PDA

View Full Version : here is a question I have about the Dak run

tcdog70
01-18-2022, 09:53 AM
what if after Dak ran 15 yards he threw a lateral out of bounds? Wouldn't the clock stop and the ball be place on the line where the ball went out of bounds?

msstate7
01-18-2022, 10:01 AM
Good question.

Id bet there's some sort of run off for that type of situation, but I'm guessing

thf24
01-18-2022, 10:46 AM
Good question.

Id bet there's some sort of run off for that type of situation, but I'm guessing

There has to be, otherwise you'd see a ton of balls chucked out of bounds from the middle of the field in two minute situations.

Maroonthirteen
01-18-2022, 11:02 AM
Go to the 2:30 mark. My UT in-law and I argued over that weekend about that play. Officials stopped the clock. He said State threw the ball out and the clock should have kept running. I said naw. Heads up fumble out of bounds. Hahahahaa.

https://youtu.be/3OEsiJNqs1s

Leroy Jenkins
01-18-2022, 11:02 AM
I dont know the NFL rule but the NCAA one says:

SECTION 2. Backward Pass and Fumble

During Live Ball

ARTICLE 1. A ball carrier may hand or pass the ball backward at any time,
except to throw the ball intentionally out of bounds to conserve time.

PENALTY—Five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down if by
Team A before team possession changes during a scrimmage
down (A.R. 3-4-3-III) [S35 and S9].

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR21.pdf

Maroonthirteen
01-18-2022, 11:06 AM
I don't remember but we had to have gotten a penalty there. It went from 2nd and 11 to 3rd and 14. Also forward progress was the 22-23 but the ball was kicked from about the 35 (35-7= LOS 28).

chef dixon
01-18-2022, 11:12 AM
Not to hijack this but would have been cool to add an option wrinkle into that play to get it over there if you have to or even break one when everyone comes crashing to the middle of the field. At the end of the day, I'm not sure why that play is getting so much criticism. They still have to score a 30 yard TD on one play. Chances have to be <10% at best on that. There is sooooo much more to criticize on the entire team than that play.