PDA

View Full Version : In case you don't value Mullen's offense enough

FlabLoser
11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Consider what the offense looked like on MSU's best team in the modern era. 1998 vs Arkansas. Hold your breath on every snap in fear of a turnover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMPRILiWhY

One thing they had that we are missing is swagger. The ability to pull games out. They had faults we thankfully don't have. But I'd like to see a return of that swagger.

engie
11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
The 98 team was not one of our better offenses though. The better comparison would be to the 2000 team...

bluelightstar
11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Never mind that we're in the age of offensive explosion; most teams are better offensively than they have been in the past...

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Hank Flick sounds awesome over the PA system.

Madkin was really talented. Good athlete with a hose of an arm

Didn't realize we were already using the M-State logo at midfield in 98

Can't believe a game of that magnitude was on Jefferson Pilot. My how TV contracts have changed.

DawgsBite34
11-20-2013, 10:28 PM
This team was no where near our best offensive team, and you do realize that Arkansas could send the house and play aggressive because they knew we had to throw it on all the long yardage situations. *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* offense with Russell in is pathetic I think the most we have scored on any decent team with him at QB is 17 points. That's pathetic for a 5th year senior

Dawg61
11-20-2013, 10:39 PM
No reason why we can't still use some of those traditional running formations

DawgsBite34
11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
No reason why we can't still use some of those traditional running formations

Because it would make too much sense and they're not ''Spread'' formations.

engie
11-20-2013, 10:49 PM
We were 83rd in total offense in 1998... The difference in offensive numbers in the two eras is eye popping...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/archive/fbs/1998team.pdf

71 teams over 400 yards/game as of today... There were 31 in 1998...

Dawg61
11-20-2013, 10:56 PM
We were 83rd in total offense in 1998... The difference in offensive numbers in the two eras is eye popping...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/archive/fbs/1998team.pdf

71 teams over 400 yards/game as of today... There were 31 in 1998...

What's really amazing about this is those teams had the old clock rules too

FlabLoser
11-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Great points.

engie
11-20-2013, 11:54 PM
I like Mullen's offense compared to the old stuff though. I want to stay with the spread regardless. I think it gives MSU a better chance overall -- but I want enough flexibility to line up in the I and pound it when we need to as well...

Dawg61
11-20-2013, 11:57 PM
I like Mullen's offense compared to the old stuff though. I want to stay with the spread regardless. I think it gives MSU a better chance overall -- but I want enough flexibility to line up in the I and pound it when we need to as well...

This! I'm not saying lose any of the spread just also be able to go to an I formation or a QB under center formation and pound the ****ing ball. Shumpert would have to sit the first half he'd have such a raging boner looking at that formation.

Pollodawg
11-21-2013, 12:04 AM
It'll never beat this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbFypMKns8w

Anytime you get down, just watch this.

engie
11-21-2013, 12:41 AM
No need. Saw it live my first year out of school...

The worst part about that game was the despair of thinking regardless of how horrible it was that we were going to mess up and win it. Against a team that was ranked number 6 at the time...

dawgs
11-21-2013, 12:48 AM
my biggest gripe with the offense is that we are below 100th in pace of play. pick of the damn so we can catch defenses unprepared or tired and break big plays. we spread things out like a fast paced offense, but run it with the speed of a damn 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. that's just an awful combination. time of possession is the most overrated stat in the game these days. only matters when you are grinding out the clock in the last 5-10 min of a game. it's always easier to slow down from a uptempo pace than it is to speed up from a slower tempo.

Political Hack
11-21-2013, 08:19 AM
This team was no where near our best offensive team, and you do realize that Arkansas could send the house and play aggressive because they knew we had to throw it on all the long yardage situations. *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* offense with Russell in is pathetic I think the most we have scored on any decent team with him at QB is 17 points. That's pathetic for a 5th year senior

you're hopeless. he scored more than 17 against a very good team in his worst game ever. try again.

DawgsBite34
11-21-2013, 11:18 AM
you're hopeless. he scored more than 17 against a very good team in his worst game ever. try again.

What start has Russell had that we scored more than 17 points on a decent SEC team or any decent team