PDA

View Full Version : Guess what boys

FriarsPoint
02-06-2022, 01:40 AM
We?re not far from the defending national champions taking the field.

I say we make Omaha. I?m almost certain of it.

No. I?m not saying we repeat. I?m saying without one pitch being thrown there is no doubt in my mind we?re one of the best 8 teams in the country.

That middle infield………solid.

We get to Omaha, the standard is set. Zero errors.

Now. Of course that I’ve said that we’re going to commit 15.

Still, we’re going to Omaha.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-06-2022, 06:46 AM
MSU Baseball the slump buster for MSU fans after sucky football and basketball seasons.

AROB44
02-06-2022, 07:46 AM
MSU Baseball the slump buster for MSU fans after sucky football and basketball seasons.

Until they lose a weekend series. Then the predictable message board meltdown begins.

Cooterpoot
02-06-2022, 08:06 AM
I don't trust our pitching coach******

R2Dawg
02-06-2022, 09:38 AM
Until they lose a weekend series. Then the predictable message board meltdown begins.

This will happen more than once. Look at last year. All the bold predictions after the SECT about how bad we were, no chance at Omaha.

Every team has flaws but the team that has what we had and have always can make a run. We got the arms.

I agree with original post, I think we make Omaha again. There are not 8 better teams than we will field - period. Don't think we win it, that is so hard but CWS again extending our record streak.

Gutter Cobreh
02-06-2022, 10:09 AM
I don't trust our pitching coach******

Or the defensive shifts... or the lack of moving runners over by bunting more...***

BeardoMSU
02-06-2022, 10:49 AM
Or the defensive shifts... or the lack of moving runners over by bunting more...***

Lemonis still has a lot to prove. He was our 3rd or 4th choice for a reason.**********

PGHBulldogBG
02-06-2022, 11:55 AM
This will happen more than once. Look at last year. All the bold predictions after the SECT about how bad we were, no chance at Omaha.

Every team has flaws but the team that has what we had and have always can make a run. We got the arms.

I agree with original post, I think we make Omaha again. There are not 8 better teams than we will field - period. Don't think we win it, that is so hard but CWS again extending our record streak.

I think part of that was built up frustration from not winning a natty. Now that we got that I don?t think people will be so critical.

Tripp McNeely
02-06-2022, 12:14 PM
We?re not far from the defending national champions taking the field.

I say we make Omaha. I?m almost certain of it.

No. I?m not saying we repeat. I?m saying without one pitch being thrown there is no doubt in my mind we?re one of the best 8 teams in the country.

That middle infield………solid.

We get to Omaha, the standard is set. Zero errors.

Now. Of course that I’ve said that we’re going to commit 15.

Still, we’re going to Omaha.

I watched highlights of the National Championship game during halftime of last night's game...by the time they were over, and I wiped away a couple of tears, l didn't care if we lost to Arky by 40!!!!

AROB44
02-06-2022, 12:57 PM
I think part of that was built up frustration from not winning a natty. Now that we got that I don?t think people will be so critical.

You must be kidding....

Jack Lambert
02-06-2022, 01:03 PM

We have come a long ways now that a seven win football season is sucky. We could have easily had 9 wins.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2022, 01:13 PM
I watched highlights of the National Championship game during halftime of last night's game...by the time they were over, and I wiped away a couple of tears, l didn't care if we lost to Arky by 40!!!!

Those highlights are definitely good for a weekly pick-me-up.

Commercecomet24
02-06-2022, 01:14 PM
We have come a long ways now that a seven win football season is sucky. We could have easily had 9 wins.

Agreed.

Commercecomet24
02-06-2022, 01:15 PM
You must be kidding....

Yeah just wait until we lose a game to no name team early in the season the world will come to an end lol

basedog
02-06-2022, 01:37 PM
We are going to be good; the question is how good, I wouldn't bet we go back to Omaha, nor would I bet we want go to Omaha.

Lot of luck and with timely hitting and pitchers staying healthy. Time to focus on what is ahead because what happened several months ago means nothing. We will get everyone's best effort this year, just saying.

CaptainObvious
02-06-2022, 01:56 PM
I am not sure we replace Rowdey Jordan, Tanner Allen and Scotty Dubrule that quickly. Will and Houston were horses down the stretch.

Those type players are waiting in the wings.

Rowdey and Tanner were very good as freshmen. Do we have those type guys in this freshmen class?

RougeDawg
02-06-2022, 02:01 PM
Yeah just wait until we lose a game to no name team early in the season the world will come to an end lol

We think there is a lack of basketball IQ on this board, nothing compares to the almost non existent baseball IQ around here.

Baseball is baseball and some odd things happen throughout the season. Have to see the small and big pictures simultaneously with baseball. And there are a ton of small pictures all happening at once.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-06-2022, 02:06 PM

Losing to Memphis, Arkansas, Texas Tech and Ole Miss in one football season is sucky. Not winning a true road game in basketball is sucky. MSU easily accepts mediocrity.

OLJWales
02-06-2022, 02:40 PM
Lemonis still has a lot to prove. He was our 3rd or 4th choice for a reason.**********

My Favorites.

Commercecomet24
02-06-2022, 02:49 PM
We think there is a lack of basketball IQ on this board, nothing compares to the almost non existent baseball IQ around here.

Baseball is baseball and some odd things happen throughout the season. Have to see the small and big pictures simultaneously with baseball. And there are a ton of small pictures all happening at once.

You got that right. Baseball isn't football or basketball and patience is a must. Long season with many stories to play out. It's why you need excellent leadership which we have.

Jack Lambert
02-06-2022, 07:26 PM
Losing to Memphis, Arkansas, Texas Tech and Ole Miss in one football season is sucky. Not winning a true road game in basketball is sucky. MSU easily accepts mediocrity.

And I remember the days losing those games we would have only won two or three games. Not for some bad calls from the Refs and having to play the bowl game with out 10 key guys gone or out didn't help.

State82
02-06-2022, 11:28 PM
Winner. By a landslide.

Todd4State
02-07-2022, 02:10 AM

Based on MSU fans/community in the past Lemonis likely has a lifetime pass now. That won't stop people from being critical. The problem is being critical when it isn't warranted.

We are going to be good; the question is how good, I wouldn't bet we go back to Omaha, nor would I bet we want go to Omaha.

Lot of luck and with timely hitting and pitchers staying healthy. Time to focus on what is ahead because what happened several months ago means nothing. We will get everyone's best effort this year, just saying.
I still say winning a championship in baseball is the most difficult because it's so unpredictable. My biggest fear going into the season is what you touched on. We're going to get everyone's best shot. We didn't handle that well in 2014 IMO. Hopefully we handle it better. Teams like Ole Miss, Arkansas, LSU, and Tennessee are going to be really focused when we play them. And Vanderbilt too when we face them.

I am not sure we replace Rowdey Jordan, Tanner Allen and Scotty Dubrule that quickly. Will and Houston were horses down the stretch.

Rowdey and Tanner were very good as freshmen. Do we have those type guys in this freshmen class?

At Mississippi State we don't rebuild. We reload.**

Rowdey had his struggles when he was younger. It's just part of it. We go from one group of great players like Mangum and MacNamee to another baton being handed to TA and Rowdey. You don't really replace players like that but I do thing the baton gets handed to the next group to make their mark. This is Logan Tanner, Luke Hancock, Kam James, and Kellum Clark's team now. Pitching is a bit of a different animal but Landon Sims is a great leader and we have a lot of talent on the staff.

As far as the future I think Hunter Hines, Slate Alford, and Jack Walker are the types of players that you are referring too. You never know about freshmen and I don't try to put too much on them in year one because some are ready and some aren't. But I think Aaron Downs, Pico Kohn, Bryce Chance and Trey Higgins could maybe surprise as well. I think all of them will be good players for us though when we look back on their careers.

Todd4State
02-07-2022, 02:12 AM
And I remember the days losing those games we would have only won two or three games. Not for some bad calls from the Refs and having to play the bowl game with out 10 key guys gone or out didn't help.

What's frustrating to me the most about MSU football is we always seem to be one player away. Like this year a kicker is all we needed. Even more frustrating is we had a good one and he got hurt. And I would put kicker as one of the least likely to get injured positions in the sport.

Johnson85
02-07-2022, 11:36 AM

We don't have to replace them per say to get to Omaha. We have returning position players and pitchers that will be better, and the players that take over those positions will probably be closer to those players by the tournament than they are right now. The best 8 teams don't make Omaha, but I think we're probably one of the best 8 teams and our odds have to be as good as just about anybody's.

OLJWales
02-07-2022, 12:03 PM
I realize no amount of coaching gets substandard talent to Omaha but our high talent level combined with great coaching was off the charts at CWS. Still watch reruns of the fielding, pitching, and timely hitting clinic we put together.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 12:44 PM
Based on MSU fans/community in the past Lemonis likely has a lifetime pass now. That won't stop people from being critical. The problem is being critical when it isn't warranted.

I still say winning a championship in baseball is the most difficult because it's so unpredictable. My biggest fear going into the season is what you touched on. We're going to get everyone's best shot. We didn't handle that well in 2014 IMO. Hopefully we handle it better. Teams like Ole Miss, Arkansas, LSU, and Tennessee are going to be really focused when we play them. And Vanderbilt too when we face them.

Rowdey had his struggles when he was younger. It's just part of it. We go from one group of great players like Mangum and MacNamee to another baton being handed to TA and Rowdey. You don't really replace players like that but I do thing the baton gets handed to the next group to make their mark. This is Logan Tanner, Luke Hancock, Kam James, and Kellum Clark's team now. Pitching is a bit of a different animal but Landon Sims is a great leader and we have a lot of talent on the staff.

As far as the future I think Hunter Hines, Slate Alford, and Jack Walker are the types of players that you are referring too. You never know about freshmen and I don't try to put too much on them in year one because some are ready and some aren't. But I think Aaron Downs, Pico Kohn, Bryce Chance and Trey Higgins could maybe surprise as well. I think all of them will be good players for us though when we look back on their careers.

Great post Todd and I agree with everything

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 12:45 PM

Folks have short memories jack.

Offshore Dawg
02-07-2022, 12:58 PM

You can't put enough of ************** after that post.

BeardoMSU
02-07-2022, 01:09 PM
You can't put enough of ************** after that post.

Lol, I tried.

BrunswickDawg
02-07-2022, 03:07 PM

I agree it may be one the hardest things in college sports. But, I think there is a big difference between us in '14 and now. 2013 was a good team but not elite. And like the 2011-2012 teams, started slow and had scrap their way into the post season. We didn't get above .500 in SEC play until mid-April. In '14 we still didn't have an elite roster - and it showed in how much it hurt losing Hunter Renfroe (did you know he is a 5 tool player?), Adam Frazier, Kendell Graveman, and Chad Girodo and were dealing with getting everyone's best shot. Overall, we did a pretty good job managing it and only lost 3 SEC series - but we didn't have the hosses to make a run at Omaha again.

Since then, we've really built an Elite program that - as you say - passes the baton from one group to the next. That difference between "good" and "elite" will make trying repeat a whole different ballgame.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2022, 03:22 PM
I agree it may be one the hardest things in college sports. But, I think there is a big difference between us in '14 and now. 2013 was a good team but not elite. And like the 2011-2012 teams, started slow and had scrap their way into the post season. We didn't get above .500 in SEC play until mid-April. In '14 we still didn't have an elite roster - and it showed in how much it hurt losing Hunter Renfroe (did you know he is a 5 tool player?), Adam Frazier, Kendell Graveman, and Chad Girodo and were dealing with getting everyone's best shot. Overall, we did a pretty good job managing it and only lost 3 SEC series - but we didn't have the hosses to make a run at Omaha again.

Since then, we've really built an Elite program that - as you say - passes the baton from one group to the next. That difference between "good" and "elite" will make trying repeat a whole different ballgame.

Yes we're not rebuilding anymore we're reloading now.

The Federalist Engineer
02-07-2022, 03:39 PM
You must be kidding....

Not kidding, the Championship changed perspectives forever. Before last year, MSU fans were ready for the meteor to fall or some random heroics from the opposition.

(1) MSU beat the Mega Hot team in a Super Regional (Arizona 2016) vs Notre Dame
(2) MSU overcame the Once-in-a-Career Game from a shitty Lefty (UNC 1989) vs Virginia's McGarrity
(3) MSU overcame a devastating pitching injury (Gene's Ankle 1985) with MacLeod losing his Snap in Omaha
(4) Notre Dame had multiple Bobby Dalbec hitters at the Super, MSU answered all of them
(5) MSU forced an Omaha freakout for the Opponent, rather than getting freaked out (UCLA 2013, Oregon State 2018)

Until last year, MSU was a collegiate species of Buffalo Bills or Cleveland Indians franchise. Good teams that find a way to lose unless they are absolutely perfect, so many fans were pressing for perfect.

PikeDawg15
02-07-2022, 03:42 PM

with a kicker it could've been 10..... but it could've also as easily been 4 or 5..... it was weird and having leach will be a weird time... still not confident but I'm curious how we look next year in football with all the movement around the conference and a hard schedule

but IT IS BASEBALL SEASON

CaptainObvious
02-07-2022, 07:33 PM
We will never know obviously about 2020, but I believe that team found themselves against Texas Tech in Biloxi and could have very well been an OMAHA team. Think about it. Had 2020 played out, this program could have been in Omaha 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. That is Southern Cal precedent right there.

WSOPdawg
02-07-2022, 07:53 PM
Not kidding, the Championship changed perspectives forever. Before last year, MSU fans were ready for the meteor to fall or some random heroics from the opposition.

(1) MSU beat the Mega Hot team in a Super Regional (Arizona 2016) vs Notre Dame
(2) MSU overcame the Once-in-a-Career Game from a shitty Lefty (UNC 1989) vs Virginia's McGarrity
(3) MSU overcame a devastating pitching injury (Gene's Ankle 1985) with MacLeod losing his Snap in Omaha
(4) Notre Dame had multiple Bobby Dalbec hitters at the Super, MSU answered all of them
(5) MSU forced an Omaha freakout for the Opponent, rather than getting freaked out (UCLA 2013, Oregon State 2018)

Until last year, MSU was a collegiate species of Buffalo Bills or Cleveland Indians franchise. Good teams that find a way to lose unless they are absolutely perfect, so many fans were pressing for perfect.

Dang, ^^^^^^ that's strong! Rep given.

BeardoMSU
02-07-2022, 11:56 PM
We will never know obviously about 2020, but I believe that team found themselves against Texas Tech in Biloxi and could have very well been an OMAHA team. Think about it. Had 2020 played out, this program could have been in Omaha 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. That is Southern Cal precedent right there.

Who knows who'd have gone pro after, tho. I wouldn't change a thing. It all worked out.

Plus, OM will always get to brag they finished that season ranked #1, lol.

shoeless joe
02-08-2022, 03:41 PM
Can?t predict Omaha. Most of the time the best 8 teams in the country aren?t there. More like 5 of the best 8 and then 3 other teams that caught fire at the right time. And those numbers could reverse and fluctuate any given year.

We should make a super?after that there?s so much luck, clutch, big pitch execution, making a spectacular defensive play, capitalizing on opponents mistakes, one big swing (Tanner Allen vs Virginia) that it just can?t be predicted. However, this team has been there and done that. If some new guys can step up and help fill the void of rowdey and Tanner then the sky?s the limit?.with a little luck