PDA

View Full Version : Landon Simms bullpen video

AlSwearengen
01-24-2022, 09:21 PM
Full Count Baseball, @FullCountGA has an overlay of Landon?s 3 pitches on twitter. I?m not sure when the bullpen took place but they put it on twitter 2 hrs ago, so I would imagine that it is a recent bullpen. The video was setup to overlay his pitches and give the viewer an idea of how well he tunnels his pitches. I was mostly interested in seeing his change, which looked to have pretty decent movement, but the nature and angle of the video made it a little hard to know for sure.

I will say this, the way that he is able to tunnel his 3 pitches is impressive and if he has an average change, he should be fine. He should be able to sit at 92/93 with his fastball and get a lot of weak contact b/c of deception if he can command all 3 pitches.

Tater
01-24-2022, 10:30 PM
Sorry we only care about bad news here.

But nah. That overlay was nasty. If that change is consistent then we'll get a steady 6 innings a friday night out of him. I'm with it.

klong-dog
01-24-2022, 10:42 PM
So glad he's added the change to his arsenal. It was a must, imo.

Coach34
01-24-2022, 11:17 PM
If his change is just decent- he'll win at least 12 this Spring/Summer

Todd4State
01-25-2022, 12:27 AM
I think he is going to be pretty dominant as a starter. We kind of got a glimpse in the postseason when he closed out multiple innings some.

Todd4State
01-25-2022, 12:37 AM
If his change is just decent- he'll win at least 12 this Spring/Summer

One thing in our favor as far as that is there are not a ton of high draft prospects at pitcher in the SEC. One of the top ones was Pallette at Arkansas and he is out with Tommy John. Two of the others- Blade Tidwell and Hunter Barco we get in Starkville. And there are rumors of Derek Diamond not being 100% for Ole Miss as their ace.

This is where we have an advantage- we have a deep pitching staff with a lot of pieces. It's not the best staff ever- but it's probably the best in the SEC right now. So, while someone like LSU or Arkansas or even Ole Miss may have the best lineup we should win our share because we have a good offense AND pitching.

TNDawg35
01-25-2022, 06:07 AM
I would ease him into it this spring. No more than 3-4 while it’s cold and gradually ease him up when we get into SEC play. I know Foxhall and Lemonis can manage pitching so I expect something to this nature.

I saw Walling on D1 baseball when they talked about juco transfers. Dude looked good!

confucius say
01-25-2022, 08:14 AM
He showed a straight change late last year. It was ok and he could locate it. My guess is it's gotten better. Looks like it has some arm side run with downward movement.

KOdawg1
01-25-2022, 08:26 AM
Like C34 said, his change doesn't even have to be that good. Just needs to flash it every now and keep LH hitters honest with it.

Dak Holliday
01-25-2022, 09:32 AM
He is so good in relief. Will we be able to build his stamina enough to be a starter that is near the caliber or value that he is coming out of the pen to close down games?

Ari Gold
01-25-2022, 09:39 AM
The mind set and having to pace yourself To get 21 -24 outs instead of 6-9 outs
To me that’s going to be the biggest hurdle early for LS

Coach34
01-25-2022, 09:46 AM
He is so good in relief. Will we be able to build his stamina enough to be a starter that is near the caliber or value that he is coming out of the pen to close down games?

He's always been a SP until last year. He will be fine.

As Ari says- he just has to adjust his mindset to get 21 outs instead of 6-9. Fristoe needs to get his head straight as well because there were times he seemed too amped up out there. Closers can be intense and mad on the mound for short outings- but SP's need that quiet intensity that lasts an hour and a half to two hours.

Saltydog
01-25-2022, 10:25 AM

He's slimmed up quite a bit since last season so I'm guessing they're working hard to build up his stamina........

elitedawgs
01-25-2022, 12:22 PM
https://twitter.com/FullCountGA/status/1485753476391092233

Coach34
01-25-2022, 12:46 PM
Needs to work on some sink with the change. LSU's PC does a great job with developing that with his pitchers

Offshore Dawg
01-25-2022, 08:13 PM
I would ease him into it this spring. No more than 3-4 while it’s cold and gradually ease him up when we get into SEC play. I know Foxhall and Lemonis can manage pitching so I expect something to this nature.

I saw Walling on D1 baseball when they talked about juco transfers. Dude looked good!

You think Lemonis might have this figured out !!

Catfish
01-25-2022, 08:29 PM
Sims will be fine.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2022, 09:15 PM
Landon will succeed as a starter because he's "That Dude". You can see it him, he's got the "IT" factor. Landon is gonna succeed no matter where you put him.

Homedawg
01-25-2022, 10:16 PM

If he can command the zone he'll be fine, walling that is, but until then....

Todd4State
01-25-2022, 11:35 PM
If he can command the zone he'll be fine, walling that is, but until then....

Huge question mark for me too. He has success at Oregon State as a reliever so if starting doesn't work out he may help us in the pen.

Ezsoil
01-26-2022, 12:07 AM
You folks forget he pitched four innings the first game last year....he struck out 11 of 12 Longhorns he faced

The Federalist Engineer
01-26-2022, 12:43 AM
The mind set and having to pace yourself To get 21 -24 outs instead of 6-9 outs
To me that’s going to be the biggest hurdle early for LS

You folks forget he pitched four innings the first game last year....he struck out 11 of 12 Longhorns he faced

Lemonis has explained that LS was a starter all his life, he only closed last year for MSU.

Last season, he ultimately became the closer. In Arlington he was 1st out Middle Relief (Preston Johnson at the end) and Spencer Price closed the Texas game. Same in the Tulane series. Priced closed the first three 1-inning opportunities.