PDA

View Full Version : Standing Ovation

Jmsdawg
02-11-2022, 09:20 AM
Our young ladies could not pull off the win last night but we did! That standing ovation our fans gave those young ladies made my heart swell with pride. Love this team and the true MSST fans participating in that Standing O. Now, just hope we fill the Hump Sunday and show this never quit team how much we appreciate the heart and never quit attitude these ladies give us! GO LADIES DAWGS AND BEAT OLE MISS!

TNDawg35
02-12-2022, 12:44 AM
The way this team has played this year, I think you throw Mathew Mitchell a call and see if he is interested, and if he turns you down, you hire Novak. Right now it’s a no brainer what he is doing with the ladies and being VERY short handed at that… Let him go and hire a hell of a staff with some top notch recruiters and go to work…

Cooterpoot
02-12-2022, 05:38 AM
Novak isn't getting the job without beating good teams. He's not beaten them yet. He also has no recruiting experience. Have you seen some of the offers he's got out? Woof! We'd have to miss on some people for him to get a shot.

OLJWales
02-12-2022, 08:41 AM
The way this team has played this year, I think you throw Mathew Mitchell a call and see if he is interested, and if he turns you down, you hire Novak. Right now it’s a no brainer what he is doing with the ladies and being VERY short handed at that… Let him go and hire a hell of a staff with some top notch recruiters and go to work…

Can't call anyone at this time because even CONSIDERING somebody else now would be suicide. Think about The Players and fans. No sane AD would bypass promoting from within at this juncture.

Cooterpoot
02-12-2022, 09:23 AM
Oh, we're already working on hiring a new coach. That process has been rolling since Nikki left. It won't take long once the season is over.
Novak needs to beat OM

viverlibre
02-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Novak isn't getting the job without beating good teams. He's not beaten them yet. He also has no recruiting experience. Have you seen some of the offers he's got out? Woof! We'd have to miss on some people for him to get a shot.

What's the deal, is the thought he would not be a good recruiter? Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard him speak.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-12-2022, 09:52 AM
I don’t think Novak gets the permanent job. I do not have an inside source on this, it’s just a hunch.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Novak was hired to be a Xs and O?s Bench Coach. Some times those type dont make good HCs. Mitchell wouldnt talk to us before we hired Vic. The last thing we need is a coach whos best days are behind him. Same is true for MBB.

basedog
02-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Oh, we're already working on hiring a new coach. That process has been rolling since Nikki left. It won't take long once the season is over.
Novak needs to beat OM

Where are you hearing this? You keep saying Novak 'Hasn't beaten a winning team yet". I think it isn't all his fault, he was handed the job with what we have. I had my doubts about Novak, but I see a much-improved team playing with 7 and 8 players. I also like him showing discipline and taking charge, if we get someone better, so be it. But to knock Novak with this team is way ff Coot!

Btw, IF a new coach is hired, I suspect he or she better win big right off the bat as it could look a lot like the Auburn thingy!

basedog
02-12-2022, 10:06 AM
I don’t think Novak gets the permanent job. I do not have an inside source on this, it’s just a hunch.

Inside source with a hunch? Ok den, LOL.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-12-2022, 10:20 AM

I don’t have a source I said. I just feel like Cohen will want someone with more head coaching experience at the power 5 level. Novak doesn’t strike me as the type guy Cohen would hire. Just a gut feeling.

viverlibre
02-12-2022, 10:26 AM
I don’t have a source I said. I just feel like Cohen will want someone with more head coaching experience at the power 5 level. Novak doesn’t strike me as the type guy Cohen would hire. Just a gut feeling.

this scares me, Cohen's track record has been spotty, one huge win, several losses, one meeh.

basedog
02-12-2022, 10:29 AM

OK, seems a lot of ED posters don't trust Cohen with hires, I'm iffy myself, but what I've seen from Novak has convinced me he can Coach. I don't keep up with recruiting, I have a friend who does, and he says Novak has a few pretty highly rated kids committed or signed. As far as experience, well he has one year under his belt, and it hasn't been a full year yet.

trob115
02-12-2022, 10:54 AM
I can say with confidence Novak is going to be given a look.

OLJWales
02-12-2022, 12:49 PM
I can say with confidence Novak is going to be given a look.

Went out on a limb there, no? I'll agree if Novak were at a different venue Cohen would most definitely consider others but Novak's been in charge of OUR STATE Ladies now for a while creating a whole different situation due to an eyeball example of handling OUR Program and OUR Athletes VS Others.

BrunswickDawg
02-12-2022, 12:59 PM
Can't call anyone at this time because even CONSIDERING somebody else now would be suicide. Think about The Players and fans. No sane AD would bypass promoting from within at this juncture.

Nope. This is just like the Situation with Henderson - you hire what is best for the program long term, regardless of how good of a job the interim does.

99jc
02-12-2022, 01:01 PM

you are a dumb ass

OLJWales
02-12-2022, 01:05 PM
Nope. This is just like the Situation with Henderson - you hire what is best for the program long term, regardless of how good of a job the interim does.

Henderson didn't inherit a turd and turn it into ice cream.

Lord McBuckethead
02-12-2022, 01:30 PM

Cohen already has proven he will move beyond a fan favorite [Henderson] to do what needs to be done. It is not suicide. Suicide is letting this basketball program fall completely apart due to this next permanent hire. He has to bring in the absolute best available that can recruit. Hard to do, but that is the job.

maroonmania
02-12-2022, 02:27 PM

SR has basically all but point blank said Novak is not getting the job citing his lack of connections in women's basketball to get recruits. Dont think he would say that without some inside source feeding him that. Either Cohen himself or someone close to Cohen involved in the process.

basedog
02-12-2022, 02:42 PM
SR has basically all but point blank said Novak is not getting the job citing his lack of connections in women's basketball to get recruits. Dont think he would say that without some inside source feeding him that. Either Cohen himself or someone close to Cohen involved in the process.

Things can change, I will say if we hire someone on the outside, it will be a total rebuild. Novak has started the process of rebuilding, one major thing he has done is clean up the culture.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2022, 02:58 PM
I'm a 54 year old lifelong State fan. Novak will be the next HC. My inside source is me.

basedog
02-12-2022, 03:55 PM
IYOK, what is your take on WBB coach?

RocketDawg
02-12-2022, 05:26 PM

I agree. Hire Novak. He's shown that he deserves it.

PGHBulldogBG
02-12-2022, 06:35 PM
If Novak somehow takes this team to the NCAA tournament in year 1 with the mess inherited and we don?t keep him but we retain Howland not making the tournament with a bunch of talent that tells me all I need to know about our athletic department

OLJWales
02-12-2022, 07:45 PM
If Novak somehow takes this team to the NCAA tournament in year 1 with the mess inherited and we don?t keep him but we retain Howland not making the tournament with a bunch of talent that tells me all I need to know about our athletic department

Well said resulting in well deserved rep.

Cooterpoot
02-12-2022, 08:03 PM
you are a dumb ass

Thanks for your normal worthless BS

Cooterpoot
02-12-2022, 08:05 PM

Howland is done after this year. Novak has to beat good teams to get in the tournament. He hasn't done that to this point & it's going to be tough. He gets OM, TN, & LSU.

BrunswickDawg
02-12-2022, 10:08 PM
Henderson didn't inherit a turd and turn it into ice cream.

Novak didn't inherit a turd either. The WBB team has talent - that was evident last year and this year. And in either situation the kids could have just laid down. Shit, the baseball team almost did. You forget after they were swept by USM and Cann was canned, we lost to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Utah Valley, McNeese St, and SE Louisiana and entered SEC play at 10-7. We then got swept by Vandy, lose 2 of 3 to Missouri, lose to Nichols State, and 2 of 3 to LSU. Ole Miss comes to town and we split the first two, are 16-16, 3-8 in SEC play, and down one in the 9th before Mangum ties it, then Luke Alexander hits a bomb in the 11th - which triggers our team coming together. Even then, we only ended up 31-24, 15-15 in the SEC in regular season and barely squeaked into the post season.

Yeah - Hendo rallied us and we caught fire late, but that season looked like shot most of the time.

schddog72
02-12-2022, 10:19 PM

This is a ridiculous post. This is like saying that Michael Ervin should have played wide receiver for the Cowboys with only one arm. Novak was dealt a bad hand; there's not even three of a kind in this hand much less a royal flush. The man still has the word "interim" in front of his title. How in the world is supposed to be able to recruit with that anchor tied to him?

But one thing is for sure - if Cohen can screw this up, it will definitely be screwed up!!

schddog72
02-12-2022, 10:20 PM
I don?t think Novak gets the permanent job. I do not have an inside source on this, it?s just a hunch.

He is very articulate and well-spoken. Sounds very likeable; obviously the players think so.

Cooterpoot
02-12-2022, 11:53 PM
This is a ridiculous post. This is like saying that Michael Ervin should have played wide receiver for the Cowboys with only one arm. Novak was dealt a bad hand; there's not even three of a kind in this hand much less a royal flush. The man still has the word "interim" in front of his title. How in the world is supposed to be able to recruit with that anchor tied to him?

But one thing is for sure - if Cohen can screw this up, it will definitely be screwed up!!

He's not getting the job without doing something big or everyone turning us down. This is a total reset and they're going after a proven coach. I'm good with that. He was never brought here to be the HC.

Cooterpoot
02-12-2022, 11:56 PM

He's not getting the job without doing something big or everyone turning us down. This is a total reset and they're going after a proven coach. I'm good with that. He was never brought here to be the HC. I don't get why people want to just hand him the job when there are good coaches interested, who are more proven. That's about the most poor old MSU thing ever.

OLJWales
02-13-2022, 10:40 AM
Novak's coached at lots of different places including being the top assistant at Tulane's Men's Program where he was very successful receiving accolades for Tulane's success during his tenure. He left a 6 yr very successful HC Gig at Bethel to be our Assistant HC and a month later he's handed the job and has done damn good thus far especially considering the depleted roster which indicates they are playing their asses off for him. Vik's gone and we never did shit outside his stay so being confident many options exist bettern Novak are shortsighted. All of this combined with the important advantages of hiring from within makes it clear IMO. If you don't understand the multiple evaluation & transitional advantages promoting what you already have, you can't be helped. Check out this Novak link.

https://hailstate.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/doug-novak/2555

Todd4State
02-15-2022, 03:30 AM
This feels a lot like the Gary Henderson era for baseball.

Novak has done a good job but hiring someone because we're being sentimental typically isn't going to end very well for the program.