PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Bucs hire Doug Pederson

Irondawg
02-03-2022, 10:44 PM
Apparently Leftwich wanted them to can the GM to take the job.

While the GMs resume isn?t good at all, no first time NFL coach is going to carry that kind of juice.

Wonder if the Vikes will give him a look or the Saints or Texans. It was generally assumed he was a shoe in for the Jags job

Commercecomet24
02-03-2022, 10:49 PM
You mean the jags hired Pederson

Vandownbytheriver
02-03-2022, 10:53 PM
I know I've never been able to go into an interview and say,
"I'd love to work here, but the supervisor sucks. Hire my friend and I'll let you pay me lots of money."

Commercecomet24
02-03-2022, 10:56 PM
I know I've never been able to go into an interview and say,
"I'd love to work here, but the supervisor sucks. Hire my friend and I'll let you pay me lots of money."

Same here. Just doesn't play well with most employers

Tater
02-03-2022, 11:33 PM
Same here. Just doesn't play well with most employers

Well the Jags should have listened and canned Baalke. Dude has not had a coach last more than a year under his GMing. Terrible.

Commercecomet24
02-03-2022, 11:39 PM
Well the Jags should have listened and canned Baalke. Dude has not had a coach last more than a year under his GMing. Terrible.

Probably so the whole jags organization has been a mess for awhile

Vandownbytheriver
02-03-2022, 11:39 PM

When someone owns a business they are allowed to run it however they like. Even run it into the ground. And when you own something, most people don't like being told by a prospective employee to can another employee or I won't let you pay me. That's not a tactic a coordinator can take.

Irondawg
02-04-2022, 12:18 AM
Oh I agree the GM stinks and it?s well within Byron?s rights to not want to work with him but they were also bringing in Speilman to help.

Just proves that sometimes more goes into these hires than we understand sometimes.

Byron is in a good spot right now and if Brady liked him then he can pull a Billy Napier and wait for a situation he really likes

Tater
02-04-2022, 12:38 AM
Probably so the whole jags organization has been a mess for awhile

He was the reason Harbaugh left and oversaw that organization being run into the ground.

1 year of Harbaugh
1 year of Tomsula
1 year of Chip Kelly

Some how hired again
1 year of Marrone
1 year of Urban

Tater
02-04-2022, 12:41 AM
When someone owns a business they are allowed to run it however they like. Even run it into the ground. And when you own something, most people don't like being told by a prospective employee to can another employee or I won't let you pay me. That's not a tactic a coordinator can take.

Ok and that's not up for debate??? The point is baalke is the worst GM by a landslide in the NFL. And that includes the Texans and their merry band of ****ery. GM / HC need to be in sync. Bill Parcells used to have a saying about buying the groceries and cooking the food. Can't have someone buy groceries for a cook that doesn't want to cook them.

Vandownbytheriver
02-04-2022, 12:57 AM
Ok and that's not up for debate??? The point is baalke is the worst GM by a landslide in the NFL. And that includes the Texans and their merry band of ****ery. GM / HC need to be in sync. Bill Parcells used to have a saying about buying the groceries and cooking the food. Can't have someone buy groceries for a cook that doesn't want to cook them.

I'm not saying Baalke is even a serviceable GM, I'm saying no prospective employee has the right to demand someone else gets hired as a condition of their employment. It just doesn't work that way. If he had a better pedigree or some sort of prolonged head coaching success, maybe. Not as an OC who benefited from the GOAT being on your team for two seasons. Try that in any other profession and you get laughed out of the interview. People have forgotten that when someone is paying you they make the final decisions. It's why they are the boss and you're the employee.

Tater
02-04-2022, 01:10 AM
I'm not saying Baalke is even a serviceable GM, I'm saying no prospective employee has the right to demand someone else gets hired as a condition of their employment. It just doesn't work that way. If he had a better pedigree or some sort of prolonged head coaching success, maybe. Not as an OC who benefited from the GOAT being on your team for two seasons. Try that in any other profession and you get laughed out of the interview. People have forgotten that when someone is paying you they make the final decisions. It's why they are the boss and you're the employee.

lol do you not know how sports work? this is absolutely the norm. byron saying he won't accept the job if baalke is the gm is a normal thing.

look at harbaugh. he wasn't hired by the raiders / vikings because he made the same type of demands. he wanted to be his own gm (from dealing with baalke, it really soured him).

GM / HC need to be in lockstep.

actually upon re-reading, you see the GM as a direct HC boss. it's not really true. VP/Pres of Football Operations is that "boss". GM is the grocery buyer, Head Coach is the chef.

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2022, 07:38 AM

You are looking at this as if NFL HC is a normal 9-5 job - it ain't. Leftwich is spot on not wanting to coach with the current GM in place. Remember Leftwich is a former Jag. They had to ask him what it would take for him to be their coach - and he was smart enough to protect his interests and tell them the truth. Keeping Baalke shows the Jags have no interest in getting better. Pederson is a dead man walking, as is any coach who steps in that room. How bad is Baalke? The fans came dressed as clowns to the last game to protest Shad Khan having not fired him.

Pancho
02-04-2022, 08:09 AM
lol do you not know how sports work? this is absolutely the norm. byron saying he won't accept the job if baalke is the gm is a normal thing.

look at harbaugh. he wasn't hired by the raiders / vikings because he made the same type of demands. he wanted to be his own gm (from dealing with baalke, it really soured him).

actually upon re-reading, you see the GM as a direct HC boss. it's not really true. VP/Pres of Football Operations is that "boss". GM is the grocery buyer, Head Coach is the chef.

So, we now assume that the dolphins were not all in lock step? Tater need start consulting for the NFL.

Tater
02-04-2022, 09:57 AM
So, we now assume that the dolphins were not all in lock step? Tater need start consulting for the NFL.

you're a troll who's added nothing of value to the board in 3 months. shoo

Commercecomet24
02-04-2022, 02:08 PM
You are looking at this as if NFL HC is a normal 9-5 job - it ain't. Leftwich is spot on not wanting to coach with the current GM in place. Remember Leftwich is a former Jag. They had to ask him what it would take for him to be their coach - and he was smart enough to protect his interests and tell them the truth. Keeping Baalke shows the Jags have no interest in getting better. Pederson is a dead man walking, as is any coach who steps in that room. How bad is Baalke? The fans came dressed as clowns to the last game to protest Shad Khan having not fired him.

Yeah the jags are a disaster.

Catfish
02-04-2022, 02:16 PM
Yeah the jags are a disaster.

Washington Commanders say, "Hold my beer."

Commercecomet24
02-04-2022, 02:24 PM
Washington Commanders say, "Hold my beer."

I started to put in there that the jags were neck and neck with the team in DC whatever they're called now lol

662dawg
02-04-2022, 02:33 PM

The MINORITY owner of the Jags must really like Trent Baalke. But I agree, he?s had a rough few years. if I were a GM I?d want to see how Leftwich did post-Brady.

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2022, 02:49 PM
I started to put in there that the jags were neck and neck with the team in DC whatever they're called now lol

DC at least has a history, good colors, and the Hogs. The Jags have the dubmass "Duuu-vallll" cheer.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2022, 02:49 PM
DC at least has a history, good colors, and the Hogs. The Jags have the dubmass "Duuu-vallll" cheer.

Great post, Bruns!

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2022, 02:52 PM
Great post, Bruns!

You have no idea how horrible it is being in the Jacksonville TV market - the nightly news is Gators, Murders, Du-val, Murders, Jags, some red-neck doing something stupid on camera, murders, and Tim Tebow.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2022, 02:57 PM
You have no idea how horrible it is being in the Jacksonville TV market - the nightly news is Gators, Murders, Du-val, Murders, Jags, some red-neck doing something stupid on camera, murders, and Tim Tebow.

Wow! That sucks!

Johnson85
02-04-2022, 03:09 PM

He absolutely has that right? People pass on jobs all the time because of who they will have to work for at the new job, either because they know it will be a nightmare working with/for them or because they know the other person's incompetence will likely doom them and potentially hurt future career options. Most people don't bother asking for changes and it might not have been smart for Leftwich to make the issue known as opposed to just declining. He's got an enemy for life now and other GM's may not want him to come in for an interview if they think he's likely to come in and trash them. If you're an NFL coach in a good position and really think that a GM is subpar, it's probably pretty smart to avoid tying your future to him.

Pancho
02-04-2022, 05:04 PM
you're a troll who's added nothing of value to the board in 3 months. shoo

I am very good at detecting one who thinks he is all knowing. I thought a troll was a shark fan? Why can't you realize that we all don't wallow in the mire and complain? You seem to have issues with the free part of free speech there Tater. Carry on with your wealth of knowledge.

Vandownbytheriver
02-04-2022, 06:58 PM
He absolutely has that right? People pass on jobs all the time because of who they will have to work for at the new job, either because they know it will be a nightmare working with/for them or because they know the other person's incompetence will likely doom them and potentially hurt future career options. Most people don't bother asking for changes and it might not have been smart for Leftwich to make the issue known as opposed to just declining. He's got an enemy for life now and other GM's may not want him to come in for an interview if they think he's likely to come in and trash them. If you're an NFL coach in a good position and really think that a GM is subpar, it's probably pretty smart to avoid tying your future to him.

You can ask for stuff all day long, but don't expect to get it by making demands of your new boss that are out of your scope. He's in no position to give them a take it or leave it proposal. He has done nothing to expect a my way or the highway type situation to work out in his favor. I've left jobs, turned down jobs, withdrew my name from consideration for issues like you've described in the past. At no point did it cross my mind to scorch earth my new employer or burn bridges that didn't need to be burned. I simply walked away and didn't make issues when issues didn't need to be made. That kind of stuff will always bite you in the ass eventually. Their organization is in shambles, but as long as Shad is paying the bills, he makes those decisions. It's a private organization. He has the right to tell Byron thanks but no thanks if he feels his conditions of employment don't line up with what he wants. It works both ways.