PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the defending National Champion Baseball Team

Todd4State
01-16-2022, 02:40 AM
That would be our very own MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS! I think I speak for all of us when I say that I have enjoyed winning the National Championship to the 10th degree. It feels great to wear National Championship gear with the MS logo on it and now our program has accomplished pretty much everything it can. All we can do is win more National Championships.

Winning a National Championship is VERY special. There are about 200 teams in D1 NCAA baseball. Only 30 have won a National Championship. Only 15 have repeated. Even getting to the finals is a pretty special deal too. The neat thing for me personally is we really started to transition from a Southern/regional type program to a National power in my lifetime. So this has been 45 years in the making. That's the difference between us and a USC, Arizona State, or a Texas who have been at this a little bit longer than we have. But anyway I have been able to witness this transition for the most part. Don't remember 1979 and I wasn't quite born when Ron Polk took over in 1976. But I do remember 1985 and pretty much everything after that. I survived the Polk II era and Cohen's first two years which were ROUGH. I'm not sure if we would have been able to win a series from Delta State between 2008-2010. But the past few years have really been 10x more enjoyable than those bad years in comparison seeing MSU become the program that we all knew it could and should be and dreamed about in 2009 when Cohen took over. And the great thing is I think we're really only beginning what I think will be looked at on as the greatest era in Mississippi State baseball history. I really believe we have more National Titles coming in the future. It's kind of like we started winning regionals and Super Regionals and once our team figured out how to do that and how to get to Omaha it became something that the program became more accustomed to. Now that we have won a National Title I think the same thing will continue. I think Chris Lemonis is the right coach to do it. He's really so impressive at how he manages the team. They never seem to get too high or too low no matter how the weekend goes or whatever happens in a tournament. He doesn't overwork pitchers. He rarely makes moves that are questionable- which happens to every baseball manager and no one is immune to that. He lets the assistant coaches do their jobs. And he just lets the players play. Dan McDonnell did us a HUGE favor by recommending him. There is no question in my mind that he would have had Indiana in Super Regionals and occasionally the CWS had he stayed there. And I don't think he is looking to leave either. I think he will stay for awhile.

I think we have three potential first round picks this year on our team. Landon Sims, Logan Tanner, and the only one I have a question about is Kam James but I could see him getting there with a breakout year which is an unknown at this point. But I think he is capable. I also think Kellum Clark has a breakout year this year too. He is draft eligible this year so that is something to watch.

I think our rotation will be Landon Sims on Friday, Cade Smith on Saturday, and then I think to start the year out we will go with Jackson Fristoe. Sunday is a question and if he struggles I think we will either go with Andrew Walling or Jack Walker based on how they perform in midweek action. Walling also has the ability to be a relief guy and I could see him possibly being used sort of like Houston Harding where if he has success starting midweek we may bring him out of the pen for 3-5 innings and possibly start him in the rotation depending on how others perform. The thing about Walling is he has had command issues and transitioning to starting has been a struggle for him so far. So he may end up being another Paul Younf.
Walker is just a little advanced for a freshman and he may take the job.

We will not have a closer as good as Landon was last year. He was about as automatic as you could ever hope for and IMO he was better than Kopps at Arkansas. We just didn't overwork him like Arkansas did to Kopps and I think we're all thankful for that. The rumor is KC Hunt is the favorite to replace him but there are several guys that will be in the running and I think they are all capable. Preston Johnson- who I think will be more of a relief ace multi inning guy but could close some, Parker Stinnett who has had control issues but has improved and had a good summer, Brooks Auger a JUCO who kind of got lost in the shuffle because of COVID, Mikey Tepper who had a good summer, and Stone Simmons who had some good outings for us last year and may factor in the rotation as well. Brandon Smith I'm wondering if he will ever be right but if he is I think he will also factor in for the Sunday spot and a bullpen spot as well.

Logan Tanner is a Johnny Bench candidate and probably a first round pick. He has power and has been big in the clutch. He's the best catcher I have ever seen at MSU. That throw he made in the Ole Miss series to gun down Gonzalez looked like something you would see from a Yadier Molina, Pudge Rodriguez, or an elite MLB catcher. He is going to shut down the other teams running game which is big in college- especially with some of these mid majors. Luke Hancock will be the primary back-up and will probably catch mostly midweek games.

Hunter Hines will play either at first base or DH and probably some of both. He's going to be a really good player- but right now he's just a freshman so we'll see if he can weather slumps and things like that. Hancock can play first if we need to give Hines a break, but if I had my preference I would like Hines to play first since he is going to be our guy there in the future. RJ Yeager will play second. Just a different player than Dubrule in that Yeager has more power and Dubrule was more of a contact guy. I felt like Dubrule tried to do too much at times at the plate and pressed some. If Yeager struggles we'll probably go with Davis Meche who hit pretty well in the fall or maybe Tanner Leggett who will be a MSU legend forever no matter what. Great story- and I will fully admit that I thought he was a huge reach. I respect what he has done though and I'm thankful that he is a Bulldog. I think Kam James busts out this year now that he has found a home at third base. He needs to get his average up but he is a guy that could hit 15 plus home runs and steal 20 plus bases while hitting over .300. Lane Forsythe reminds me so much of Matthew Maniscalco. He played really well all year and especially in Omaha. Defensively he is there. I think the bat will gradually come around the older he gets. He really stabilized our defense last year.

Brad Cumbest will start in LF but we need to see how healthy he is. Wrist injuries always worry me with baseball players. Focusing on baseball is a good move for him. Jess Davis will get a shot at CF but the question is how will he be with the bat? He's either going to be a solid CF or a pinch run defensive replacement. Brayland Skinner was hurt all year long and I think he might surprise some people this year. Kellum Clark will take over RF and he was also ill and not 100% last year. But by the time Omaha rolled around we all saw a glimpse of what he can be. I think he's the next MSU great and I think he busts out this year. Drew McGowan might find his way into the starting lineup if Cumbest and Davis are struggling.

DH will probably be Hancock, Hines, maybe Logan Tanner when Hancock catches, and some of the other freshmen when they are playing well like Cole Slater and Aaron Downs. Tanner Leggett will be our top pinch hit guy. Our top pinch runners will be Skinner, Davis, and McGowan depending on how the outfield shakes out.

It's going to be tough to repeat. Everyone is going to be coming after us and there is always the concern about players letting their guard down while everyone pats them on the back. We saw that in 2014 some. That said, making a SR is the minimum expectation and this team has enough talent to repeat. There are some question marks but this team is also fairly well rounded as well. Going back to Omaha again is within reach and continuing to add to the MSU baseball legacy.

Hail State! Put the Diamond Girls back on the field.

OLJWales
01-16-2022, 07:21 AM
Thank you Todd.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-16-2022, 07:53 AM
Excellent read! I agree that the future is bright for this baseball team and that Coach Lemonis is the one to get them there. Oh, and like you said, put the Diamond Girls back on the field.

Pancho
01-16-2022, 08:01 AM
Thanks Todd.

OLJWales
01-16-2022, 08:20 AM
With the exception of being A Cardinals Fan, Todd's a Righteous Dude.

Catfish
01-16-2022, 08:23 AM
Very good post Todd.

99jc
01-16-2022, 08:27 AM
in reality i dont expect a repeat but going to the CWS should be our standard.

PGHBulldogBG
01-16-2022, 08:27 AM
Great write up Todd now let?s get that repeat!

AlSwearengen
01-16-2022, 08:37 AM
Todd, a few things that I picked up from what I believe is the most recent interview with Lemonis done by Logan Lowery and Bart Gregory include the following:
I’ll preface by saying that Lowery and Gregory basically asked about who we should expect to see and in what role or position and that was pretty much most of the interview.

1. He likes Auger, didn’t say a whole lot other than that.
2. Said he didn’t think Jack Walker gave up a run all fall so I think we can expect him to have a fairly significant role.
3. Talked about Fristoe and basically said that Fristoe lost some of his aggressiveness last year and needs to attack and be more competitive. Basically, he just needs to get his head right but we knew that.
4. Mentioned Pico Kohn as a contributor.
5. Talking about a closer, he mentioned Hunt, Tepper, and a third name that I can’t recall as possibilities and said someone just needs to basically make the jump mentally.
6. Really likes Slate Alford. Said they knew he could hit but were surprised by how good he is defensively and said that he can play multiple positions b/c of his athleticism. Even said he could play 2B and compared him a little to Foscue in that manner. I think we can expect to see a lot of Alford in the future.
7. Hines can hit and it sounds like that is what is going to get him in the lineup, probably at 1B or DH. I don’t think he is a gold glove type though from the sound of it.
8. Skinner is the best defensive OF that Lemonis has ever coached. I don’t think he nor Davis are going to hit much but we expected that.
9. Cumbest can be very good if he can be consistent and hopefully that comes with playing time but we kind of knew that.
10. Clark has worked really hard at becoming a good outfielder and Lemonis expects him to do well at the plate if he can keep his approach right.

They mostly talked about new comers and positions that have been up for grabs (which aren’t many) and young players.

MoreCowbell
01-16-2022, 08:38 AM
That would be our very own MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS! I think I speak for all of us when I say that I have enjoyed winning the National Championship to the 10th degree. It feels great to wear National Championship gear with the MS logo on it and now our program has accomplished pretty much everything it can. All we can do is win more National Championships.

Winning a National Championship is VERY special. There are about 200 teams in D1 NCAA baseball. Only 30 have won a National Championship. Only 15 have repeated. Even getting to the finals is a pretty special deal too. The neat thing for me personally is we really started to transition from a Southern/regional type program to a National power in my lifetime. So this has been 45 years in the making. That's the difference between us and a USC, Arizona State, or a Texas who have been at this a little bit longer than we have. But anyway I have been able to witness this transition for the most part. Don't remember 1979 and I wasn't quite born when Ron Polk took over in 1976. But I do remember 1985 and pretty much everything after that. I survived the Polk II era and Cohen's first two years which were ROUGH. I'm not sure if we would have been able to win a series from Delta State between 2008-2010. But the past few years have really been 10x more enjoyable than those bad years in comparison seeing MSU become the program that we all knew it could and should be and dreamed about in 2009 when Cohen took over. And the great thing is I think we're really only beginning what I think will be looked at on as the greatest era in Mississippi State baseball history. I really believe we have more National Titles coming in the future. It's kind of like we started winning regionals and Super Regionals and once our team figured out how to do that and how to get to Omaha it became something that the program became more accustomed to. Now that we have won a National Title I think the same thing will continue. I think Chris Lemonis is the right coach to do it. He's really so impressive at how he manages the team. They never seem to get too high or too low no matter how the weekend goes or whatever happens in a tournament. He doesn't overwork pitchers. He rarely makes moves that are questionable- which happens to every baseball manager and no one is immune to that. He lets the assistant coaches do their jobs. And he just lets the players play. Dan McDonnell did us a HUGE favor by recommending him. There is no question in my mind that he would have had Indiana in Super Regionals and occasionally the CWS had he stayed there. And I don't think he is looking to leave either. I think he will stay for awhile.

I think we have three potential first round picks this year on our team. Landon Sims, Logan Tanner, and the only one I have a question about is Kam James but I could see him getting there with a breakout year which is an unknown at this point. But I think he is capable. I also think Kellum Clark has a breakout year this year too. He is draft eligible this year so that is something to watch.

I think our rotation will be Landon Sims on Friday, Cade Smith on Saturday, and then I think to start the year out we will go with Jackson Fristoe. Sunday is a question and if he struggles I think we will either go with Andrew Walling or Jack Walker based on how they perform in midweek action. Walling also has the ability to be a relief guy and I could see him possibly being used sort of like Houston Harding where if he has success starting midweek we may bring him out of the pen for 3-5 innings and possibly start him in the rotation depending on how others perform. The thing about Walling is he has had command issues and transitioning to starting has been a struggle for him so far. So he may end up being another Paul Younf.
Walker is just a little advanced for a freshman and he may take the job.

We will not have a closer as good as Landon was last year. He was about as automatic as you could ever hope for and IMO he was better than Kopps at Arkansas. We just didn't overwork him like Arkansas did to Kopps and I think we're all thankful for that. The rumor is KC Hunt is the favorite to replace him but there are several guys that will be in the running and I think they are all capable. Preston Johnson- who I think will be more of a relief ace multi inning guy but could close some, Parker Stinnett who has had control issues but has improved and had a good summer, Brooks Auger a JUCO who kind of got lost in the shuffle because of COVID, Mikey Tepper who had a good summer, and Stone Simmons who had some good outings for us last year and may factor in the rotation as well. Brandon Smith I'm wondering if he will ever be right but if he is I think he will also factor in for the Sunday spot and a bullpen spot as well.

Logan Tanner is a Johnny Bench candidate and probably a first round pick. He has power and has been big in the clutch. He's the best catcher I have ever seen at MSU. That throw he made in the Ole Miss series to gun down Gonzalez looked like something you would see from a Yadier Molina, Pudge Rodriguez, or an elite MLB catcher. He is going to shut down the other teams running game which is big in college- especially with some of these mid majors. Luke Hancock will be the primary back-up and will probably catch mostly midweek games.

Hunter Hines will play either at first base or DH and probably some of both. He's going to be a really good player- but right now he's just a freshman so we'll see if he can weather slumps and things like that. Hancock can play first if we need to give Hines a break, but if I had my preference I would like Hines to play first since he is going to be our guy there in the future. RJ Yeager will play second. Just a different player than Dubrule in that Yeager has more power and Dubrule was more of a contact guy. I felt like Dubrule tried to do too much at times at the plate and pressed some. If Yeager struggles we'll probably go with Davis Meche who hit pretty well in the fall or maybe Tanner Leggett who will be a MSU legend forever no matter what. Great story- and I will fully admit that I thought he was a huge reach. I respect what he has done though and I'm thankful that he is a Bulldog. I think Kam James busts out this year now that he has found a home at third base. He needs to get his average up but he is a guy that could hit 15 plus home runs and steal 20 plus bases while hitting over .300. Lane Forsythe reminds me so much of Matthew Maniscalco. He played really well all year and especially in Omaha. Defensively he is there. I think the bat will gradually come around the older he gets. He really stabilized our defense last year.

Brad Cumbest will start in LF but we need to see how healthy he is. Wrist injuries always worry me with baseball players. Focusing on baseball is a good move for him. Jess Davis will get a shot at CF but the question is how will he be with the bat? He's either going to be a solid CF or a pinch run defensive replacement. Brayland Skinner was hurt all year long and I think he might surprise some people this year. Kellum Clark will take over RF and he was also ill and not 100% last year. But by the time Omaha rolled around we all saw a glimpse of what he can be. I think he's the next MSU great and I think he busts out this year. Drew McGowan might find his way into the starting lineup if Cumbest and Davis are struggling.

DH will probably be Hancock, Hines, maybe Logan Tanner when Hancock catches, and some of the other freshmen when they are playing well like Cole Slater and Aaron Downs. Tanner Leggett will be our top pinch hit guy. Our top pinch runners will be Skinner, Davis, and McGowan depending on how the outfield shakes out.

It's going to be tough to repeat. Everyone is going to be coming after us and there is always the concern about players letting their guard down while everyone pats them on the back. We saw that in 2014 some. That said, making a SR is the minimum expectation and this team has enough talent to repeat. There are some question marks but this team is also fairly well rounded as well. Going back to Omaha again is within reach and continuing to add to the MSU baseball legacy.

Hail State! Put the Diamond Girls back on the field.

Great post my man thanks

somebodyshotmypaw
01-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Great post Todd. So Davis Meche is still here? For some reason I thought he transferred.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-16-2022, 09:09 AM
Great post Todd. So Davis Meche is still here? For some reason I thought he transferred.

According to his Twitter, he is still a Dawg. Hail State!

BrunswickDawg
01-16-2022, 10:03 AM
There's one of those classic 800 page novels from T4S!! Been a while.

Great points and terrific summary of where we are. As for the elephant in the room - repeating. It is difficult. Possibly the hardest thing in all sports. The biggest thing we have going for us is leadership - both players and coaches. Lemo had been thinking about repeating and how to do it since the day after we won. On field, we have established a hard nose, never say die approach that has been handed down team to team since 2016. Importantly, it's handed down from Alpha Dawg to Alpha Dawg. Rooker > Mangum/McNamee > TA >>>
And now I think LoTan leads this year and hands it off to Kellum Clark for '23.

Saltydog
01-16-2022, 10:11 AM

I think you might be referring to Kyte McDonald.

Homedawg
01-16-2022, 10:39 AM
There's one of those classic 800 page novels from T4S!! Been a while.

Great points and terrific summary of where we are. As for the elephant in the room - repeating. It is difficult. Possibly the hardest thing in all sports. The biggest thing we have going for us is leadership - both players and coaches. Lemo had been thinking about repeating and how to do it since the day after we won. On field, we have established a hard nose, never say die approach that has been handed down team to team since 2016. Importantly, it's handed down from Alpha Dawg to Alpha Dawg. Rooker > Mangum/McNamee > TA >>>
And now I think LoTan leads this year and hands it off to Kellum Clark for '23.

Kellum is draft eligible this year. So it's possible he's not back in 23

calidawg
01-16-2022, 11:01 AM
Why does landon have to be a starter? why can't he just develop into the best reliever/closer he could possibly be?

CadaverDawg
01-16-2022, 11:13 AM
Why does landon have to be a starter? why can't he just develop into the best reliever/closer he could possibly be?

I think he wants to be a starter at the next level, or at least show scouts he's capable, and Lemonis is going to give him that opportunity. That being said, I wonder what happens if he starts running out of gas in the 4th-5th, and we are having trouble closing out games....would they consider a mid-year move back to closer if some of the young arms are stepping up in the starter roles? Hopefully we won't need it, but it's probably a good thing to have that option if needed.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2022, 11:14 AM
Who are we thinking will be our top 4-5 guys in the lineup? Weird not having Rowdey and TA up there

smootness
01-16-2022, 11:53 AM
If Sims can be a legit Friday guy, he's more valuable there, that's why you make that move.

He'll have to dial back some of the intensity and probably a little velocity to start, but no reason he can't do that and be a starter like anyone else.

smootness
01-16-2022, 11:55 AM
Who are we thinking will be our top 4-5 guys in the lineup? Weird not having Rowdey and TA up there

I think Tanner, James, and Hancock are obvious. Beyond that, we'll see who performs. I think Clark is a decent bet and then maybe Yeager if he can put up a good OBP.

I'd be good with:
Hancock
Yeager
Tanner
James
Clark

CadaverDawg
01-16-2022, 12:02 PM
I think Tanner, James, and Hancock are obvious. Beyond that, we'll see who performs. I think Clark is a decent bet and then maybe Yeager if he can put up a good OBP.

I'd be good with:
Hancock
Yeager
Tanner
James
Clark

Don't know much about Yeager, is he a speedy guy? If not, that isn't much speed at the top, outside of maybe Kam.

I love seeing us with repeated depth at the plate, where guys like Cumbest aren't mentioned in the Top 5 in the lineup. That's a great thing, and starting to become the norm under Lemo. I'm excited to see these newcomers, bc we always have a few step up immediately, yet the incoming classes are becoming more and more talented, so it makes it tough to know who will be making up the starting 9

calidawg
01-16-2022, 12:22 PM
I think he wants to be a starter at the next level, or at least show scouts he's capable, and Lemonis is going to give him that opportunity. That being said, I wonder what happens if he starts running out of gas in the 4th-5th, and we are having trouble closing out games....would they consider a mid-year move back to closer if some of the young arms are stepping up in the starter roles? Hopefully we won't need it, but it's probably a good thing to have that option if needed.

Its fair to give him an opportunity if he wants it. He's earned that.

That being said, I don't see Landon being a successful starter. Part of Landons development will be how he handles that. Hopefully he can swallow pride and go back to being the #1 reliever/ closer in cbb. We'll see.

smootness
01-16-2022, 12:45 PM
Don't know much about Yeager, is he a speedy guy? If not, that isn't much speed at the top, outside of maybe Kam.

He has some speed. But more than speed, I care about guys hitting and getting on at the top of the lineup.

I don't want Skinner OBPing at .300 leading off because he's fast.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2022, 12:55 PM
He has some speed. But more than speed, I care about guys hitting and getting on at the top of the lineup.

I don't want Skinner OBPing at .300 leading off because he's fast.

Yeah I agree about Skinner. If we can get someone to give us hits and speed it'd be ideal. I just don't know enough about our new guys at 2B and CF to know if they can get into the top of the lineup. I guess we could potentially put an on base machine like Hancock at lead off, and Kam behind him, with LoTan and Clark behind him. Would be one of the most powerful 1-4's we've potentially ever had

smootness
01-16-2022, 02:04 PM
We absolutely need Hancock hitting in front of guys like Tanner and James. He just gets on base. The 47 BB and 17 K he put up last year is just absurd.

StarkVegasSteve
01-16-2022, 02:33 PM

Because the pros are not going to draft a guy in the 1st round if all he has ever done is close. Hell Kopps was the downright shut down all year and was a 3rd rounder. And Holder was without a doubt one of the best closers in college baseball for two years and he was 6th rounder. Our coaches are doing what is best for Landon.

AlSwearengen
01-16-2022, 02:38 PM
Sims needs to start for draft purposes. College relievers don’t usually go in the first round. I’ve said before that if we end up having a fourth capable starter and our closing situation is shaky, we might let Sims start during the regular season and then move him back to closer for the post season. A lot of things would have to shake out the right way but that might be an option. Maybe we get lucky and find someone who can do the job but I don’t see us finding anyone better than Sims.

Lemonis did say that we don’t really have a lead off type of hitter this year.

KOdawg1
01-16-2022, 04:28 PM
I too am on the Hancock at leadoff train..

1. Hancock - 1B
2. Kam James - 3B
3. Kellum Clark - RF
4. LoTan - C
5. Yeager - 2B
6. Hines - DH
7. Cumbest - LF
8. Forsythe - SS
9. Davis - CF

I agree with Todd that the starting rotation is probably Sims, Fristoe, and Cade Smith, at least to start out.

Catfish
01-16-2022, 04:59 PM

1. Hancock - 1B
2. Kam James - 3B
3. Kellum Clark - RF
4. LoTan - C
5. Yeager - 2B
6. Hines - DH
7. Cumbest - LF
8. Forsythe - SS
9. Davis - CF

I agree with Todd that the starting rotation is probably Sims, Fristoe, and Cade Smith, at least to start out.

Not a bad lineup.

R2Dawg
01-16-2022, 05:01 PM
We absolutely need Hancock hitting in front of guys like Tanner and James. He just gets on base. The 47 BB and 17 K he put up last year is just absurd.

Boy agree on Hancock he just is so hard to get out. I'm not sure he shouldn't be leading off. Get in the pitchers head right off the bat.

R2Dawg
01-16-2022, 05:04 PM
Sims needs to start for draft purposes. College relievers don’t usually go in the first round. I’ve said before that if we end up having a fourth capable starter and our closing situation is shaky, we might let Sims start during the regular season and then move him back to closer for the post season. A lot of things would have to shake out the right way but that might be an option. Maybe we get lucky and find someone who can do the job but I don’t see us finding anyone better than Sims.

Lemonis did say that we don’t really have a lead off type of hitter this year.

Sims probably needs to be a starter to utilize his talent. However, as good as he is as a closer, I don't think it hurts him much to pitch his innings late or early. I do like the shift with Sims as the season goes on and other young pitchers grow. He need to grow some for the following year after Sims and company are gone.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2022, 02:13 AM

1. Hancock - 1B
2. Kam James - 3B
3. Kellum Clark - RF
4. LoTan - C
5. Yeager - 2B
6. Hines - DH
7. Cumbest - LF
8. Forsythe - SS
9. Davis - CF

Tell us what we are getting in Yeager, Hines, and Davis. I have no clue which side they hit from, if they're big guys, speedy guys, power hitters, on base machines, defensive strengths, etc. Im probably not the only one that would love some insight on these guys from those like you that know what kind of players they are.

KOdawg1
01-17-2022, 09:00 AM
Tell us what we are getting in Yeager, Hines, and Davis. I have no clue which side they hit from, if they're big guys, speedy guys, power hitters, on base machines, defensive strengths, etc. Im probably not the only one that would love some insight on these guys from those like you that know what kind of players they are.

Yeager bats from the right side. He's 6'3, 200 lbs. He hit 13 HRs and 50 RBIs last year for Mercer. A career .291 hitter. From what I've read, he's a pretty good defender who can play SS, but with Forsythe there and a hole at 2B, that's where he'll be. The question will be how long it takes him to adjust to SEC pitching.

Hines has more natural pop than anyone on the team. Big time left handed bat. He had a good fall. He's a freshman so it might take him awhile, but he's got 12-15+ HR potential.

Jess Davis is a speedy LH bat. Doesn't have the best numbers at UAB, but he's an elite CF. Won the national gold glove award. He and Skinner will battle for CF. I think Davis wins because of his glove and the fact that he's a better hitter. I've got him in the 9 hole because he could serve as a second lead off guy for Hancock so he can work with men on base (which is where he's at his best). Oh, Davis also stole 48 bases his freshman year.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2022, 10:06 AM
Yeager bats from the right side. He's 6'3, 200 lbs. He hit 13 HRs and 50 RBIs last year for Mercer. A career .291 hitter. From what I've read, he's a pretty good defender who can play SS, but with Forsythe there and a hole at 2B, that's where he'll be. The question will be how long it takes him to adjust to SEC pitching.

Hines has more natural pop than anyone on the team. Big time left handed bat. He had a good fall. He's a freshman so it might take him awhile, but he's got 12-15+ HR potential.

Jess Davis is a speedy LH bat. Doesn't have the best numbers at UAB, but he's an elite CF. Won the national gold glove award. He and Skinner will battle for CF. I think Davis wins because of his glove and the fact that he's a better hitter. I've got him in the 9 hole because he could serve as a second lead off guy for Hancock so he can work with men on base (which is where he's at his best). Oh, Davis also stole 48 bases his freshman year.

Thanks for the breakdown. High praise for Hines, bc this lineup should not lack pop. Yeager sounds like he's built a little like Jordan Westburg as a middle infielder. I like having some size and pop in your middle infield. Davis sounds like the dirtbag type of guy that State fans typically fall in love with. Good stuff.

smootness
01-17-2022, 10:49 AM
You never fully know in college baseball, but I think this team has a chance to be very, very good. I think we should expect to host a regional and should have a decent shot at a top 8 seed.

Davis/Skinner will leave us wanting some offensively, but we really need a stud defensive CF with a little less range in RF and LF, and they will give us that. Our IF defense should be excellent, and obviously Tanner is a beast behind the plate. Yeager should be able to fill Dubrule's shoes well.

Hancock, James, and Tanner have a chance, if they take yet another step forward, to be monsters this year offensively. Clark has a chance to be very good, Cumbest should be good, so even with TA and Rowdey gone, our offense should have plenty of pop and put up runs.

I think Yeager can at least be solid offensively; he put up better numbers in a tougher league than Dubrule. And if Davis and Forsythe are our weakest links with the bat, we'll be fine. We've got some freshmen with potential, too - I think Alford will have a clear role by the end of the year himself.

Pitching is a question mark, but we have tons of talented arms, so I trust we'll be able to find enough guys to be very good.

WPS
01-17-2022, 12:59 PM
On paper IMO State seems to be the most balanced team in the West. LSU, Ole Miss and Arkansas should have lethal lineups but all have questions needing to be answered on the mound.

Interested to see how it all shakes out.

HoopsDawg
01-17-2022, 01:11 PM
just so you guys know, our opening day lineup is most likely going to be:

1. Davis
2. Kam James
3. Luke
4. Logan Tanner
5. Kellum clark
6. Yeager
7. Hines
8. Cumbest
9. Forsythe

Johnson85
01-17-2022, 01:36 PM
in reality i dont expect a repeat but going to the CWS should be our standard.

Still a lot of luck in baseball, so hard to make CWS the standard. But I do feel like at this point anything less than a Super is a disappointment, Super is solid and meeting expectations, and it takes a CWS appearance to count as a good year (short of winning the SEC regular season title).

Dak Holliday
01-17-2022, 01:43 PM
Great post. I hate to say it, but we?ve had so much success lately that it feels like the bottom is falling out if we not only make it to Omaha, but also a deep run. I hope we can appreciate how great MSU baseball has become without becoming the Bammers of baseball.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2022, 02:32 PM
Great post. I hate to say it, but we?ve had so much success lately that it feels like the bottom is falling out if we not only make it to Omaha, but also a deep run. I hope we can appreciate how great MSU baseball has become without becoming the Bammers of baseball.

That's way to high of an expectation. Even the best programs are lucky to make it multiple times in a decade - and we've made it 4 times in 10 years - and would likely have 5 if not for 2020 being cancelled. Arguably our best team over the last decade -2016 - got bounced in the Supers. Making the CWS is tough.

Ranchdawg
01-17-2022, 03:13 PM
Great discussion! I?m soooo ready for college baseball to start. I?m just about done from following college football. They IMO have ruined college football. And college basketball is really getting hard to watch (fouls and more fouls). 40+ years of seriously of following the reigning National Champion Dawgs (that still sends chills to say) I?m so proud to discuss that we have a program that for the foreseeable future will be at elite status!

Johnson85
01-17-2022, 03:30 PM
If Sims can be a legit Friday guy, he's more valuable there, that's why you make that move.

He'll have to dial back some of the intensity and probably a little velocity to start, but no reason he can't do that and be a starter like anyone else.

Is that really true though? I know that's conventional wisdom, but surely as much time put into baseball analytics, somebody has some numbers on what a closer who can close two games a weekend is worth compared to a friday night starter. I know we didn't let Sims pitch twice in a weekend for the most part, but we could have, and I presume would have done so more this year if he had stayed at closer.

smootness
01-17-2022, 04:39 PM
Is that really true though? I know that's conventional wisdom, but surely as much time put into baseball analytics, somebody has some numbers on what a closer who can close two games a weekend is worth compared to a friday night starter. I know we didn't let Sims pitch twice in a weekend for the most part, but we could have, and I presume would have done so more this year if he had stayed at closer.

I think it is true, especially on this team. Because right now we don’t have any guys we know we can rely on as a consistent SP, and if you don’t have a Friday guy who can compete, that’s a bunch of losses already on your schedule.

We can find somebody who can be good enough on the back end, we really need someone who can allow us to compete every Friday night. That’s harder to fill than closer for us. And it also maximizes his innings, especially if Sims is only going to pitch once most weekends.

Once you get to postseason play, it may be a tougher argument, but for the season as a whole, I think we’re better off if Sims can give us 6-7 every Friday.

State82
01-17-2022, 05:10 PM
Is that really true though? I know that's conventional wisdom, but surely as much time put into baseball analytics, somebody has some numbers on what a closer who can close two games a weekend is worth compared to a friday night starter.

Well, that assumes you have starters that can keep you in position to actually need a closer twice in a weekend. A guy that is money on Friday, over the course of a season, is invaluable.

Captain Falcon
01-17-2022, 05:15 PM
I think people are seriously underestimating Sims' potential as a Friday night guy. He's got a real chance to be what Bednar was for us last year, and possibly even better. As far as I'm concerned, Sims is already one of our all time greats, and if he has a big year as a starter then I think he's got a legit case for being the best pitcher in school history.

Look for Preston Johnson to be in contention for a weekend starting spot too. We have some younger guys who are probably more talented but Preston is a bit more consistent.

I feel like we have too much talent in the bullpen to not figure it out on the back end at some point. It's tough to expect anyone to be as unbelievably dominant as Sims was last year, and maybe we blow a game in the late innings here and there, but I think we will eventually find one or two guys we can count on in close games.

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-17-2022, 05:17 PM
Hosting regionals should be the standard. You then set yourself up with advantages to make a run.

Captain Falcon
01-17-2022, 05:25 PM
That's way to high of an expectation. Even the best programs are lucky to make it multiple times in a decade - and we've made it 4 times in 10 years - and would likely have 5 if not for 2020 being cancelled. Arguably our best team over the last decade -2016 - got bounced in the Supers. Making the CWS is tough.

We are currently on our longest Omaha streak in program history, this is the first time we have ever made it three postseasons in a row. I think people forget that sometimes and do not appreciate how hard it is to do what we have done the last few years.

We are probably due a year or two where we unexpectedly get bounced in a Super or even in the Regional round. Just not realistic to expect Omaha every single year, even LSU didn't do it in the 90's when they had their historic run under Bertman. If we go 5 times in a decade then that's a great 10 year stretch.

I would also like to think we aren't done winning national titles but it's far from a sure thing that we win another one anytime soon. For all of Vanderbilt's advantages and success, they only have two championships. Florida has been in Omaha a ton and only has one championship to show for it. LSU hasn't won a title in over a decade in spite of having some great teams in the 2010's. Arkansas is still looking for their first trophy. All you can do is keep putting yourself in a position to make it to Omaha and hope that things break your way once you are there.

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2022, 06:04 PM
We are currently on our longest Omaha streak in program history, this is the first time we have ever made it three postseasons in a row. I think people forget that sometimes and do not appreciate how hard it is to do what we have done the last few years.

We are probably due a year or two where we unexpectedly get bounced in a Super or even in the Regional round. Just not realistic to expect Omaha every single year, even LSU didn't do it in the 90's when they had their historic run under Bertman. If we go 5 times in a decade then that's a great 10 year stretch.

I would also like to think we aren't done winning national titles but it's far from a sure thing that we win another one anytime soon. For all of Vanderbilt's advantages and success, they only have two championships. Florida has been in Omaha a ton and only has one championship to show for it. LSU hasn't won a title in over a decade in spite of having some great teams in the 2010's. Arkansas is still looking for their first trophy. All you can do is keep putting yourself in a position to make it to Omaha and hope that things break your way once you are there.

We've been on an unreal run over the past 11 seasons - going back to 2011.
'11 - 9 outs from Omaha when UF rallied
'12 - 9 outs from a Super when Samford rallied
'13 - CWS runner-up
'14 - lose Regional Final at ULL
'15 - bottom fell out with ball and bay change
'16 - SEC Champs - lose Super to CW runner-up
'17 - lose Super to CWS runner-up
'18 - CWS #3 - lost to CWS winner
'19 - CWS #5
'20 - COVID
'21 - CWS Winner

In 11 years that's 7 Regionals won, 4 Supers Won, 2 CWS Finals, 1 Natty. Gotta love it!

CadaverDawg
01-17-2022, 08:39 PM
'13 - CWS runner-up
'19 - CWS #5
'20 - COVID
'21 - CWS Winner

In 11 years that's 7 Regionals won, 4 Supers Won, 2 CWS Finals, 1 Natty. Gotta love it!

Damn!

Maybe we should try hiring a former football coach as our next AD...maybe we can duplicate that in football

PCHSDawg
01-17-2022, 08:43 PM
Damn!

Maybe we should try hiring a former football coach as our next AD...maybe we can duplicate that in football
I hear Dan Mullen is looking for a job.;)***

Dak Holliday
01-17-2022, 09:11 PM

I agree with you 100%. What I was saying is that many of our fans seem to feel like the world is ending if we don?t make a good Omaha run because baseball has been so successful. I just want us to remain true to our baseball identity rather than becoming the Bammers of baseball- a fanbase that sees anything other than a NC as a failure and the season as a waste. MSU baseball has always been a journey celebrated from start to finish. I hope it stays that way.

KOdawg1
01-17-2022, 09:12 PM
'13 - CWS runner-up
'19 - CWS #5
'20 - COVID
'21 - CWS Winner

Not to mention completely dominating ole miss in that stretch

Coach34
01-17-2022, 09:13 PM
My takes:

We are one of the most talented teams in the Country
We have some damn good experienced guys returning
Our pitching is will be top 10 in the Country
Offensively we will be better than last year
Super is always the expectation. From there is always tough.

Sims was always going to become a SP. He needs to improve on a 3rd pitch and transition from intense Animal to SP mentality
Our 3rd SP will shake out- just need it done by March and not still searching into April
We have some vets and other arm talent in the pen- we will be fine.

My line-up to start would probably be:

1. Hancock
2. James
3. Clark
4. Tanner
5. Hines
6. Cumbest
7. Yeager
8. Davis/Skinner
9. Foreskin

I probably flip James and Hancock vs LHP's early on. See how it shakes out. We have quality starters plus some bench.

The odds are against a repeat- but this team is good enough to do it. Should be a fun ride

Dak Holliday
01-17-2022, 09:15 PM
Not to mention completely dominating ole miss in that stretch

We own Bianco. He calls foolish plays and gets his teams uptight when playing us. They have good enough talent, but their coach cracks under pressure.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 09:16 PM

To be honest, we were careful w him. AND he was careful himself. There was more than once he basically made himself unavailable. We'd get to the field and he wouldn't have his spikes on...

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 09:18 PM
My takes:

We are one of the most talented teams in the Country
We have some damn good experienced guys returning
Our pitching is will be top 10 in the Country
Offensively we will be better than last year
Super is always the expectation. From there is always tough.

Sims was always going to become a SP. He needs to improve on a 3rd pitch and transition from intense Animal to SP mentality
Our 3rd SP will shake out- just need it done by March and not still searching into April
We have some vets and other arm talent in the pen- we will be fine.

My line-up to start would probably be:

1. Hancock
2. James
3. Clark
4. Tanner
5. Hines
6. Cumbest
7. Yeager
8. Davis/Skinner
9. Foreskin

I probably flip James and Hancock vs LHP's early on. See how it shakes out. We have quality starters plus some bench.

The odds are against a repeat- but this team is good enough to do it. Should be a fun ride
This lineup does one thing lem has liked to do, split the hitters and lh hitter to prevent the lhp matchup for multiple guys. If personnel allows it, and sometimes it doesn't, it's a good strategy from an offensive standpoint

Coach34
01-17-2022, 09:25 PM
This lineup does one thing lem has liked to do, split the hitters and lh hitter to prevent the lhp matchup for multiple guys. If personnel allows it, and sometimes it doesn't, it's a good strategy from an offensive standpoint

Yeah- I'm that guy also. Dont want to bunch guys from the same side unless you just have to

HoopsDawg
01-17-2022, 09:26 PM

my lineup is going to end up more accurate. Hancock delievered so many times in RBI situations that Lem is planning on moving him to the 1 hole.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 09:27 PM
Yeah- I'm that guy also. Dont want to bunch guys from the same side unless you just have to

I do think Yeager is going to hit higher than 7th. But, your lineup is solid. Either way, having a guy that's going to hit double digit hr 7th is strong.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 09:29 PM
my lineup is going to end up more accurate. Hancock delievered so many times in RBI situations that Lem is planning on moving him to the 1 hole.

Ot might be. But Davis really struggled in the fall. He won't get much rope in the lead off spot if they start him there.

Coach34
01-17-2022, 09:32 PM
I do think Yeager is going to hit higher than 7th. But, your lineup is solid. Either way, having a guy that's going to hit double digit hr 7th is strong.

and maybe he does. Like I said- I start there and see how he adjusts to SEC pitching. Last year we saw Debrule start out ok- then struggle early on in the SEC- then once he got adjusted hit pretty well in May and June. Yeager may follow the same path. Just have to see how it shakes out

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 02:18 AM
'13 - CWS runner-up
'19 - CWS #5
'20 - COVID
'21 - CWS Winner

We also won the SEC Tournament in 2012. We burned out our pitching and that may be why partially we didn't go to a SR that year though.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 02:30 AM
Some things in general:

Landon will be fine as a starting pitcher I think. He is working on a third pitch- I think a changeup- but his stuff is so good I think he could mostly get by with what he has. IF he doesn't work out as a starter we'll simply move him back to closer. Either way is going to work out for us.

I like hitting Luke Hancock leadoff. Kind of off that he didn't hit over .300. He was probably unlucky more than anything if I had to guess and it just went unnoticed because he still got on base a lot and hit 10 home runs.

I'm not sure that Lemonis is going to just hit Davis leadoff to start although it's not out of the realm of possibility either. I do think there is a lot of risk there based on his track record as a hitter suggesting it probably won't work out. That said, if there is one thing in his favor offensively it's that he will be hitting in a much better lineup than he was in at UAB which in theory should help him out some no matter where he hits. Also, I believe he had some injuries at UAB and I'm not sure how much that affected him either. If I were in Lemonis's shoes I would hit Davis 9th like many others are suggesting and if he looks good then maybe you move him to leadoff and then Hancock to second.

Yeager is just a completely different player than Dubrule. Dubrule is more of a stereotypical college second baseman. Contact guy who can hit some doubles and plays good defense but range wise is limited to where he couldn't really play SS. Yeager is a poor man's version of Justin Foscue. He has more power than Dubrule but with less contact and I think defensively I think we're going to get similar or better production as we got from Dubrule based on the fact that Yeager was able to play SS at a mid major.

Johnson85
01-18-2022, 09:32 AM
Some things in general:

Landon will be fine as a starting pitcher I think. He is working on a third pitch- I think a changeup- but his stuff is so good I think he could mostly get by with what he has. IF he doesn't work out as a starter we'll simply move him back to closer. Either way is going to work out for us.

I like hitting Luke Hancock leadoff. Kind of off that he didn't hit over .300. He was probably unlucky more than anything if I had to guess and it just went unnoticed because he still got on base a lot and hit 10 home runs.

I'm not sure that Lemonis is going to just hit Davis leadoff to start although it's not out of the realm of possibility either. I do think there is a lot of risk there based on his track record as a hitter suggesting it probably won't work out. That said, if there is one thing in his favor offensively it's that he will be hitting in a much better lineup than he was in at UAB which in theory should help him out some no matter where he hits. Also, I believe he had some injuries at UAB and I'm not sure how much that affected him either. If I were in Lemonis's shoes I would hit Davis 9th like many others are suggesting and if he looks good then maybe you move him to leadoff and then Hancock to second.

Yeager is just a completely different player than Dubrule. Dubrule is more of a stereotypical college second baseman. Contact guy who can hit some doubles and plays good defense but range wise is limited to where he couldn't really play SS. Yeager is a poor man's version of Justin Foscue. He has more power than Dubrule but with less contact and I think defensively I think we're going to get similar or better production as we got from Dubrule based on the fact that Yeager was able to play SS at a mid major.

Hancock was great at getting on base and probably should have had a higher average based on his hitting, but still seems weird to have somebody at leadoff that can't put pressure on the defense once he gets on base. Guess his running doesn't matter that much if we're following him up with good hitters; having people on base period with good hitters puts pressure on I guess. But it'd be nice to have a guy with a good OBP that can run also at leadoff.

basedog
01-18-2022, 09:51 AM
Hancock was great at getting on base and probably should have had a higher average based on his hitting, but still seems weird to have somebody at leadoff that can't put pressure on the defense once he gets on base. Guess his running doesn't matter that much if we're following him up with good hitters; having people on base period with good hitters puts pressure on I guess. But it'd be nice to have a guy with a good OBP that can run also at leadoff.

I agree, speed kills with the ability of stealing a base.

Todd4State
01-18-2022, 06:19 PM

It's not prototypical but Davis at 9 would give us a "second leadoff hitter" who can run. I do prefer to have someone that can run leading off like a Mangum, Robson, or a Rowdey but I also believe that you base what you do on what your players can do and we're better off with Hancock getting on, working the count and then going from there. From that standpoint Hancock is a protoypical leadoff hitter without the speed.