PDA

View Full Version : Drew Hollingshead- WR Coach

Fader21
01-31-2022, 02:57 PM
Is being promoted from Offensive Quality Control to Inside WR Coach

yjnkdawg
01-31-2022, 03:32 PM
I trust CML in hiring who he feels is the best fit for a position . Some bitch about who he hires and he (not somebody on a message board) is responsible for winning football games at MSU, so let him hire who he wants to, and if he hires somebody who doesn't work out then it's on him. I think Coach Hollingshead may surprise or maybe shock some on the recruiting trail, but we shall see.

Hot Rock
01-31-2022, 04:33 PM
Drew is from Texas. Do not underestimate Texas as a fertile recruiting ground for WR's and DB positions. That's what they do out in Texas HS is air it out. One could say we are better off with a guy that has been coaching in the Air Raid for 6 years and is from Texas than one that has never coached in the Air Raid and is from Mississippi. One recruits better in one state than the other but the Texas guy should still be able to recruit MS since this is "OUR" State school, but would the MS guy be able to recruit Texas?

One either trusts Leach to run the program and hire who he likes or you don't. I say it's his program, I will back whoever he hires until he is no longer our coach.

parabrave
01-31-2022, 04:42 PM
Texas does have Speed, just no Linemen or Defense.

Jack Lambert
01-31-2022, 05:13 PM
Maybe Leach and Bumphis did not jell. You have to have chemistry in the coaches office.

Hot Rock
01-31-2022, 05:51 PM
Texas does have Speed, just no Linemen or Defense.

Take a look at the shear numbers of former Texas high school players that are now in the NFL. You will be shocked at how many are there, including Lineman and Defensive players.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=USA&state=TX

BuckyIsAB****
01-31-2022, 06:03 PM
This was known and he is going to be fine. He is a good dude. Knows his stuff. Some of the other shuffles are interesting, I think that is the real story

Dawgfan77
01-31-2022, 09:30 PM
Washington must really want to learn air raid. From secondary to RB...makes no sense

HoopsDawg
01-31-2022, 09:34 PM
I trust CML in hiring who he feels is the best fit for a position . Some bitch about who he hires and he (not somebody on a message board) is responsible for winning football games at MSU, so let him hire who he wants to, and if he hires somebody who doesn't work out then it's on him. I think Coach Hollingshead may surprise or maybe shock some on the recruiting trail, but we shall see.

Ahh, my favorite message board trope. Trust the coaches. **

Coach34
01-31-2022, 09:45 PM
Maybe Leach and Bumphis did not jell.

It's my understanding Bump did not want to return to become the asst WR's coach- which is basically what the "inside WR" job is.

thf24
01-31-2022, 10:19 PM
It's my understanding Bump did not want to return to become the asst WR's coach- which is basically what the "inside WR" job is.

I get not wanting to coach RB's as was reported elsewhere, but surely he didn't think he was going to walk right in and replace Spurrier, did he?

Coach34
01-31-2022, 10:50 PM
I get not wanting to coach RB's as was reported elsewhere, but surely he didn't think he was going to walk right in and replace Spurrier, did he?

To quote David Spade- "He kindaaaaaaaaa did"....and when that wasnt an option- he said no thanks. I'll stay here

SailingDawg
02-01-2022, 01:23 AM
Wait, where?s Spurrier?

Todd4State
02-01-2022, 01:56 AM
To quote David Spade- "He kindaaaaaaaaa did"....and when that wasnt an option- he said no thanks. I'll stay here

That seems like an unrealistic expectation given what job appeared to be open.

Todd4State
02-01-2022, 02:17 AM
Washington to running backs is......interesting. Makes me wonder if Leach and/or Arnett were not impressed with his coaching at safety. There were rumors about Washington being given an off the field position as well when Bumphis was a potential candidate. Even if he can't coach running backs Mele is still on staff.

Spurrier deserves the passing game coordinator title. He's our best assistant IMO. I think he's a future head coach somewhere.

Hollinghead is not a surprise. Most wanted Bumphis and I get why. I wanted Jacob Peeler. But I think Hollingshead will be fine.

Mason Miller deserves his title too. He has done a good job rebuilding out line.

Phelps has been good.

Brock is a good recruiter and I think he is good linebackers coach.

McBath I wish would be a little bit better at recruiting. Would love to have Walley and Rogers on the team. He did close on some good transfers though and he is a good coach.

I like Arnett coaching safeties. Hughes can help him out. I think Arnett realizes that Brock is a strong assistant as far as coaching linebackers.

We need Tony Hughes. One of the all time best at recruiting in Mississippi.

Mele is interesting because he coached special teams under Leach before and was then replaced by Brock.

If I were in Leach's shoes given the restructuring of the staff I would have played it like this:

1. Move Washington off the field or let him go.

2. Throw a ton of money at Derrick Nix at Ole Miss and either poach him from them or cause them to spend a lot of their resources keeping him. Let him coach RB's if I was successful in getting him.

3. Keep Mele where he is and go out and hire an elite special teams coach like Grant Cain or Matthew Poweledge and a kicking coach like we had with Boniol.

https://jmusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/grant-cain/2947

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matthew-powledge/1558

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2022, 08:04 AM

Bump would've taken the IWR job if offered.

KentuckyDawg13
02-01-2022, 08:57 AM
"Come to MSU, learn on the job..."

NWADAWG
02-01-2022, 09:57 AM
"Come to MSU, learn on the job..."

I always assumed it was more, "Come to MSU, learn exactly the way Leach wants you to learn on the job..."

It seems from the outside looking in that Leach would rather take an unproven coach and teach him to be exactly what he wants him to be than to just hire a proven coach and let them do their job.

1bigdawg
02-01-2022, 10:13 AM
Bump would've taken the IWR job if offered.

Would being RB coach helped Bump's resume' for a future OC or HC job?

StarkVegasSteve
02-01-2022, 10:39 AM
I always assumed it was more, "Come to MSU, learn exactly the way Leach wants you to learn on the job..."

It seems from the outside looking in that Leach would rather take an unproven coach and teach him to be exactly what he wants him to be than to just hire a proven coach and let them do their job.

That is exactly it. It is why you see all these Air Raid HCs(Dana, Lincoln, Dykes, etc) really only hire guys with a good knowledge of the offense. Leach has his way of doing things and he is not going to change to appease an asst. coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2022, 10:42 AM
Would being RB coach helped Bump's resume' for a future OC or HC job?

Nope

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2022, 10:57 AM
That is exactly it. It is why you see all these Air Raid HCs(Dana, Lincoln, Dykes, etc) really only hire guys with a good knowledge of the offense. Leach has his way of doing things and he is not going to change to appease an asst. coach.

2013 - David Yost IWR Washington St - No previous experience in the Air Raid
2016 - Jamarcus Shephard IWR Washington St - No previous experience in the Air Raid
2017 - Derek Sage OWR Washington St - No previous experience in the Air Raid

I have no problem with Leach hiring Hollingshead from the GA/Analyst spot. He did the same with Lincoln Riley & Graham Harrell. What I don't like is this narrative that this offense is so difficult to learn or coach. He's hired several guys just at Washington St who had no experience in the AR. Bump may not have been his choice but it's not because he couldn't coach the AR or he only hires AR guys. That's false.

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Nope

But it wouldn't hurt either. It's not uncommon for coaches to move around positions as their career advances. Just look at Tony Hughes & Eric Mele. They've coached both sides of the ball.
I've got a friend that is a current D1 analyst whose been at it since 1981. He has coached every defensive unit and been a DC and HC. He was a QB in high school, and TE/OL in college. Never played a down on defense.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2022, 11:30 AM
But it wouldn't hurt either. It's not uncommon for coaches to move around positions as their career advances. Just look at Tony Hughes & Eric Mele. They've coached both sides of the ball.
I've got a friend that is a current D1 analyst whose been at it since 1981. He has coached every defensive unit and been a DC and HC. He was a QB in high school, and TE/OL in college. Never played a down on defense.

Bump has been coaching less than 7 years & he's already a P5 WR Coach. He's on a fast track in the coaching profession. He shouldn't have to take a step down & coach a position that's he's unfamiliar with & doesn't want to coach. Prior to getting on at Washington St, Mele was coaching at Wingate. Of course he'd Coach whatever position because he's looking for his big break. Hughes took the TE Coach job just to get back in the door at MSU. He was just fired at JSU. The very next year he was back in the Secondary where he's spent pretty much all his career. Again those guys needed to take those positions. Bump didnt.