PDA

View Full Version : Cade smith dad/granddad

preachermatt83
02-20-2022, 04:00 PM
Wasn?t cades dad or grandad a big poster here last year? Looking to hear from him. Cade has been incredible today

Coach34
02-20-2022, 04:22 PM
Basedog is his Granddeddy

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 04:24 PM

Helluva start from his grandson.

preachermatt83
02-20-2022, 04:57 PM
I know he’s proud. Kid can bring it

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 05:13 PM
Cade was huge! Big game from him when we needed it!

Coach34
02-20-2022, 05:18 PM
Yeah- Cade needs to move to Saturday. Now we got to find our Sunday guy

mparkerfd20
02-20-2022, 05:20 PM
Find a 3rd starter and we'll go far again this year. We should normally be setup to win 2 a weekend with Landon and Cade.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 05:34 PM
Yeah- Cade needs to move to Saturday. Now we got to find our Sunday guy

Word.

We've got 2 legit weekend starters and plenty of depth to find the others.

We were one of the few teams that actually played a decent team this weekend, and despite losing 2/3 we still learned a good deal about the team to be excited about.

We'll be fine.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2022, 05:37 PM
Cade showed a lot of potential last year, even though he didn’t pitch much. He’s still got a long way to go, but I like his demeanor and his approach. He seems to have a starter’s mentality and he seems very coachable. He pitched great today, but I think his best ball is ahead of him.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 05:37 PM
Here's another thought on leaving Cade as Sunday starter and I'm not saying I would but just a thought. Cade against anyone else's #3 or bullpen gives us a real good shot to win every Sunday. I've seen other coaches do this before and like I said it's just an idea and one the staff maybe entertaining.

KOdawg1
02-20-2022, 05:38 PM
He wears #15 too. That's a number that holds a lot of weight at MSU, and he's representing it well

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 05:40 PM
Here's another thought on leaving Cade as Sunday starter and I'm not saying I would but just a thought. Cade against anyone else's #3 or bullpen gives us a real good shot to win every Sunday. I've seen other coaches do this before and like I said it's just an idea and one the staff maybe entertaining.

That's a good point, but if he keeps playing like that, he's probably better than most folk's #2...and possibly #1, lol.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2022, 05:46 PM
Word.

We've got 2 legit weekend starters and plenty of depth to find the others.

We were one of the few teams that actually played a decent team this weekend, and despite losing 2/3 we still learned a good deal about the team to be excited about.

We'll be fine.

Yeah I mentioned yesterday that I thought we could still leave with a lot of momentum if we came out and dominated today...we did just that. Sometimes losing a series but winning big in the Sunday game, gives you as much of a mental boost as winning a series but losing the Sunday game big does. I'm glad we got today's game, and that we found our #2 starter....now we have to sure up the bullpen and find our #3. I feel like the bats will continue to develop and we'll be fine there. If finding a #3 starter and suring up our pen is our biggest problems after 1 series, I feel pretty good

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 05:48 PM
Yeah I mentioned yesterday that I thought we could still leave with a lot of momentum if we came out and dominated today...we did just that. Sometimes losing a series but winning big in the Sunday game, gives you as much of a mental boost as winning a series but losing the Sunday game big does. I'm glad we got today's game, and that we found our #2 starter....now we have to sure up the bullpen and find our #3. I feel like the bats will continue to develop and we'll be fine there. If finding a #3 starter and suring up our pen is our biggest problems after 1 series, I feel pretty good

Exactly. Very well said, CD.

Coach34
02-20-2022, 05:50 PM

Yeah- that philosophy is there and could be used. But I dont like it and here's why:

Inconsistent Saturday starts on the mound can tax your pen and leave you scrambling on Sunday for the 2-3 bad or average starts Cade has over his 10 SEC starts.
I like going Sims/Cade to get that 1-2 mentality for the Regional and Super.
Plus- going into Sundays 2-0 more often is better than going into Sunday 1-1 alot.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 06:02 PM
Yeah- that philosophy is there and could be used. But I dont like it and here's why:

Inconsistent Saturday starts on the mound can tax your pen and leave you scrambling on Sunday for the 2-3 bad or average starts Cade has over his 10 SEC starts.
I like going Sims/Cade to get that 1-2 mentality for the Regional and Super.
Plus- going into Sundays 2-0 more often is better than going into Sunday 1-1 alot.

Yeah I'm not sold on it either and I probably wouldn't do it myself. I have seen it work but as you said it can be dangerous. I'm thinking maybe it was a one time deal or it may just be something they try a couple weeks.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 06:05 PM

Great post and I agree. I still think Hunts got some potential as the 3 guy but has to be more consistent. He definitely has the talent t

basedog
02-20-2022, 06:25 PM

You must have heard what I said yesterday, LOL!

basedog
02-20-2022, 06:37 PM
I don't mean to brag, but I'm not surprised at what Cade did today. I said many times, he is a strike thrower who will compete and ain't scared to challenge batters. It's only one game and moving forward after this win was huge.

I also think or "heard" he has been our #2 guy all along, I am guessing but I think Hunt started Saturday because under pressure Cade would be the better pitcher for Sunday, just a hunch.

Also, way too much talk about who has had good fall and preseason practice, it's always about performing on game day. As an ex-coach and athlete, I have seen many good practice players but when the lights get turned on, they aren't quite the same.

Btw, I don't think it matters as much being the Saturday pitcher being say the #2 guy, the Sunday guy IF he is the #2 guy should give you a better chance to work latter in the innings and you could come back with Friday relivers with Sims being #1. Just me.

I think most of our relivers will come around, it's just a matter who steps up again. Pitching will win a lot of games for us with good defense.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 06:40 PM
I don't mean to brag, but I'm not surprised at what Cade did today. I said many times, he is a strike thrower who will compete and ain't scared to challenge batters. It's only one game and moving forward after this win was huge.

Congrats, sir! Really happy you get to enjoy this.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 06:42 PM
Cade was great. Proud of him. But everyone is chunking in the towel on hunt way too early. He might not be our second starter. But he's gonna help our staff. And it might be in the pen. Either way he's gonna get another start and we will go from there.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 06:50 PM
Cade was great. Proud of him. But everyone is chunking in the towel on hunt way too early. He might not be our second starter. But he's gonna help our staff. And it might be in the pen. Either way he's gonna get another start and we will go from there.

I agree. The talent is there he just lost focus on a couple hitters yesterday but I honestly thought he threw ok(not great) for his first start for the defending national champs. I think he's gonna be ok with more mound time.

basedog
02-20-2022, 06:59 PM
Congrats, sir! Really happy you get to enjoy this.

Nothing I did but many thanks! Like I told my daughter, there will always be that day when things don't go your way so enjoy the good days! LOL

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-20-2022, 07:07 PM
As is life! Congrats

Ranchdawg
02-20-2022, 07:12 PM
Basedog I know you are enjoying this ride. As a proud grandparent should. Congrats! I ran into Cam James grandfather yesterday and ended knowing him very well. Cam?s grandfather and my dad were very good friends.

CadaverDawg
02-20-2022, 07:42 PM

Not sure about everyone else, but I'm definitely not throwing in the towel on Hunt...I just think we found our #1 and #2 this weekend. Hunt could easily still be a weekend rotation guy, and I hope he is...he just didn't solidify that like the other two did this weekend.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 07:44 PM
Not sure about everyone else, but I'm definitely not throwing in the towel on Hunt...I just think we found our #1 and #2 this weekend. Hunt could easily still be a weekend rotation guy, and I hope he is...he just didn't solidify that like the other two did this weekend.

Yes absolutely.

KOdawg1
02-20-2022, 07:49 PM

KC will either be a starter or a key bullpen piece. He's not going to get pushed to the back.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 07:50 PM
You must have heard what I said yesterday, LOL!

Yes sir, I always read your posts, lol.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 07:52 PM

I also think or "heard" he has been our #2 guy all along, I am guessing but I think Hunt started Saturday because under pressure Cade would be the better pitcher for Sunday, just a hunch.

Also, way too much talk about who has had good fall and preseason practice, it's always about performing on game day. As an ex-coach and athlete, I have seen many good practice players but when the lights get turned on, they aren't quite the same.

Btw, I don't think it matters as much being the Saturday pitcher being say the #2 guy, the Sunday guy IF he is the #2 guy should give you a better chance to work latter in the innings and you could come back with Friday relivers with Sims being #1. Just me.

I think most of our relivers will come around, it's just a matter who steps up again. Pitching will win a lot of games for us with good defense.

Great post and I agree. I love the way Cade attacks hitters, too!

AlSwearengen
02-20-2022, 08:04 PM
Hunt has the talent, that is evident. I seem to remember that the story on him was that he didn’t play as much baseball as most kids at this level and he was kinda raw coming in.

I think he just needs to go thru some wars and learn what it takes to succeed.

It looked like to me like he just lost concentration. In h.s., these types of kids (those that have a lot more talent than everyone else) can relax and walk a couple, then bare down and strike out a couple and get out of a jam. At this level, they can’t relax for one pitch. Hopefully, experience helps him with that.

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2022, 08:30 PM
Wasn?t cades dad or grandad a big poster here last year? Looking to hear from him. Cade has been incredible today

Cade has "It"

Special player

Coach34
02-20-2022, 09:40 PM
Nobody is giving up on Hunt. He has a chance to do some big things for us this season.

But- with the arm talent on this team- you don’t get many chances to screw around. Hunt needs to have a good outing next weekend or we should look at someone else. Preston Johnson while valuable in relief could be a solid #3. Then you can’t forget Fristoe, Kohn, or Walling. Too many arms needing innings. Hunt has to perform on GameDay. Scrimmages and Intersquad be damned

basedog
02-20-2022, 10:10 PM
Cade has "It"

Special player

Pretty humble guy, has his head screwed on correctly. Loves MSU!

basedog
02-20-2022, 10:14 PM
Nobody is giving up on Hunt. He has a chance to do some big things for us this season.

But- with the arm talent on this team- you don’t get many chances to screw around. Hunt needs to have a good outing next weekend or we should look at someone else. Preston Johnson while valuable in relief could be a solid #3. Then you can’t forget Fristoe, Kohn, or Walling. Too many arms needing innings. Hunt has to perform on GameDay. Scrimmages and Intersquad be damned

I really like Preston Johnson, he would do well as a starter, but he is a valuable reliever. Hunt will play a huge role. Next couple weeks we tell a lot of roles from several players.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 11:42 PM

Oh for sure. It was 1 start and the whole damn team was sloppy that game.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2022, 11:46 PM
KC will either be a starter or a key bullpen piece. He's not going to get pushed to the back.

Definitely.

To think about our pitching depth in the past compared to now is just insane. And we've got guys who barely log innings that still throw gas. Crazy.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 11:51 PM
Definitely.

To think about our pitching depth in the past compared to now is just insane. And we've got guys who barely log innings that still throw gas. Crazy.

It's wild isn't it? So many good arms, great position to be in and you can never have enough arms! College coach told me one time about having enough arms "No coach ever says we lost that series because we didn't have enough left fielders!" Lol

Todd4State
02-21-2022, 02:05 AM

Completely agree. We just need to figure out what Hunt's role is. I still think it's in the bullpen. Lots of good options there too though.

Definitely.

I remember the year we had to pitch Mangum, Blaylock, and Rooker. It was actually pretty funny when Mangum started on the mound and beat Ole Miss.

I have nightmares about 2009 and 2010. And defending Butch on Sixpack when some people blamed him for our pitching situation. Like he was supposed to do something with that group.

Todd4State
02-21-2022, 02:09 AM

Usually that's because a team has an ace that's decent but near the bottom of their league but he's better than most everyone else's 3. And they figure they're going to lose to your ace anyway.

Been there and seen that before!

Usually those teams have some funky sidearm/submarine guy that they bring in like the third inning and he pitches until the eighth or ninth.

Actually, didn't we do that with Nick Routt and Caleb Reed under Cohen in like 2011? Probably just started Graveman on Saturday and hoped for the best.

Todd4State
02-21-2022, 02:17 AM
Looking at the way the schedule sets up for us pre-SEC...

We have Arkansas Pine-Bluff Tuesday. I suspect we'll see Fristoe, Walling, and Kohn. Maybe throw Tullar, Smith, or Stinnett to try to build their confidence back. We'll see.

But then we have two weeks in a row of five games.

I suspect we'll see the same three guys in the rotation for Northern Kentucky, Tulane, and Princeton. But then we have Grambling and USM followed up by two against Texas Tech. I'm guessing they'll start Fristoe and Walling or maybe Kohn in those games. That will give them some quality opponents to prove themselves against.

After that we have Binghamton between Princeton and the SEC opener. That seems like a good opponent to try to transition people to the weekend if they earn it.

I definitely agree with I think everyone on here that Cade Smith should be our Saturday guy and I was surprised that Hunt was named the Saturday guy. Sunday- I could have seen that. Smith has been good in scrimmages too so not sure what was up with that decision.

OLJWales
02-21-2022, 09:53 AM

Awesome that we have players and their relatives on ED and how privacy is respected. Like good STATE Family; unlike TSUN Folk who try to destroy lives.

Homedawg
02-21-2022, 09:57 AM
Completely agree. We just need to figure out what Hunt's role is. I still think it's in the bullpen. Lots of good options there too though.

I remember the year we had to pitch Mangum, Blaylock, and Rooker. It was actually pretty funny when Mangum started on the mound and beat Ole Miss.

I have nightmares about 2009 and 2010. And defending Butch on Sixpack when some people blamed him for our pitching situation. Like he was supposed to do something with that group.

All true. Bitch did take hell w very little talent.

Kylesandi338
02-21-2022, 10:05 AM
Its great to see our pitchers attacking hitters and not throwing 100 pitches before the end of the 5th inning. Our pitch counts were fantastic for the most part and if we can keep that up and attack hitters they should be able to go deep in games on the back end of the season when it counts. We have the talent, just need to fine tune the lineup for defense and batting and this team has a chance to be special also. One thing I did notice is we have some BIG guys at the plate this year. Hope that will translate into more power and more explosive innings. I hate to lose but feel very optimistic after seeing our starting pitching on Friday and Sunday!!

Lord McBuckethead
02-21-2022, 03:22 PM
Well it is ballsy to admit being a relation to one of our players. My nephew will be recruited big time as a QB starting this year due to him being a Junior and being the starting QB for the senior age group Nashville 7 on 7 competitive team as a player from the Memphis area. When he starts getting recruited, I will be mum on the idea.

basedog
02-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Well it is ballsy to admit being a relation to one of our players. My nephew will be recruited big time as a QB starting this year due to him being a Junior and being the starting QB for the senior age group Nashville 7 on 7 competitive team as a player from the Memphis area. When he starts getting recruited, I will be mum on the idea.

I never said much or anything on his recruitment, but I did ask him or tell him why not take visits, his reply was he knew where he wanted to go to school.

I try hard not to get into stuff about baseball.