PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage number 2 for MSU baseball

Todd4State
01-30-2022, 10:27 PM
Cade Smith was as advertised. Rotation looking like Sims, Walling, and Cade after this weekend. Still early though.

Fristoe pitched well but his defense let him down. I'm thinking he's the midweek guy- maybe play the role that Harding played for us last year where he was a midweek starter and possible long relief guy on the weekend.

Matt Corder may be working his way into the outfield conversation. Or at worst a top reserve role.

Kam James is still at third for now. He probably will stay there as that is what his pro future probably will be.

RJ Yeager had a big day at the plate as did freshman Aaron Downs.

Von Seibert has been solid at the plate. Drew Talley may be a surprise bullpen arm for us.

Brandon Smith was solid- no hits but did walk a couple of guys. Had 1 K. Most importantly no runs.

Brayland Skinner and Jess Davis are both competing at about the same rate. I would give Skinner a slight nod going into the week but not by much. Both will get an opportunity to play.

Preston Johnson had a rough day with his command. Not too worried about him though.

Jack Walker had a rough day today.

magrooder
01-31-2022, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the updates. I can't wait for the season to get started.

AlSwearengen
01-31-2022, 07:51 AM
Thanks Todd. Disappointing to hear about Walker. Hopefully just an off day with him.

KOdawg1
01-31-2022, 08:48 AM
Fri- Sims
Sat- Walling
Sun- Smith/Fristoe

Midweek- Fristoe/Smith

Long reliever- Preston Johnson, Brandon Smith

Set-up guy- Parker Stinnett

Closer- KC Hunt

Obviously, it won't play out just like that. I think Walling probably starts out in the bullpen, but I don't see how you keep him there if he continues to pump 98 while locating it. Another guy that we seem to forget is Mikey Tepper. He didn't pitch this weekend I don't think, so hopefully nothing is wrong, but he's got good stuff as well. He could be a middle inning reliever.

Johnson85
01-31-2022, 10:06 AM
Cade Smith was as advertised. Rotation looking like Sims, Walling, and Cade after this weekend. Still early though.

Fristoe pitched well but his defense let him down. I'm thinking he's the midweek guy- maybe play the role that Harding played for us last year where he was a midweek starter and possible long relief guy on the weekend.

Matt Corder may be working his way into the outfield conversation. Or at worst a top reserve role.

Kam James is still at third for now. He probably will stay there as that is what his pro future probably will be.

RJ Yeager had a big day at the plate as did freshman Aaron Downs.

Von Seibert has been solid at the plate. Drew Talley may be a surprise bullpen arm for us.

Brandon Smith was solid- no hits but did walk a couple of guys. Had 1 K. Most importantly no runs.

Brayland Skinner and Jess Davis are both competing at about the same rate. I would give Skinner a slight nod going into the week but not by much. Both will get an opportunity to play.

Preston Johnson had a rough day with his command. Not too worried about him though.

Jack Walker had a rough day today.

Remind me the story on Walling? Did he get hurt at OSU? Or did he just not get playing time? Strange to me that he would go from being a non-factor at OSU through his sophomore year, spend a season at a lower level, and then be ready to take over a saturday starting role for us. Of course, baseball is weird like that, especially with pitchers, but still surprising. Be great if he can start though because having Preston Johnson in the bullpen for middle relief is a pretty big luxury.

GoDawgz
01-31-2022, 01:05 PM
Any news or updates on how Kellum Clark is doing? I didnt see his name mentioned anywhere.

KOdawg1
01-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Any news or updates on how Kellum Clark is doing? I didnt see his name mentioned anywhere.

In 2 scrimmages, he's 0-7 with 5 Ks.

He'll be fine, but it may take him time. We've got to remember, he didn't have that many at-bats last year to get acclimated to college pitching. He's still essentially a freshman.

Choctaw Dawg
01-31-2022, 01:21 PM

0-7 with 5 K's this weekend. Since the Cape Cod league he hasn't particularly hit well

R2Dawg
01-31-2022, 01:42 PM
Fri- Sims
Sat- Walling
Sun- Smith/Fristoe

Midweek- Fristoe/Smith

Long reliever- Preston Johnson, Brandon Smith

Set-up guy- Parker Stinnett

Closer- KC Hunt

Obviously, it won't play out just like that. I think Walling probably starts out in the bullpen, but I don't see how you keep him there if he continues to pump 98 while locating it. Another guy that we seem to forget is Mikey Tepper. He didn't pitch this weekend I don't think, so hopefully nothing is wrong, but he's got good stuff as well. He could be a middle inning reliever.

Show me a better pitching staff than that? Get some solid hitting which I think we have and good D, we're back in Omaha.

Lord McBuckethead
01-31-2022, 02:43 PM

He'll be fine, but it may take him time. We've got to remember, he didn't have that many at-bats last year to get acclimated to college pitching. He's still essentially a freshman.

Well that is BS. We don't need to handicap someone. Get in there and get it done, Kellum. You the man.

KOdawg1
01-31-2022, 03:05 PM
Well that is BS. We don't need to handicap someone. Get in there and get it done, Kellum. You the man.

I'm not "handicapping" him.

Just saying, due to him being sick last year, he didn't get a full season to progress. He'll be fine though.

Cowbell
01-31-2022, 03:08 PM
I'm not "handicapping" him.

Just saying, due to him being sick last year, he didn't get a full season to progress. He'll be fine though.

Yeah it wouldn't be Mississippi state baseball without somebody starting the year in a major slump.

KOdawg1
01-31-2022, 03:11 PM
Yeah it wouldn't be Mississippi state baseball without somebody starting the year in a major slump.

Well to be fair, he may come out and light the world on fire. 2 scrimmages mean nothing.

Gonna be honest though, I'm going to miss Rowdey Jordan's annual month and a half slump. Because he always came out of it and was hot when it mattered the most.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-31-2022, 03:36 PM
Well if a guy is 0 for 7 through 2 scrimmages he clearly can’t play at this level. Why hasn’t Lemonis cut him yet?

KOdawg1
01-31-2022, 03:51 PM
Well if a guy is 0 for 7 through 2 scrimmages he clearly can’t play at this level. Why hasn’t Lemonis cut him yet?

Politics*

Cowbell
01-31-2022, 05:15 PM
Well to be fair, he may come out and light the world on fire. 2 scrimmages mean nothing.

Gonna be honest though, I'm going to miss Rowdey Jordan's annual month and a half slump. Because he always came out of it and was hot when it mattered the most.

I'm just stating that it's a given someone will be in a slump to start the season - every season someone is. We just can't get to to point of making up nicknames

State82
01-31-2022, 05:18 PM

Plus, look at who he is facing in these scrimmages.

R2Dawg
01-31-2022, 07:00 PM

Yeah and it has ended pretty well when they do too. Nothing to see here moving on. Anyone think, it could be some nasty pitching?

GoDawgz
02-01-2022, 11:48 AM
Im sure it has a lot to do with pitching, hopefully he can turn it around quickly. He is a natural hitter with a smooth swing.

State82
02-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Im sure it has a lot to do with pitching, hopefully he can turn it around quickly. He is a natural hitter with a smooth swing.

Kyle Peterson said in an interview right after the CWS that Clark has one of the sweeter swings he has seen at this level and one that young kids should be emulating. That is pretty high praise.

Todd4State
02-01-2022, 01:54 PM
Kellum Clark will be fine. He may be an All-SEC player.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2022, 02:10 PM

Yeah he's already proved what he can do against elite pitching and in the highest leverage situations

FISHDAWG
02-01-2022, 02:16 PM
Well if a guy is 0 for 7 through 2 scrimmages he clearly can?t play at this level. Why hasn?t Lemonis cut him yet?

Tanner Leggett didn't have a great BA yet he still hit the walkoff that sent us to the finals .... it's a little early yet

shoeless joe
02-01-2022, 02:28 PM
Kyle Peterson said in an interview right after the CWS that Clark has one of the sweeter swings he has seen at this level and one that young kids should be emulating. That is pretty high praise.

Quiet hands and swings from the ground up, which Petersen is correct about it being something to strive for. I would imagine his weakness this yr will be similar to last but I expect him to do well

tcdog70
02-01-2022, 02:37 PM
having to face our pitching is no easy deal. if you can hit MSU pitching you must be pretty dang skippy

Commercecomet24
02-01-2022, 02:41 PM
having to face our pitching is no easy deal. if you can hit MSU pitching you must be pretty dang skippy

This. Our hitters are probably more than ready not to have to hit against our staff lol

Coach34
02-01-2022, 02:47 PM
He's going to hit.

He faced one of the top pitching staffs in the country this past weekend. Even great hitters have bad weekends.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2022, 02:50 PM
He's going to hit.

He faced one of the top pitching staffs in the country this past weekend. Even great hitters have bad weekends.

This. We have arguable the best staff in the country, if it's not the best it don't take long to call roll.

KOdawg1
02-01-2022, 02:54 PM
Guys, I don't think anyone is saying he won't hit. He's going to be fine.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2022, 05:42 PM
Tanner Leggett didn't have a great BA yet he still hit the walkoff that sent us to the finals .... it's a little early yet

That was my point. I was being sarcastic about Kellum. In baseball certainly going 0 for 7 is meaningless.

smootness
02-01-2022, 05:43 PM
His Cape Cod numbers are more of a cause for concern than these scrimmages, but I still expect him to be fine.

FISHDAWG
02-01-2022, 07:45 PM
That was my point. I was being sarcastic about Kellum. In baseball certainly going 0 for 7 is meaningless.

Gotcha... then we're thinking the same

Apoplectic
02-01-2022, 11:50 PM
He's going to hit.

I?m guessing he didn?t get any fast balls

GoDawgz
02-02-2022, 12:58 PM
Yep, he will be fine.
I was asking because I hadn't seen his name mentioned and I know that there is high expectations for him this year.
Excited to get the season started!

Homedawg
02-02-2022, 01:06 PM

I think he's going to hit for power but gonna K a bunch. Not sure how high of an average he will hit for. Just have to see what kind of jump he makes, he will at some point for sure.