-21-2022, 01:39 PM

I haven't mentioned politics, race, woke shit, etc. in any of my posts. Not ****ing once.

LC Dawg
02-21-2022, 02:50 PM

Go back and read the first page of this thread. Beardo did not make this about race.

Pancho
02-21-2022, 03:15 PM
I'm with beardo on this.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-21-2022, 03:39 PM
Lol any hint of race or politics in a thread and it's like moths to a flame.

This isn't this first time Howard has had a run in with an opposing coach, but he's definitely shown to an emotional bitch. He should be at least suspended the rest of the year, but with the way his team is playing it may be a blessing.

Who knew a former Michigan player had a sensitivity to timeouts**

Catfish
02-21-2022, 03:55 PM
Lol any hint of race or politics in a thread and it's like moths to a flame.

This isn't this first time Howard has had a run in with an opposing coach, but he's definitely shown to an emotional bitch. He should be at least suspended the rest of the year, but with the way his team is playing it may be a blessing.

Good post.

Tripp McNeely
02-21-2022, 04:00 PM
Juwan is an adult...act like one...bottom line. He'll never be able to get on to one of his 18-21 year old players who gets a little hot headed ever again

State82
02-21-2022, 04:12 PM
Nice

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 04:19 PM

That's a lie. R2D2 and a couple others certainly did, though.

MaroonFlounder
02-21-2022, 06:04 PM
Go back and read the first page of this thread. Beardo did not make this about race.

It was a thinly-veiled attempt at calling us racists, for making a big deal out of it.

MaroonFlounder
02-21-2022, 06:14 PM
. (4) why are the takes so hot for this, lol?

This reeks of.....insinuating that he views the "hot takes" as some folks viewing Juwan negatively due to racism.

Someone else linked the Don Zimmer/Pedro Martinez video. LOL. Zim should have been sent to a retirement home long before that incident, but certainly fired for attacking Pedro.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2022, 06:42 PM
This reeks of.....insinuating that he views the "hot takes" as some folks viewing Juwan negatively due to racism.

Not my fault that's where you took such an innocuous comment.

Never mentioned race. Never mentioned politics. Never called folks names or framed anyone else's opinion as racist or bias towards race. I wasn't speaking in code.

Literally just expressed an opinion that I thought all the handwringing over the whole situations was overblown considering what else we see throughout sports as a whole....and that his open-handed-graze-of-a-slap wasn't a punch.

smootness
02-21-2022, 07:17 PM
Beardo, I agree with you that you're certainly not the one who interjected race into this. But you're definitely intentionally downplaying it. No, his fist wasn't closed. But please with that 'graze' talk. He hit him in the head.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 07:30 PM

Someone else linked the Don Zimmer/Pedro Martinez video. LOL. Zim should have been sent to a retirement home long before that incident, but certainly fired for attacking Pedro.

Lol. That's all you could find? Maybe his "politics" blinded your judgement.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2022, 07:41 PM
Beardo, I agree with you that you're certainly not the one who interjected race into this.

Thanks, Smoot.

But you're definitely intentionally downplaying it. No, his fist wasn't closed. But please with that 'graze' talk. He hit him in the head.

That's fair, and you're right; I am downplaying it. I'm not downplaying that I think his actions aren't embarrassing, un-coach-like, or aren't worthy of punishment or suspension (because I do, and I said that in my 2nd or 3rd comment in this thread I think). I just didn't think it's was as big of a deal as others were making it, specifically in terms of actionable "assault" (in the legal sense) when taken with everything else we see/tolerate/celebrate/etc. all the time in sports. Should people in the sports world be held to the same standard (e.g., what constitutes an assault charge) as the rest of us when it comes to this stuff? Sure, I think so, but that's a different debate altogether.

Is my opinion on this whole thing possibly/probably wrong? Sure.

But we can debate actual opinions without putting words in people's mouths (not directed at you, obviously), especially here? I hope so.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 08:05 PM
He's been suspended for the rest of the season... as he should. After watching it for the 50th time, the only mistake he made, besides losing his cool, which happens all the time in sports, was not owning up to it later.

BrunswickDawg
02-21-2022, 08:09 PM
Thanks, Smoot.

That's fair, and you're right; I am downplaying it. I'm not downplaying that I think his actions aren't embarrassing, un-coach-like, or aren't worthy of punishment or suspension (because I do, and I said that in my 2nd or 3rd comment in this thread I think). I just didn't think it's was as big of a deal as others were making it, specifically in terms of actionable "assault" (in the legal sense) when taken with everything else we see/tolerate/celebrate/etc. all the time in sports. Should people in the sports world be held to the same standard (e.g., what constitutes an assault charge) as the rest of us when it comes to this stuff? Sure, I think so, but that's a different debate altogether.

Is my opinion on this whole thing possibly/probably wrong? Sure.

But we can debate actual opinions without putting words in people's mouths (not directed at you, obviously), especially here? I hope so.

The "fire him" reaction on here is so over the top - especially in light of how many people criticize todays players as "soft", etc. So many talk about wanting "old school" mentalities and toughness - well - Howard is being old school here.

What is even funnier is how many on here want us to hire Greg Marshall to replace Howland - knowing he punched a player and choked an assistant.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 08:18 PM
The "fire him" reaction on here is so over the top - especially in light of how many people criticize todays players as "soft", etc. So many talk about wanting "old school" mentalities and toughness - well - Howard is being old school here.

What is even funnier is how many on here want us to hire Greg Marshall to replace Howland - knowing he punched a player and choked an assistant.

Lol! But... was his assistant "woke"? If so, he/she/them may have deserved it.***

Saltydog
02-21-2022, 08:36 PM

He then deserves some old school punishment. Fire the mf'er......

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 08:47 PM
He then deserves some old school punishment. Fire the mf'er......

Glad you could cap your dumba$$ thread. Now go back to bitching about MSU football, basketball and baseball... it's what you do best. Or maybe just being a bitch is your forte? Or do you call it... "being salty". Lolz...

ETA... thanks to a suggestion on some rep I just got, your new name should be Bitchdog. I like it!

NCMSTFAN
02-21-2022, 08:57 PM

Great post!

NCMSTFAN
02-21-2022, 09:00 PM

Beard didn't bring up race, alot of other people in the thread did though which is wrong. Why does "wokeness" and race get brought into so many debates now?

EdwardDrayton
02-21-2022, 09:08 PM
?Rest of the regular season?. All five games of it. Ease up with your bad harsh selves Big Ten. ****

Saltydog
02-21-2022, 09:09 PM
Glad you could cap your dumba$$ thread. Now go back to bitching about MSU football, basketball and baseball... it's what you do best. Or maybe just being a bitch about everything is your forte? Or do you call it... "being salty". Lolz...

Oh, are your feelings hurt? You know, that will keep me up at night. Maybe you should go back to doing what you do best, criticizing the MSU fan base every time something is said or happens that you don't like. Talked about a spoiled little bitch mentality. You remind me of this quote from Kurt Vonnegut, "If your brains were dynamite, there wouldn't be enough to blow your hat off."

Turfdawg67
02-21-2022, 09:13 PM
Oh, are your feelings hurt? You know, that will keep me up at night. Maybe you should go back to doing what you do best, criticizing the MSU fan base every time something is said or happens that you don't like. Talked about a spoiled little bitch mentality. You remind me of this quote from Kurt Vonnegut, "If your brains were dynamite, there wouldn't be enough to blow your hat off."

My feelings are just fine little man, or should I say, Bitchdog?

Saltydog
02-21-2022, 09:14 PM
?Rest of the regular season?. All five games of it. Ease up with your bad harsh selves Big Ten. ****

He was also fined $40k, which sounds like a lot of money and to us it is. To Howard, it's peanuts.

Homedawg
02-21-2022, 09:41 PM

I honestly think that's fair. But he should go wo pay. Not just a 40k fine. But that's me. Lots of differing opinions on the matter, clearly.

EdwardDrayton
02-21-2022, 09:52 PM
Juwan Howard is responsible for setting the behavioral example for the young men he leads and coaches. He failed in his responsibility and it wasnt the first time. He also failed to take accountability when he had the opportunity to do so of his own accord.

The Big Ten failed as leaders by not imposing an appropriate consequence. And Warde Manuel should be ashamed for abdicating his responsibility as Juwan Howard?s AD. Poorly played by all involved.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-21-2022, 10:10 PM
Juwan Howard is responsible for setting the behavioral example for the young men he leads and coaches. He failed in his responsibility and it wasnt the first time. He also failed to take accountability when he had the opportunity to do so of his own accord.

The Big Ten failed as leaders by not imposing an appropriate consequence. And Warde Manuel should be ashamed for abdicating his responsibility as Juwan Howard?s AD. Poorly played by all involved.

Exactly. You understand leadership, accountability, and grownup behavior. Good post.

Extendedcab
02-22-2022, 09:25 AM

Bingo, give this man $100!

OLJWales
02-22-2022, 10:35 AM

****in losers lmao.

The Wokeness is because a white coach hitting a black coach and the storyline flips 180. Your posts are filled with racist accusations with only made up BS to back your ridiculous , divisive & hateful vomit. Believe it or not, there is a non racial lens to look thru with this incident. Woody Hays sez "Hi".

Catfish
02-22-2022, 11:19 AM
The Wokeness is because a white coach hitting a black coach and the storyline flips 180. Your posts are filled with racist accusations with only made up BS to back your ridiculous , divisive & hateful vomit. Believe it or not, there is a non racial lens to look thru with this incident. Woody Hays sez "Hi".

Rep!

Quaoarsking
02-22-2022, 11:21 AM

The main people looking at this 100% non-racial story are the ones like you turning this into a white grievance with the highly dubious notion that Howard is receiving preferential treatment due to being black.

You say there's a non-racial lens to look at the story, but then you don't do it yourself.

PMDawg
02-22-2022, 12:02 PM
The main people looking at this 100% non-racial story are the ones like you turning this into a white grievance with the highly dubious notion that Howard is receiving preferential treatment due to being black.

You say there's a non-racial lens to look at the story, but then you don't do it yourself.

Actually, virtually all stories in America are racial stories now, and by design. How we got there is a separate debate.

However, with every story, there is a vocal minority from one side of the spectrum either vastly overplaying or vastly underplaying the racial aspect of it. And they are angry. Very angry. Then, on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have another vocal minority taking up the opposite side (overpaying/underplaying). And they are angry. Very angry. The rest of us are just sitting here pulling our hair out watching the idiocy on repeat. And that makes us very angry.

OLJWales
02-22-2022, 12:09 PM

Nope. You can see tater's comment I replied to. Basically saying if you want the coach punished then you are racist and just can't handle "a black man showing emotion". Even though we would be saying the same if the perp was white.

Quaoarsking
02-22-2022, 12:26 PM
Nope. You can see tater's comment I replied to. Basically saying if you want the coach punished then you are racist and just can't handle "a black man showing emotion". Even though we would be saying the same if the perp was white.

I didn't say it was entirely from the "white grevance" angle, just mainly. And I was correct on that. You can go count through the posts on this thread if you're skeptical.

Quaoarsking
02-22-2022, 12:33 PM
Actually, virtually all stories in America are racial stories now, and by design. How we got there is a separate debate.

However, with every story, there is a vocal minority from one side of the spectrum either vastly overplaying or vastly underplaying the racial aspect of it. And they are angry. Very angry. Then, on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have another vocal minority taking up the opposite side (overpaying/underplaying). And they are angry. Very angry. The rest of us are just sitting here pulling our hair out watching the idiocy on repeat. And that makes us very angry.

I think most of us normal people just tune out the performative idiots on the fringes rather than getting "very angry" at them. Who cares what they say?

I seen it dawg
02-22-2022, 12:56 PM