PDA

View Full Version : Ranking our arms right now...

HoopsDawg
02-06-2022, 04:22 PM
1- 10. Of course this list will change. But based on fall and spring work and the past.

1. Landon Sims
2. KC Hunt
3. Cade Smith
4. Andrew Walling
5. Preston Johnson- needs to cut down on the walks but he is striking out a ton of batters
6. Parker Stinnett- looking good, this might be too low
7. Cam Tullar- Most improved pitcher on the roster
8. Brandon Smith
9. Mikey Tepper
10. Brooks Auger

A lot of really good options this year.

R2Dawg
02-06-2022, 04:25 PM
1- 10. Of course this list will change. But based on fall and spring work and the past.

1. Landon Sims
2. KC Hunt
3. Cade Smith
4. Andrew Walling
5. Preston Johnson- needs to cut down on the walks but he is striking out a ton of batters
8. Brandon Smith
9. Mikey Tepper
10. Brooks Auger

Where is Fristoe in the group? I'd put him at least above Stinnet.

KOdawg1
02-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Based on talent or dependability?

Bc by pure talent, I'd go with...

1. Sims
2. Walling
3. Fristoe
4. C. Smith
5. KC Hunt
6. Stinnett
7. Tepper
8. Pico Kohn
9. P. Johnson
10. Walker

But the list looks different if you rank it by who we can count on.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2022, 04:57 PM
Where is Fristoe in the group? I'd put him at least above Stinnet.

Right now, probably 12th or 13th.

Noxdog
02-06-2022, 04:58 PM
Right now, probably 12th or 13th.

Will he even pitch this year??

Overall, might be good if he shuts it down, but I don't know shit.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2022, 04:58 PM
Based on talent or dependability?

Bc by pure talent, I'd go with...

1. Sims
2. Walling
3. Fristoe
4. C. Smith
5. KC Hunt
6. Stinnett
7. Tepper
8. Pico Kohn
9. P. Johnson
10. Walker

But the list looks different if you rank it by who we can count on.

I listed in my original post the criteria. This is thru 5 spring scrimmages. The fall scrimmages. Past taken into consideration. Lemonis comments. Player comments. Summer ball.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2022, 05:00 PM
Will he even pitch this year??

Overall, might be good if he shuts it down, but I don't know shit.

Definitely concerning that he's sitting 90-91, but he won't shut it down unless he's hurt. I imagine he gets some mid-works starts. Who knows, 3 weeks from now, he could be Top 5. Talent is there.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2022, 05:42 PM

1. Landon Sims
2. KC Hunt
3. Cade Smith
4. Andrew Walling
8. Brandon Smith
9. Mikey Tepper
10. Brooks Auger

Would love if Preston can be our inning-eater after the starter is pulled.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Would love if Preston can be our inning-eater after the starter is pulled.

Yes, for sure. I hope our weekend rotation is Sims-Walling-Cade Smith. Then KC Hunt has a 2 or even 3 inning closer on Fridays. Preston being the guy that comes in early if any starter is struggling. Stinnett being a closer on Saturdays. Tullar being a matchup or 1 inning guy. That's sort of how I see the roles developing.

Then maybe Walker, Fristoe, Kohn, Brandon Smith, Auger getting a lot of mid-week work. Still not sure on Tepper. Maybe being a Colby White, 1 inning, max effort type guy.

Dawg496
02-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Crazy that our Sunday starter for half (or more?) of the season last year isn't even in the top 10-11 according to most posters. Lemonis stacking talent.

Homedawg
02-07-2022, 10:43 AM
Crazy that our Sunday starter for half (or more?) of the season last year isn't even in the top 10-11 according to most posters. Lemonis stacking talent.

Will be interesting to see how he throws today.

Coach34
02-07-2022, 10:52 AM
What I love seeing is all the competition to be the 3rd SP. Sims and Cade appear to have 1 and 2 locked up but alot of good arms competing for innings. Good problem to have

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 12:48 PM
What I love seeing is all the competition to be the 3rd SP. Sims and Cade appear to have 1 and 2 locked up but alot of good arms competing for innings. Good problem to have

If we don't have the deepest staff in the nation I want to see who does. There ain't many have the arms that we have. And Foxhall and Lemonis get them all innings which keeps them engaged and it paid off big time in the postseason run because all these kids had been in high leverage situations at some point during the year and it showed at nut cuttin time.

BeardoMSU
02-07-2022, 01:10 PM
If we don't have the deepest staff in the nation I want to see who does.

Honestly, I felt like this last year, too. Granted it was before Mac's late-season implosion, but still. The fact that we got almost nothing out of our season-long "Friday night guy" down the stretch, yet we had guys to pick up the slack said a ton.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 01:19 PM
Honestly, I felt like this last year, too. Granted it was before Mac's late-season implosion, but still. The fact that we got almost nothing out of our season-long "Friday night guy" down the stretch, yet we had guys to pick up the slack said a ton.

Yeah you got that right! Thank heavens for a coaching staff that doesn't ride 2-3 arms all year. I'm not on the level of foxhall or lemonis, not even close but this pitching philosophy allowed me to win some big time national tournaments over the years because I had deep staffs and I used them all year and when it came to nut cuttin time I could run out arm after arm while other teams were trying to piece innings together. Its a real piece of mind for a coach to know he's got multiple arms he can count on to get big outs instead of relying on 2-3 great arms. I love how our staff handles our pitchers !

Johnson85
02-07-2022, 01:23 PM
Definitely concerning that he's sitting 90-91, but he won't shut it down unless he's hurt. I imagine he gets some mid-works starts. Who knows, 3 weeks from now, he could be Top 5. Talent is there.

So his velocity is down? Is he still having control issues too? Did struggling last year just break him mentally?

Homedawg
02-07-2022, 02:04 PM
So his velocity is down? Is he still having control issues too? Did struggling last year just break him mentally?

In the one scrimmage it was. People are jumping to all types of conclusions. I say let it play out. He didn't pitch much in the fall due to a heavy workload in the spring for a guy that didn't throw much at all in 20 His command is the issue... Hopefully, he figures it out.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 02:12 PM
In the one scrimmage it was. People are jumping to all types of conclusions. I say let it play out. He didn't pitch much in the fall due to a heavy workload in the spring for a guy that didn't throw much at all in 22. His command is the issue... Hopefully, he figures it out.

Yeah command is definitely his problem. Great stuff but hasn't harnessed it yet. Flashes of dominance and then just loses it. Young pitchers and the mental stuff is the hardest part.

basedog
02-07-2022, 02:20 PM
Foxhall and Lemonis want risk arms with minor to major arm issues. Gotta love Coaches who care about their players.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 02:52 PM
Foxhall and Lemonis want risk arms with minor to major arm issues. Gotta love Coaches who care about their players.

Amen to that!

AlSwearengen
02-07-2022, 05:17 PM
Concerning Fristoe and velocity, against Missouri last year, Bednar was 90 & 91 with zero command. Horrible outing by his standards. I was concerned but in the back of mind, I was telling myself that “hopefully it’s just a hiccup in mechanics”. Looks like that is what it was.

KOdawg1
02-07-2022, 06:50 PM
Concerning Fristoe and velocity, against Missouri last year, Bednar was 90 & 91 with zero command. Horrible outing by his standards. I was concerned but in the back of mind, I was telling myself that “hopefully it’s just a hiccup in mechanics”. Looks like that is what it was.

I forgot about that. I remember watching that game and thinking "well something's wrong with Bednar"

He then won us a national championship a month later, so what do I know?

The Federalist Engineer
02-07-2022, 06:51 PM
My surprises with your list:

- Hunt (good to see him develop)
- Brandon Smith (seems low)
- J Fristoe (really not top-10?)
- Stone Simmons (hmmm)
- Tepper (seems low)

Did you just forget to include J Fristoe?

The Federalist Engineer
02-07-2022, 06:58 PM

If you listen to Lemonis interview on the Hail State website, it's interesting about Fristoe. He got more individual mention than anybody else:

- Get back his confidence
- Has great stuff but needs to compete
- Focus on winning games for "us"
- has big league stuff and body

Sounds like JF is still a work in process on the mental side. Or at least not a done deal for any specific role to start the year. Last year, he was great until something happened in Nashville. Was not the same after that.

CaptainObvious
02-08-2022, 04:42 PM
Don?t be surprised if KC Hunt is the middle of the weekend rotation.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2022, 05:40 PM
If you listen to Lemonis interview on the Hail State website, it's interesting about Fristoe. He got more individual mention than anybody else:

- Get back his confidence
- Has great stuff but needs to compete
- Focus on winning games for "us"
- has big league stuff and body

Sounds like JF is still a work in process on the mental side. Or at least not a done deal for any specific role to start the year. Last year, he was great until something happened in Nashville. Was not the same after that.

Yep, definitely seems mental.

Hopefully the coaching staff can help him out of it. There has to be a baseball equivalent of this, lol....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CkmKGQDb0&t=53s&ab_channel=rtnewman