PDA

View Full Version : If Ray can sign one big star player every few years, he can win big here.....

Goat Holder
11-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Let me be the first to say I like how he's recruiting. Signing the 3 star guys that want to play just to play the game. And he seems to be sticking around MS and the surrounding areas, at least now that he's settled in here. I think you can do well with just the MS guys, with a few from AL, GA, LA and TN sprinkled in here and there.

But honestly, if he wants to rise up, I think there's really only one answer: Malik Newman. Ray seems to be similar to Williams in his coaching, and suddenly, when Williams got Dampier, up we went to a tourney team. Now 96 was due to two NBA capable players, but even without Jones, I think we're a tourney team in 96 too, capable of winning a few there.

Dampier was a MS guy. That's who we have to sign. The star MS players. With the NBA rule the way it is, we can't afford to let any more Hoods get away. We have to get the Monta Ellis, the Jonathan Bender. Now it's Malik Newman. Booker was not a MS guy anyway, so I disregard him.

That's why showing that we are an average (or maybe a tad below) this year, and an average to above average team in year 3, is going to be so big. We need to show Newman that he is the missing piece to become a tournament team or better.

Anyway, that's my basketball-ignorant analysis of what I've seen. I also think Stricklin searched out a guy like Ray. Sure, he probably missed on a few hotshots, but it wasn't near as bad as some make it seem. I mean, I was a Stans supporter but it was clear at the end he'd become arrogant and complacent, and needed be run out.

DawgInMemphis
11-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Let me be the first to say I like how he's recruiting. Signing the 3 star guys that want to play just to play the game. And he seems to be sticking around MS and the surrounding areas, at least now that he's settled in here. I think you can do well with just the MS guys, with a few from AL, GA, LA and TN sprinkled in here and there.

But honestly, if he wants to rise up, I think there's really only one answer: Malik Newman. Ray seems to be similar to Williams in his coaching, and suddenly, when Williams got Dampier, up we went to a tourney team. Now 96 was due to two NBA capable players, but even without Jones, I think we're a tourney team in 96 too, capable of winning a few there.

Dampier was a MS guy. That's who we have to sign. The star MS players. With the NBA rule the way it is, we can't afford to let any more Hoods get away. We have to get the Monta Ellis, the Jonathan Bender. Now it's Malik Newman. Booker was not a MS guy anyway, so I disregard him.

That's why showing that we are an average (or maybe a tad below) this year, and an average to above average team in year 3, is going to be so big. We need to show Newman that he is the missing piece to become a tournament team or better.

Anyway, that's my basketball-ignorant analysis of what I've seen. I also think Stricklin searched out a guy like Ray. Sure, he probably missed on a few hotshots, but it wasn't near as bad as some make it seem. I mean, I was a Stans supporter but it was clear at the end he'd become arrogant and complacent, and needed be run out.

I would agree with all of this.

DawgPoundRock
11-21-2013, 03:32 PM

I agree with all of this if we get Newman, then I believe we will be on a definite upward trend

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-21-2013, 03:33 PM

Devonta Pollard is out there.

We are not getting Newman. 0% chance. We don't have to get the #1 player in the nation to compete in the SEC.

Goat Holder
11-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't say that. He's from Jackson. His dad had a successful career at MSU. I bet we have much more of a chance than you give us credit for. We've got another year. He did say this:

?Mississippi is home. It?s not everyday a kid from our state gets this much national attention,? Webster said. ?But if Callaway had made some boneheaded move that didn?t fit Malik?s style, we would have had to consider it a little bit more.?

Dawg61
11-21-2013, 03:52 PM
MSU should hire his dad as a coach tomorrow

Coach34
11-21-2013, 03:55 PM
We are not getting Newman. 0% chance. We don't have to get the #1 player in the nation to compete in the SEC.

We'd have to match Kentucky's offer to even get in the game- and Kentucky wants to make Newman as well paid as Les Koenning

Dawg61
11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
We'd have to match Kentucky's offer to even get in the game- and Kentucky wants to make Newman as well paid as Les Koenning

Haha Les Koenning has an 8 figure shoe deal awaiting him too? Wow

Coach34
11-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Haha Les Koenning has an 8 figure shoe deal awaiting him too? Wow

I'm just talking Kentucky's part...he'll get a shoe deal wherever he goes

Ronny
11-21-2013, 04:02 PM
...0 inside knowledge of Miss. State basketball recruiting.

But my gut tells me we have a shot at Malik Newman.

There are just too many positves in our favor for us not to have a chance.

cujo
11-21-2013, 04:10 PM
So you're telling me there's a chance.... Yeah!! I read you

tcdog70
11-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Pollard would be His best shot at a 5 star player. He is scoring around 20 at Scooba and turned State's witness against His Mother, after she refused to take a plea deal that would clear Her Son. She said it wasn't anything in it for Her.

Coach34
11-21-2013, 06:14 PM
What a ****

If he is keeping his nose clean and working hard- no reason to not give him a 2nd chance

RC3
11-21-2013, 06:16 PM
What a ****

If he is keeping his nose clean and working hard- no reason to not give him a 2nd chance

agreed especially if she is being relocated to Central MS Correctional Facility

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Paul Jones says we have a 60% chance to sign Newman. He's usually pretty balanced.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Speaking of Monta Ellis. Who would have been on the roster with him if he came to State?

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Speaking of Monta Ellis. Who would have been on the roster with him if he came to State?

We could have started:

Jamont Gordon, Monta Ellis, Reggie Delk, Charles Rhodes, and Walter Sharpe

Coach34
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Paul Jones says we have a 60% chance to sign Newman. He's usually pretty balanced.

I'm getting this from someone alot closer to the situation than Jonesy...Horatio is in control of the recruitment and he is giving us a fair shake. He appreciates Ray working his butt off to recruit his son also- but in the end- it's my opinion that the Kentucky program and the money being offered will be more than we can overcome.

HoopsDawg
11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm getting this from someone alot closer to the situation than Jonesy...Horatio is in control of the recruitment and he is giving us a fair shake. He appreciates Ray working his butt off to recruit his son also- but in the end- it's my opinion that the Kentucky program and the money being offered will be more than we can overcome.

I can appreciate that, but Newman is going to make a lot of dough in the NBA. Can he not wait 1 year to become a multi-millionaire?

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-21-2013, 09:51 PM
We could have started:

Jamont Gordon, Monta Ellis, Reggie Delk, Charles Rhodes, and Walter Sharpe

That would have been a monstrous starting 5. That year would have been a lot of fun

hacker
11-21-2013, 10:52 PM
I can appreciate that, but Newman is going to make a lot of dough in the NBA. Can he not wait 1 year to become a multi-millionaire?

This is how I feel towards the situation.

That said, if someone was offering me a shitload of money now, or a shitload of money next year, I'd definitely take it now.

Dawg61
11-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Pollard would be His best shot at a 5 star player. He is scoring around 20 at Scooba and turned State's witness against His Mother, after she refused to take a plea deal that would clear Her Son. She said it wasn't anything in it for Her.

Wow that is so ****ed up!! I'm all for signing Pollard now after hearing that.

engie
11-22-2013, 01:07 AM
How is posting about Newman being on the take EVERY time his name comes up in ANY WAY good for MSU?

Rick Danko
11-22-2013, 06:59 AM
How is posting about Newman being on the take EVERY time his name comes up in ANY WAY good for MSU?

Heavily agree. Why not just go ahead and call him Cam 2.0. "In the end the money was too much...."

We may have a good shot, may have no chance, and I don't pretend to be any kind of insider, but it is a fact if I was a recruits dad in any sport, I would definitely take offense to coming on a message board to read how myself and my high school kid are on the take to the highest bidder.

Coach34
11-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Yep- I bet they are reading this going "we'll show them and sign with the school they are saying is offering us money. That'll show them"

Allow me to correct something you said- "Cam Newton 2.0"- they aren't out there soliciting money from schools like the Newtons. They are not playing schools against each other to drive the price up. But- schools are indeed throwing money out at them- that is high-level basketball recruiting. It is what it is. What Kentucky has presented them to them is very attractive and will be hard to pass up. If they do- they will have my ultimate respect because very few people would.

Rick Danko
11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=Coach34;92129]Yep- I bet they are reading this going "we'll show them and sign with the school they are saying is offering us money. That'll show them"

I knew this was going to be the response. Seems to be the answer to any instance where someone is questioned for posting about a recruit on a message board when money may or may not be involved, "I'm so sure they are paying attention to my post and saying screw State, they talk about me on message boards"

Yet isn't this the same board that has a future qb's dad on it that has posted before saying recruits and families do indeed read these boards and whether we want to believe it or not, it can have some affect.

Do I think your original post about Newman will have ANY influence on if he signs with us or not. No, I think he could give a shit. However, I stand by the idea it certainly doesn't help, and we absolutely need all the help we can get to sign him, be it coaches, boosters, social media LOVE (not accusations of impropriety because we prob won't get him), etc.

JMHO.

Rick Danko
11-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Allow me to correct something you said- "Cam Newton 2.0"- they aren't out there soliciting money from schools like the Newtons. They are not playing schools against each other to drive the price up. But- schools are indeed throwing money out at them- that is high-level basketball recruiting. It is what it is. What Kentucky has presented them to them is very attractive and will be hard to pass up. If they do- they will have my ultimate respect because very few people would.

Oh I have no doubt whatsoever schools are throwing sacks of cash at them, they and we would be crazy not to IF that is what it takes. And I am sure they are not having to go around asking for it. Was simply making a comparison based on $$$$'s and a recent name, nothing more.

Would love nothing more for them to say "we are above all of this" and come on home to State. He could absolutely be the player which makes or breaks Rick Ray.

Coach34
11-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Well, it's just the system and the kids you are dealing with in basketball.

These kids get recruited thru AAU. The top end guys play AAU ball all over the country. How do you think they are able to do that? You think Tyrone's Chicken Shack or Rotavious's Bail Bonds are footing the 10K bill for a team to go to Vegas, LA, and other showcases for a 5-7 day event? Their parents? No damn way. So the money is coming into these types of deals early. Some AAU programs require a fee to be paid to the program before a school can even begin to recruit one of their kids. That's just the way that system is run now and there really is nothing the NCAA can do about it.

Also, these kids dont grow up wanting to play college basketball. It's all about the NBA. It's about getting that paycheck and living large. So for many of these kids- college is just pre-NBA and they expect some of the same treatment.

Rick Danko
11-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Rotavious's Bail Bonds

Don't knock Rotavious, they got me out of the clink once****

RC3
11-22-2013, 08:58 AM
I can see nothing positive by posting in a public forum that malik newman is for sale, true or not...just my .02