PDA

View Full Version : High School Football question?

coachnorm
02-20-2022, 01:01 PM
A question for fellow elitedoggers is; are NFL guys taking over high school football programs, not assisting, in the Mississippi area. I understand that Phillip Rivers has overseen a small high school program in Alabama. This is learned from a distance.

Many years ago Brian Sype, the Cleveland Browns Cardiac Kids quarterback took over a small high school program in San Diego. Sype left that program to upgrade to coaching college.

Recently, Calabasas High School in Northern Los Angeles area hired Chris Claiborne, New England Patriots Super Bowl guy, to head coach the program. Claiborne brought other NFL guys as assistant coaches. I think that the staff was all walk-ons. The program ignited from a run of the mill average area team to knocking on the door against upper tiered Los Angeles programs in a couple years. Claiborne was snatched up to college coaching.

Calabasas High School just hired Cary Harris, another NFL guy, as new head coach. Harris has brought his NFL posse to coach there.

My question to fellow elitedoggers is there stories like this in Mississippi where high school football programs hire NFL guys as walk-ons to oversee and upgrade their programs?

Dak Holliday
02-21-2022, 08:58 AM
A question for fellow elitedoggers is; are NFL guys taking over high school football programs, not assisting, in the Mississippi area. I understand that Phillip Rivers has overseen a small high school program in Alabama. This is learned from a distance.

Many years ago Brian Sype, the Cleveland Browns Cardiac Kids quarterback took over a small high school program in San Diego. Sype left that program to upgrade to coaching college.

Recently, Calabasas High School in Northern Los Angeles area hired Chris Claiborne, New England Patriots Super Bowl guy, to head coach the program. Claiborne brought other NFL guys as assistant coaches. I think that the staff was all walk-ons. The program ignited from a run of the mill average area team to knocking on the door against upper tiered Los Angeles programs in a couple years. Claiborne was snatched up to college coaching.

Calabasas High School just hired Cary Harris, another NFL guy, as new head coach. Harris has brought his NFL posse to coach there.

My question to fellow elitedoggers is there stories like this in Mississippi where high school football programs hire NFL guys as walk-ons to oversee and upgrade their programs?

Didn?t Favre do this as a volunteer OC/QB coach at Oak Grove for a few years?

Cooterpoot
02-21-2022, 11:19 AM
There are a few in MS involved with programs. But not really running the programs, just volunteer assisting basically.

coachnorm
02-21-2022, 11:36 AM
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/high-school-preps/story/2022-02-19/weddle-will-take-over-as-rancho-bernardo-high-football-coach-in-2023

I thought I would ask some elitedoggers after Eric Weddle took over a job in San Diego. Linked article is the story.

parabrave
02-21-2022, 11:49 AM
Didn?t Favre do this as a volunteer OC/QB coach at Oak Grove for a few years?

Yep OC at Oak Grove/

Coach34
02-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Yeah- nobody has taken over. But have some numerous guys helping out at some schools.

parabrave
02-21-2022, 11:54 AM
Deion actually started his own school in Ft Worth about 12 years ago. He wanted an IMG type school but it very quickly fell apart due to lack of standards for academics and a host of other problems. Maybe OLW Josey can spread some light on it

viverlibre
02-21-2022, 01:15 PM
Former USM star LB and three year NFL veteran, Rod Davis, is HC at Florence.