PDA

View Full Version : Pete roussell(sp?) on oob

RC3
11-21-2013, 08:59 AM
He's right. We better get ready to pay some big $$ to Collins. Guy has raised some eyebrows nationwide. Someone is going to target him this year. I don't think we can afford more coaching turnover at this position. Pay da man what he deserves

EngineerDawg
11-21-2013, 09:05 AM
couldn't agree more... tried and true. His pay day has arrived!

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2013, 09:08 AM
He's right. We better get ready to pay some big $$ to Collins. Guy has raised some eyebrows nationwide. Someone is going to target him this year. I don't think we can afford more coaching turnover at this position. Pay da man what he deserves

Completely agree. Mullen simply can't afford more turnover at his DC position. We have to pay our coordinators more, so they aren't enticed to leave to bigger programs.

I am so sick of this crap though. At MSU, if we win 8-9 games everyone wants to hire our coaches, but if we win less than 6, everyone wants to fire our coaches. Stricklin simply can't afford to lose Collins this off-season.

We simply can't build a program or maximize our recruiting with that instability.

BulldogBear
11-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Agree Agree Agree. Calling all dogs! Can we all pitch in $5-10 if that's what it takes?

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-21-2013, 09:11 AM
I would like to wait and see how the season finishes before that. Defense is going to have to come up big in the next two games.

RC3
11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
I would like to wait and see how the season finishes before that. Defense is going to have to come up big in the next two games.

I am gonna disagree. they have proven themselves in every game thus far with the exception of lsu....where to me they just got out athleted on some plays, not that the scheme was bad. i think they held auburn to their lowest rushing yards of the season. i am sold. if the performance against bama was not convincing enough, i don't know what to tell you. pay the man.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Somehow I doubt you will be saying that if we give up 40 points to Ole Miss.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2013, 09:20 AM
The defense look right to me this year, and is getting better.

BulldogBear
11-21-2013, 09:20 AM
What if it's 40 points on 278 total yards because they don't start a drive in their own territory? If we get blown away I kind of doubt the defense will be the real problem.

Original48
11-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Easy fix. I like Les Koenning but we don't need his position as it is filled by Dan Mullen. Get rid of the OC salary...put a good portion toward Collins salary and the rest on a bonfide special teams and kicking coach and recruiter.

Coach34
11-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Collins has a shot at a head job or two also. Another bullet we will have to dodge

Coach34
11-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I agree 48- need a young recruiter/QB coach. Give them a BS title like we gave Hud to get their salary up a little- but not coordinator level pay. Then bump up the DC pay about 200K

RC3
11-21-2013, 09:37 AM
What's Collins making now? 250k? I'm too lazy to look it up but IMO he needs to be making at least 450. Surely we can find a measley couple hundred thousand to up his pay

Political Hack
11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
if we give up 21-28 points in the last two minutes of halves over the next two games I can't see us giving him a pay raise. we're one of the best defenses in the nation outside of the two-minute drill, and possibly the worst inside of it. Fix that and he's going to be getting comparisons to Kirby smart by the end of next season.

DawgInMemphis
11-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Easy fix. I like Les Koenning but we don't need his position as it is filled by Dan Mullen. Get rid of the OC salary...put a good portion toward Collins salary and the rest on a bonfide special teams and kicking coach and recruiter.

Adding premium seating and bowling in the end zone will help in the long run in being able to pay our coaches more. Lots of benefits to expansion, as long as we win enough to fill it up.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-21-2013, 09:51 AM
What's Collins making now? 250k? I'm too lazy to look it up but IMO he needs to be making at least 450. Surely we can find a measley couple hundred thousand to up his pay

$325,000. Lowest paid in the SEC. Probably need to bump him up to 500k or so to make it competitive. Agreed with 48 that Koenning is redundant. I would like to see Koenning and Sallach go in the offseason. Can we please finally spend some ****ing money on assistants? We can afford to throw around a few hundred grand.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
The problem is that we need to be more than competitive.

MSU needs to pay more than any other school for coordinators so that it makes up for the other struggles of the job.

In a perfect world we need to create our own competitive advantage that our stadium size, recruiting, and job security doesn't offer.

Barking 13
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
What does it matter if the HC is replaced***

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2013, 10:01 AM
What does it matter if the HC is replaced***

I know, right***

This one of the hilarious conundrums of the entire fire Mullen narrative.

People have to realize that we would be starting over on BOTH sides of the ball if Mullen leaves. Not just upgrading our use of offensive personnel.

Thick
11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
What if it's 40 points on 278 total yards because they don't start a drive in their own territory? If we get blown away I kind of doubt the defense will be the real problem.

Then I'm pissed that they gave up TDs instead of forcing FGs....simple.

RC3
11-21-2013, 10:23 AM
We just need to be more aggressive on those two minute drills. Put pressure on the qb. Quit worrying about the big play. Play to our strength which is a talented defensive front. Let em hunt even late in the halves

deltadawg99
11-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Collins has done a good job this season and I think we need to give him a raise (if the defense plays well against Arkansas and Ole Miss), but I don't think we are in danger of losing him this year. He's only be the DC for one year and most bigger schools will likely want somebody with more experience. Just my opinion

Coach34
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Manny was at State one year and was hired by Texas

Collins name is being thrown around. We'll see what happens

bully99
11-21-2013, 10:43 AM
What were they more impressed with. The 59 against lsu...or the 51 he gave up to TX a+m. Or the collapse against auburn to lose the game .. or allowing a late score at the end of each half.
Let's see how he does against the long haired looney on Thanksgiving night. Pending

MaroonState
11-21-2013, 10:45 AM
What were they more impressed with. The 59 against lsu...or the 51 he gave up to TX a+m. Or the collapse against auburn to lose the game .. or allowing a late score at the end of each half.
Let's see how he does against the long haired looney on Thanksgiving night. Pending

This.

RC3
11-21-2013, 11:13 AM

now you watched the same game against lsu that I did, right?? you know they played admirably for a large portion of that game. I thought we got after johnny football as well as anyone; Havent they scored 40+ in like 15 straight games?? I have already acknowledged that he needs to improve on the two-minute drill defense. quit playing scared, bring the house like you have done all game etc....he will fix that eventually

engie
11-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I know, right***

People have to realize that we would be starting over on BOTH sides of the ball if Mullen leaves. Not just upgrading our use of offensive personnel.

Starting over?

Mullen kept 3 of Croom's defensive coaches. The ONLY change we had on the defensive side of the ball in year 1 out of the Croom error was in Torbush at LB coach/DC.

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 11:39 AM
We just need to be more aggressive on those two minute drills. Put pressure on the qb. Quit worrying about the big play. Play to our strength which is a talented defensive front. Let em hunt even late in the halves

Good post. Collins has done a good job with a young but talented defense and it will be much improved next yr. I don't think we have to worry abt losing him this yr. he has done good but not great. I think tho that next yr the improvement will be so dramatic that folks will come after him. He needs improvement in 2 areas. 1. Defending face paced spread 2. Two min defense. Other than that I've been very satisfied.

engie
11-21-2013, 11:39 AM
now you watched the same game against lsu that I did, right?? you know they played admirably for a large portion of that game. I thought we got after johnny football as well as anyone; Havent they scored 40+ in like 15 straight games?? I have already acknowledged that he needs to improve on the two-minute drill defense. quit playing scared, bring the house like you have done all game etc....he will fix that eventually

I believe that the 2 minute defense is being largely dictated by Mullen... That's why it looks like an entirely different team in those stretches every year under him outside of arguably 2010. Since he was fully "acclimated" as a head coach, definitely since 2011, we've always pulled the same shit in those stretches. Just fits TOO WELL with our meager prevent offensive philosophy late in games for there to be no correlation -- from a DC that has otherwise proven he definitely wants to attack.

RC3
11-21-2013, 11:43 AM
I believe that the 2 minute defense is being largely dictated by Mullen... That's why it looks like an entirely different team in those stretches every year under him outside of arguably 2010. Since he was fully "acclimated" as a head coach, definitely since 2011, we've always pulled the same shit in those stretches. Just fits TOO WELL with our meager prevent offensive philosophy late in games for there to be no correlation -- from a DC that has otherwise proven he definitely wants to attack.
I wouldnt be surprised if that is the case actually. Mullen needs to let some people do their jobs if true...and maybe hire a special teams coordinator while he is at it, and let that person do their job as well

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Good post. Collins has done a good job with a young but talented defense and it will be much improved next yr. I don't think we have to worry abt losing him this yr. he has done good but not great. I think tho that next yr the improvement will be so dramatic that folks will come after him. He needs improvement in 2 areas. 1. Defending face paced spread 2. Two min defense. Other than that I've been very satisfied.

The reason I say this is to say that when we are giving him a raise we need to remember not to kill ourselves so that we can't really bring some money to the table when he has some real big time offers. If we give him a raise up to 500k this yr then what will we do next yr when he's a really hot candidate. I would say bump him up 50 grand this yr and then be ready to pay big money to him after next yr. (650k+). I agree completely with getting rid of the oc position. Let Mullen be his own oc and take that oc money to hire a qb coach/special teams coach.

RC3
11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
The reason I say this is to say that when we are giving him a raise we need to remember not to kill ourselves so that we can't really bring some money to the table when he has some real big time offers. If we give him a raise up to 500k this yr then what will we do next yr when he's a really hot candidate. I would say bump him up 50 grand this yr and then be ready to pay big money to him after next yr. (650k+). I agree completely with getting rid of the oc position. Let Mullen be his own oc and take that oc money to hire a qb coach/special teams coach.

i see that argument, but imo he deserves more than a 50k bump. he has earned more than that and the other coaches (and future candidates out there) need to see that if you get the job done, you will be compensated. I believe he will get his share of offers this year. may not be any of the big boys right now coming after him but someone will be willing to pay him more than we are at the moment. You have to also remember that he seems to be making some impressions in the recruiting game. Can not afford a hit there either as we are always somewhat struggling in that regard. So i stand by my OP, pay the man

engie
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fau-blog/sfl-who-will-be-faus-next-head-coach-20131031,0,4408856.story

He's already being mentioned for head coaching vacancies. Underestimating the interest out there for him is at our own peril.

Give him a new contract with a base salary of $400k with the ability to earn up to $750k with a very specific incentive package...

We've got enough money now to largely price the "market" for him out just like we did for Mullen. Got to step up and do it -- and needed it done yesterday. Once he's taking interviews, we've already basically lost him IMO.

theloungeinleft
11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fau-blog/sfl-who-will-be-faus-next-head-coach-20131031,0,4408856.story

He's already being mentioned for head coaching vacancies. Underestimating the interest out there for him is at our own peril.

Give him a new contract with a base salary of $400k with the ability to earn up to $750k with a very specific incentive package...

We've got enough money now to largely price the "market" for him out just like we did for Mullen. Got to step up and do it -- and needed it done yesterday. Once he's taking interviews, we've already basically lost him IMO.

But also tell him to ditch the CB blitz.

basedog
11-21-2013, 01:15 PM

You are way over your head! You got way too many issues with Mullen, just saying man!

preachermatt83
11-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Then what do we do next year when he really performs great and the big boys come? We will already be tapped out.

engie
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM
You are way over your head! You got way too many issues with Mullen, just saying man!

Yeah WAYYY over my head!!1!1

Why did we do the EXACT same thing with Wilson that we are doing now? Do you HONESTLY think Collins is the one that goes from attack, attack, attack -- to "oh let's not rush anybody and sit in a soft zone to get picked apart -- but at least we won't give up a big play"? Anyone with critical reasoning ability can see, clearly, that it doesn't fit HIS style of coaching.

Coach57 has talked with Chris Wilson at length about this at a coaching clinic. He can tell you all about it... And that's STRAIGHT from our former DC while he was still coaching here.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Then what do we do next year when he really performs great and the big boys come? We will already be tapped out.

Nothing we can do about it if one of the big boys comes and offers him Kirby Smart or John Chavis money. No reason we can't bump it up a couple 100k though if he performs well. Hopefully a few staff changes are made on top of that in the offseason.

maroonmania
11-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Uh, we had given 31 points up to LSU through 3 quarters even BEFORE the 4th quarter onslaught. So I wouldn't say we played them admirably on defense at all even for the first 3 quarters. Our offense played admirably for 3 quarters. I mean this is the same LSU offense that OM only gave up 24 points to for the whole game.

engie
11-21-2013, 01:31 PM

No, we won't be even CLOSE to tapped out -- and no one is going to poach a DC already making(potentially up to) $750k in the SEC with money being the reason he leaves. We'd be paying him more than Diaz got from Texas when they poached him -- and he'd be one the 10 highest-paid coordinators in all of college football, keeping in mind that this is INCENTIVE BASED -- and it would be very hard for him to reach that ceiling of $750k, and if he did, he would probably be in the running for a TON of head coaching gigs.

"Next year" we will be running into the first year of SECNetwork money -- as well as having an extra $10mil/yr coming from our stadium expansion. That's approximately an extra $25 MILLION DOLLARS that has to go somewhere. The days of coaches being "bought" from us will be long gone unless we're just too stupid with our money to PAY THE ONES WE WANT TO KEEP. Which we honestly may be, judging by the ridiculous salary we pay Collins right now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/61621/sec-defensive-coordinators-cashing-in

LSU’s John Chavis $1.1 million
Alabama’s Kirby Smart $950,000
Georgia’s Todd Grantham $850,000
Auburn’s Ellis Johnson $800,000
South Carolina’s Lorenzo Ward $650,000
Arkansas’ Chris Ash $550,000
Missouri’s Dave Steckel $550,000
Ole Miss’ Dave Wommack $550,000
Texas A&M’s Mark Snyder $500,000
Kentucky’s D.J. Eliot $500,000
Florida’s D.J. Durkin $490,000
Tennessee’s John Jancek $470,000
Mississippi State’s Geoff Collins $325,000

But, hey, let's bump him up $50k, so he's only the lowest-paid DC in the league by 30% instead of 70%. That should give him PLENTY of reason to stick with us and not jump at other opportunities**

engie
11-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Uh, we had given 31 points up to LSU through 3 quarters even BEFORE the 4th quarter onslaught. So I wouldn't say we played them admirably on defense at all even for the first 3 quarters. Our offense played admirably for 3 quarters. I mean this is the same LSU offense that OM only gave up 24 points to for the whole game.

There was NOTHING Collins could do in that LSU game. Mettenberger and Landry/Beckham were just THAT good that night. Go back and watch the first 2 LSU drives of the game and you'll see exactly what I mean.

basedog
11-21-2013, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=engie;91709]Yeah WAYYY over my head!!1!1

Why did we do the EXACT same thing with Wilson that we are doing now? Do you HONESTLY think Collins is the one that goes from attack, attack, attack -- to "oh let's not rush anybody and sit in a soft zone to get picked apart -- but at least we won't give up a big play"? Anyone with critical reasoning ability can see, clearly, that it doesn't fit HIS style of coaching.

Why would I believe what another coach like Wilson or anyone else has to say about Mullen after beng fired? Besides, you got way to much hatred for Mullen. As a former college football player as well as coaching basketball on the college level, you are way over the top when you are discussing Mullen as a head coach.

engie
11-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Why would I believe what another coach like Wilson or anyone else has to say about Mullen after beng fired? Besides, you got way to much hatred for Mullen. As a former college football player as well as coaching basketball on the college level, you are way over the top when you are discussing Mullen as a head coach.

Firstly, you should learn to quote.

Secondly, Wilson told him that while he was STILL the DC at MSU. He even brought it to the board at the time and people gave him hell for it saying it was sour grapes -- but it sure does seem viable now -- after the next guy does the EXACT SAME THING in an otherwise very good performance as DC at MSU.

Love how you throw your "qualifications" in attempt to make your opinion "superior" -- when you haven't actually brought a damn thing to the table. Yeah, you told me** People that "know it" prove it in what they say over time -- while idiots stand around and tell you how much they know without ever bringing anything to the table.

Feel free to link me to all this "over the top" stuff I've done in discussing Mullen as head coach? But you won't -- because it's just straw man bullshit.

EAVdog
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
I know, right***

We can just switch out coaches and keep going forward. No real big thing.

At some point Mullen has to get some credit for finding and bringing in these sought after Coordinators especially since he's doing it on the cheap right? Here's my whole thing, why try to switch the HC now when someone else will still be trying to assemble a staff of unproven or over the hill guys because it's the best we can afford? If/when we make a switch we better have the money right because the new coach will be hamstrung with the exact same problems Mullen is having now unless we can pay 450-750k for at least some good coordinators.

If everyone clamoring for a change would just send Stricklin a dollar for every post online we may make some headway.

engie
11-21-2013, 02:16 PM
For goodness sakes, we DO NOT HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS. And pretending that we do is just LT-era window dressing towards the agenda of maintaining status quo...