PDA

View Full Version : So it sounds like we have could have some big time bats this year

Hambone
02-07-2022, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/joeltcoleman/status/1490813419020115969?s=21

KOdawg1
02-07-2022, 06:46 PM
Back-to-back Champs has a nice ring to it

AlSwearengen
02-07-2022, 07:25 PM
Nice to see Hines name. Someone mentioned last weekend that they didn’t see Hines in the dugout and I couldn’t find any mention of him anywhere. I was getting a little worried that something had happened.

Coach34
02-07-2022, 07:54 PM
Everybody close to the program thinks we will be better offensively in 2022 than in 2021

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 08:03 PM
Everybody close to the program thinks we will be better offensively in 2022 than in 2021

Definitely and we have more bats to use off the bench this year too. Lot of depth.

HoopsDawg
02-07-2022, 08:32 PM
Here's my early over-reaction: Neither Davis nor Skinner will be our CF. It will be Corder or James.

Here's one more: I'm starting to get a little worried about K. Clark.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-07-2022, 08:39 PM
Here's my early over-reaction: Neither Davis nor Skinner will be our CF. It will be Corder or James.

What's going on? Is it just not hitting? Or are there off field issues?

Cause if he's not hitting I just can't bring myself to worry. He's proven to have a sack and man up when the pressure is on, and he's got the whole season to get out of any slump he's in how. As long as he swings it come postseason I don't care

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 08:40 PM

I think you're right about skinner but I think Davis gets an early shot to win it. If he don't hit I believe kam will move to cf and we'll get another bat at 3b. Although Kam could stay at third and as you said Corder can play cf. I watched Corder play juco last year and the kid can play. Great wheels and good bat, decent arm too.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2022, 08:55 PM

There is one thing you can count on in college ball, and that is there will be a player that you count on heavily who will slump. It is the result of the competition level being so high, yet the players are still young and learning to make adjustments. You will always have a player that just has a terrible year. In 2021 we had Josh Hatcher in the heart of the lineup and he just flat couldn't hit. It happens every year to every program. Maybe it's a hitter, or maybe a pitcher. But somebody will "lose it" and spend the entire year trying to figure it out. I'm not saying Kellum Clark is that guy, but it will probably be somebody.

Conversely, there will be somebody who steps up and surprises all of us.

It's interesting to look at our lineup in February and early March of 2021 and see who the staff thought would produce. It just doesn't always work that way. Kellum Clark progressed, Hatcher didn't get it done, LF was a mess until Cumbest finally took it over, Kam James was playing shortstop, Cerantola couldn't figure it out, Fristoe faded.

BeardoMSU
02-07-2022, 08:57 PM

You've been consistent with this take, and I also believe it'll be true.

Activated Alpha
02-07-2022, 09:14 PM
There is one thing you can count on in college ball, and that is there will be a player that you count on heavily who will slump. It is the result of the competition level being so high, yet the players are still young and learning to make adjustments. You will always have a player that just has a terrible year. In 2021 we had Josh Hatcher in the heart of the lineup and he just flat couldn't hit. It happens every year to every program. Maybe it's a hitter, or maybe a pitcher. But somebody will "lose it" and spend the entire year trying to figure it out. I'm not saying Kellum Clark is that guy, but it will probably be somebody.

It's interesting to look at our lineup in February and early March of 2021 and see who the staff thought would produce. It just doesn't always work that way. Kellum Clark progressed, Hatcher didn't get it done, LF was a mess until Cumbest finally took it over, Kam James was playing shortstop, Cerantola couldn't figure it out, Fristoe faded.

Hatcher didn't get it done until he help start the rally against Virginia in CWS game 2. Even though he sucked for the majority of the year, he still stayed with the program and helped us win the national championship.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-07-2022, 09:27 PM
Too early to worry about Clark just based on scrimmage stats. It?s a long season.

Tripp McNeely
02-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Too early to worry about Clark just based on scrimmage stats. It?s a long season.

Actually, it'd be great to give him some motivation! Kellum is gonna be a top 2 rounder, it'd be great if he could read some of these posts and prove me right THIS season!

BrunswickDawg
02-07-2022, 10:07 PM

Same way people tried to write Rowdey off early every year.

Saltydog
02-07-2022, 10:10 PM
Yeah I've heard several people say that very thing but color me shocked if we are! I think losing the SEC poy and a solid 4 year starter is going to hurt more than some think!

Coach34
02-07-2022, 10:19 PM
Baseball is a game of streaks. It just is. I’ve watched Clark swing the bat- he is legit. He may struggle in Feb/March- so what? He will figure it out. His swing is too good not to. This offense in 2022 is going to be very good.

We will be better in 2022 than we were in 2021. Will we hit our stride at the right time? Will this team have the same amount of heart/fight? Does it have the leadership? Those are the things we’ll have to find out

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2022, 10:20 PM
Hatcher didn't get it done until he help start the rally against Virginia in CWS game 2. Even though he sucked for the majority of the year, he still stayed with the program and helped us win the national championship.

Totally agree.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 10:23 PM
Baseball is a game of streaks. It just is. I’ve watched Clark swing the bat- he is legit. He may struggle in Feb/March- so what? He will figure it out. His swing is too good not to. This offense in 2022 is going to be very good.

We will be better in 2022 than we were in 2021. Will we hit our stride at the right time? Will this team have the same amount of heart/fight? Does it have the leadership? Those are the things we’ll have to find out

Nailed it! Why patience is required in baseball and those streaks are why baseball players are so superstitious! In the words of Crash Davis "Never screw with a streak!". Of course have to find new superstitions when you hit a bad streak lol!

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2022, 10:35 PM
One thing to remember is Kellum Clark only hit .237. But Hancock only hit .262 and Kam James only hit .264. And because Kellum didn’t become a full time player until late in the year, he missed the opportunities against the inferior pitching you see early in the year and in the midweek where you can pad your stats somewhat. Kellum basically started playing full time when it was late in SEC play and into postseason play. He saw big time pitching. He has seen a slew of first round pitching. I expect him to be fine.

William Tecumsah Sherman
02-08-2022, 07:30 AM
When the weather gets warm, that?s when you want to see the bats heat up. And they will. We know KELLUM is not afraid of the moments.

viverlibre
02-08-2022, 08:08 AM

I hope Skinner does what he needs to to earn a spot.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2022, 09:06 AM
Nailed it! Why patience is required in baseball and those streaks are why baseball players are so superstitious! In the words of Crash Davis "Never screw with a streak!". Of course have to find new superstitions when you hit a bad streak lol!

Don't you know it. That superstition/team ritual aspect of the game bonds teams together too. I know ESPN hypes the stupid stuff like the Rally Banana, but there is so much more to it than the jokes. I'm reminded of it today - as it's a former teammate's birthday - after 30+ years I text him "HBD Mr. President" - his nickname because he shared a last name with a former POTUS. We had a whole thing with the President and his Cabinet pre-game. Everyone on the team had a Cabinet post - like "The Secretary of Swat", every bat had a nickname, every rally had a new cap. All sorts of lunacy developed in the massive amount of dead time you had in practices taking BP, shagging flys, or going on bus trips over a 4 year period with the same core group of guys. And damned if some of it actually worked!

Travelingdawg
02-08-2022, 09:58 AM
Don't you know it. That superstition/team ritual aspect of the game bonds teams together too. I know ESPN hypes the stupid stuff like the Rally Banana, but there is so much more to it than the jokes. I'm reminded of it today - as it's a former teammate's birthday - after 30+ years I text him "HBD Mr. President" - his nickname because he shared a last name with a former POTUS. We had a whole thing with the President and his Cabinet pre-game. Everyone on the team had a Cabinet post - like "The Secretary of Swat", every bat had a nickname, every rally had a new cap. All sorts of lunacy developed in the massive amount of dead time you had in practices taking BP, shagging flys, or going on bus trips over a 4 year period with the same core group of guys. And damned if some of it actually worked!

Bruns this is a great post, there is a lot in society that don't know what comradely is.

TNDawg35
02-08-2022, 03:37 PM
“I’m not really superstitious, but I am a little stitious…”

Hell I’m 33 and still superstitious when it comes to hunting… Just part of me. Especially turkey hunting… wore the same overalls all last year cause when I wore pants, I didn’t hear a bird on a perfect morning. Put the overalls back on and the next morning they were on fire. Crazy how the human mind works…

Commercecomet24
02-08-2022, 03:47 PM

You nailed it. Baseballs just so different than other sports. As you said with the massive amount of dead time during practices and bus trips boys tend to get really creative, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the not so good lol! I still remember those times, some of the funnest of my life. I tell my sons now(ones coaching high school baseball and the other is playing at MGCCC and planning to go into coaching) to enjoy this time and don't rush it. I'm so glad both my boys are still in the game and will be for the foreseeable future. It allows me to stay in touch with the game and with a lot of guys I grew up playing with and coaching against over the years. It's a special brotherhood and I enjoy the heck out of it!

And you're right a lot of those superstitions work!

shoeless joe
02-08-2022, 03:49 PM
Tha bats are exciting. But I believe we won last year because we had something we’ve never had before. A lock down end of the game it’s over closer. We’ve had some good ones, but they always had a hiccup at the most in opportune times.

If the sticks show up and the end of the game is solidly covered it could get real exciting…again

Johnson85
02-08-2022, 04:05 PM

Better than we were during 2021? OR better than we were at the end of 2021? During the year, there were times where our offense looked pretty questionable. Rowdey did his normal slump to start the season. Hatcher god bless him just got cursed by Jubu for his last year. Kellum was not really a factor and Cumbest wasn't getting bats yet. Dubrule did not look like he could make the adjustment to SEC pitching. Kam wasn't developing as fast as we hoped and Forsythe was an automatic out. I would really hope we are more impressive than that.

If they think we are going to basically be better than we were offensively at the end of 2021, that is much more promising.

Percho
02-08-2022, 04:21 PM
Isn't it laughable, thinking back to last year all the pain and misery posted during game threads, to in the end win it all.

What we put ourselves thru.

tcdog70
02-08-2022, 05:01 PM
good pitching beats good hitting.

Cowbell
02-08-2022, 05:49 PM
good pitching beats good hitting.

Vanderbilt lost the World Series because they couldn't hit. Kumar rocker was rocked by good hitting.

Really Clark?
02-08-2022, 06:12 PM
Vanderbilt lost the World Series because they couldn't hit. Kumar rocker was rocked by good hitting.

I mean our pitching was better than Vandy hitting and Rocker wasn't pitching his best...the team that is pitching the best with timely hitting is the team that usually wins a series

tcdog70
02-09-2022, 09:28 AM

Kumar wasn't pitching good at the time. Vandy lost because of our good pitching. Kumar had a dead arm.

OLJWales
02-09-2022, 09:36 AM

Good post.

OLJWales
02-09-2022, 09:40 AM
I hope Skinner does what he needs to to earn a spot.

Is he our best OF Fielder? He seemed to always be making ASS Hauling grabs.

Johnson85
02-09-2022, 10:07 AM
I think you're right about skinner but I think Davis gets an early shot to win it. If he don't hit I believe kam will move to cf and we'll get another bat at 3b. Although Kam could stay at third and as you said Corder can play cf. I watched Corder play juco last year and the kid can play. Great wheels and good bat, decent arm too.

Wild to think that Davis might go from being a gold glove and lead off hitter at UAB and transfer somewhere that he ends up being a defensive replacement and pinch runner.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2022, 10:16 AM
Wild to think that Davis might go from being a gold glove and lead off hitter at UAB and transfer somewhere that he ends up being a defensive replacement and pinch runner.

Exactly. Shows exactly how deep we are. Lemonis is building a beast.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2022, 10:18 AM
I mean our pitching was better than Vandy hitting and Rocker wasn't pitching his best...the team that is pitching the best with timely hitting is the team that usually wins a series

This is 99% of the time what happens in baseball.

redstickdawg
02-09-2022, 10:47 AM
This is 99% of the time what happens in baseball.

Can't underestimate how important it was that we played error free baseball as well. We didn't give up extra bases or runners.

Homedawg
02-09-2022, 10:52 AM

Vanderbilt lost the world series, because they couldn't field and faced a hot team that made them pay for it.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2022, 11:00 AM
Can't underestimate how important it was that we played error free baseball as well. We didn't give up extra bases or runners.

Defense was huge in our run. Absolutely pitching and defense still play.

R2Dawg
02-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Tha bats are exciting. But I believe we won last year because we had something we’ve never had before. A lock down end of the game it’s over closer. We’ve had some good ones, but they always had a hiccup at the most in opportune times.

If the sticks show up and the end of the game is solidly covered it could get real exciting…again

We did a lot of things right on the run last year. A whole CWS with no errors - never been done. Timely hitting and explosion at times. Best closer in baseball, yes that is a big deal but what Bednar did and our bullpen especially is a big reason we won. Houston and Johnson performance alone that night won it. Giving us our best arms for NC finish did the trick. Got to have deep pitching to win it all.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-09-2022, 07:46 PM
There is a lot of luck involved also. We could easily have zero national championships. We also could easily have one women’s basketball natty and 2 or 3 baseball nattys.