PDA

View Full Version : Is it time? Time for MSU fans to treat basketball

CaptainObvious
01-30-2022, 10:13 AM
As a Hobby sports for following between Football and Baseball and not get our hopes up at all?

From the looks of attendance and the AD?s attitude toward it, I think most fans already have.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2022, 10:41 AM
No. A good young coaching hire and moving the students courtside would make a world of difference.

msstate7
01-30-2022, 10:48 AM
No. A good young coaching hire and moving the students courtside would make a world of difference.

I hope so. I hope our fans don't hold the new coach to the same standards as howland. Buzz Williams was by any measure a homerun hire. Buzz had them playing great this year, and then he had a major hiccup to South Carolina at home yesterday. This would be an excuse for our fans to not show up anymore.

ETA... hell, look at the women's program. They got immense support when they were top flight, but as soon as they lost that status, study hall games. Our fans aren't coming back for anything less than greatness imo, and I don't see us getting there no matter who the coach is

ETAx2... and I really understand not attending. I live 1.5 hours away, and I go to games when I can, but it's a hassle. Tv makes staying home too convenient

Maroonthirteen
01-30-2022, 10:56 AM
I was about to write about fan attendance in the 80s and 90s. But I realized there was another 20 years of seasons after to draw conclusions. Damn I'm old. I remember Ken Harvey boxing Alabama. Hahaha.

Anyways, the GTR has always been a baseball, football and hunting community. Basketball is an after thought as far as the fans go.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2022, 11:31 AM
ETAx2... and I really understand not attending. I live 1.5 hours away, and I go to games when I can, but it's a hassle. Tv makes staying home too convenient
But you have more than enough students and alumni that live within 30 mins of Starkville that could easily create a great environment for college basketball.
1. Hire a good young coach that is willing to sell MSU 365 days a year.
2. Move the students courtside. (Except behind opponents bench per SEC Rules.
3. Move that freaking camera that they use for TV across the Hump to the other side.
4. Spend money on a good Social Media person like we used to have in Derek Cody or Bob Carskadon.

Bothrops
01-30-2022, 12:57 PM
Isn't the Hump renovation due to start at the end of the season?

DownwardDawg
01-30-2022, 02:23 PM
As a Hobby sports for following between Football and Baseball and not get our hopes up at all?

From the looks of attendance and the AD?s attitude toward it, I think most fans already have.

Yes. The National Champions take the mound soon. Then football will be back before you know it.

Activated Alpha
01-30-2022, 02:30 PM
I'm about as interested in our basketball team as I am in our women's hockey team....

gtowndawg
01-30-2022, 02:32 PM
A young, hungry coach makes a big difference. Until then, I'll coast to the offseason just like Howland.

Dawgfan77
01-30-2022, 03:33 PM
Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart. Why are they successful at Davidson and Marquette but nott TX and Bama. Those two would be good hires here

msstate7
01-30-2022, 03:40 PM
Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart. Why are they successful at Davidson and Marquette but nott TX and Bama. Those two would be good hires here

Smart is making over 3 million at Marquette. Truth be known, Marquette is probably a better job than us.

KentuckyDawg13
01-31-2022, 09:07 AM
Then you are part of the problem.

The lack of fan support for MSU basketball will be its Achille's heel until it's resolved. Texas Tech was a perfect example of what a supportive fan base looks like. Their social media support is fantastic as their fans love their team, and post positive messages about their team. None of the bs you see about our basketball team. And they show up for games, even after losing to a nationally ranked team in OT (Kansas), they still supported them. Looked like the Hump from the early 90s.
We ALL should be embarrased as to how MSU appears to (not) support it's basketball team(s). The roster is the most stacked it has been in years, and this is most likely Howland's last year, so why the hell do we not support the team?!? It makes a HUGE difference in the way the team plays. Home games should be auto wins due to the home crowd. Not in Starkville anymore though....

basedog
01-31-2022, 09:19 AM
We are a long way from being a consistent basketball program, can we succeed, maybe. You say I'm negative, but history says, "not so fast my friend". I've seen maybe 3 good runs of Msu basketball, things have changed so much much over the years.

I guess I'm saying, don't get your hopes up, but hopefully we get another run soon! It's a tough job, kind of like Vandy in football, do you believe they will get better? Just saying.

One can only hope and wish it happens again!

DeltaSwamp
01-31-2022, 09:38 AM
Too much money to be made in basketball to ignore it. Got to figure it out

Extendedcab
01-31-2022, 10:09 AM
Then you are part of the problem.

The lack of fan support for MSU basketball will be its Achille's heel until it's resolved. Texas Tech was a perfect example of what a supportive fan base looks like. Their social media support is fantastic as their fans love their team, and post positive messages about their team. None of the bs you see about our basketball team. And they show up for games, even after losing to a nationally ranked team in OT (Kansas), they still supported them. Looked like the Hump from the early 90s.
We ALL should be embarrased as to how MSU appears to (not) support it's basketball team(s). The roster is the most stacked it has been in years, and this is most likely Howland's last year, so why the hell do we not support the team?!? It makes a HUGE difference in the way the team plays. Home games should be auto wins due to the home crowd. Not in Starkville anymore though....

The TT fans showed up because they are ranked number 13 in the country and they were playing a big old bad SEC team. If state were ranked n umber 13 and we were playing a big old bad ACC team, say NC ro Duke, we would have packed the coliseum too!

msstate7
01-31-2022, 10:10 AM
The TT fans showed up because they are ranked number 13 in the country and they were playing a big old bad SEC team. If state were ranked n umber 13 and we were playing a big old bad ACC team, say NC ro Duke, we would have packed the coliseum too!

Did you just compare us to UNC and Duke?

Extendedcab
01-31-2022, 10:12 AM
Did you just compare us to UNC and Duke?

No, not intentionally, pick any ACC team! The ACC is the cream of the crop conference in basketball aren't they?

msstate7
01-31-2022, 10:43 AM
No, not intentionally, pick any ACC team! The ACC is the cream of the crop conference in basketball aren't they?

No. Sec is much better than acc now

StateDawg44
01-31-2022, 03:16 PM

This. Minus the duke comparisons. But point taken.

Either way, the recipe to gain support is to win. Not crap the bed EVERY SINGLE TIME we get a little bit of steam and face a test or an opportunity to turn heads even just a little. It's literally like clockwork and has been for a few years. Hell, give us something to support and cheer for instead of leaving us wondering when they gonna do it to us again.

Does anybody remember "The Jungle" at auburn being such a rowdy environment or hard ticket to get before they went to the final four a few years ago? NO. Not even a blip on the radar. Yes, it's a somewhat small venue but they didn't have the support they have now until they started winning and it's not that much smaller than the Hump.

Why is winning being the cure so hard for some of you to understand? It doesn't matter what sport it is. Win and the support comes.