PDA

View Full Version : NFL and tanking

Irondawg
02-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Hue Jackson joins the party

Former Browns head coach Hue Jackson implied on Twitter that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam paid him to lose games.
Jackson tweeted "Trust me it was a good number!" in response to a tweet suggesting he was not paid $100,000 per loss, as former Dolphins head coach Brian Flores alleges he was offered by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Executive director of Jackson's foundation, Kimberly Diemert followed up with a tweet claiming that they have records that Jackson and Browns executives--including current general manager Andrew Berry--were paid to tank in 2016 and 2017. It's possible that Jackson plans to sign on to Flores' class action suit against the NFL. In either case, this story is far from over.

Boy if they can start proving that owners were paying coaches to tank that?s going to be a major story. It?s pretty clear when teams are tanking but paying coaches extra incentives for losing is a new one to me.

Is the recently fired Texans coach going to join the fray?

This did get me thinking on how it could work if there was no draft - only a salary cap. I think then endorsements deals would start to be a problem

BrunswickDawg
02-02-2022, 10:44 AM
Hue Jackson joins the party

Former Browns head coach Hue Jackson implied on Twitter that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam paid him to lose games.
Jackson tweeted "Trust me it was a good number!" in response to a tweet suggesting he was not paid $100,000 per loss, as former Dolphins head coach Brian Flores alleges he was offered by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Executive director of Jackson's foundation, Kimberly Diemert followed up with a tweet claiming that they have records that Jackson and Browns executives--including current general manager Andrew Berry--were paid to tank in 2016 and 2017. It's possible that Jackson plans to sign on to Flores' class action suit against the NFL. In either case, this story is far from over.

Boy if they can start proving that owners were paying coaches to tank that?s going to be a major story. It?s pretty clear when teams are tanking but paying coaches extra incentives for losing is a new one to me.

Is the recently fired Texans coach going to join the fray?

This did get me thinking on how it could work if there was no draft - only a salary cap. I think then endorsements deals would start to be a problem

Hue Jackson's teams went 1-31 over those 2 seasons. It's an interesting thought that they were paying him to be that crappy. Mainly because he started the next season 2-5-1 before being fired - after which the team went 5-3.

thf24
02-02-2022, 12:03 PM

Yep. The fine ethical line between not trying to win at an organizational level to serve your best interests and deliberately trying to lose is a complicated issue, but I don't think there can be much debate that this falls squarely on the wrong side if true.

TheLostDawg
02-02-2022, 09:30 PM
I heard Dan was paid by opposing teams to lose. That's why we always ran up the middle on 3rd and +10 to go.**

Seriously though on the NFL I think it all depends on when they were paid to do so. If it was the end of the season, I think it's a little different due to the draft. Still not good either way but it's more understandable.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-02-2022, 10:38 PM
The NFL could do a draft lottery.