PDA

View Full Version : After two games thoughts

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 07:39 PM
1. Hunt needs to be in the bullpen. Want to see Walling and Auger before I comment a whole lot on it.

2. Fristoe needs to be pitching Sundays with Cade pitching Saturdays.

3. We need to take Yeager out of the lead off spot at a minimum. Either go with Hancock or Corder.

4. I want to see Alford at third and move Kam to second. Leave Corder in center. I think that will help the defense unless Kam struggles big time at second and then we'll revisit.

5. We need to work on PFP with Cam Tullar needing extra attention. Not sure if it's lack of communication or being over aggressive but he and LoTan had no business trying to field those bunts they screwed up.

6. We looked like MSU 2009 or 2010 out there today. We'll be fine but Lemonis is going to have to figure out where some guys fit and what their roles actually are. Hunt, Tullar, and Stinnett are not what they show in practice.

KOdawg1
02-19-2022, 07:43 PM
Looked very 2015ish to me. Need to get it together quick

OLJWales
02-19-2022, 07:48 PM
Being unprepared is unsettling because our talent level doesn't reflect what's been shown. Maybe the coaches got them some fat little girlfriends too.

Homedawg
02-19-2022, 07:56 PM
1. Hunt needs to be in the bullpen. Want to see Walling and Auger before I comment a whole lot on it.

2. Fristoe needs to be pitching Sundays with Cade pitching Saturdays.

3. We need to take Yeager out of the lead off spot at a minimum. Either go with Hancock or Corder.

4. I want to see Alford at third and move Kam to second. Leave Corder in center. I think that will help the defense unless Kam struggles big time at second and then we'll revisit.

5. We need to work on PFP with Cam Tullar needing extra attention. Not sure if it's lack of communication or being over aggressive but he and LoTan had no business trying to field those bunts they screwed up.

6. We looked like MSU 2009 or 2010 out there today. We'll be fine but Lemonis is going to have to figure out where some guys fit and what their roles actually are. Hunt, Tullar, and Stinnett are not what they show in practice.

Let's play a few weekends before w start jumping to a whole bunch of conclusions. It will work out. But i have to ask why Fristoe needs to be the Sunday guy when he hasn't thrown strikes either. Fristoe and walling are the same dude. Just one is left handed.

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 08:01 PM
Let's play a few weekends before w start jumping to a whole bunch of conclusions. It will work out. But i have to ask why Fristoe needs to be the Sunday guy when he hasn't thrown strikes either. Fristoe and walling are the same dude. Just one is left handed.

Fristoe has been better than Walling in scrimmages and has SEC weekend experience.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 08:04 PM

This. Also if we started out against Charleston southern or some other podunk team and slaughtered them in 3 games everyone would be all puffed up about us. We just happened to start with a top 25 who returned just about everyone and they can pitch, lbsu has always had elite pitching. I'm not thrilled with the last 2 games but dang it's the first 2 of the season. The game got out of hand today because we threw 2 pitchers who won't see much mound time this year and they got lit up. Lemonis and Foxhall do this with our pitchers early every year to see who they're gonna be able to count on later in the year. Also no reason to move Yeager from 2B the guy has the range and arm of a SS at second and is a proven hitter with power, now I don't know if he should stay at leadoff but no reason to bench him and put Kam at second. Yeah i like winning just like everyone else and the season has started with a thud but best to see how it plays out over the next few weeks before making wholsesale changes.

Homedawg
02-19-2022, 08:11 PM
Yeager is going to be fine. He's going to hit w some power and play a solid second.

Homedawg
02-19-2022, 08:14 PM
Fristoe has been better than Walling in scrimmages and has SEC weekend experience.

Not really. Fristoe was ok last week, walling wasn't. Week before walling was pretty good and Fristoe was garbage. Fact is, they both have command issues. One game they can shove it and the next three might stink. At this point anyway. Gonna have to see a whole lot of food outings to change my mind. But it's possible.

basedog
02-19-2022, 08:15 PM
It’s too early to get a real feel. I think we will experiment with some positions.
Also Long Beach State is probably a top 10 team according to Ron Polk. I was at the game and they have it all, pitching, hitting and defense. They played their best, we did not.

Btw, I drove up get close and traffic was ridiculous with folks trying to park (Which is crazy imo). It sucked, I finally got parked and got to my seat just in time for first pitch.

Great crowd, Super Regional crowd, I’m sure this will regress till we get to Sec play.

Need a win Sunday, Cade has always been a strike thrower, walks hurt big time today! I like our chances Sunday, LOL.

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 08:19 PM
A lot of it is if we move Kam to the outfield then we're sitting one of Corder, Kellum, Cumbest or Hines.

I'm just not feeling Yeager right now. Especially at lead off. He has been way too aggressive for my liking at that spot.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-19-2022, 08:22 PM
A lot of it is if we move Kam to the outfield then we're sitting one of Corder, Kellum, Cumbest or Hines.

I'm just not feeling Yeager right now. Especially at lead off. He has been way too aggressive for my liking at that spot.

I like Corder in center. I like his upside at the plate compared to Skinner.

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 08:28 PM

He definitely took better at bats. I think he might bring some toughness to the lineup as well.

Homedawg
02-19-2022, 08:42 PM

I think if corder had played in the fall it would already be done. It's coming.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-19-2022, 08:45 PM
So many hot takes based on 1/5th the info needed in this sport to come to any conclusions. Players have bad weekends, teams as a whole underestimate their opponents, pitchers have an off outing... you can't read ANYTHING out of 2 games.

Hunt had a bad game but it's too early to call him a bullpen guy.

Alford might should be at 3rd but again, 1) not enough data, and 2) you mention "help with the defense" when we literally haven't seen an error yet at the positions you want to change so... what room for "help' are you seeing? Makes me think your holding onto preseason theories.

the team isn't playing to their potential. That says NOTHING about their ceiling being low, it says NOTHING about the coaches being bad (they just won us a Natty guys....) and it says NOTHING about us going forward. IMO, I think this team thinks they're hot shit after the Natty and they need to get their ass beat a weekend or 2 to wake them up.

In the mean time, we have solid defense, very talented arms (many of which proved themselves last season), some good returning hitters to go with highly desired new guys, and a National Championship coaching staff all coming back. Chill out on the "we need to do X" conclusions. Lemo will push the right buttons in time and have the team dialed in come postseason

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 08:45 PM

I'm not sold on Yeager at leadoff either but the guy can hit. I've watched him
the last few years and he has big power and great bat speed, but yeah I probably move him down in the order some but Lem knows way more than me lol.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 08:46 PM
I think if corder had played in the fall it would already be done. It's coming.

I watched Corder in juco last year and he can really play. Good power can run and is good on defense with a good arm. He's gonna be a player.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-19-2022, 08:48 PM
I'm not sold on Yeager at leadoff either but the guy can hit. I've watched him
the last few years and he has big power and great bat speed, but yeah I probably move him down in the order some but Lem knows way more than me lol.

All that needs to be said. It's one thing to talk about how the guys looked, it's another thing to say "we need to do X" as if you actually know anything about a Baseball team after seeing 2 games

CadaverDawg
02-19-2022, 08:50 PM
We can still come away with momentum from this weekend if we can just put together a strong outing tomorrow. Winning cures all, and we just need to avoid the sweep and get a good W tomorrow and put those first two behind us. Learn from them and be better the next day.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 08:51 PM
Yeager is going to be fine. He's going to hit w some power and play a solid second.

Yeah I agree. Dude is a ss playing second. He has great range and a big arm which is icing for a 2B. He has some good pop too and will hit for us.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 08:52 PM
We can still come away with momentum from this weekend if we can just put together a strong outing tomorrow. Winning cures all, and we just need to avoid the sweep and get a good W tomorrow and put those first two behind us. Learn from them and be better the next day.

Yes sir, great post.

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 08:54 PM
So many hot takes based on 1/5th the info needed in this sport to come to any conclusions. Players have bad weekends, teams as a whole underestimate their opponents, pitchers have an off outing... you can't read ANYTHING out of 2 games.

Hunt had a bad game but it's too early to call him a bullpen guy.

Alford might should be at 3rd but again, 1) not enough data, and 2) you mention "help with the defense" when we literally haven't seen an error yet at the positions you want to change so... what room for "help' are you seeing? Makes me think your holding onto preseason theories.

the team isn't playing to their potential. That says NOTHING about their ceiling being low, it says NOTHING about the coaches being bad (they just won us a Natty guys....) and it says NOTHING about us going forward. IMO, I think this team thinks they're hot shit after the Natty and they need to get their ass beat a weekend or 2 to wake them up.

In the mean time, we have solid defense, very talented arms (many of which proved themselves last season), some good returning hitters to go with highly desired new guys, and a National Championship coaching staff all coming back. Chill out on the "we need to do X" conclusions. Lemo will push the right buttons in time and have the team dialed in come postseason

Kam's first step on balls hit to him looks slow to me. It's caused some balls to get by him.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-19-2022, 09:00 PM
Kam's first step on balls hit to him looks slow to me. It's caused some balls to get by him.

And moving Cam to 2nd -where you need even more range- is your solution??

If James is too slow to play 3rd then he needs to be *DH

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 09:03 PM
And moving Cam to 2nd -where you need even more range- is your solution??

If James is too slow to play 3rd then he needs to be HD

The reaction time isn't as big as issue as it is at third base.

Kam has played shortstop before.

Some scouts like Kam at second too.

Captain Falcon
02-19-2022, 09:25 PM
I think the 9 guys in our lineup today might be the ones that are in there the most all year, just a matter of finding the right spots for everyone.

I agree with Yeager not really being a lead off guy but I think he still has a place in the lineup.

Willing to give Hunt another chance, I thought he was relatively OK through three innings. Maybe he ends up in the bullpen eventually but I think he does have a big role on this team.

Would make me feel a lot better about things if Cade has a good game tomorrow. I am curious to see who comes out of the pen tomorrow as well, Walker is only newcomer we?ve seen so far and that was pretty clearly a mop up stint.

Coach34
02-19-2022, 09:41 PM
Kam is playing OF on the next level. One Eyed Willie can see that

We will be fine. We are playing a good team and some of our new parts have to get acclimated to Top 10 D-1 baseball. Wake me up when its April

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 09:45 PM
Kam is playing OF on the next level. One Eyed Willie can see that

We will be fine. We are playing a good team and some of our new parts have to get acclimated to Top 10 D-1 baseball. Wake me up when its April

I agree, good post. Yeah Kam should be in cf in pro ball.

HoopsDawg
02-19-2022, 09:50 PM
The 9 today is my favorite 9. LT and Hancock need to get going. I could see Corder being moved to leadoff at some point. Clark is 2-29 this spring in 8 scrimmages and 2 games. Maybe work Kam James a little in CF and Corder in RF just to give Alford some AB's and let Clark re-focus.

Lemonis and Foxhall rewarded Hunt today for a good spring. I think he will move back to the pen soon, but somebody has to step up and be the 3rd starter. Hopefully Cade Smith gives 5 good innings tomorrow.

Coach34
02-19-2022, 10:20 PM
Stinnett looked just like last year. No marbles. He may have grown some and just didnt show it yesterday- but I'm skeptical. He gets a couple more shots and if no change it back to midweek relief

Saltydog
02-19-2022, 10:25 PM
Yeah, we've obviously got to get more sticks in the lineup and that certainly includes Alford but unfortunately there's no easy answers on how we should do that. We do know that Skinner and Jess Davis obviously aren't the answers in CF. As for Yeager, well he's certainly not the prototypical leadoff guy but we just don't have one this year.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2022, 10:31 PM
Yeah, we've obviously got to get more sticks in the lineup and that certainly includes Alford but unfortunately there's no easy answers on how we should do that. We do know that Skinner and Jess Davis obviously aren't the answers in CF. As for Yeager, well he's certainly not the prototypical leadoff guy but we just don't have one this year.

Corder fits the leadoff bill but he just isn't quite there yet. He's fast with some pop. He was a terror at leadoff for hinds last year he just needs seasoning and I think he'll eventually wind up leading off, just my opinion though which dont mean much.

EdwardDrayton
02-19-2022, 10:36 PM
Much much too early to be talking changes.

Mjoelner34
02-19-2022, 11:00 PM
Thoughts about the team and players have already been covered. Here is one about the stadium.

The worst decision ever made in baseball was the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees. A close 2nd is the genius who put a concession stand in centerfield (where 99.9% of the people bring their own food and drink) instead of adding restroom space. This is in February guys. Wait until the weather and the team both heat up.

basedog
02-19-2022, 11:01 PM
Corder fits the leadoff bill but he just isn't quite there yet. He's fast with some pop. He was a terror at leadoff for hinds last year he just needs seasoning and I think he'll eventually wind up leading off, just my opinion though which dont mean much.

My first time watching him play. He had a nice hit, I could see him leading off. I'm not familiar (yet) with Coder or Yeager to really have an opinion. LOL
I do with pitchers that saw action last year, but I'm gonna stay in my lane for a few more weeks. LOL
Lastly, I think most get way ti "hyped up" on certain players in practice. Games are the real deal as we all know.

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 11:02 PM
Much much too early to be talking changes.

It's more let's try this and see what happens than let's change it.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2022, 11:13 PM

Pretty much how I feel.

TNDawg35
02-19-2022, 11:35 PM
About the only thing I would change is the line up. I would shake it up some. Letting other guys play is a mid week thing unless they look lost like Skinner did yest. I understand benching him. You can’t take Clark’s bat out cause he needs the reps and will be a huge bat once he comes around…

I would go…

Yeager
Hancock
Hines
LoTan
James
Clark
Cumbest
Forsythe
Corder

I really think tho we need to figure out how to get Alfords bat in it tho. I just don’t know how we can have Hines, Alford, and James in unless we move James to CF.

I really don’t like our line up right now. We got some huge holes that were there last year also, they were just masked by the good ones.

Something else I thought, how come we never have that true freshman that seems to be an absolute stud in the line up like LSU, Vandy, or FL has. Ark has Stovall (dude will rake) this year, and Hell even Ole Miss had one in Gonzales last year. I mean I know baseball recruiting is done at a really young age, and I truly think Hines will be that way once he gets enough at bats.

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 11:44 PM
About the only thing I would change is the line up. I would shake it up some. Letting other guys play is a mid week thing unless they look lost like Skinner did yest. I understand benching him. You can’t take Clark’s bat out cause he needs the reps and will be a huge bat once he comes around…

I would go…

Yeager
Hancock
Hines
LoTan
James
Clark
Cumbest
Forsythe
Corder

I really think tho we need to figure out how to get Alfords bat in it tho. I just don’t know how we can have Hines, Alford, and James in unless we move James to CF.

I really don’t like our line up right now. We got some huge holes that were there last year also, they were just masked by the good ones.

Something else I thought, how come we never have that true freshman that seems to be an absolute stud in the line up like LSU, Vandy, or FL has. Ark has Stovall (dude will rake) this year, and Hell even Ole Miss had one in Gonzales last year. I mean I know baseball recruiting is done at a really young age, and I truly think Hines will be that way once he gets enough at bats.

That's kind of my point though. We can't get Alford in unless we bench one of the four of Corder, Cumbest, Clark, or Hines. So I came up with benching Yeager.

Mangum and TA were both pretty good even as freshmen.

Homedawg
02-19-2022, 11:49 PM
That's kind of my point though. We can't get Alford in unless we bench one of the four of Corder, Cumbest, Clark, or Hines. So I came up with benching Yeager.

Mangum and TA were both pretty good even as freshmen.

Yeager isn't getting benched. Nor should he... 2 games is what you are basing it off of ... now if you want to bench others maybe. And Forsythe isn't going anywhere before someone goes there. Not happening any time soon

Todd4State
02-19-2022, 11:53 PM
Yeager isn't getting benched. Nor should he... 2 games is what you are basing it off of ... now if you want to bench others maybe. And Forsythe isn't going anywhere before someone goes there. Not happening any time soon

But again who do you bench? It's sort of a case of having too many players in a way. Which is not the worst thing ever.

It's about finding the right balance. We took a similar chance last year benching Landon Jordan, moving Kam to third, and starting Forsythe because the defense was struggling.

Cooterpoot
02-20-2022, 12:12 AM
After two games....I'd just stop there. It's two games. Coaches are feeling things out still. Team needs time to gel. New guys need time to adjust. This ain't last year. We aren't playing a cupcake to open.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 12:13 AM
After two games....I'd just stop there. It's two games. Coaches are feeling things out still. Team needs time to gel. New guys need time to adjust. This ain't last year. We aren't playing a cupcake to open.

Nailed it.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2022, 12:16 AM
But again who do you bench? It's sort of a case of having too many players in a way. Which is not the worst thing ever.

It's about finding the right balance. We took a similar chance last year benching Landon Jordan, moving Kam to third, and starting Forsythe because the defense was struggling.

Kam is not going to 2nd.

Kam could start in CF maybe so Alford could play 3B. Or Clark could take a game off.

Downs hit better in the scrimmages than Alford though.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2022, 12:18 AM

I love playing tough competition early so you can figure out your weaknesses.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 12:19 AM
I love playing tough competition early so you can figure out your weaknesses.

Same here. Sharpens you quick.

Activated Alpha
02-20-2022, 12:20 AM

Last season we opened against Texas, TCU, and TT. Not really cupcakes unless I misread your statement. However, I do know we are missing the balls from Bednar, Rowdy, and TA to motivate this team....

parabrave
02-20-2022, 01:10 AM
Last season we opened against Texas, TCU, and TT. Not really cupcakes unless I misread your statement. However, I do know we are missing the balls from Bednar, Rowdy, and TA to motivate this team....

And if I remember correctly it took awhile for Rowdy to get going.

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2022, 01:12 AM

Last time we saw Fristoe start, he did not last 1 inning. It was 1/3 of an Inning with 3 runs to Campbell

I hope JF is better but if the Fall All Stars (Stinnett and Hunt) look exactly the same, then thats something to consider.

It's Tepper time, he was pretty good in the Cape and he's a big recruit too

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 09:07 AM
All that needs to be said. It's one thing to talk about how the guys looked, it's another thing to say "we need to do X" as if you actually know anything about a Baseball team after seeing 2 games

Ok so shut the board down, all opinions don't count because of a coaching staff. Dude, chill folks just giving their opinions. That is what a fan board does.

Of course coach has a larger sampling and more baseball experience than all of us. Talking is what fans do.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 09:29 AM
Ok so shut the board down, all opinions don't count because of a coaching staff. Dude, chill folks just giving their opinions. That is what a fan board does.

Of course coach has a larger sampling and more baseball experience than all of us. Talking is what fans do.

So he gave his opinion, his doesn't count??.... works both ways

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2022, 10:13 AM
Kam is not going to 2nd.

Kam could start in CF maybe so Alford could play 3B. Or Clark could take a game off.

Downs hit better in the scrimmages than Alford though.

SS - Yeager
2B - Corder (if he hits)
3B - Alford
CF - Kam

Then you bring Forsythe along as his hitting tool improves and late inning defender. This leaves Cumbest, Clark, and Hines in the game.

smootness
02-20-2022, 10:35 AM
SS - Yeager
2B - Corder (if he hits)
3B - Alford
CF - Kam

Then you bring Forsythe along as his hitting tool improves and late inning defender. This leaves Cumbest, Clark, and Hines in the game.

That would be a really weak defense overall.

Homedawg
02-20-2022, 11:24 AM

Forsythe is going to be the ss. And yes that defense would be brutal.

Coach34
02-20-2022, 11:46 AM
We?re not moving Foreskin out at SS. Nor should we. He is a plus defender. As long as he breaks the Mendoza line we good. People here wanted Belmont to keep playing when he couldn?t hit his weight. Amazing

It?s early. We?ll get it together

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2022, 12:07 PM

Really? Yeager is a SS and Corder is a SS at their previous school. By the way, Lemonis has said that Alford can play 2B quite well.

In 2021 one kid had a 969 and another 930. Guess who is who at SS.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2022, 12:20 PM
Really? Yeager is a SS and Corder is a SS at their previous school. By the way, Lemonis has said that Alford can play 2B quite well.

Corder played cf his 2 years at hinds. There's a reason they moved him to cf. he's not an infielder.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2022, 01:13 PM

Alford at 2B is an interesting option down the road. Let's not forget that opening day last year Hatcher, McGowan, and L. Jordan were all in the starting lineup.

R2Dawg
02-20-2022, 05:08 PM
So he gave his opinion, his doesn't count??.... works both ways

I never said his opinion didn't count, read the post. He was attacking someone else's opinion. He can have his opinion all day. He wasn't giving an opinion he was attacking anyone else saying anything about the game because he isn't head coach. Well, if that is the case shut the board down. Do you understand the difference? Night and day his post and mine.

Coach34
02-20-2022, 05:41 PM
Alford at 2B is an interesting option down the road. Let's not forget that opening day last year Hatcher, McGowan, and L. Jordan were all in the starting lineup.

Alford is listed as 6'3/220. He's not going to play 2B

RougeDawg
02-21-2022, 12:41 PM
Corder played cf his 2 years at hinds. There's a reason they moved him to cf. he's not an infielder.

I think Corder at leadoff would be only change to make going into this week. He has a ton of experience and from what I saw this weekend he has more of a plan at the plate than any of the other hitters. He adds some pop to the leadoff too.

Move Yeager down in the lineup until he gets his confidence and then you can adjust the lineup going forward. Your leadoff guy sets the tone and I think that really hurt 1st game.

And damnit, start laying down some bunts for hits early in the game. No sacrifices. Drag and push bunts. Get the defense and pitchers thinking and on their heels early. Get them out of their game plan. Pitches will get more fat and the offense will open up. LBST did this in game 2. We need to add this to the offense with the guys who can bunt. Assuming Corder is one of those guys.

Commercecomet24
02-21-2022, 12:49 PM
I think Corder at leadoff would be only change to make going into this week. He has a ton of experience and from what I saw this weekend he has more of a plan at the plate than any of the other hitters. He adds some pop to the leadoff too.

Move Yeager down in the lineup until he gets his confidence and then you can adjust the lineup going forward. Your leadoff guy sets the tone and I think that really hurt 1st game.

And damnit, start laying down some bunts for hits early in the game. No sacrifices. Drag and push bunts. Get the defense and pitchers thinking and on their heels early. Get them out of their game plan. Pitches will get more fat and the offense will open up. LBST did this in game 2. We need to add this to the offense with the guys who can bunt. Assuming Corder is one of those guys.

Yeah and Corder can run too. He has some pop and can steal a base. He killed Jones last year. I got to watch him in person a lot. The kid can play.

PMDawg
02-22-2022, 10:57 AM
We lost 3 of our best 4 players from last year. On top of that, they were all high energy leaders/sparkplugs. Only Sims remains from that group. He still did his thing Friday. We need Logan Tanner, Kam James, Luke Hancock, or Kellum Clark to step into that leadership role. We need another high energy bullpen guy to develop too. But it's early in the season. We'll figure it out.