PDA

View Full Version : College football needs to look at the NFL

Cowbell
01-31-2022, 12:11 PM
And mirror it's playoff format. A 14 or 16 team playoff would be perfect and eliminate conference title games. Viewership is way up for the NFL due to these playoffs and how exciting they've been And it would be the same for college football. Plus it would get these kids more used to playing 4 playoff games Before the draft.

coachnorm
01-31-2022, 09:04 PM
A 14 or 16 team playoff will not work because it would run in competition with the NFL. Simply, the networks will loose money with football saturation. The NFL will take an adversary position to this and move in its best interest which is to dominate all premium advertising time slots.

HoopsDawg
01-31-2022, 09:18 PM
And mirror it's playoff format. A 14 or 16 team playoff would be perfect and eliminate conference title games. Viewership is way up for the NFL due to these playoffs and how exciting they've been And it would be the same for college football. Plus it would get these kids more used to playing 4 playoff games Before the draft.

It should be 16, I don't care what anyone says. But the biggest hurdle is eliminating the conference championship games. I just don't think Sankey would do it. Too much money for the SEC.

The other problem is that if we go to 16 teams, Sankey has hinted at changing the clock rules so games will be fewer plays. I'm not a fan of this at all.

Cowbell
01-31-2022, 10:16 PM
A 14 or 16 team playoff will not work because it would run in competition with the NFL. Simply, the networks will loose money with football saturation. The NFL will take an adversary position to this and move in its best interest which is to dominate all premium advertising time slots.

How would it compete with the NFL? It would be in December abd we are talking 13 games total. And it would be replacing bowl games.

coachnorm
01-31-2022, 11:06 PM
How would it compete with the NFL? It would be in December abd we are talking 13 games total. And it would be replacing bowl games.

With the expansion of the NFL season and playoffs there are going to be additional premium time slots used for the NFL. The major bowl games are played in the New Years Day proximate time periods. Now there is an expansion for college football? The expansions will conflict and the NFL will prevail. This means college football will be relegated to less valuable ad time slots? If college football playoffs have to be played in bad time slots, the playoffs will be devalued and less viable. There is also a saturation point for football and the NFL is king.

Remember, a viewer who watches a college football game on DVR is useless for commercial television and no benefit to the networks because no commercials are watched.

Quaoarsking
02-01-2022, 01:39 AM
I have gotten to the point where I support abolishing the bowls and taking 24 teams to the playoffs. However, they should play it during December, starting the next week after the regular season ends (no more meaningless conference championship games) so that it can finish on New Year's Day.

Maroonthirteen
02-01-2022, 06:41 AM

College and pro football seasons run concurrently for September through November and partly in December. NFL playoffs begin in January. College footballs biggest bowl games are in January. It would not be an issue.

Maroonthirteen
02-01-2022, 07:12 AM
FBS needs to look at FCS. A playoff works in FCS. It will work in FBS.

24 team playoff. Top 8 seeds get a round 1 bye. ​

If your team doesn't make the playoff, your team is done.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-01-2022, 09:04 AM
A larger playoff is not going to change the problem with college football which is competition. The NFL games have been exciting because of the built in system that promotes parity in the NFL. If 2 NFL teams got 15 first round picks a piece, these games would not be exciting in the least. Adding 3 more weeks to college football would just add more incredibly uncompetitive games with that same ultimate result in the end. College football has really started to suck in the last 10 years.

Quaoarsking
02-01-2022, 10:45 AM
A larger playoff is not going to change the problem with college football which is competition. The NFL games have been exciting because of the built in system that promotes parity in the NFL. If 2 NFL teams got 15 first round picks a piece, these games would not be exciting in the least. Adding 3 more weeks to college football would just add more incredibly uncompetitive games with that same ultimate result in the end. College football has really started to suck in the last 10 years.

I think you'd get a lot of good competitive matchups in a 24 team system, and the hope is that more teams with a path to a championship spreads out the talent better.

https://i.imgur.com/M8R4b3w.png

OLJWales
02-01-2022, 11:06 AM
I prefer keeping Do or Die Regular Season Natty games intact which makes college football the most unique and exciting sport. Let 1-4 Host 5-8 to start then finish out at neutral bowl game sites.

dparker
02-01-2022, 12:19 PM

THIS!!!!!

HoopsDawg
02-01-2022, 12:43 PM

Recruits may be willing to attend other schools if they see a route to the playoffs.