PDA

View Full Version : Way too early Hot Board discussion

Bulldog1
02-12-2022, 10:32 PM
We need a young coach who's teams play fast and can shoot and will run some full court pressure defense.

If the season ended today, who would you want coaching us next year?

KOdawg1
02-12-2022, 10:37 PM
Sean Miller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Miller

Matt McMahon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_McMahon_(basketball)

Todd Golden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Golden

Chris Mack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mack_(basketball)

Leeshouldveflanked
02-12-2022, 10:37 PM
The season ended several games back.

Bulldog1
02-12-2022, 10:38 PM
One name I've heard floating around is Bob Richey from Furman.

KOdawg1
02-12-2022, 10:41 PM
One name I've heard floating around is Bob Richey from Furman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Richey

Bdawg
02-12-2022, 10:57 PM
Doesn't seem way to early to me

EdwardDrayton
02-13-2022, 12:00 AM
How about a little out of the box thinking. Go after Dawn Staley as our AD and I?ll wager her coaching hires for men?s and women?s basketball will be impressive.

Hambone
02-13-2022, 12:07 AM
That’s not just a little out of the box……..

KOdawg1
02-13-2022, 10:25 AM
How about a little out of the box thinking. Go after Dawn Staley as our AD and I?ll wager her coaching hires for men?s and women?s basketball will be impressive.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ukGm72ZLZvYfS/giphy.gif

WhiskeyPirate
02-13-2022, 10:48 AM

Are you serious ?

BeastMan
02-13-2022, 10:58 AM

I almost want to ban you for this idea

Coach34
02-13-2022, 12:48 PM

Put that shit back in the box and throw it in the dumpster

DownwardDawg
02-13-2022, 01:25 PM

Lol

donald igwebuike
02-13-2022, 01:42 PM
We need a young coach who's teams play fast and can shoot and will run some full court pressure defense.

If the season ended today, who would you want coaching us next year?

this team would melt under his leadership but he'd build back better

Ifyouonlyknew
02-13-2022, 01:43 PM
this team would melt under his leadership but he'd build back better

Please let’s stop with this BS

StarkVegasSteve
02-13-2022, 02:02 PM
Home Run Hires:

1. Sean Miller- He got a raw deal at Arizona and hell Wade and Pearl are both coaching in the SEC so come on down. The guy puts teams in the tournament.
2. Rick Pitino- He's a legend for a reason and he'd bring excitement in a minute. I would probably move him up to 1 if he could get Richard Pitino to come be an asst. and have a ready made former HC ready to take over when Pitino retires.
3. Gregg Marshall- This one would be controversial to say the least. We would need to do our homework on him and make sure we know what we're getting but the guy wins. And that's all that matters at the end of the day.
4. Matt McMahon- Has built a power at Murray and has them rolling. I imagine he's going to get the Louisville job though.
5. Niko Medved- Rising star in the ranks and has Colorado St. rolling.
6. Bryce Drew- Was great at Valpo. Was pushed out at Vandy by the administration and Stackhouse backroom dealing for that job. Has Grand Canyon rolling.
7. Mike D'Antoni- He's never coached in college, but damn he's got an offense that will roll. I make the call and gauge the interest.

Realistic Candidates:

1. Bob Richey- Young, energetic, and is going to get a P5 job sooner rather than later.
2. Kenny Payne- Should've hired him in 2012. Was with Calipari for 10 years but now with the Knicks.
3. Grant McCasland- Has been great everywhere he's been. Was an asst. under Scott Drew at Baylor and has built UNT into a mid major power in just 4 years.
4. Ulrich Maligi- Has been with Chris Beard for the past 3 years but was also on Billy Kennedy's staff at A&M.
5. Steve Pikiell- He's revitalized Rutgers and has them rolling.
6. Stan Jones- He's the top asst. in college basketball and it's not close. Was on Stans staff for a year and was the HC at Jackson Academy in the late 90s. Stan would be a A+ hire.
7. Steven Pearl- He's learned under his dad for a while now so he knows how to play the recruiting game.

Wildcards:

1. Terry Stotts- Never coached at the college level, but he knows the NBA and is modern in offense. If he could assemble a staff he could be a home run.
2. Richard Williams- Maybe it's time. No one currently not on staff is closer to the program and knows our players and what it takes to succeed.

EdwardDrayton
02-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Yep. Same banal thinking that will get us more of the same mediocrity. But certainly not unexpected.

Dawgfan77
02-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Home Run Hires:

1. Sean Miller- He got a raw deal at Arizona and hell Wade and Pearl are both coaching in the SEC so come on down. The guy puts teams in the tournament.
2. Rick Pitino- He's a legend for a reason and he'd bring excitement in a minute. I would probably move him up to 1 if he could get Richard Pitino to come be an asst. and have a ready made former HC ready to take over when Pitino retires.
3. Gregg Marshall- This one would be controversial to say the least. We would need to do our homework on him and make sure we know what we're getting but the guy wins. And that's all that matters at the end of the day.
4. Matt McMahon- Has built a power at Murray and has them rolling. I imagine he's going to get the Louisville job though.
6. Bryce Drew- Was great at Valpo. Was pushed out at Vandy by the administration and Stackhouse backroom dealing for that job. Has Grand Canyon rolling.
7. Mike D'Antoni- He's never coached in college, but damn he's got an offense that will roll. I make the call and gauge the interest.

Realistic Candidates:

1. Bob Richey- Young, energetic, and is going to get a P5 job sooner rather than later.
2. Kenny Payne- Should've hired him in 2012. Was with Calipari for 10 years but now with the Knicks.
3. Grant McCasland- Has been great everywhere he's been. Was an asst. under Scott Drew at Baylor and has built UNT into a mid major power in just 4 years.
4. Ulrich Maligi- Has been with Chris Beard for the past 3 years but was also on Billy Kennedy's staff at A&M.
6. Stan Jones- He's the top asst. in college basketball and it's not close. Was on Stans staff for a year and was the HC at Jackson Academy in the late 90s. Stan would be a A+ hire.
7. Steven Pearl- He's learned under his dad for a while now so he knows how to play the recruiting game.

Wildcards:

1. Terry Stotts- Never coached at the college level, but he knows the NBA and is modern in offense. If he could assemble a staff he could be a home run.
2. Richard Williams- Maybe it's time. No one currently not on staff is closer to the program and knows our players and what it takes to succeed.

I like the Pitino/Pitno but two things. One what's the little Richard make at Minn? Then we have to worry about the other little Richard but lucky Starkville doesn't have a lot of Italian eateries

StarkVegasSteve
02-13-2022, 03:37 PM
I like the Pitino/Pitno but two things. One what's the little Richard make at Minn? Then we have to worry about the other little Richard but lucky Starkville doesn't have a lot of Italian eateries

Richard Pitino was let go at Minnesota. He?s now at NM State.

And I?m willing to take the risk with the other little Richard because of one thing. HE WINS. And he wins big.

PMDawg
02-13-2022, 03:52 PM
Yep. Same banal thinking that will get us more of the same mediocrity. But certainly not unexpected.

Lol. From someone who wants to hand the entire athletic department over to a WBB coach with zero experience being AD, JUST so she can make a couple of good hires (maybe....who knows if she would be any good at hiring people bc coaching and hiring coaches aren't the same thing) at the #3 and #4 sports at out school?

StarkVegasSteve
02-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Your opinion is beyond irrelevant after you suggested we hire Dawn Staley in any capacity. Especially as an AD. I know Cohen is bad, but hell are you trying to completely torpedo the entire athletic department so we can make the womens tournament?!?!

RocketDawg
02-13-2022, 06:05 PM
That?s not just a little out of the box??..

Well, I certainly never would have thought of doing that. And hope I never do.

OLJWales
02-13-2022, 09:53 PM

Might ED Inquire upon your age or would that be an overly sensitive topic making pleading the 5th more manageable?

Hambone
02-13-2022, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure OP is Rikea Jacksons mom

Only half kidding

Bulldog1
02-23-2022, 09:38 PM
Time to bump this I guess...

CaptainObvious
02-23-2022, 09:44 PM
Time to bump this I guess...

So are you suggesting we put her on the team flight back to Starkville.😂😂😂😂

msstate7
02-23-2022, 09:50 PM
If Sean miller can be had, we should do everything in our power to make it happen.

Bulldog1
02-23-2022, 09:59 PM
So are you suggesting we put her on the team flight back to Starkville.��������
Who? Dawn Staley?? The person who wrote that in this thread is insane.

Bulldog1
02-23-2022, 10:00 PM
From what I can tell, I would be elated with Matt McMahon if we can pull him.

EdwardDrayton
02-23-2022, 10:59 PM
Well its time to re-enter the discussion now that hopefully Ive dislodged everyone from the same tired old thinking.

Is Dawn Staley the right choice? Of course not. But there was a point to the madness. Lemonis is solid and we still think Leach is. At least Leach is for one more year anyway. So we?re only talking about mens and womens basketball at the moment. And Staleys been the right hand person for the SC AD and theres little doubt she can make splash hires in basketball. But that wasnt the point of this.

Granted shes probably not the right AD hire; her personality would make it more than a little difficult for several reasons. But can we swim our way clear of the Sean Miller type and expand the wading pool. He is just too much more of the same.

Soooo, we?ll abandon the AD discussion and start with Drew Valentine Loyola Chicago as the next coach. Who else you got. Mike Boynton maybe.

Now we?re cooking with hot grease.

Reunion Dog
02-24-2022, 02:46 AM
17 Kenny Payne. He had a chance to wear the Maroon & White and he said the hell with that. He was called the best 3 point shooter in America for PRACTICE!!!

Cooterpoot
02-24-2022, 03:18 AM
Prepare to be underwhelmed in this search.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-24-2022, 07:45 AM
Cohen will outsmart everyone!**

chef dixon
02-24-2022, 07:45 AM
Lamont Paris needs to be the first call

KOdawg1
02-24-2022, 08:33 AM
Prepare to be underwhelmed in this search.
I think it's probably Richey

msstate7
02-24-2022, 09:08 AM
I think it's probably Richey

From New Orleans, so maybe

Ifyouonlyknew
02-24-2022, 09:35 AM
Matt McMahon
Bob Richey
Dennis Gates
Eric Henderson
Todd Golden
Bucky McMillan
Casey Alexander

TALL DAWG
02-24-2022, 09:54 AM
Matt McMahon
Bob Richey
Dennis Gates
Eric Henderson
Todd Golden
Bucky McMillan
Casey Alexander

IT IS MILLER TIME!
We will need to change all our beer products to Miller brand only.

msugolf
02-24-2022, 09:58 AM
IT IS MILLER TIME!
We will need to change all our beer products to Miller brand only.

Miller is not a candidate ...for here or anywhere else for the foreseeable future

Johnson85
02-24-2022, 10:01 AM
Home Run Hires:

I don't know if you can get college players to make that offense work. AT least, not at MSU.

Realistic Candidates:

Wildcards:

I think the idea of Stan Jones as a head coach in DI can be put to bed at this point. Not sure if he turned down lower level jobs or if there is something that just has people convinced he's not head coach material, but it's wild that he's been a successful assistant for so long and never been a head coach.

gtowndawg
02-24-2022, 10:10 AM

Bruh....

msstate7
02-24-2022, 10:26 AM
Miller is not a candidate ...for here or anywhere else for the foreseeable future

What did he do besides pay players? Just curious why he's so untouchable and wade and Pearl have great jobs

Cooterpoot
02-24-2022, 10:41 AM
What did he do besides pay players? Just curious why he's so untouchable and wade and Pearl have great jobs

He's about to be hammered in the federal probe. I doubt he coaches again anytime soon.

viverlibre
02-24-2022, 10:51 AM
He's about to be hammered in the federal probe. I doubt he coaches again anytime soon.

Hasn't the same been said about Will Wade for the past three years? What is the difference in their situations? I haven't followed this closely.

Johnson85
02-24-2022, 11:07 AM
Hasn't the same been said about Will Wade for the past three years? What is the difference in their situations? I haven't followed this closely.

Will Wade's school was still happy with him when his role came out?

I really don't know. But I think maybe the only difference is the LSU looked at it and decided they were probably either 17ed or not, and that firing Wade wouldn't meaningfully change their position, so no sense in firing him. Arizona has been successful enough that they probably thought they could go get somebody else just as good as Miller if they fired him.

I don't know why that would make him untouchable with anybody else unless they had good reason to think something was going to come out of the federal probe in the next two years rather than say 4 years from now (which is an eternity with men's basketball b/c of early entry and the transfer portal).

StarkVegasSteve
02-24-2022, 01:28 PM
So to update it: Miller is not a candidate, Chris Mack is not a candidate, and the names we will hear most are Matt Mcmahon(who will go to Louisville), Bob Richey(probably the most realistic hire), or Kim English(just keep Howland if this is the hire).

I can already see many different ways Cohen will screw this up.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-24-2022, 02:55 PM
So to update it: Miller is not a candidate, Chris Mack is not a candidate, and the names we will hear most are Matt Mcmahon(who will go to Louisville), Bob Richey(probably the most realistic hire), or Kim English(just keep Howland if this is the hire).

I can already see many different ways Cohen will screw this up.

McMahon is not the top candidate for Louisville

Richey is very interested in the job.

English is not a serious candidate for the job at all.

PGHBulldogBG
02-24-2022, 03:09 PM
The more I read about Richey the more I like him. He has been there 5 years and not won the conference so that is a bit concerning, but we can?t be too picky and risk landing another Ray. If he is our best option then let?s go for Richey. He is young and runs an exciting style so we might as well give him a chance.

viverlibre
02-24-2022, 03:46 PM
Will Wade's school was still happy with him when his role came out?

I really don't know. But I think maybe the only difference is the LSU looked at it and decided they were probably either 17ed or not, and that firing Wade wouldn't meaningfully change their position, so no sense in firing him. Arizona has been successful enough that they probably thought they could go get somebody else just as good as Miller if they fired him.

I don't know why that would make him untouchable with anybody else unless they had good reason to think something was going to come out of the federal probe in the next two years rather than say 4 years from now (which is an eternity with men's basketball b/c of early entry and the transfer portal).

I was more wondering why Miller is facing a federal probe (as cooterpoot posted) and how that probe related to Will Wade (if it did).

BiscuitEater
02-24-2022, 04:15 PM

Idiot!

Cooterpoot
02-25-2022, 01:46 PM

Maybe, but a major show cause would have you scrambling for another coach in the next year.

Cooterpoot
02-25-2022, 01:48 PM
We aren't getting a great coach no matter what. Our list is very limited. Prepare for a heavy dose of MEH!

BiscuitEater
02-25-2022, 02:12 PM
We aren't getting a great coach no matter what. Our list is very limited. Prepare for a heavy dose of MEH!

'Any" live person with an ounce of BB knowledge is BETTER than what we have now .. zero motivation ability!

StarkVegasSteve
02-25-2022, 02:19 PM
Was talking to someone the other day about this and I can talk myself into almost any candidate. However, I cannot talk myself into A)Stansbury B)Kermit, C)Justin Gray, or D)Kim English.

A couple of names I think we will hear before everything is said and done:

1. Grant McCasland
2. Bryce Drew
3. Andy Kennedy

Would not be shocked in the least bit if any of those guys end up with the job.

msstate7
02-25-2022, 02:23 PM
'Any" live person with an ounce of BB knowledge is BETTER than what we have now .. zero motivation ability!

According to if we can get good players. This isn't a given

PGHBulldogBG
02-25-2022, 02:26 PM
Bryce Drew? I would take Rick Ray back over him. He legit went 0-18 in the SEC

msugolf
02-25-2022, 02:29 PM

What's your definition of a "great" coach? McMahon or Richey are definitely not meh. Just because a coach hasn't had major success at a P5 school (where its easier to make the tourney as an at large) doesn't mean he isn't the right guy. You have to look at what they have to work with, where they are, the style they play and how he runs the program ... overall trajectory.

Ya know who else would've been a meh hire to a lot of the fan base ... Vic Schaefer. Dude bombed as a head coach before State and then downgraded to an assistant for 15 years.

Coach34
02-25-2022, 02:39 PM

He also has as many NCAA Tourney wins as Stands

StarkVegasSteve
02-25-2022, 03:33 PM

He also had two lottery picks on that team who got injured for the year. Probably want to read up on what happened before jumping to conclusions. He also recruited Pippen Jr to Vandy.

We could, and probably will, do WAY worse than Bryce Drew.

MedDawg
02-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Well its time to re-enter the discussion now that hopefully Ive dislodged everyone from the same tired old thinking.

Is Dawn Staley the right choice? Of course not. But there was a point to the madness. Lemonis is solid and we still think Leach is. At least Leach is for one more year anyway. So we?re only talking about mens and womens basketball at the moment. And Staleys been the right hand person for the SC AD and theres little doubt she can make splash hires in basketball. But that wasnt the point of this.

If Staley was our AD two years ago she probably would have hired Nikki McCray-Penson to be our women's basketball coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Was talking to someone the other day about this and I can talk myself into almost any candidate. However, I cannot talk myself into A)Stansbury B)Kermit, C)Justin Gray, or D)Kim English.

A couple of names I think we will hear before everything is said and done:

1. Grant McCasland
2. Bryce Drew
3. Andy Kennedy

Would not be shocked in the least bit if any of those guys end up with the job.

No way Drew or AK get the job. I doubt they even get interviews. They didn’t do anything at their previous SEC jobs. McCasland can coach but if fans thought Howland offense was slow & boring McCasland makes him look the Showtime Lakers era.

Cooterpoot
02-25-2022, 04:44 PM
Let's face it, it's the Furman and Murray St coaches leading the way and money is on Richey. I'm not a fan of his but it is what it is.

OLJWales
02-26-2022, 10:13 AM
Good article from BoneYard on why the STATE Hoops Coaching Job is being discussed spiced up with some Novak as well.

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-college-baseball-coaching-searches-183446342/

Ifyouonlyknew
02-26-2022, 11:16 AM
Matt McMahon
Bob Richey
Dennis Gates
Eric Henderson
Todd Golden
Bucky McMillan
Casey Alexander

Add Chris Jans & Niko Medved to this list.

PGHBulldogBG
02-27-2022, 09:09 AM
If Chris Jans is truly a candidate he needs to go right to the top of the list. He has won everywhere he has coached and would be an A+ hire.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 11:14 AM
If Chris Jans is truly a candidate he needs to go right to the top of the list. He has won everywhere he has coached and would be an A+ hire.

McMahon or Jans would be great hires.

HoopsDawg
02-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Paul Mills at Oral Roberts. 5th in the nation in scoring. Coached under Scott Drew at Baylor. Took Oral Roberts to the sweet 16 last year- beat Florida and Ohio State to get there as a 15 seed. Year before that, he set a school record for fewest turnovers in a season. Has also watched Hoosiers more than 1,000 times.

MoreCowbell
02-27-2022, 12:55 PM
Sean Miller

Matt McMahon

Todd Golden

Chris Mack

Doubt Golden is on our radar and Mack would not leave for us.

1. Miller
2. McMahon
3. North Texas coach

In that order, go get ?em John

MoreCowbell
02-27-2022, 12:57 PM
Home Run Hires:

Realistic Candidates:

Wildcards:

McClasland needs to be our guy and he is someone we can actually get. Over half these names would not take our call.

StarkVegasSteve
02-27-2022, 01:12 PM
McClasland needs to be our guy and he is someone we can actually get. Over half these names would not take our call.

McCasland is the guy I want. I want him over any other realistic candidate because he knows what it takes to build and run a program that is not a blue blood. Helped Drew turn Baylor into what they are and has UNT dumptrucking the rest of the CUSA

PGHBulldogBG
02-27-2022, 01:15 PM
Jans, McClasland, McMahon, Richey would all be solid hires. Jans and McClasland would be A hires and McMahon and Richey would be B hires. I don?t know as much about McMahon as the other 3 but he?s done a great job at Murray. I would need to see though if that?s because he is just out talenting everyone though. Miller would be Ben Howland part 2, Marshall wouldn?t be able to recruit and Pitino is just a mess. I would pass on those 3 for a quality current mid major coach

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 02:03 PM
All the people who want McCasland I hope none of you have ever posted how slow & boring Howland’s offense is. McCasland runs a slower pace & scores less than Howland does. He can coach though. I dont expect him to be a finalist.

OLJWales
02-27-2022, 02:40 PM
All the people who want McCasland I hope none of you have ever posted how slow & boring Howland’s offense is. McCasland runs a slower pace & scores less than Howland does. He can coach though. I dont expect him to be a finalist.

Winning never feels "Hard to Watch" for me Pace be Damned. Just Win while Scratching & Clawing for the Extra Inch.

CadaverDawg
02-27-2022, 02:53 PM
Winning never feels "Hard to Watch" for me Pace be Damned. Just Win while Scratching & Clawing for the Extra Inch.

Amen. Winning at a high level is never boring...no matter how "boring" the style is. When you're boring and Lose a lot, it exaggerates the losses.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 02:57 PM
Amen. Winning at a high level is never boring...no matter how "boring" the style is. When you're boring and Lose a lot, it exaggerates the losses.

We haven’t lost a lot under Howland. Just hasn’t won enough. McCasland can coach but I expect a coach who runs a more uptempo offense or at minimum more points.

CadaverDawg
02-27-2022, 02:59 PM
We haven’t lost a lot under Howland. Just hasn’t won enough. McCasland can coach but I expect a coach who runs a more uptempo offense or at minimum more points.

Yeah, I agree that it probably won't be McCasland, but I'd be ok with him.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I agree that it probably won't be McCasland, but I'd be ok with him.

I’ve just heard over & over that people don’t attend games because the offense is boring. If that’s the case then attendance is going to continue to suck with McCasland. He can coach though.

CadaverDawg
02-27-2022, 03:13 PM
I’ve just heard over & over that people don’t attend games because the offense is boring. If that’s the case then attendance is going to continue to suck with McCasland. He can coach though.

I think if Howland made adjustments, and won more, "boring" wouldn't be brought up much. It's boring and not fun to watch the same style of play get the same underwhelming results year after year with little to zero adjustment from half to half, game to game, season to season. But that's just me

HoopsDawg
02-27-2022, 03:30 PM

McCasland would be an awful hire.

OLJWales
02-27-2022, 04:10 PM

Yep. Losing Amplifies a HC's Tacticts for Critics to Critique. Two Sides to Most Stories I Reckon.
But isn't Howland's VS Top 25 Record Trash since his time here? I would love to see STATE Degenerate Hoop Stats Too. I bet we've been one of the biggest head scratchers in Las Vegas.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 05:14 PM
I think if Howland made adjustments, and won more, "boring" wouldn't be brought up much. It's boring and not fun to watch the same style of play get the same underwhelming results year after year with little to zero adjustment from half to half, game to game, season to season. But that's just me

Last 5 years Howland has won 80% of his home games. So he’s won plenty at home.

msstate7
02-27-2022, 05:24 PM

Let's hopefully win his last one Wednesday night

msstate7
02-27-2022, 05:25 PM
Yep. Losing Amplifies a HC's Tacticts for Critics to Critique. Two Sides to Most Stories I Reckon.
But isn't Howland's VS Top 25 Record Trash since his time here? I would love to see STATE Degenerate Hoop Stats Too. I bet we've been one of the biggest head scratchers in Las Vegas.

No idea on that record, but it probably isn't good bc we aren't a top 25 program

msstate7
02-27-2022, 05:26 PM
IYOK, any chance we keep Molinar and/or tolu for new coach?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 05:56 PM
IYOK, any chance we keep Molinar and/or tolu for new coach?

I think Tolu could be back. Molinar is gone.

parabrave
02-27-2022, 06:08 PM
I think Tolu could be back. Molinar is gone.

Mol needs to stay and work on his perimeter shooting.

CadaverDawg
02-27-2022, 06:13 PM

Home games? Just Home games don't get you to the dance. Mix some things up, make some adjustments, play to the talent level....for a season, not a few home games only. I know you like to beat this drum that they deserve more support, but every time they get it they fall on their face bc Howland is the same game after game after game. If he was winning and making the dance while coaching a boring brand, the Hump would be full. But right now everybody knows the outcome, bc it's the same outcome every minute of every game of every season...and it's above average, but that's it.

My opinion, of course. Not speaking for others. But it's why I don't watch them anymore under Howland.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-27-2022, 07:08 PM
When Howland took over the program it was maybe the worst D1 men's basketball program in the country. He pulled us up to decent. I will always appreciate him for that.

Homedawg
02-27-2022, 07:10 PM
It won't be S Miller. So just take that one off.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 07:12 PM
Home games? Just Home games don't get you to the dance. Mix some things up, make some adjustments, play to the talent level....for a season, not a few home games only. I know you like to beat this drum that they deserve more support, but every time they get it they fall on their face bc Howland is the same game after game after game. If he was winning and making the dance while coaching a boring brand, the Hump would be full. But right now everybody knows the outcome, bc it's the same outcome every minute of every game of every season...and it's above average, but that's it.

My opinion, of course. Not speaking for others. But it's why I don't watch them anymore under Howland.

Agree 100%.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 07:14 PM
When Howland took over the program it was maybe the worst D1 men's basketball program in the country. He pulled us up to decent. I will always appreciate him for that.

I appreciate what he's done too. He's given us respectability and I appreciate that. Time to retire though, he looks tired and worn and that's how we play.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-27-2022, 07:19 PM
Yeah I agree it is time for him to step down after this season, but I don't think he overstayed his welcome or anything. Covid took one NCAA appearance from him and if Malik Newman lives up to the hype who knows how his tenure would have gone. Overall he did pretty well by our standards in MBK.

CadaverDawg
02-27-2022, 07:27 PM
I appreciate what he's done too. He's given us respectability and I appreciate that. Time to retire though, he looks tired and worn and that's how we play.

Agree

msstate7
02-27-2022, 07:28 PM

A effin men

msstate7
02-27-2022, 07:28 PM
Yeah I agree it is time for him to step down after this season, but I don't think he overstayed his welcome or anything. Covid took one NCAA appearance from him and if Malik Newman lives up to the hype who knows how his tenure would have gone. Overall he did pretty well by our standards in MBK.

I like you

MoreCowbell
02-27-2022, 07:35 PM

Impossible. You could be right about pace bc I am not going to look it up but I am fine with a slow pace if there is purpose and ball movement. Howland ball is gross.

MoreCowbell
02-27-2022, 07:38 PM
I like you

I agree, I am not mad or dissing Howland. Our BBall job is so much more attractive now because of him. He recruited some good players here. He brought us Quindarry Weatherspoon, who will always be one of my favorite State players ever.

But the game has passed him by long ago and I mean he has to know it too so it is probably hard to internalize for him. But I thank him for taking our $hitty job when no one else would. Thanks!

Commercecomet24
02-27-2022, 07:57 PM
I agree, I am not mad or dissing Howland. Our BBall job is so much more attractive now because of him. He recruited some good players here. He brought us Quindarry Weatherspoon, who will always be one of my favorite State players ever.

But the game has passed him by long ago and I mean he has to know it too so it is probably hard to internalize for him. But I thank him for taking our $hitty job when no one else would. Thanks!

Well said.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 08:03 PM

I’m speaking more to why people say they don’t come to the home games.

PGHBulldogBG
02-27-2022, 08:04 PM
I have been hard and critical on Howland but I appreciate what he did by making us respectable again. Some people had unrealistic expectations for him. At the same time, the 2019 loss to Liberty and the 2020 team not even being on the right side of the bubble completely did me in. I knew when he lost to Ole Miss in 2019 on our home court in Kermit?s first year that we weren?t going to get the success we hoped for with him. The 2020 team should?ve been at least a 4 or 5 seed and have the ability to make the sweet 16 and losing to bad non conference teams along with the inability to beat top 25 teams officially did me in. That being said I still don?t feel like the coaching and underachievement this year was as bad as 2020. Howland should get to retire gracefully and hopefully we can pull in someone like Jans to take us to the next level

Coach34
02-27-2022, 08:04 PM
The game really hasnt passed him by at all. We are a legit 3 point shooter away from being an NCAA Tourney team. Not to mention Molinar taking a step back with his outside shooting hurts. Tolu being hurt early cost us a couple of wins as well.

But it falls on him that we dont have a legit 3 point shooter. It falls on him that if we dont win our next 4 games we wont make the NCAA Tourney.

OLJWales
02-27-2022, 08:59 PM
Why can't we make changes similar to what other SEC teams have done to take their programs to the next level? We used to whip their asses now they whip ours.

Coach34
02-27-2022, 09:14 PM
I’m speaking more to why people say they don’t come to the home games.

I still say every home game being on TV is the biggest factor to why people dont come anymore. The Jackson crowd and others dont make the trip anymore because they can watch it on TV. Students dont have to be at games now. They can stream it and play video games or whatever.

Putting the state school in a sparsely populated portion of the state will always be one of Mississippi's top blunders

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 09:41 PM
Why can't we make changes similar to what other SEC teams have done to take their programs to the next level? We used to whip their asses now they whip ours.

We feasted on mostly terrible West teams while we only had to play the stronger East teams once. It was fools gold those Western Division banners.

OLJWales
02-27-2022, 10:29 PM
We feasted on mostly terrible West teams while we only had to play the stronger East teams once. It was fools gold those Western Division banners.

Still doesn't explain why we get our asses whipped by those we used to whip. Why did / do we remain stuck while others in the West moved forward?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2022, 11:07 PM
Still doesn't explain why we get our asses whipped by those we used to whip. Why did / do we remain stuck while others in the West moved forward?

You’re being overly emotional. We’ve won we just haven’t won enough. He could finish top half of the SEC 4 out of the last 5 years. So he’s won just not enough to get us over the hump. You talk like we’re still in the Ray days.

msstate7
02-28-2022, 08:12 AM
The game really hasnt passed him by at all. We are a legit 3 point shooter away from being an NCAA Tourney team. Not to mention Molinar taking a step back with his outside shooting hurts. Tolu being hurt early cost us a couple of wins as well.

But it falls on him that we dont have a legit 3 point shooter. It falls on him that if we dont win our next 4 games we wont make the NCAA Tourney.

I don't think it will take winning 4 straight. If we sweep this week, I think we're in. That would give us 4 Q1 wins and 2 Q2 wins. I don't feel like we get it done though

PGHBulldogBG
02-28-2022, 09:08 AM
If we win the next 2 and 1 in the SEC tournament then we have a good chance if there aren?t any upsets in the conference tournaments. We need teams like Murray State, Gonzaga, Davidson to win their conference tournaments to avoid a spot being taken along with teams slotted as 8 seeds or higher because pretty much anyone in that category is in no matter what happens. With that being said, I am not confident we win either of the two upcoming. We might get a win in the SEC tournament but then we would most likely have to play UT UK or Auburn 2nd round which I don?t see how we beat either of those 3 on a neutral court with how bad we shoot the ball away from home

OLJWales
02-28-2022, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping Ben's departure is 100% Voluntary with Zero Animosity from all. Handshakes & Hugs.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2022, 10:37 AM
If we win the next 2 and 1 in the SEC tournament then we have a good chance if there aren?t any upsets in the conference tournaments. We need teams like Murray State, Gonzaga, Davidson to win their conference tournaments to avoid a spot being taken along with teams slotted as 8 seeds or higher because pretty much anyone in that category is in no matter what happens. With that being said, I am not confident we win either of the two upcoming. We might get a win in the SEC tournament but then we would most likely have to play UT UK or Auburn 2nd round which I don?t see how we beat either of those 3 on a neutral court with how bad we shoot the ball away from home

1 in the tourney probably won’t get it done. You would need 2 just to feel like you have a chance. Honestly probably need to make it to Saturday.

StarkVegasSteve
02-28-2022, 12:52 PM

Because they made ok to great hires and replaced ok hires with great hires. We made a catastrophic hire and replaced with a good hire.

Auburn-Pearl
LSU-Wade
Tennessee-Barnes
Bama-Avery Johnson to Oats
Arkansas-Mike Anderson to Musselman

viverlibre
02-28-2022, 02:00 PM
I'm hoping Ben's departure is 100% Voluntary with Zero Animosity from all. Handshakes & Hugs.

Haha, our fans regularly publicly thrash current players on FB and MBs, then wonder why so many former MSU players list their HS rather than college.

Coach34
02-28-2022, 02:13 PM
Haha, our fans regularly publicly thrash current players on FB and MBs, then wonder why so many former MSU players list their HS rather than college.

thank goodness we are the only school that does this.

confucius say
02-28-2022, 02:44 PM
We aren't even in Lunardi's top 11 teams out right now, fwiw. I think we have to win out and then get to Sunday in the sect to have a chance. The NET likes us and the predictive metrics like us, but the results metrics don't.

BrunswickDawg
02-28-2022, 03:23 PM
Because they made ok to great hires and replaced ok hires with great hires. We made a catastrophic hire and replaced with a good hire.

Auburn-Pearl
LSU-Wade
Tennessee-Barnes
Bama-Avery Johnson to Oats
Arkansas-Mike Anderson to Musselman

The bigger part of that story is why we were better in late 90s-early 00s

Auburn - Cliff Ellis replaced by Jeff Lebo, replaced by Tony Barbee, replaced by Pearl
LSU - Dale Brown replaced in '97 by John Brady, replaced by Trent Johnson, replaced by Johnny Jones, replaced by Wade
Tenn - Jerry Green replaced in '01 by Buzz Peterson, replaced by Pearl, replaced by Cuonzo Martin, replaced by Donnie Tyndale, replaced by Barnes
Bama - Wimp Sanderson fired in '91 and replaced by David Hobbs, replaced by Mark Gottfried, replaced by Anthony Grant, replaced by Avery Johnson, replaced by Oats
Arkanasas - Nolan Richardson fired in '02 and replaced by Stan Heath, replaced by John Pelfrey, replaced by Mike Anderson, replaced by Musselman

Lots of bad to mediocre coaches and lots of turnover on that list.

StarkVegasSteve
02-28-2022, 03:46 PM
The bigger part of that story is why we were better in late 90s-early 00s

Auburn - Cliff Ellis replaced by Jeff Lebo, replaced by Tony Barbee, replaced by Pearl
LSU - Dale Brown replaced in '97 by John Brady, replaced by Trent Johnson, replaced by Johnny Jones, replaced by Wade
Tenn - Jerry Green replaced in '01 by Buzz Peterson, replaced by Pearl, replaced by Cuonzo Martin, replaced by Donnie Tyndale, replaced by Barnes
Bama - Wimp Sanderson fired in '91 and replaced by David Hobbs, replaced by Mark Gottfried, replaced by Anthony Grant, replaced by Avery Johnson, replaced by Oats
Arkanasas - Nolan Richardson fired in '02 and replaced by Stan Heath, replaced by John Pelfrey, replaced by Mike Anderson, replaced by Musselman

Lots of bad to mediocre coaches and lots of turnover on that list.

And teams like Auburn and LSU show you that it only takes one great hire to be a regular tourney team. I mean Auburn basketball was beyond terrible for almost the entire time I have really followed SEC basketball. And outside of the Final 4 year with Brady LSU was mediocre at best. But now with Pearl and Wade they are regularly in the tourney and in the case of Auburn look to have an inside track to make their 2nd FF in the last 3 tournaments.

viverlibre
02-28-2022, 04:21 PM
thank goodness we are the only school that does this.

I don't look at other message boards or interact with many other college fans, but the Bama and Ole Miss fans I know don't run down their players/coaches like we do.

RougeDawg
02-28-2022, 04:21 PM
We aren't even in Lunardi's top 11 teams out right now, fwiw. I think we have to win out and then get to Sunday in the sect to have a chance. The NET likes us and the predictive metrics like us, but the results metrics don't.

One thing I don?t get is the committee saying they will weigh some losses differently if key players were missing and the key players make a visual impact when they comeback. Lunardi does not seem to account for this.

Tolu has not been himself most of the games he?s been back but he looks stronger last couple. One would think the committee would take this into consideration if he keeps it up and we can eek out some miracles. Seems to be injuries to key players of other programs is discussed but not ours.

Eta. Forgot to mention that the knee injury came in garbage time where we had the game in the bag. So that’s on Howland.

Coach34
02-28-2022, 04:25 PM

If we win our next 4 we most certainly will be

PGHBulldogBG
02-28-2022, 04:27 PM
One thing I don?t get is the committee saying they will weigh some losses differently if key players were missing and the key players make a visual impact when they comeback. Lunardi does not seem to account for this.

Tolu has not been himself most of the games he?s been back but he looks stronger last couple. One would think the committee would take this into consideration if he keeps it up and we can eek out some miracles. Seems to be injuries to key players of other programs is discussed but not ours.

Eta. Forgot to mention that the knee injury came in garbage time where we had the game in the bag. So that’s on Howland.

This means the Arkansas win will definitely hurt us because Notae didn?t play that game. Arkansas puts a lot on Notae and started SEC play 0-3 without him

BrunswickDawg
02-28-2022, 04:31 PM
And teams like Auburn and LSU show you that it only takes one great hire to be a regular tourney team. I mean Auburn basketball was beyond terrible for almost the entire time I have really followed SEC basketball. And outside of the Final 4 year with Brady LSU was mediocre at best. But now with Pearl and Wade they are regularly in the tourney and in the case of Auburn look to have an inside track to make their 2nd FF in the last 3 tournaments.

That is true. But, I think that coach also has to be the right "fit" at your program. Richard Williams and Stans understood State's culture and how to get the right players who fit it. When Stans went "all in", he got a way from that, and the program got away from him. Howland has been somewhere in between. I think he recruited flash early on, and those guys didn't fit MSU, and that did as much to alienate the fans as anything. Newman and Peters - as talented as they could be - never really fit State and I think that set Howland off on the wrong footing. For all the hype of those two "best ever/NBA ready" recruits, they were less impactful than guys like Winsome Frazier and Markell Patterson. Give me guys like Frazier and Patterson all day everyday over the hype.

confucius say
02-28-2022, 04:56 PM
I actually like our culture and the demeanor of the guys we have now. Not a lot of selfish me guys. Or at least doesn't appear so.

Just need 2 guys who can make threes and we'd be a 5-7 seed with 6 more wins.

msstate7
02-28-2022, 05:25 PM
I actually like our culture and the demeanor of the guys we have now. Not a lot of selfish me guys. Or at least doesn't appear so.

Just need 2 guys who can make threes and we'd be a 5-7 seed with 6 more wins.

Molinar turning into me as a 3-pt shooter and tolu being hurt or semi-hurt all season were death blows

ETA... tolu's injury issues may end up a blessing to the new coach... maybe he comes back

OLJWales
02-28-2022, 07:07 PM
I don't look at other message boards or interact with many other college fans, but the Bama and Ole Miss fans I know don't run down their players/coaches like we do.

Horse Cock.

Coach34
02-28-2022, 08:26 PM

Need to check them out sometime after an OM kicker misses an XP to lose an Egg Bowl or when Bama struggles vs Georgia or Auburn. Auburn's got some great stuff going on as does LSU with what they have had to say about their programs.

Commercecomet24
02-28-2022, 08:37 PM
Need to check them out sometime after an OM kicker misses an XP to lose an Egg Bowl or when Bama struggles vs Georgia or Auburn. Auburn's got some great stuff going on as does LSU with what they have had to say about their programs.

Heck Cade Foster the bama kicker that missed that fg against auburn in 2013 got death threats. And you're right about om and they've spewed some pretty nasty stuff at some of their players on social media. Oughta check out the meltdown board every Tuesday during football season when they post the worst melts from message boards from all over. It's every fanbase not just State as you stated earlier.

viverlibre
02-28-2022, 09:15 PM
Heck Cade Foster the bama kicker that missed that fg against auburn in 2013 got death threats. And you're right about om and they've spewed some pretty nasty stuff at some of their players on social media. Oughta check out the meltdown board every Tuesday during football season when they post the worst melts from message boards from all over. It's every fanbase not just State as you stated earlier.

I don't do twitter and only look at MSU's sports MBs. The UM/Bama fans are one's I know personally. It seems to me we eat our own more than other fan bases, but I certainly don't look at other boards, so I can certainly be wrong. Worse than our MB fans are our FB fans, goodness what a cesspool! I haven't done an analysis, but it seems more MSU players say their HS than any other SEC school, so there must be some kind of negative perception that some of our players have of the university/fan base. It may have to do with Mullen being a hard*ss.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-28-2022, 09:32 PM
Sean Miller

Matt McMahon

Todd Golden

Chris Mack

Scratch 3 of those off

Coach34
02-28-2022, 09:33 PM
I don't do twitter and only look at MSU's sports MBs. The UM/Bama fans are one's I know personally. It seems to me we eat our own more than other fan bases, but I certainly don't look at other boards, so I can certainly be wrong. Worse than our MB fans are our FB fans, goodness what a cesspool! I haven't done an analysis, but it seems more MSU players say their HS than any other SEC school, so there must be some kind of negative perception that some of our players have of the university/fan base. It may have to do with Mullen being a hard*ss.

You just notice it more because you are a State fan. Many of the southern players that make the NFL throw their HS or city out there. Our fans are no different than any other fanbase

KOdawg1
03-01-2022, 08:32 AM
Scratch 3 of those off
This was made weeks ago when Steve was reporting he was a candidate