PDA

View Full Version : New AD for Media Relations

TheRef
11-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Michael Bonner
@MikeBBonner
MSU announces Bill Martin (@LSUBillMartin) as new athletic director for media relations and will serve as primary football contact.

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Alrighty then!

RC3
11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
well who knows anything about this guy?

RC3
11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=1478774

Bill Martin Bio

Courtesy: LSUsports.net (@LSUsports)
Release: 05/10/2013

Bill Martin enters his sixth year as associate SID where he serves as the top media relations assistant for the Tigers? football team. He also handles all publicity for the LSU women?s basketball team, which reached the Sweet 16 in 2013, and supervises the SID office?s student intern staff.

During his five years with the football program, the Tigers have produced four national individual award winners and one Heisman Trophy finalist.

Martin, 30, returned to his alma mater after working as an intern in the University of Florida sports communications office from January to May 2008.

Martin handled all sports information duties for the Gators? prominent men?s and women?s golf programs while also working closely with men?s basketball and football.

Prior to his stint at Florida, Martin served as a student intern in the LSU Sports Information office from August 2001 until December 2007. He handled all publicity for the swimming and diving program. Martin also served as the secondary SID for the LSU baseball team and a student assistant for the Tigers? football team from 2003-07.

Martin graduated from LSU in December 2007. The Lake Charles, La., native is a 2001 graduate of Barbe High School.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Interesting, I wonder why he would leave LSU with him by an alumnus and having ties there? Is this a promotion for him?

TheRef
11-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Interesting, I wonder why he would leave LSU with him by an alumnus and having ties there? Is this a promotion for him?

He is only an associate SID at LSU...now he will be one of the main SID's for MSU. He will be in charge of MSU football.

RC3
11-21-2013, 11:58 AM
wasn't it just last week that people were on here stating how lsu knew how to play the media game; controlling what got out there and how things were portrayed, etc.....??? maybe this guy knows what is up. Hope so anyway

RC3
11-21-2013, 12:02 PM
seems to understand how to operate on twitter at least(god there is a ton of lsu homerism though)

https://twitter.com/LSUBillMartin

FISHDAWG
11-21-2013, 12:07 PM
seems to understand how to operate on twitter at least(god there is a ton of lsu homerism though)

https://twitter.com/LSUBillMartin

what would you expect from a guy who's job is media relations ?

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Word is he let it be known he won't put up with stupid media like Matty dispatch!

RC3
11-21-2013, 12:09 PM
what would you expect from a guy who's job is media relations ?

shit you never know with our AD making hires.

Thick
11-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Maybe Scott is catching on, or was advised to make this hire in order to make a statement to the media, IF, this guy doesn't take shit from anyone. Hopefully he's a protector of the program, and not a RAT!

Madkinmecrazy
11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
well who knows anything about this guy?

I know a bear that just left the LSU Athletic Dept doing media relations work.

I never asked him specifically about any of his bosses, but he said he loved the job and I saw some of the print stuff they put out, it was very professional and well done.

I hope that he brings in a video team that can produce something like the bears do for "The Season." I hate those guys, but that production is VERY well done.

curmudgeon
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Its a horrible hire. We hired an underling at LSU to run our entire media relations department. This guy was in charge of women's basketball at LSU. The last football hire was in charge of softball at Texas. Much better candidates out there, including in-house, that love MSU and would be loyal.

Fire. Stricklin. Now.

FlabLoser
11-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Is this guy in charge of commercials?

TheRef
11-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Its a horrible hire. We hired an underling at LSU to run our entire media relations department. This guy was in charge of women's basketball at LSU. The last football hire was in charge of softball at Texas. Much better candidates out there, including in-house, that love MSU and would be loyal.

Fire. Stricklin. Now.

What part of top media relations assisstant for the Tiger's football team do you not understand? Yes..his main goal was the Women's Basketball team but he also has worked with the men's basketball and football programs at Florida during his time there. It's not like he's new to the football area...Hell...he's probably done more in Football than any of our previous hires. Also, who would you suggest since you apparently have a list of people who would be better.

Pollodawg
11-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Can he fix the jumbotron. That's all I want to know. I am this close to buying a woman I don't know a Mercedes Benz......

C222
11-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Fire. Stricklin. Now.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I was waiting for someone to post this. Some of you are unreal.

curmudgeon
11-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Here's a small list of people who would be a better hire to run the department.

Joe Galbraith, Assistant AD, Media Relations, Clemson. Oh yeah, we ran him off.
Chuck Dunlap, Assistant Commissioner, SEC. Why would he leave the SEC for his alma mater? His predecessor did the same to South Carolina.
John Cade, Assistant AD, New Media, Mississippi State. An MSU guy who has only worked for MSU. This 30-year old is now his boss.
Greg Ellis, Assistant Director, Media Relations, Mississippi State. Has been doing football and men's basketball this year. He deserved a shot.
Brock Turnipseed, Assistant Director, Media Relations, Mississippi State. Another MSU guy who would do a great job. Has about 10 years experience on the new hire.
Koby Padgett, Assistant Director, Media Relations, South Carolina. Has also been at Tennessee. Basically a similar resume as the new hire but it is an MSU grad.
Heith Neilssen, Associate Director, Media Relations, Baylor. Has spent time at MSU in his career and successfully orchestrated RG III Heisman. Worked for Scott at one time.

FlabLoser
11-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Chuck Dunlap, Assistant Commissioner, SEC. Why would he leave the SEC for his alma mater? His predecessor did the same to South Carolina.
John Cade, Assistant AD, New Media, Mississippi State. An MSU guy who has only worked for MSU. This 30-year old is now his boss.
Greg Ellis, Assistant Director, Media Relations, Mississippi State. Has been doing football and men's basketball this year. He deserved a shot.
Brock Turnipseed, Assistant Director, Media Relations, Mississippi State. Another MSU guy who would do a great job. Has about 10 years experience on the new hire.
Koby Padgett, Assistant Director, Media Relations, South Carolina. Has also been at Tennessee. Basically a similar resume as the new hire but it is an MSU grad.
Heith Neilssen, Associate Director, Media Relations, Baylor. Has spent time at MSU in his career and successfully orchestrated RG III Heisman. Worked for Scott at one time.

Part of our administration's problem is incest. We need some new blood from outside.

C222
11-21-2013, 02:20 PM

So you want an "MSU guy" to run the department? Kinda like our AD, who you want to be fired?

Dawgfan77
11-21-2013, 02:46 PM

You do realize he took Joes place right?? Ellis was doing football and basketball now he can focus on basketball.

Political Hack
11-21-2013, 02:48 PM
I like the youth in this position personally.

engie
11-21-2013, 02:49 PM

I normally agree with you -- but you couldn't be further off on this one.

Great hire IMO -- and happy as hell to see some fresh blood from a proven winner in a department where it is SORELY needed...

curmudgeon
11-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Eh, I'll back off and take a wait and see. I don't mind being wrong on this one.

RC3
11-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Should've given Kevin Maloney, the SID at NWCC a shot ;)

Bert Stare
11-21-2013, 04:10 PM

I think we can safely assume that 'curmudgeon' is someone or sleeps with someone on this list. I personally love that we hired from outside of the box and went with someone younger. I mean, god damn, look at our media relations currently which contains the colossal combined cluster**** of advertising, social media, head-scratching media passes, and ****ing jumbotron bullshit. It's hard to imagine this 30 year old dude ****ing up any more than we have already.

Greg Byrne was another young MSU outsider that had great vision and great ideas.

curmudgeon
11-21-2013, 04:58 PM
cluster**** of advertising, social media, head-scratching media passes, and ****ing jumbotron bullshit.

None of which comes from media relations.

Advertising is the Marketing Department
Social Media is the Marketing Department for the most part.
Media Passes is Media Relations, but what you are talking about is way over their head.
****ing jumbotron bullshit is University TV/Marketing

As we discussed, we ran off our outsider Marketing Assistant AD earlier this year, and we are seeing the effects.

Like I said, I think its an odd hire for a director to be the youngest, most inexperienced employee in the department sans one. I hope I am wrong.

Bert Stare
11-21-2013, 05:07 PM
None of which comes from media relations.

Advertising is the Marketing Department
Social Media is the Marketing Department for the most part.
Media Passes is Media Relations, but what you are talking about is way over their head.
****ing jumbotron bullshit is University TV/Marketing

As we discussed, we ran off our outsider Marketing Assistant AD earlier this year, and we are seeing the effects.

Like I said, I think its an odd hire for a director to be the youngest, most inexperienced employee in the department sans one. I hope I am wrong.

That's actually really good info you posted, as most of us wouldn't know the difference, but as I said, only someone who works in that department would truly be able to distinguish the minute differences in media/marketing relations. I'm getting the feeling that you personally resent having to work for a 30 year old after 'paying' your dues to the department for so many years.