PDA

View Full Version : The Arkansas Game

BeastMan
11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I've seen some folks talking about what Bleacher Report said etc... Don't listen to that nonsense. I wrote a preview that gives an overall look at the hogs and how we can beat them >> http://3rdand57.com/msu-knowing-the-opponent-arkansas-razorbacks/

A couple quick notes:
-Arkansas has the 3rd best rushing attack in the SEC at 209 ypg. Of course they'll rush for 200 b/c that's what they do.
-They are the nations 109th scoring offense (out of 125).
-outside of 2 really good DEs, their defense struggles at most everything.

Also have been doing bowl projections (I have MSU in) http://3rdand57.com/beastmans-bowl-projections

DawgsBite34
11-21-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't think they rush for nearly 200 against us. We held Auburn at 120 and they are the nations best rushing team

BeastMan
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't think they rush for nearly 200 against us. We held Auburn at 120 and they are the nations best rushing team

My point is that you can give up 200 yards to Arky and be ok. That won't beat you. Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams are both dang good backs.

DanDority
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

Although, Auburn is a totally different team Now, then when we played them.

Coach34
11-21-2013, 11:58 AM
We need another good game from our front. They have had 2 weeks to get ready for us- that concerns me a little. But they also cant be just full of life knowing they cant go to a bowl this year.

We absolutely cant turn it over to give them easy points

DawgsBite34
11-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Although, Auburn is a totally different team Now, then when we played them.

That's true but nobody has just lined up and ran the ball on us all year. Yeldon made one or two plays there before half that was it. Hill busted a long one on us the LSU game because of bad tackling. I don't see them doing a lot against us offensively. If we have Dak we win handily. Russell or Williams can win it too. I think we are just a tough matchup for them both sides of the ball

starkvegasdawg
11-21-2013, 12:02 PM
We absolutely cant turn it over to give them easy points

That's what worries me if Williams sees the majority of the snaps. He is a true freshman and mistakes will be a given. If he plays you know Arkansas will stack 8-9 in the box and dare him to throw it. I guess that could be countered with our 5 wide empty backfield sets but this game really makes me nervous being in Little Rock.

That said, I have really enjoyed the fire I have seen in them the last two weeks. They are not giving up in games and just mailing it in. Has to be continued these last two games.

Madkinmecrazy
11-21-2013, 12:25 PM

They are now, but they had a completely different identity when we played them. Now, their offense is basically snap the ball to Marshall and he runs. I think they attempted like 7 passes two weeks ago.

That being said, we are good against the run, but I think the Auburn game is a bad example of why.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they run for 200+, especially if our offense struggles to get ahead early.

BeastMan
11-21-2013, 01:32 PM
That's what worries me if Williams sees the majority of the snaps. He is a true freshman and mistakes will be a given. If he plays you know Arkansas will stack 8-9 in the box and dare him to throw it. I guess that could be countered with our 5 wide empty backfield sets but this game really makes me nervous being in Little Rock.

That said, I have really enjoyed the fire I have seen in them the last two weeks. They are not giving up in games and just mailing it in. Has to be continued these last two games.

I think we'd go ultra conservative and make it a slugfest. Similar offensive gameplan as we used in the 2nd half of the 09 game with Relf. Biggest difference is that they don't have that offense this year. That is why I still like our chances

DawgPoundRock
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I believe our defense will be outstanding saturday, especially if williams gets the nod. I really think they will rally around and help him alot. I just hope we see some diamond formation with shump and j rob