PDA

View Full Version : Baseball bats

It_Could_Happen
11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
I've heard a lot about the new bats are team is using. What are they? Addias?

Todd4State
11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
They are Adidas bats.

Thick
11-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Supposedly we are the only school to have this bat deal from Adidas.

messageboardsuperhero
11-20-2013, 05:23 PM
The Adidas bats reportedly have a little more pop in them. Here's some interesting power/XBH numbers (and remember that the SEC numbers are against pitching that is generally a little worse than what we have and in warmer weather)-

AB/XBH

2012 Fall 24.3
2013 SEC play only 18.7
2013 Fall 14.2

What does this mean and how will it translate into next season? And how much of this is due to the bats as opposed to having better hitters and seeing the same pitching every day? I have no idea. I just thought I'd throw this out there. All the rumors indicate that these bats are a little bit better though.

Schultzy
11-20-2013, 11:19 PM
The Adidas bats reportedly have a little more pop in them. Here's some interesting power/XBH numbers (and remember that the SEC numbers are against pitching that is generally a little worse than what we have and in warmer weather)-

AB/XBH

2012 Fall 24.3
2013 SEC play only 18.7
2013 Fall 14.2

What does this mean and how will it translate into next season? And how much of this is due to the bats as opposed to having better hitters and seeing the same pitching every day? I have no idea. I just thought I'd throw this out there. All the rumors indicate that these bats are a little bit better though.

Yeah, but will it help our BABIP? Whatever that is.

bully99
11-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Don't you go hating on Will James. He'll throw his whips and wars at you. Then hit you with an ops.

messageboardsuperhero
11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
It's nice to see a couple of knowledgeable and well thought out posts like these. Y'all are bringing so much to the board.**

ETA: This is what BABIP is- http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/babip/

Will James
11-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Yeah, but will it help our BABIP? Whatever that is.

Well with more pop it should. Ignorance is still looked down upon in America.

engie
11-21-2013, 12:14 AM
They are way hotter. WAY hotter.

As in -- the current versions could potentially lose certification hot if they "break in" very much.

Rumored to be a controlled deal for Adidas. Running them on the ragged edge and building demand based on that LONG before a wide release to the general public that probably will be detuned quite a bit...

It_Could_Happen
11-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Engie what is the rest of the SEC looking like? Are we the favorite? So far all I've heard is it's a 3 horse race again. LSU Vandy and MSU

messageboardsuperhero
11-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Engie what is the rest of the SEC looking like? Are we the favorite? So far all I've heard is it's a 3 horse race again. LSU Vandy and MSU

I'd throw USCe in there as well. I like what they have coming back and what they brought in.

engie
11-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah -- can never count USCe...

Bama and Tennessee are the sleepers -- not really to win the title I don't think, but to be a whole lot better than people are thinking. Alabama was playing very well late last year largely on true freshmen -- and Tennessee should be getting alot closer to being substantial under Serrano...

messageboardsuperhero
11-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Vandy will have a hard time winning the conference this year with the schedule they have. I guess they're getting some bad karma after the pretty easy SEC schedule they played last year. They may be in a similar boat as we were this past season- one of the three best SEC teams but with a ridiculous schedule.

I agree on Bama- they'll be tougher than they have been in the past few years. I expect them to compete with Arkansas for 3rd in the West.

Todd4State
11-21-2013, 02:00 PM

With our schedule, I like our chances of winning the SEC this year. LSU will be a contender as always- they bring back Nola and their all-world SS with the ugly ass high top shoes.

Vandy has Tyler Beede coming back- and he is considered the top pitching prospect in the SEC.

South Carolina, and Florida will be good. I agree with engie about Alabama and Tennessee being better as well.

Ronny
11-21-2013, 02:04 PM
With our schedule, I like our chances of winning the SEC this year. LSU will be a contender as always- they bring back Nola and their all-world SS with the ugly ass high top shoes.

Vandy has Tyler Beede coming back- and he is considered the top pitching prospect in the SEC.

South Carolina, and Florida will be good. I agree with engie about Alabama and Tennessee being better as well.

No mention of the University of Mississippi?

Are they really going to be that bad?

engie
11-21-2013, 02:09 PM
No mention of the University of Mississippi?

Are they really going to be that bad?

They are going to be what they always are under Bianco(since we were back on the map) -- a regional team that goes about .500 in the SEC. They've got some really good freshmen there that could potentially help out alot in year 1 -- but if you are relying on freshmen, you're already beat in alot of ways IMO.

Ronny
11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
They are going to be what they always are under Bianco(since we were back on the map) -- a regional team that goes about .500 in the SEC. They've got some really good freshmen there that could potentially help out alot in year 1 -- but if you are relying on freshmen, you're already beat in alot of ways IMO.

...is that no matter what Ole Miss is or is not returning, they will be ranked fairly high in the pre-season polls.

The pre-season pollsters love them some Ole Miss.

Schultzy
11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Well with more pop it should. Ignorance is still looked down upon in America.

Thanks to messageboardsuperhero I'm no longer ignorant. You, not so much.