PDA

View Full Version : Question

BB30
01-16-2022, 10:30 AM
Why when the basketball team loses are there 200 threads about how bad howland is etc.

When we finally beat a top 25 team the only thread regarding basketball is the actual game thread? Let us lose though and there are 30 posters ready to end the world

Leroy Jenkins
01-16-2022, 11:43 AM
Why when the basketball team loses are there 200 threads about how bad howland is etc.

When we finally beat a top 25 team the only thread regarding basketball is the actual game thread? Let us lose though and there are 30 posters ready to end the world

Because. Expectations.

msstate7
01-16-2022, 11:46 AM
Because. Expectations.

So most here thought we'd win last night, thus no news?

FriarsPoint
01-16-2022, 11:47 AM
I quit keeping up with it. The loss to Liberty in the tournament did me in.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2022, 11:53 AM
Probably bc everyone is fearful of getting too high from the win, since howland's teams are notorious for immediately letting us all down again right after we start to believe.

That being said, I will be keeping a close eye on the next few games. This 4 game stretch will tell us if we're contenders or pretenders this year. Going to need some serious grit to get through this stretch with a .500 or better record.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-16-2022, 11:54 AM
I watched the the first and last 3-4 minutes of Game was busy watching Happy Days on Pluto Network.

Leroy Jenkins
01-16-2022, 12:24 PM
So most here thought we'd win last night, thus no news?

I'd say it is more about losing games we should win that draws the most emotional responses.

Renardo Sidney
01-16-2022, 12:39 PM
It?s embarrassing that teams with a .500 record have more fan support than us. The team is 12-4 and most posts are about preparing to be disappointed the moment we lose a game

msstate7
01-16-2022, 01:06 PM
It?s embarrassing that teams with a .500 record have more fan support than us. The team is 12-4 and most posts are about preparing to be disappointed the moment we lose a game

^^^

Leeshouldveflanked
01-16-2022, 01:48 PM

If our Athletic Department would put a little effort and some creativity into basketball and football maybe more would show up. Most SEC Schools have worked to improve fan experience and attendance MSU not so much.

Maroonthirteen
01-16-2022, 01:53 PM
One problem with fan support is season tickets sold to businesses that don't use them. Second part is, these tickets aren't showing up available for resell on the secondary market. If a few do show up for sell, they are ridiculously priced.

You can get a seat in the upper level behind the basket easy and cheap. But not anywhere else. Go look at the lower tickets prices for OM game next weekend on stubhub.

sorrydog
01-16-2022, 02:22 PM
Ok, here you go. We have lots of talent. Howland coached are terrible game. We won anyway.

Example: Close game, less than 3 minutes, Bama has no inside presence. We put our 6-10 outside and he bricks a 3 pointer.
We lucky.

BrunswickDawg
01-16-2022, 06:47 PM
If our Athletic Department would put a little effort and some creativity into basketball and football maybe more would show up. Most SEC Schools have worked to improve fan experience and attendance MSU not so much.

What is dumb is that you need a "fan experience". Are you a women? Do you need to be entertained continually? It's a basketball/football game. Be there for the action on the field not the announcer and music and the food, and the kiss cam, and the half court half time shot for tuition, or baby races. You'll be much happier.

R2Dawg
01-16-2022, 06:55 PM
We have too much of our fan base that cries when we win because no one is complaining.

Like a bunch of girls. This site is turning into Gene's page.

KentuckyDawg13
01-17-2022, 11:59 AM
Because misery loves company.
And then they try to justify such loser mentality by defending their actions. Comical.
Our team came to play, the defense and offense rebounding was first rate. Bama is a 3 pt shooting team, so the comeback was expected by anyone that has a minuscule amount of basketball knowledge. Of course, that excludes quite a few here.

Jack Lambert
01-17-2022, 12:05 PM
Football is the same way. Hell during our NC run in baseball there were negative nannys about them. Some State fans are not happy unless they are unhappy. Also I am convince some of them are really bears.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2022, 12:08 PM
Football is the same way. Hell during our NC run in baseball there were negative nannys about them. Some State fans are not happy unless they are unhappy. Also I am convince some of them are really bears.

Lots of "all Lemonis does is sit his fat ass on a bucket" comments during baseball last year.

KOdawg1
01-17-2022, 12:30 PM
We have too much of our fan base that cries when we win because no one is complaining.

Like a bunch of girls. This site is turning into Gene's page.

Quickly

KOdawg1
01-17-2022, 12:31 PM
I will say, this coming Saturday vs. OM should be a big crowd. If Howland can handle business this week, there will be some momentum going in the program.

Johnson85
01-17-2022, 12:39 PM

Because it's a lot easier to talk about all the things teams do shitty than talk about things that went well.

That said, I had fun watching us play Saturday. I made a post in an earlier thread that even though Howlands results are good enough to keep him safely employed (although worse than what we hoped based on his past track record), it's often painful to watch us play and I feel better about Howland the less I watch us play. This year, I watched a good bit of arkansas (which was fun) and a good bit of Ole Miss (which was miserable), and then this past weekend, which was obviously fun. I would start rearranging my schedule to watch basketball again if we looked like we did against Arkansas and Bama regularly.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2022, 12:51 PM
It's a message board. Ours is pretty much like every other fan base's. I always laugh at the "we have the worst fans" and "our board is miserable after a loss" posts. Our fan base is no different than every other fan base...we do not have the worst fans...and yeah, message boards aren't going to be filled with joy after losses.

We root for a team in the toughest conference in all of college sports. It ain't intramurals. If you want more sunshine, Gene should be able to help you out.

Is there more talk today about what the Cowboys did poorly, or what the 49ers did well yesterday? The negative always receives more discussion. In any sport, among any fan base. It's not just some wild coincidence on www.EliteDawgs.com

msstate7
01-17-2022, 12:53 PM
Because it's a lot easier to talk about all the things teams do shitty than talk about things that went well.

That said, I had fun watching us play Saturday. I made a post in an earlier thread that even though Howlands results are good enough to keep him safely employed (although worse than what we hoped based on his past track record), it's often painful to watch us play and I feel better about Howland the less I watch us play. This year, I watched a good bit of arkansas (which was fun) and a good bit of Ole Miss (which was miserable), and then this past weekend, which was obviously fun. I would start rearranging my schedule to watch basketball again if we looked like we did against Arkansas and Bama regularly.

Ark - home
OM - road
Bama - home

In conference games for non-elite teams are really tough to win. Look at auburn at OM Saturday night... auburn is an elite team, and they were tied with OM with 9 mins to go in the game after trailing most of the game

CadaverDawg
01-17-2022, 12:57 PM
Ark - home
OM - road
Bama - home

In conference games for non-elite teams are really tough to win. Look at auburn at OM Saturday night... auburn is an elite team, and they were tied with OM with 9 mins to go in the game after trailing most of the game

I may speak for myself, but it's not always about results to me. Howland coaches an ugly style of play. Yes, winning on the road is tough, so if we played hard, looked well prepared, and just lost by 4-5 points to Ole Miss at their place, tip your cap. But being dominated and looking like feces while doing it is why I believe some get really pissed. You can lose a game and not look like you've never practiced before while doing it.

Johnson85
01-17-2022, 01:27 PM
Ark - home
OM - road
Bama - home

I'm not looking for us to win consistently on the road, just to look like we've generally played basketball together before. I watched the first half of Auburn v Ole Miss and Ole Miss was on fire for that half. Auburn certainly wasn't playing great, but they generally looked fine. We did not look fine when I watched us play against Ole Miss. Those games are going to happen, but in past years it seems like we have had them a lot. HOpefully now that we have had everybody but Tolu together for a while, we won't have many more games like that.

Dak Holliday
01-17-2022, 01:38 PM

I like it when we win- anything, but don?t follow basketball super close, so I typically just read the basketball content without putting much of an opinion out there except that I still blame Cohen for Vic.

Maroonthirteen
01-17-2022, 05:10 PM
My theory on all the noise following the OM basketball game, is that it was OM and they had lost to Samford. Also we lost to the them in football too. Also the talking heads of MSU said all week that it was a winnable game. A must win game for the ncaas. People are frustrated losing to them. I know I am.

Pancho
01-17-2022, 05:41 PM
Cadaver had it correct, we looked like feces. The effort displayed vs Bama is what i expect win or lose. Just look competent.

RougeDawg
01-18-2022, 04:27 PM
Cadaver had it correct, we looked like feces. The effort displayed vs Bama is what i expect win or lose. Just look competent.

This. We looked like a Rec League team against the KlanSharts. It was the definition of a shit show. Letting that dude show 91% and all those 3?s. Something has to change before a player gets that damn many shots.

The Bama effort all season would have us sitting around 15-1 or 14-2 right now. Maybe 16-0. That?s why people are frustrated. The talent is there, it?s just a question of whether or not the effort shows up each game to use the talent.