PDA

View Full Version : D1 Baseball Rankings (The annual let?s rank OM as high as possible rankings)

TNDawg35
01-18-2022, 12:02 PM
D1 Baseball released their rankings.

2- Arkansas
3- Vandy
4- State
5- Ole Miss
8- LSU
9- Florida
16- UGA
19-TN

I think Arkansas is too high and of course the usual let?s rank Ole Miss as high as possible. Hell do they even return a pitcher at all? If LSU can find pitching, they are gonna be TOUGH?

I?m guessing they have Texas at #1. I only saw the SEC people ranked in the part I saw?

Johnson85
01-18-2022, 12:08 PM
D1 Baseball released their rankings.

2- Arkansas
3- Vandy
4- State
5- Ole Miss
8- LSU
9- Florida
16- UGA
19-TN

I think Arkansas is too high and of course the usual let?s rank Ole Miss as high as possible. Hell do they even return a pitcher at all? If LSU can find pitching, they are gonna be TOUGH?

I?m guessing they have Texas at #1. I only saw the SEC people ranked in the part I saw?

I have no clue what Ole Miss has returning, but they aren't doing Bianco any favors consistently ranking them so highly to start the year. Just pisses off their fan base more when he "underachieves".

BeardoMSU
01-18-2022, 12:14 PM
I have no clue what Ole Miss has returning, but they aren't doing Bianco any favors consistently ranking them so highly to start the year. Just pisses off their fan base more when he "underachieves".

Yep

PGHBulldogBG
01-18-2022, 12:34 PM
Yes Texas seems to be thought as the clear consensus #1 and projected to win the CWS. With what they have returning I don?t disagree with that but I think we should be ranked #2. UGA at 16 seems high. Haven?t they been bad lately? I don?t know what all Ole Miss and Ark have returning and like someone else said if LSU finds pitching they might win the conference

Dak Holliday
01-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Bianco doesn?t seem to have the edge it takes to win big games. He sets the tone for his teams and they perform poorly when he gets tight. OM can?t win big with him because he?s the issue, not their talent.

WPS
01-18-2022, 12:48 PM
I knew Aaron Fitt was extremely high on Arkansas from fall ball but I think #6-10 is a better range preseason than #2.

CadaverDawg
01-18-2022, 01:51 PM
I wish Ole Miss had been ranked #1. Makes the oncoming collapse so much more enjoyable

Commercecomet24
01-18-2022, 01:58 PM
I wish Ole Miss had been ranked #1. Makes the oncoming collapse so much more enjoyable

Yep, it happens every year with them. Lather, rinse, repeat. They start off hot and look like world beaters and then comes the collapse, every year. Most of it is because little mike can't handle a pitching staff and rides his arms early in the season and they have nothing left when they need it.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

Captain Falcon
01-18-2022, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=PGHBulldogBG;1404890UGA at 16 seems high. Haven?t they been bad lately?[/QUOTE]

Georgia was really good from '18-'20. Last year was a transition year for them and they just missed the NCAAT, but they bring back a lot. We open conference play in Athens and that should be a tough series.

Also noticed that our opening weekend opponent Long Beach State was #24. Don't underestimate that series either. They smoked us at their park two years ago.

Tbonewannabe
01-18-2022, 02:27 PM
Yep, it happens every year with them. Lather, rinse, repeat. They start off hot and look like world beaters and then comes the collapse, every year. Most of it is because little mike can't handle a pitching staff and rides his arms early in the season and they have nothing left when they need it.

Arkansas did that with Kopps last year also. The way Lemonis and Foxhall handled the entire staff last year is probably the reason we won the National Title last year. Our guys just had a lot left in the tank at the end of the year especially Sims and Bednar. We also benefitted from letting so many other guys pitch in high pressure situations instead of trotting Sims out 2 or 3 times per weekend in the 9th.

WPS
01-18-2022, 03:01 PM
Arkansas did that with Kopps last year also.

Kopps only gave up 3 runs over 9 innings in that last game vs. NC State, offense was the reason Arkansas lost not really pitching. Kopps pitched in a lot of back-to-back games but overall his total innings pitched were about in line with most starters which is essentially what he was despite his unusual usage.

Commercecomet24
01-18-2022, 03:13 PM
Arkansas did that with Kopps last year also. The way Lemonis and Foxhall handled the entire staff last year is probably the reason we won the National Title last year. Our guys just had a lot left in the tank at the end of the year especially Sims and Bednar. We also benefitted from letting so many other guys pitch in high pressure situations instead of trotting Sims out 2 or 3 times per weekend in the 9th.

Lemonis and Foxhall handled our pitchers perfectly, and as you stated the biggest reason we won it all last year. They played the long game, even to the chagrin of some of our fans wondering why we didn't use Sims more early or why we let this guy throw in a high leverage game. Our pitchers still had plenty in the tank at the end and we got plenty of guys meaningful, high pressure inning, so they were ready for it. Perfect example of the opposite is Kumar Rocker. Dude pile up tons of innings and then got to the post season and he just wasn't the same. Out of gas, velo down and breaking ball with no bite.

Commercecomet24
01-18-2022, 03:15 PM
Kopps only gave up 3 runs over 9 innings in that last game vs. NC State, offense was the reason Arkansas lost not really pitching. Kopps pitched in a lot of back-to-back games but overall his total innings pitched were about in line with most starters which is essentially what he was despite his unusual usage.

Kopps was otherwordly in what he did last year. Its like the dude had a bionic arm or something. He never seemed to get tired. Crazy what he was able to do and a shame the way it ended for him.

KOdawg1
01-18-2022, 03:28 PM
Not saying they're Omaha bound by any stretch, but OM will have one of, if not the best lineup in the country this year. They return their entire lineup minus the fat kid they slobbered over who wasn't that good (Baker I think). Their problems will be on the mound as they lost their 3 best pitchers in Hoglund, Nikhazy, and Broadway. That's 2 elite starters and a very good backend bullpen arm. They'll have to piece it together and be prepared to win some 11-9 type shootouts. But if they figure it out on the mound, they could go far. Will they? Bianca's history says no. He'll run what few good arms they have in the ground during February and March, and then choke away in a super regional. But make no mistake about it, they'll be good.

Johnson85
01-18-2022, 03:54 PM
Not saying they're Omaha bound by any stretch, but OM will have one of, if not the best lineup in the country this year. They return their entire lineup minus the fat kid they slobbered over who wasn't that good (Baker I think). Their problems will be on the mound as they lost their 3 best pitchers in Hoglund, Nikhazy, and Broadway. That's 2 elite starters and a very good backend bullpen arm. They'll have to piece it together and be prepared to win some 11-9 type shootouts. But if they figure it out on the mound, they could go far. Will they? Bianca's history says no. He'll run what few good arms they have in the ground during February and March, and then choke away in a super regional. But make no mistake about it, they'll be good.

Is the fat kid the one that tore his ACL and came back? I thought he pretty much killed it before he got hurt and then was pretty decent playing on a bum knee?

Maybe not having established starters will allow Bianco to go against tendency and actually save arms while he's trying to figure out the best pitchers.

KOdawg1
01-18-2022, 03:56 PM
Is the fat kid the one that tore his ACL and came back? I thought he pretty much killed it before he got hurt and then was pretty decent playing on a bum knee?

Maybe not having established starters will allow Bianco to go against tendency and actually save arms while he's trying to figure out the best pitchers.

No that's Elko. He's back for them. He's like a 5th year senior.

basedog
01-18-2022, 04:28 PM
Not to worry as all this pre ranking stuff means nothing! Some are always ranked too high, some to low, so there will always be disappointments!

I will say this again, I hope all of the celebration stuff is behind and we live up to expectations. We will have every team we face this season attention! What we did last year was about time, so now we know we can do it again, we have the talent, hope we are injury free and have some luck this spring!

HailState!

Tbonewannabe
01-18-2022, 04:34 PM

The thing with Kopps was pitching 8 innings per weekend isn't bad but where the issue is how it is done. If you throw 4 innings on Friday and 4 on Sunday, that is going to wear the pitchers arm down more than just pitching 8 innings on Friday. It is pretty amazing what Kopps did last year. I haven't seen many pitchers basically put a team on their back the way he did. I hope he makes the MLB because he is fun to watch.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 05:53 PM
D1 is a good baseball web site. They do pander to their readers. Ole Miss is always ranked high because they have a lot of fans relatively speaking compared to other schools and they know it gets MSU fans attention as well.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 05:56 PM

They have a lot of veterans for sure. Whether they make it to Omaha or not is completely dependent on how their arms hold up. Their ace is rumored to have arm issues already. The others are transfers and JUCO's. At any rate I doubt they have anyone near Hoglund or Nikahazy's level. The last three years was their year on paper to make it to Omaha. They could be very young in 2023.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 06:01 PM
Georgia was really good from '18-'20. Last year was a transition year for them and they just missed the NCAAT, but they bring back a lot. We open conference play in Athens and that should be a tough series.

Also noticed that our opening weekend opponent Long Beach State was #24. Don't underestimate that series either. They smoked us at their park two years ago.

Georgia is the same program that Florida is in baseball. One of the big four baseball producing states- they should be able to recruit pretty well. They also have very little fan interest and that's probably more than likely due to the Braves than anything else. I will say that they have more fan interest than Florida does.

We were Long Beach State's World Series. They are a good program though- they are always regional caliber at worst and they have multiple CWS appearances. I think we win the series but I agree it will be tough.

Commercecomet24
01-18-2022, 06:03 PM
They have a lot of veterans for sure. Whether they make it to Omaha or not is completely dependent on how their arms hold up. Their ace is rumored to have arm issues already. The others are transfers and JUCO's. At any rate I doubt they have anyone near Hoglund or Nikahazy's level. The last three years was their year on paper to make it to Omaha. They could be very young in 2023.

Have no fear little mike will ride his 3 best arms into the ground just like every year. You're right about the last 3 years.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 06:04 PM

Bianco learned that from Bertman. Apparently that strategy doesn't work as well when your team's offense isn't built on steroids and loaded bats.

Commercecomet24
01-18-2022, 06:05 PM
Bianco learned that from Bertman. Apparently that strategy doesn't work as well when your team's offense isn't built on steroids and loaded bats.

Dead on as always!

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 06:05 PM
Have no fear little mike will ride his 3 best arms into the ground just like every year. You're right about the last 3 years.

Can't have that bad loss to Wright State in February on the resume.' Go throw 120 Diamond.**

Commercecomet24
01-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Can't have that bad loss to Wright State in February on the resume.' Go throw 120 Diamond.**

Yes sir!!! This kind of mismanagement of arms happens at every level. I've seen it to much in showcase, hs, juco and college. It's so bad it's almost criminal.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Yes sir!!! This kind of mismanagement of arms happens at every level. I've seen it to much in showcase, hs, juco and college. It's so bad it's almost criminal.

It's sad because there is zero excuse for it now with what we now know and the training available. The silver lining is surgery has gotten better so there are better outcomes for Tommy John surgery now. Knowing baseball parents I'm surprised I haven't heard of any child abuse claims being brought forth on some baseball coach at the showcase or high school level.

State82
01-18-2022, 07:04 PM

Lemonis/Foxhall have handled that masterfully.

Saltydog
01-18-2022, 07:51 PM
They?re top 10 no doubt! That lineup is going to score a shitload of runs! I wouldn?t put them that high to start with simply because we don?t know what they?ll have on the mound but make no mistakes, they will have one of the top offenses in the country and win a ton of games!

SilentSteel16
01-18-2022, 09:11 PM
LSU will be the team to beat this year. We will be right there with them. Expect Upig to be tough but not like last years squad.

The Federalist Engineer
01-19-2022, 10:22 AM

They have a bunch of 23 and 24 year old hitters. Highlighted by Ecklo (Sp?) and some other cats that MLB did not draft. So they are expected to hit.

They lost Booger and Hogland (Sp?), so I guess the rankings expect someone else to make a big leap and replace their top-2 pitchers from a pitching staff that was not that great outside of Booger and Hogland.

Johnson85
01-19-2022, 10:45 AM
It's sad because there is zero excuse for it now with what we now know and the training available. The silver lining is surgery has gotten better so there are better outcomes for Tommy John surgery now. Knowing baseball parents I'm surprised I haven't heard of any child abuse claims being brought forth on some baseball coach at the showcase or high school level.

This is probably one of those things where two or three rare instances is painted as a trend, but supposedly there are parents that are happy to "get it over with" as far as tommy johns surgery. They see young players come back with more velocity (because they've been doing physical therapy 3 times a week for a year, which of course they could do without the surgery first) so they think better to have it earlier so it doesn't screw up their college career or recruiting, plus they can come back with more velocity.

Turfdawg67
01-19-2022, 03:14 PM

BOOM!

WSOPdawg
01-19-2022, 06:54 PM
LSU will be the team to beat this year. We will be right there with them. Expect Upig to be tough but not like last years squad.

I'm thinking LSU will still be searching for enough quality SEC arms. They have a few, but depth can become an issue as the season unfolds (ask OM, LSU, Arky & Vandy from last year).

I love our depth and think us and Texas will again be among the most balanced teams on the diamond in '22.

ImissCityBagel
01-19-2022, 08:10 PM
I hope Tenner is good again. It makes it more fun when a team in the east cares about baseball (Vandy and Florida don't care).

Todd4State
01-20-2022, 12:43 AM
This is probably one of those things where two or three rare instances is painted as a trend, but supposedly there are parents that are happy to "get it over with" as far as tommy johns surgery. They see young players come back with more velocity (because they've been doing physical therapy 3 times a week for a year, which of course they could do without the surgery first) so they think better to have it earlier so it doesn't screw up their college career or recruiting, plus they can come back with more velocity.

You're absolutely correct about that. I've even heard urban legends of parents wanting their kid to get Tommy John because they think it will increase their velocity. Like it's a boob job or something.

I'm thinking LSU will still be searching for enough quality SEC arms. They have a few, but depth can become an issue as the season unfolds (ask OM, LSU, Arky & Vandy from last year).

I love our depth and think us and Texas will again be among the most balanced teams on the diamond in '22.

LSU is kind of a baseball media darling because they are a historically great program and then they added some of Arizona's best players. I think their pitching will hold them back too.

I hope Tenner is good again. It makes it more fun when a team in the east cares about baseball (Vandy and Florida don't care).

Tennessee will be good as long Vitello is there. And I suspect they are about to begin a stadium renovation soon. I think Vandy cares about baseball more than they do other sports because of the success they have had. They even have their own sidewalk whistler fans who I'm 99% sure didn't go to college there. Their problem is their fans are spread out across the country they aren't likely to show up to a game and they probably participate more on social media than anything else.

Captain Falcon
01-20-2022, 01:38 AM
Georgia is the same program that Florida is in baseball. One of the big four baseball producing states- they should be able to recruit pretty well. They also have very little fan interest and that's probably more than likely due to the Braves than anything else. I will say that they have more fan interest than Florida does.

People forget that Georgia was a national seed in ‘18 and ‘19 and were one of the teams screwed over the most by COVID in ‘20, they were loaded that year. Don’t be shocked if they are squarely in the mix again.

WSOPdawg
01-20-2022, 12:06 PM

Uh-oh, Kendall Rogers reporting Arkansas Friday night SPer Peyton Pallette to miss the season with TJ.

Pre-season #2 already taking a hit to it?s depth.

MoreCowbell
01-20-2022, 01:40 PM
Does the transfer portal apply to college baseball as well?

Jack Lambert
01-20-2022, 02:04 PM

But we have to hear about it until they get into SEC play and the weakness shows.