PDA

View Full Version : NCAA looking at players faking injuries

starkvegasdawg
01-31-2022, 05:56 PM
We may get a Lane rule after all the BS last season.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ncaa-rules-committee-exploring-options-to-stop-fake-injuries-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR0t3PIxvG6kjPgyOBn5kY7gIA20htbMR_jjV0Jo Jk91M7vX00xO9LwvG90

parabrave
01-31-2022, 06:02 PM
Smoke and Mirrors. How can a ref say if a player is hurt or not. First time a ref screws it up that will be the biggest Lawsuit in NCAA history. The only thing they can and should do is deep them out of the game for a quarter. Tell you the truth I wish we did it in the eb to slow them down

yjnkdawg
01-31-2022, 06:49 PM
The Ole Miss football program has a history of causing controversy and confusion and eventually rule changes in some instances, but I agree with parabrave on this one. Keep them out of the game for a specified period of time. Players can still fake injuries, but it will be up to the coach to decide if it is worthwhile to do so.

R2Dawg
01-31-2022, 06:58 PM
Smoke and Mirrors. How can a ref say if a player is hurt or not. First time a ref screws it up that will be the biggest Lawsuit in NCAA history. The only thing they can and should do is deep them out of the game for a quarter. Tell you the truth I wish we did it in the eb to slow them down

They don't have to, if they make said hurt player sit out so many plays, you might see this stop.

Pinto
01-31-2022, 08:21 PM
I like the idea that a player has to stay out until the next change of possession.

OLJWales
01-31-2022, 08:35 PM
I like the idea that a player has to stay out until the next change of possession.

That's a good idea to get the conversion going. Would rushing in a 3rd stringer for a play possum to stop the clock though to counter new rule? A player that wouldn't be missed for a series?

coachnorm
01-31-2022, 08:58 PM
Maybe make clock stopping injuries reviewable. The injury should be reviewed after the game and if deemed a fake injury, the player will be disqualified for a half of the next FBS game on schedule?

ScoobaDawg
01-31-2022, 09:55 PM
I think you start with must stay out 3 plays or must use a timeout.
That allows a legit evaluation period.

Bdawg
01-31-2022, 10:40 PM
That's a good idea to get the conversion going. Would rushing in a 3rd stringer for a play possum to stop the clock though to counter new rule? A player that wouldn't be missed for a series?

My thought exactly. Run out a scrub and let him take the dive! Ha

Dak Holliday
01-31-2022, 11:36 PM
I think you start with must stay out 3 plays or must use a timeout.
That allows a legit evaluation period.

100% agree. This is the most correct answer

Tater
02-01-2022, 12:28 AM
This one's actually pretty easy.

Make it a 5 yard delay of game / substitution infraction (that can be prevented with a defensive timeout) anytime a defensive player is injured and the offense makes no substitutions after a positive gain / 1st down.

This captures the specific scenario we see the egregious problem. It adequately deters the intentional free timeout. And it does not deter a player from receiving medical help if they seriously need it like sitting out a quarter or a 15 yd personal foul would.

Any rules stating a player must sit out X number of plays / quarter would inevitably lead to people trying to play through an injury and confusion / contesting if someone didn't wait the correct allotted amount.

Todd4State
02-01-2022, 02:22 AM

Make it a 5 yard delay of game / substitution infraction (that can be prevented with a defensive timeout) anytime a defensive player is injured and the offense makes no substitutions after a positive gain / 1st down.

This captures the specific scenario we see the egregious problem. It adequately deters the intentional free timeout. And it does not deter a player from receiving medical help if they seriously need it like sitting out a quarter or a 15 yd personal foul would.

Any rules stating a player must sit out X number of plays / quarter would inevitably lead to people trying to play through an injury and confusion / contesting if someone didn't wait the correct allotted amount.

I think this is a good suggestion.

The only way to really confirm an injury or not would be to have a third party doctor diagnose the injury or not.

Third party being the key word knowing what Ole Miss doctors would do for the Southern Cause.

OLJWales
02-01-2022, 08:08 AM
Not sure I'm down with instant replay on injuries. That just sounds jackadoshes.

Jack Lambert
02-01-2022, 09:00 AM

Defense is not given time replace guys if the offense does not substitute. That's why they do it. They can substitute and get the clock stopped. So the 3rd stingers are not on the field at the time they need to do it.

Lord McBuckethead
02-01-2022, 09:12 AM

They don't have to say if a player is hurt or not. Just that if a player goes down, they have to stay out for the rest of the possession regardless. Simple. Easy. The players themselves declare themselves injured when they flop.
This will begin a strategy of placing a scab into the game just to flop. Will be hard to do, because teams do this because the offense is in rhythm and not giving the defense time to substitute.

The other option would be, and it would ruin the game, to give the defense time to sub ever single play. Maybe 15 seconds without the play and game clock running. It would give offenses too much time to communicate between plays and would F with the entire way the game is played.

Bama_Dawg
02-01-2022, 11:45 AM

Yep, exactly!

Westdawg
02-01-2022, 01:15 PM
Defense is not given time replace guys if the offense does not substitute. That's why they do it. They can substitute and get the clock stopped. So the 3rd stingers are not on the field at the time they need to do it.

that?s ONE REASON. I can tell you that it doesn?t matter if it was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down?.if it can get an offense out of rhythm, can allow for a breather for the starters, can give time to sub players, or can provide time for the DC/staff to confer and make an adjustment - then they will do it?.and nobody does it better than OM did this past season

RezDog7
02-01-2022, 02:35 PM
Matt Wyatt is giving OM hell about it right now without actually saying OM.

BiscuitEater
02-01-2022, 05:23 PM
We may get a Lane rule after all the BS last season.

Easy fix. Make offensive player 'with injury' (stopped clock to get attended to) sit out until they no longer have the ball! Same for defensive player .. sit out till they get ball back!

RocketDawg
02-01-2022, 07:09 PM
Best solution - fine the head coach. He tells them to do it, so he's the only one who can stop it.

coachnorm
02-01-2022, 10:16 PM
Best solution - fine the head coach. He tells them to do it, so he's the only one who can stop it.

The boosters will cover the fine so that will not deter that conduct. Look at Europe and how it deals with these types of issues in soccer and you will find out that post game reviews occur and sanctions can occur days after adjudication. Simply review the replay in quality definition and deem the offender guilty and disqualify him for a half of the following FBS game.

Leroy Jenkins
02-02-2022, 05:37 PM
If you are "injured" to the point you collapse on the field I can in good conscience say that you need to sit for a period of time sufficient to evaluate that condition. If that is X number of minutes, or a series, great. You know, since we are all about safety and stuff.

redstickdawg
02-02-2022, 07:37 PM
One thing that needs to be included in this new rule is that there is only one substitution allowed, for the injured player not the entire defense. Also no meeting with the coaches as if it were a called timeout. Players stay within the hash marks and only medical and training staff allowed to attend to the player.

Lord McBuckethead
02-03-2022, 09:56 AM
One thing that needs to be included in this new rule is that there is only one substitution allowed, for the injured player not the entire defense. Also no meeting with the coaches as if it were a called timeout. Players stay within the hash marks and only medical and training staff allowed to attend to the player.

Agreed.
Here is the rule as I would implement it.

If a player goes down and requires a stoppage of play, that injured player is required to sit out for the remainder of the possession. The team responsible for the player, is not allowed to leave the hash marks, have communication with the coaching staff, either directly or through headsets. The only player allowed to be exchanged during that stoppage of play, for the injured player's team, is the injured player themselves. A called timeout would allow the injured players team to confer and substitute as they see fit for the following play.

If multiple players hit the ground with an injury, and some then get back up once they notice their teammate has gone down, every player that appeared injured is required to be out until the next change of possession. If the sideline is clearly identified at directing players to go down to stop the play, the sideline shall be flagged with a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and loss of a timeout.

Optional rule to get back to the spirit of the game::: With this, outside of 4 minutes left in the half or game, the offense cannot snap the ball with more than 20 seconds on the play clock allowing the defense to substitute as needed between plays.

Lord McBuckethead
02-03-2022, 09:58 AM
I say this, because the defense deserves the option on every play to substitute whomever they want, just like the offense. I am not sure who the hell decided that the offense is the only side that gets the opportunity to substitute at will.