PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Next Year Season in Football.

Jack Lambert
01-23-2022, 07:02 PM
1. Lost best player to the Draft.
2. Lost two other starters to the draft.
3. 14 starters graduated.
4. 17 guys enter the portal.

They will still be pre-season ranked.

Todd4State
01-23-2022, 07:08 PM
Doesn't matter where they are ranked at the beginning of the year.

I'm excited about our team and our potential for next year. Our playmakers are finally coming into their upper class seasons and we have mostly patched up our defense and maybe most importantly added a kicker. Still a couple of holes to patch but we'll be better than we were last year. And I wouldn't be surprised if we make the most improvement relative to where we started.

msstate7
01-23-2022, 07:14 PM
They have had a really good transfer pool. I don't think they should be ranked, but if they get the Georgia qb wr pair, they could be pretty good

Leeshouldveflanked
01-23-2022, 07:14 PM
They have the easiest schedule in the West next year and one of the easiest in the SEC.

HoopsDawg
01-23-2022, 07:25 PM
They have had a really good transfer pool. I don't think they should be ranked, but if they get the Georgia qb wr pair, they could be pretty good

I think they missed on the UGA WR, Burton. He is going to Bama.

Dart and Trigg are still in play though. It's just a matter of how much money they come up with.

msstate7
01-23-2022, 07:27 PM

Dart and Trigg are still in play though. It's just a matter of how much money they come up with.

Good deal on burton. I think lane coulda really used that guy

BrunswickDawg
01-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Good deal on burton. I think lane coulda really used that guy

My UGA friends just now "Burton's such a whore, transferred to 4 different high schools, flips to us from LSU, and now gone to Bama"

Dak Holliday
01-23-2022, 10:40 PM

Biggest issue is if they?re ranked preseason, with as easy of a first half schedule as they?ve managed to be gifted, they can be a ?top 25? team for atleast half a season. That makes recruiting easier and keeps your logo in front of the crowds making people believe you?re better than you are. If they flail the 2nd half, they?ll claim injuries.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-23-2022, 10:43 PM
We would be ranked if we had tried to win the Liberty Bowl.

Todd4State
01-23-2022, 11:06 PM
We would be ranked if we had tried to win the Liberty Bowl.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure we were picked to finish last in 1999 after we won the SEC.

PGHBulldogBG
01-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Ole Miss will go 7-5. Losses to Bama, aTm, LSU and UK. They will win 1 of the 2 against State/Ark.

TNDawg35
01-23-2022, 11:44 PM
Do they even have a D coordinator right now?

Todd4State
01-23-2022, 11:56 PM

I think they promoted from within.

Dak Holliday
01-24-2022, 09:16 AM
I think they promoted from within.

Didn?t they hire Kiffin?s brother for that?

Commercecomet24
01-24-2022, 09:48 AM

They hired Chris Kiffin. Big dropoff from Durkin.

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 09:58 AM
Partridge and Kiffin are now co-DCs. Neither one has called a defense before.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2022, 10:12 AM
Partridge and Kiffin are now co-DCs. Neither one has called a defense before.

Amazing they couldn't find a top notch DC, with all the money and prestige they have up there, lol!

Fader21
01-24-2022, 10:43 AM
I wish they would stop preseason rankings, especially now with transfer portal. I know they won't because of money, sales of magazines, newspapers, # of website clicks for ad revenue.

OLJWales
01-24-2022, 10:44 AM

Have some Rep Jack. Post goes well with Coffee. The "pre-season Rank" part is awesome. LMAO.

Almost Forgot: 17 Ole Miss to Death.

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 11:41 AM
Amazing they couldn't find a top notch DC, with all the money and prestige they have up there, lol!

There were several experienced DCs (maybe not great but experienced) on the market over the last 6 weeks. Durkin dumping them for A&M w/ no viable, experienced replacement seems quite telling.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2022, 11:46 AM
There were several experienced DCs (maybe not great but experienced) on the market over the last 6 weeks. Durkin dumping them for A&M w/ no viable, experienced replacement seems quite telling.

Agreed.

Dak Holliday
01-24-2022, 12:35 PM
What great DCs have just failed at being HC or have baggage? That?s the rack they shop on.

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2022, 01:09 PM
They will live or die through the portal. If they land the kids from USC, they will be better than I want them to be.

They have some solid commits through the portal already. Thankfully, it looks like the LSU WR from MS is staying at LSU. I don't expect them to be a top 15-20 team, but I could easily see them going 7-5 or 8-4. We simply have to handle our business next year in Oxford.

Dak Holliday
01-24-2022, 01:26 PM
They will live or die through the portal. If they land the kids from USC, they will be better than I want them to be.

They have some solid commits through the portal already. Thankfully, it looks like the LSU WR from MS is staying at LSU. I don't expect them to be a top 15-20 team, but I could easily see them going 7-5 or 8-4. We simply have to handle our business next year in Oxford.

That LB they got from Central Michigan was legit in the bowl game vs WSU. I can see him being like that LB they got from Maryland, Campbell, was last year.

HoopsDawg
01-24-2022, 02:12 PM

Kiffin is playing chess. Leach playing checkers. Kiffin just hired a coach from USC. Should help them close the deal with Dart and Trigg. Meanwhile, Leach can't even pull the trigger on a no-brainer hire in Bumphis.

R2Dawg
01-24-2022, 03:23 PM
I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure we were picked to finish last in 1999 after we won the SEC.

If I remember correctly we were picked at or near the bottom 97-2000 after have SECW best 4 year stretch. Media finally got on board in 2001 and we had a collapse. Typical MSU. Cried wolf to media, sucker.

R2Dawg
01-24-2022, 03:24 PM
Kiffin is playing chess. Leach playing checkers. Kiffin just hired a coach from USC. Should help them close the deal with Dart and Trigg. Meanwhile, Leach can't even pull the trigger on a no-brainer hire in Bumphis.

More like Leach playing chess like someone with checker skills.

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2022, 03:25 PM

I'm gonna have to see it work more than one season. Plus, if they don't land the USC kid, they are rolling with Altmeyer. That puts their ceiling at 7 wins. I'll be honest, I didn't think they would do this well in the portal (I wanted the kid from Iowa State), but they also have to put it all together, which will be damn hard to do.

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 03:29 PM

And exactly what is Dart gonna do? Dude, has played in 6 games his entire college career thus far.

Y'all act like Kiffin is gonna get Josh Allen or Mohommes to walk through his door.

It's like some of you have battered wife syndrome and Kiffin is your husband.

HoopsDawg
01-24-2022, 04:26 PM
And exactly what is Dart gonna do? Dude, has played in 6 games his entire college career thus far.

Y'all act like Kiffin is gonna get Josh Allen or Mohommes to walk through his door.

It's like some of you have battered wife syndrome and Kiffin is your husband.

He's a 5 star talent. I watched the USC-WSU game this year. Kid can play.

TheLostDawg
01-24-2022, 04:45 PM

I remember we once got a transfer from California that seemed too good to be true until our second game

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 05:00 PM

Wow. One whole game. Well, shit, I guess he's gonna make Matt Corral look like Mike Henig.

MedDawg
01-24-2022, 05:04 PM

And they have a bookstore!

msstate7
01-24-2022, 05:11 PM
Wow. One whole game. Well, shit, I guess he's gonna make Matt Corral look like Mike Henig.

Well this board said Matt corral sucked after his first egg bowl, so it isn't like we're too good at judging om players

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 05:20 PM
Well this board said Matt corral sucked after his first egg bowl, so it isn't like we're too good at judging om players

Matt Corral did kind of suck. He was a turnover machine. And then he got better. He played more than 6 games to get there too.

C'mon people using ole miss to disguise your Leach hate just looks tacky.

Catfish
01-24-2022, 05:23 PM
Agreed, Rep!

msstate7
01-24-2022, 05:30 PM
Matt Corral did kind of suck. He was a turnover machine. And then he got better. He played more than 6 games to get there too.

C'mon people using ole miss to disguise your Leach hate just looks tacky.

I'm not a huge fan of leach's offense, but I feel much better going forward this offseason than the last. I also think OM will be tough to beat if they add another talented qb bc lane is a hell of an offensive coach.

confucius say
01-24-2022, 07:01 PM
Dart is very talented.
He's not near as mobile as corral though. Not as shifty or quick twitch. He can move a little though. Similar to levis as a runner, but not as big.
Good touch. Can make all the throws. But he has a slower delivery.
Not sure about decision making.
He will be a drop off from senior corral.

And I imagine altmeyer transfers if dart comes in. Rumor is he's not happy about lane going after every qb in the portal.

Pancho
01-24-2022, 07:42 PM
Corral and Altmyer really liked Lebby........

OLJWales
01-24-2022, 08:00 PM
Corral and Altmyer really liked Lebby........

How Much?

Activated Alpha
01-24-2022, 08:19 PM
I don't know about OM and their portal success, but at this point I feel like Lane could create an entire team of portal kids from the School for the deaf and blind and still beat Leach....

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 08:38 PM
How Much?

Corral point blank said the offense being good was all on Lebby. Lebby worked with him and the offense A LOT. Remember when our DC under JoMo started Toughness Tuesdays b/c we were getting to be fragile little bitches? Lebby did something similar with the offense. But, it was more about chemistry and execution. It wasn't Lane's idea. According to Corral good old Freshwater was usually off in Florida and missed quite a few practices.

Dak Holliday
01-24-2022, 09:14 PM
Corral point blank said the offense being good was all on Lebby. Lebby worked with him and the offense A LOT. Remember when our DC under JoMo started Toughness Tuesdays b/c we were getting to be fragile little bitches? Lebby did something similar with the offense. But, it was more about chemistry and execution. It wasn't Lane's idea. According to Corral good old Freshwater was usually off in Florida and missed quite a few practices.

Recognize that OU reporters skewed the questions to paint Lebby as a great OC at the expense of Kiffin. He?s been on several things talking big on both of them. He seems to hold Kiffin in high regard still. You?re smarter than to believe fan writer slop.

TrapGame
01-24-2022, 09:52 PM
Recognize that OU reporters skewed the questions to paint Lebby as a great OC at the expense of Kiffin. He?s been on several things talking big on both of them. He seems to hold Kiffin in high regard still. You?re smarter than to believe fan writer slop.

Matt can still hold Kiffin in high regard but say he wasn't at a lot of offensive workouts. We'll see if Weiss Jr. can get the respect Lebby did.

Todd4State
01-25-2022, 12:49 AM

Why would Lebby vent at Kiffin through a fan reporter?

Todd4State
01-25-2022, 12:52 AM

He was benched for John Rhys Plumlee the year after that Egg Bowl. So, I guess Ole Miss's coaches thought he sucked too.

Now some of those same fans are saying that Will Rogers sucks at the same stage in his career as Corral.

Pancho
01-25-2022, 06:29 AM
Lane acts that way to everybody he crosses paths with. He has been forced to give apologies on multiple occasions by Carter simply due to how he acted or said to a very influential person.

Dak Holliday
01-25-2022, 07:19 AM
Why would Lebby vent at Kiffin through a fan reporter?

Not Lebby. An OU fan site writer asked Corral about Lebby for content to build up Lebby. It appears there are some at OU that still don?t like his Briles connection, so they really pointed the questions to get the answers they were looking for, like ALL fan site writers do.

Dak Holliday
01-25-2022, 07:26 AM
He was benched for John Rhys Plumlee the year after that Egg Bowl. So, I guess Ole Miss's coaches thought he sucked too.

Now some of those same fans are saying that Will Rogers sucks at the same stage in his career as Corral.

Will doesn?t suck. He will do fine. Win some games and will put up big stats, because that?s what all fairly efficient AirRaid QBs do in Leach?s system. He would have to be really bad not to. Now, that being said, he and Corral aren?t the same talent wise, even when compared at the same point in their careers. Will is more mature, but nowhere near as talented.

Todd4State
01-25-2022, 11:42 PM
Will doesn?t suck. He will do fine. Win some games and will put up big stats, because that?s what all fairly efficient AirRaid QBs do in Leach?s system. He would have to be really bad not to. Now, that being said, he and Corral aren?t the same talent wise, even when compared at the same point in their careers. Will is more mature, but nowhere near as talented.

Will being as talented as Corral isn't my point. My point is Will is likely to improve a lot between now and the next year or two.

Dak Holliday
01-26-2022, 04:54 AM
Will being as talented as Corral isn't my point. My point is Will is likely to improve a lot between now and the next year or two.

He may. Typically comes in the form of fine tuning, though, not increased athletic ability at this point. I?ve not ever said Will sucks. He?s fine. He?s reliable enough and smart.

Dawgology
01-26-2022, 02:11 PM

This is what happens when you have a journalism school and place Ole Miss graduates in sports reporting jobs. This doesn't mean the talking heads are Ole Miss fans. This means that one of their research guys, a stat girl, and 2 of the camera operators that they work around everyday are Ole Miss fans and those people chat and talk them up. It's not a conspiracy it's marketing 101 and, yes, Ole Miss does this intentionally and, no, it's not a big conspiracy with the students they help get jobs. You just put people that are supporters or fans of your company in and around influential people or give them a voice and wait for the windfall. This happens at the local, regional, and national level. State is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind in this aspect. This is how you win a NC or go to 12 straight bowl games and get picked dead last every season while a team with majority losing seasons in that same time span gets picked in the top 25 regulary. It's perception guided by pro-Ole Miss influence and mouthpieces. Again...not a conspiracy just marketing.

The interesting thing about this is that it creates a perception of "winning legacy" which isn't real but still becomes reality due to that perception. This gets reflected (typically) in recruiting leading to success with some high profile recruits which then leads to 10 win seasons. I know it's not the way your typical MSU fan or booster thinks but it is often a successful strategy. Not everytime but it does equate to "higher highs".

Jack Lambert
01-26-2022, 02:50 PM

I still think Corral is a cock sucker.

Dak Holliday
01-26-2022, 02:54 PM
This is what happens when you have a journalism school and place Ole Miss graduates in sports reporting jobs. This doesn't mean the talking heads are Ole Miss fans. This means that one of their research guys, a stat girl, and 2 of the camera operators that they work around everyday are Ole Miss fans and those people chat and talk them up. It's not a conspiracy it's marketing 101 and, yes, Ole Miss does this intentionally and, no, it's not a big conspiracy with the students they help get jobs. You just put people that are supporters or fans of your company in and around influential people or give them a voice and wait for the windfall. This happens at the local, regional, and national level. State is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind in this aspect. This is how you win a NC or go to 12 straight bowl games and get picked dead last every season while a team with majority losing seasons in that same time span gets picked in the top 25 regulary. It's perception guided by pro-Ole Miss influence and mouthpieces. Again...not a conspiracy just marketing.

The interesting thing about this is that it creates a perception of "winning legacy" which isn't real but still becomes reality due to that perception. This gets reflected (typically) in recruiting leading to success with some high profile recruits which then leads to 10 win seasons. I know it's not the way your typical MSU fan or booster thinks but it is often a successful strategy. Not everytime but it does equate to "higher highs".

Agree. The fake it til you make it is an actual strategy that does work more often than one would think.

OLJWales
01-26-2022, 03:35 PM

Yep.

Pancho
01-26-2022, 08:08 PM

Not sure if he is but that is what the oxford cougars do for him.

FISHDAWG
01-28-2022, 11:22 AM
Dart is now rumored to be enrolled at OM ..... along with Trigg. ( I have no idea who Trigg is but they sure seem excited about it) ... now all of a sudden they are expecting another big season next year

dawgpound
01-28-2022, 11:25 AM
They expect a big year every year, and somehow convince media they will have one too. I dont see any way they win the egg bowl next year

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2022, 11:26 AM
Dart is now rumored to be enrolled at OM ..... along with Trigg. ( I have no idea who Trigg is but they sure seem excited about it) ... now all of a sudden they are expecting another big season next year

I hope it is just BS. The Trigg kid is a damn good TE. I'm not sold on the QB, he is solid - but Trigg is a really nice TE that kiffin will figure out a way to use.

Dak Holliday
01-28-2022, 12:33 PM
I hope it is just BS. The Trigg kid is a damn good TE. I'm not sold on the QB, he is solid - but Trigg is a really nice TE that kiffin will figure out a way to use.

Steve just said on the Chuck Oliver that one of his sources confirmed Dart, but didn?t mention Trigg.

KOdawg1
01-28-2022, 12:48 PM
Dart is good but he ain't Corral

OLJWales
01-28-2022, 12:51 PM
Doesn't matter cuz State's gonna 17 'em all to death & send them to hell to die.

HoopsDawg
01-29-2022, 08:05 PM

OM has now added 7 4stars in the portal. Dart and Trigg official. And about to add a D-line transfer from Georgia Tech. Man, they are putting on a tranfer portal clinic.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 08:12 PM
Doesn't matter cuz State's gonna 17 'em all to death & send them to hell to die.

If God really cared about punishing OM, he would've insisted Gen. Meade march south after his victory at Gettysburg to scorch/salt the earth in Oxford to ensure they never became more than a hick town North MS.***

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 08:12 PM
OM has now added 7 4stars in the portal. Dart and Trigg official. And about to add a D-line transfer from Georgia Tech. Man, they are putting on a tranfer portal clinic.

Kiffin said from the beginning that he was going to recruit different. He's a problem.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2022, 08:24 PM
Kiffin said from the beginning that he was going to recruit different. He's a problem.

We've added 4 4 stars through the portal and addressed our kicking needs plus we don't have near the holes to plug as they do. They've done well but so have we.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 08:31 PM
We've added 4 4 stars through the portal and addressed our kicking needs plus we don't have near the holes to plug as they do. They've done well but so have we.

No doubt. I still wish they had someone not as competent, lol. I do think his offense translates to a season with more consistency, as opposed to our peaks and valleys. Hopefully next year we see an uptick in the consistency department.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2022, 08:33 PM
No doubt. I still wish they had someone not as competent, lol. I do think his offense translates to a season with more consistency, as opposed to our peaks and valleys. Hopefully next year we see an uptick in the consistency department.

Agreed on all points. Dart is a good qb but he's not near the athlete corral is and Corrals legs one them at least 2 games last year. Be interesting to see what they do losing that element in their offense .

HoopsDawg
01-29-2022, 08:35 PM

3, 4 stars I believe.

OM has signed probably 7 starters.

Bothrops
01-29-2022, 08:38 PM
Dart is good but he ain't Corral

I think he's every bit as good from a talent perspective. They are going to be a problem.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 08:39 PM

This is the key to the portal, too...getting impact guys that can start from day one. It's a totally different animal compared to JUCO, where those guys are playing and practicing against other JUCO guys...with these portal guys from D1 schools...yeah, they might not have been starters (though some are), but they are playing against other D1 players. That distinction really can't be overstated.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2022, 08:43 PM
3, 4 stars I believe.

Yeah it's 3, I had counted Matthews but he's a high 3 star not 4. They lost 14 starters, they lost a ton of players on their front 7(including most all
Their 2 deep)all their leading rushers and multiple coaches. While they've replaced some they have a lot of questions marks. I just know if we'd lost this much we'd be in a meltdown unheard of in the history of mankind
Lol.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 08:47 PM
While they've replaced some they have a lot of questions marks. I just know if we'd lost this much we'd be in a meltdown unheard of in the history of mankind
Lol.

This is definitely true. While Kiffin is building a roster with "potentially" more immediate success....he is also building a roster like a mercenary that wants to get out of town as quickly as possible. He's already succeeded in winning 10 games at OM; I just hope he doesn't do better.

Bothrops
01-29-2022, 08:52 PM
This is the key to the portal, too...getting impact guys that can start from day one. It's a totally different animal compared to JUCO, where those guys are playing and practicing against other JUCO guys...with these portal guys from D1 schools...yeah, they might not have been starters (though some are), but they are playing against other D1 players. That distinction really can't be overstated.

Yep, the portal makes juco less important which has been an MSU stronghold for a long time. We kinda rested through the portal scene after the early signing period, while others gained ground.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2022, 08:53 PM
This is definitely true. While Kiffin is building a roster with "potentially" more immediate success....he is also building a roster like a mercenary that wants to get out of town as quickly as possible. He's already succeeded in winning 10 games at OM; I just hope he doesn't do better.

Building a roster like this is a gamble. It could give you quick success or it could set your roster balance back a couple years.

BeardoMSU
01-29-2022, 09:01 PM
Building a roster like this is a gamble. It could give you quick success or it could set your roster balance back a couple years.

For sure. But now that the portal exists, how willing are HS guys going to be waiting their turn sitting on the bench? Player development via high-3/low-med-4*'s and "diamonds in the rough" was our bread and butter (as well as JUCO, to a lesser extent). We'll absolutely have to adapt to the times.

Commercecomet24
01-29-2022, 09:04 PM
For sure. But now that the portal exists, how willing are HS guys going to be waiting their turn sitting on the bench? Player development via high-3/low-med-4*'s and "diamonds in the rough" was our bread and butter (as well as JUCO, to a lesser extent). We'll absolutely have to adapt to the times.

No doubt about it. Times they are changin'

OLJWales
01-29-2022, 10:09 PM
If God really cared about punishing OM, he would've insisted Gen. Meade march south after his victory at Gettysburg to scorch/salt the earth in Oxford to ensure they never became more than a hick town North MS.***

How the Hell could God have punished OM More than Gettysburg? Were there any male students left the day after?

Coach34
01-29-2022, 10:26 PM
People,

It's open season in college football. Money rules. Money will get players. End of story. College football now has free agency. NCAA violations are a thing of the past.

Welcome to 2022

OLJWales
01-29-2022, 10:29 PM
People,

It's open season in college football. Money rules. Money will get players. End of story. College football now has free agency. NCAA violations are a thing of the past.

Welcome to 2022

Fraid dat maybe right.

Dak Holliday
01-29-2022, 11:03 PM
People,

Welcome to 2022

Kiffin said that not too long ago.

Todd4State
01-30-2022, 12:37 AM
People,

Welcome to 2022

To me, this is a good thing for us. We can now pay players without interference from MSU compliance. Which to me has been our biggest obstacle in the past. Now it's a matter of getting organized which is our disadvantage right now. Hopefully that happens in a few years though.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-30-2022, 07:58 AM
People,

Welcome to 2022
Someone needs to tell Bracky and Cohen.

Dawgfan77
01-30-2022, 09:00 AM
We are going to add 2 to 3 more transfers after spring. We are building a roster and team while OM is taking a huge gamble. Not saying it won't lay off but kinda hard to build a locker room when you are guaranteeing players starting jobs over kids who have been there.
Another thing to point out. OM staff in 21 was much better than what they have now. We will see how that also translates

Darts stats from his pac 12 games this year
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4689114/jaxson-dart

Rogers stats freshman year (also includes 21 stats)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4566196/will-rogers

Dak Holliday
01-30-2022, 09:24 AM
Many of these transfers still have atleast 3 yrs left to play. The one year guys are no different than a grad transfer. 2 yr guy is the same as JuCo, but from a better pool. A draft quality player rarely goes past 3 yrs. I?m not seeing the gamble some are, I guess.