PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy up 7 on Stands at half on the road.

Coach34
01-27-2022, 09:55 PM
a home loss to Andy Kennedy- whose team is 16-4 currently- would put Stands at 10-10 in Year 6 at WK.

A reminder- Stands is still the only modern coach in WK history to fail to get them to the NCAA Tourney. Their longest drought before Stands has been 6 years since 1960. A miss this year puts the streak at 9 years

Ari Gold
01-27-2022, 09:58 PM
a home loss to Andy Kennedy- whose team is 16-4 currently- would put Stands at 10-10 in Year 6 at WK.

A reminder- Stands is still the only modern coach in WK history to fail to get them to the NCAA Tourney. Their longest drought has been 6 years since 1960. A miss this year puts the streak at 9 years

Hard to argue facts .... and

Hmmmmmm AK to State ???

Quaoarsking
01-27-2022, 09:59 PM
Hmmmmmm AK to State ???

I'd rather rehire Rick Ray.

Coach34
01-27-2022, 10:02 PM

well that's ****ing dumb.

Kennedy is from Louisville, Ms and has been a successful coach. He coached at a shithole in the SEC and did a solid job. Rick Ray failed here and then failed at a mid-major

Ari Gold
01-27-2022, 10:04 PM

AK has had one losing record in his career and it was the last year at OM ( which is still extremely weird how he lost that team )
Career Winning % of .611

And is currently 38-11 at UAB
This post shows MSU basketball ignorance

Pancho
01-27-2022, 10:06 PM
Rick Ray couldn't tote AK's jock. Some folks post some weird stuff.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2022, 10:07 PM
Could do a lot worse than Andy Kennedy. I always thought he was very complimentary of us when he was announcing our games too.

OLJWales
01-27-2022, 10:09 PM
AK has had one losing record in his career and it was the last year at OM ( which is still extremely weird how he lost that team )
Career Winning % of .611

Did the taxi incident happen his last year at OM?

My Bad. That was a tourney year.

Ari Gold
Could do a lot worse than Andy Kennedy. I always thought he was very complimentary of us when he was announcing our games too.

AK would be a solid hire .. but holy shit our fan base would go into complete meltdown...
again basketball ignorance

Cooterpoot
I can't accept a coach that publicly stated his pecker didn't work because of the cabby beat down.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2022, 10:11 PM
AK would be a solid hire .. but holy shit our fan base would go into complete meltdown...

You are correct on all counts.

OLJWales
01-27-2022, 10:12 PM
I can't accept a coach that publicly stated his pecker didn't work because of the cabby beat down.

LMAO. I had forgotten that shit. Rep negated by ....COMMIES!

Pancho
01-27-2022, 10:13 PM
Did the taxi incident happen his last year at OM?

My Bad. That was a tourney year.

It wasn't his last year. I have lost that memory but I think he coached several years after that.

Coach34
01-27-2022, 10:15 PM

His wife/ex-wife said that. Not him

CaptainObvious
01-27-2022, 10:17 PM
Yeah. I kind of chuckle thinking about how many in our fan base would actually be pissed if we hired Rick Pitino or John Calipari.

Ari Gold
01-27-2022, 10:31 PM
We need the Fighting Stands to win..
CUSA is a possible at large AQ stealer with uab and la tech

Tripp McNeely
01-27-2022, 10:31 PM

AK would kill it in Starkville! He'd recruit a LOT better in Starkville..:every coach has, Howland, Stans, Williams...and with AK's ability to develop players and his X's and O's, it would be a homerun! Plus, he's got enough personality to get fans back in the stands.

MoreCowbell
01-27-2022, 10:32 PM
Love AK, would be on board with hiring him

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 10:33 PM
Hard to argue facts .... and

Hmmmmmm AK to State ???

Are you and C34 a duplicate account?

AK would be a horrendous re-tread of a hire. **** that noise.

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 10:36 PM
Career Winning % of .611

Lol, where is this coming from? Is this some grift to get ED click bait up or something?

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 10:39 PM
Career Winning % of .611

What was his record against the mighty Stans, lol?

Coach34
01-27-2022, 10:46 PM

We hired Rick Ray. What would make AK a bad hire?

Coach34
01-27-2022, 10:47 PM

He coached at a shithole program. How is he doing tonight on the road?

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 10:48 PM
We hired Rick Ray. What would make AK a bad hire?

So Rick Ray is the bar?

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 10:48 PM
He coached at a shithole program. How is he doing tonight on the road?

So Stans at WKU is the bar?

Ari Gold
01-27-2022, 10:54 PM

See this is the problem ....

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 10:55 PM
See this is the problem ....

Sure...because you say so?

Coach34
01-27-2022, 11:09 PM
Well his record got 1 better tonight- on the road

Ari Gold
01-27-2022, 11:10 PM
Well his record got 1 better tonight- on the road

Again facts

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 11:14 PM
Again facts

Lol, sure. 1 game = "Facts"

Cooterpoot
01-27-2022, 11:26 PM
His wife/ex-wife said that. Not him

His wife sued the cab driver. It was testimony. He was involved and complicit. His wife attempted to get them a pay day or put pressure on the driver to drop his suit.
The good news is his sorry ass won't be coaching here ever.

BeardoMSU
01-27-2022, 11:28 PM
His wife sued the cab driver. It was testimony. He was involved and complicit. His wife attempted to get them a pay day or put pressure on the driver to drop his suit.

Indeed. Not to mention the entire embarrassing "international altercation" BS that spawned it all, lol. What a joke.

Reunion Dog
01-28-2022, 02:38 AM
Screw that Winston county Zoot suit wearing Redneck. Saw him get his ass beat down on Fraternity Row one nite. He is at his Alma Mater and ain?t leaving

PGHBulldogBG
01-28-2022, 08:54 AM
When Howland retires, I hope we hiring an up and coming mid major. Oklahoma did it right with Mosier. In a few years when they come to the SEC he will have his team competing with UK, Auburn, and TAMU because Buzz is about to take that program up to the top in another year or two. I don?t want any more retirement home coaches

sleepy dawg
01-28-2022, 09:49 AM
Andy Kennedy is trash. Howland is equal to or better. Kennedy has been coaching a long time now and has made the NCAA tourney twice in his career once as an 11 seed and once as a 12 seed. One of those he made it to round of 32 and once and was 1 and done in the other. When we replace Howland, the goal should be to improve, even if we take a risk on a hire and it backfires. It'd be dumb as shit to hire a guy we know is average at best.

Making the tournament isn't that damn hard. We have been failing hard in basketball for a long time. It's time to take a shot on somebody new, but Andy Kennedy sure as hell isn't a risk. You know exactly what you get with him, and that's pretty much what we get with Howland... mediocrity with a desperate hope of an occasional post season appearance.

BiscuitEater
01-28-2022, 10:33 AM
a home loss to Andy Kennedy

YOU can deny it all you want BUT you are OBSESSED with belittliing Stans! OBSESSED!

Johnson85
01-28-2022, 12:26 PM
Are you and C34 a duplicate account?

AK would be a pretty decent hire. He was pretty successful at Ole Miss considering their lack of support for basketball.

He is definitely different and I don't even know how to describe him. He's Louisiville redneck crossed with euro trash and south jackson. But I actually kind of like him. How I would feel about him being hired would depend on what our other options were at the time, but I would not be upset at all as a baseline reaction.

sleepy dawg
01-28-2022, 02:12 PM
AK would be a pretty decent hire. He was pretty successful at Ole Miss considering their lack of support for basketball.

He is definitely different and I don't even know how to describe him. He's Louisiville redneck crossed with euro trash and south jackson. But I actually kind of like him. How I would feel about him being hired would depend on what our other options were at the time, but I would not be upset at all as a baseline reaction.

He's an NIT level coach. We should strive to be better than that.

Cooterpoot
01-28-2022, 02:23 PM

Exactly. The BS in this thread is crazy. Some people are just eat up with OM. Kennedy is right where he needs to be.

Johnson85
01-28-2022, 02:31 PM

If he is an NIT level coach, that's what we have right now and what we had with Stans for most of his tenure. I'd certainlly like to be better than that, but we could do much worse also. I'd hope we can find a better prospect, but would rather take him than reaching.

MadDawg
01-28-2022, 02:34 PM
When Howland retires, I hope we hiring an up and coming mid major. Oklahoma did it right with Mosier. In a few years when they come to the SEC he will have his team competing with UK, Auburn, and TAMU because Buzz is about to take that program up to the top in another year or two. I don?t want any more retirement home coaches

Whoever we hire, just hope he's not c34's pick. Otherwise we may be seeing posts 10 years later still trying to make himself feel better about it...

sleepy dawg
01-28-2022, 03:11 PM
If he is an NIT level coach, that's what we have right now and what we had with Stans for most of his tenure. I'd certainlly like to be better than that, but we could do much worse also. I'd hope we can find a better prospect, but would rather take him than reaching.

That is about what we have now, but what's the point in hiring that on purpose? Take a shot. I'd rather risk being worse by taking a chance than knowingly hiring mediocrity.

Coach34
01-28-2022, 03:29 PM
AK had the worst program in the SEC winning 20 games per year. No other coach in their history has accomplished that

And he is 39-11 at his current school

BrunswickDawg
01-28-2022, 03:55 PM
AK had the worst program in the SEC winning 20 games per year. No other coach in their history has accomplished that

That's not entirely true. Historically, they are one of the worst. But, since 1997 they've had 8 NCAA appearances (only 2 of which were under AK). 5 of those were in a 6 year period from 97-02 under Rob Evans and Rod Barnes. They've had 15 20 win seasons since '97 as well. In that same period we've only been to the dance 7 times, and had 13 20 win seasons. Kennedy definitely gave them their longest period of decent basketball, but kind of like Richard Williams - Evans and Barnes showed good coaches could win at OM. And yes, I cherry picked the starting date because they were the absolute worst program of the SEC prior to that.

Johnson85
01-28-2022, 03:55 PM
That is about what we have now, but what's the point in hiring that on purpose? Take a shot. I'd rather risk being worse by taking a chance than knowingly hiring mediocrity.

So you'd rather hire somebody with Rick Ray's resume before we hired him than hire Kennedy, who has had a perennial bottom dweller in the SEC consistently winning and now is having success at a CUSA school?

I'd much rather take a shot hoping Kennedy was held back by Ole Miss's lack of commitment and know that at worst, we'll consistently be a bubble team, than take a shot at a mediocre prospect that hasn't had a chance to prove himself one way or another and hope that they won't be another Rick Ray.

SteelCurtain74
01-28-2022, 03:58 PM

If you want to argue his ability as a coach, fine but don't use his record at UAB as some kind of proof. When you play Millsaps, Rhodes, MS Valley, Grambling St. and the like, it's easy to pad the record. What's his signature win at UAB?

Here's their schedule for anyone who wants to see the heavy hitters that AK has beat this year.

https://uabsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

sleepy dawg
01-28-2022, 04:18 PM
So you'd rather hire somebody with Rick Ray's resume before we hired him than hire Kennedy, who has had a perennial bottom dweller in the SEC consistently winning and now is having success at a CUSA school?

I'd much rather take a shot hoping Kennedy was held back by Ole Miss's lack of commitment and know that at worst, we'll consistently be a bubble team, than take a shot at a mediocre prospect that hasn't had a chance to prove himself one way or another and hope that they won't be another Rick Ray.

No. Rick Ray was a shit hire. We can and should do better than that.
Success is relative I guess. His Net ranking is about what ours is. He's not really successful unless you consider being a bubble team success, and it's not.

sleepy dawg
01-28-2022, 04:22 PM
If you want to argue his ability as a coach, fine but don't use his record at UAB as some kind of proof. When you play Millsaps, Rhodes, MS Valley, Grambling St. and the like, it's easy to pad the record. What's his signature win at UAB?

Here's their schedule for anyone who wants to see the heavy hitters that AK has beat this year.

https://uabsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2021-22

Andy is having about the same season we are right now. When we hired Howland, it looked like a good hire. Looking at it now, not so much. He's been okay, but not good enough.
If we could do it all over again, would you want to hire Howland again knowing what you know now? If not, then it'd be pretty stupid to hire Kennedy b/c they're in the same level. You know exactly what you're getting with both and that is perpetual limbo for as long as they're our coach. Best they can do is 11 or 12 seed in the tournament and that will be a rare feat.

SteelCurtain74
01-28-2022, 04:35 PM
Andy is having about the same season we are right now. When we hired Howland, it looked like a good hire. Looking at it now, not so much. He's been okay, but not good enough.
If we could do it all over again, would you want to hire Howland again knowing what you know now? If not, then it'd be pretty stupid to hire Kennedy b/c they're in the same level. You know exactly what you're getting with both and that is perpetual limbo for as long as they're our coach. Best they can do is 11 or 12 seed in the tournament and that will be a rare feat.

I don't want AK.

Coach34
01-28-2022, 04:50 PM
They've had 15 20 win seasons since '97 as well. .

9 of which belong to AK- 6 combined between Evans and Barnes

BrunswickDawg
01-28-2022, 07:51 PM
9 of which belong to AK- 6 combined between Evans and Barnes

And Richard Williams only had 3 compared to Stansbury's 10. Like I said, Barnes/Evans showed you could win at OM, just like Williams showed you could do it at State.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2022, 10:54 AM
Beardo is making solid arguments nobody is directly countering.

The fact he's better than Rick Ray does not mean he'd be a good hire. Ray isn't the bar.

The fact he's doing better at UAB than Stans is at WKU doesn't mean he's a good coach. Stans isn't the bar.

The fact OM has "no basketball support" doesn't mean he'd do better here. Have you seen the Hump? Have you seen our attendance? Have you seen our basketball history? it's ridiculous to imply we've got so much more BB support that he's go from missing the tournament every year at OM to making it more often than not here.

The fact AK is wining at a mid major right now doesn't override the decade of SEC play we can reference. When he had SEC resources vs SEC competition he couldn't get it done. That's all that matters.

The fact is, AK is a good X's and O's coach, but he has PROVEN he's not elite, and it's highly unlikely he'd make the tournament here more than every 3rd year or so. If you want stable, slightly above average, low ceiling basketball... he's your guy. But that's literally what we've been under Howland

I'd rather take the risk on someone who might actually be really good, vs a failed SEC retread of a coach.

Pancho
01-29-2022, 11:00 AM
makin the tourney every 3 years or so.....find that guy now

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-29-2022, 02:47 PM
makin the tourney every 3 years or so.....find that guy now

That's what Howland has going. Make it solidly once, lmiss it closely another year, and the 3rd year of the cycle miss it by a lot. That's what we've set up for going forward

Percho
01-29-2022, 05:59 PM
I like AK. Rick S is a better coach. Think we can hire someone better than both.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 06:15 PM
I like AK. Rick S is a better coach. Think we can hire someone better than both.

Yep.

Quaoarsking
01-29-2022, 06:21 PM

So when evaluating Kennedy it's all about records and "20 win seasons," but when evaluating Stansbury, none of that matters and it's just about whether he could win the conference tournament to get an autobid to the NCAA Tournament?

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 07:12 PM
So when evaluating Kennedy it's all about records and "20 win seasons," but when evaluating Stansbury, none of that matters and it's just about whether he could win the conference tournament to get an autobid to the NCAA Tournament?

Ruh, roh, lol...