01-12-2022, 05:48 PM
Tolu playing?

Hambone
01-12-2022, 06:19 PM
No
https://twitter.com/scoutstever/status/1481393572876333063?s=21

parabrave
01-12-2022, 06:36 PM
Well with Tolu out and watching OM getting Skulled last night by A@M Someone give me hope for tonight. Bueller, anyone

Extendedcab
01-12-2022, 06:37 PM
I heard he had a fracture in his little toe. Is that correct?

Cowbell
01-12-2022, 06:38 PM
Well with Tolu out and watching OM getting Skulled last night by A@M Someone give me hope for tonight. Bueller, anyone

Generally, Howland teams win a big game right when everyone is ready to give up on them for the season

Homedawg
01-12-2022, 06:38 PM
I heard he had a fracture in his little toe. Is that correct?

I have no clue. But he's out Bc of covid

RocketDawg
01-12-2022, 07:05 PM
Very small crowd again tonight.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 07:07 PM
Is the pace by design? We seem to really be going quicker than normal

parabrave
01-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Are the Students Back?

klong-dog
01-12-2022, 07:12 PM
And once again, getting smoked from the 3 point line.

CaptainObvious
01-12-2022, 07:14 PM
I see why we start so slow every game. We start 5 guys who can?t throw it in the ocean every game. Then we get behind and the law of averages eventually catch up.

EdwardDrayton
01-12-2022, 07:32 PM
Apparently we?re seeing another example of parity in the SEC. ****

MCsMGs
Tolu out with Covid. Students not back yet.

Maridian Dawg
Are the Students Back?

No. Classes don?t start until Tuesday, so I would expect them back for Saturday?s game.

msstate7
Garcia is horrible in traffic.

Homedawg
01-12-2022, 07:34 PM
Are the Students Back?

No

msstate7
01-12-2022, 07:38 PM
We have got to make better passes. There's been several times tonight when we have a nice shot set up but we make a pass that's just off so the defense recovers.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2022, 07:39 PM
Good to see Rocket playing better. We really need him to be the guy at the 2.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 07:39 PM
Good to see Rocket playing better. We really need him to be the guy at the 2.

Yeah, I'm getting worried about Moore

klong-dog
01-12-2022, 07:40 PM
We are painful to watch thus far. Leave a team like GA (desperate for a W) hanging around, we're asking for trouble. We know Howland doesn't do well in close games.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 07:44 PM
Who turned that ball over under the basket?

mparkerfd20
01-12-2022, 07:45 PM
It's amazing how much we suck. Hence no crowd support

CJDAWG85
01-12-2022, 07:47 PM
How the hell did we not hold for the last shot?

msstate7
01-12-2022, 07:48 PM
It's amazing how much we suck. H3nce no crowd support

But we don't suck by any metric out there. We certainly aren't great, but it's ridiculous to say we suck.

CJDAWG85
01-12-2022, 07:49 PM
This is proof of his bad Howland gets out coached. Way more talent? no idea what they are doing

MetEdDawg
01-12-2022, 07:50 PM
To me, losing a game like this is fireable. We won't do it, but Georgia is absolute dog shit.

Losing a game to this Georgia team at home would be an absolute embarrassment.

Pancho
Lose to this weak UGA team at home ain't a good look so maybe just call it something else similar to sux.

LC Dawg
We have one good player that plays and one good player that can't get on the court. The rest are all (while talented) players you can't trust. It's damn frustrating to watch.

CaptainObvious
01-12-2022, 07:51 PM
I literally saw nothing Howland did in that first half that lays the blame for these bricklayers, unless you blame him for signing them to a scholarship. They are just bad basketball players and it doesn?t take The Wizard of Westwood to see it. And I don?t care if Howland gets fired, but it ain?t all on him. They are just really bad shooters. Athletic ability has nothing to do with basketball if ya can?t put the biscuit in the basket. Usually the best athletes in basketball are the worst ball handlers. This team proves that.

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 07:56 PM
I literally saw nothing Howland did in that first half that lays the blame for these bricklayers, unless you blame him for signing them to a scholarship. They are just bad basketball players and it doesn?t take The Wizard of Westwood to see it. And I don?t care if Howland gets fired, but it ain?t all on him. They are just really bad shooters. Athletic ability has nothing to do with basketball if ya can?t put the biscuit in the basket. Usually the best athletes in basketball are the worst ball handlers. This team proves that.

Yep at the end of the day, put the ball in the basket. This is how these small schools play with the big boys.

I don't understand why we look so bad. We look lost on both ends of floor.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:04 PM
That's where brooks should be at, not the 3-pt line

HoopsDawg
01-12-2022, 08:05 PM

If people want to get mad at Howland, get mad at him for not finding a better guard to play with Molinar.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2022, 08:06 PM
It's amazing how much we suck. Hence no crowd support

Crowd is awful, but no students and I personally know 4 people that didn't go b/c they thought they would have to wear a mask all game.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Not Matthews beat the last few mins, took a 3 and allowed the put back.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:11 PM
Matthews man getting off rebs

HoopsDawg
01-12-2022, 08:11 PM
Not Matthews beat the last few mins, took a 3 and allowed the put back.

not blocking out is inexcusable.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:12 PM
Great rebound and pass, cam

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:13 PM
Davis' FT shootout improvement from last year is impressive

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:14 PM
We have got to def rebound better

RocketDawg
01-12-2022, 08:14 PM
Crowd is awful, but no students and I personally know 4 people that didn't go b/c they thought they would have to wear a mask all game.

The picture is dark, especially in the stands, but best I can tell not many are wearing masks.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:17 PM
Def rebounding is about to make me throw my phone thru my tv

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:19 PM
The picture is dark, especially in the stands, but best I can tell not many are wearing masks.

Well the school put out the stupid policy so I understand it hurting the crowd.

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:20 PM
Jeffries has been disappointing this year.

We just aren't playing with enough effort tonight.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:25 PM
Call the foul

RocketDawg
01-12-2022, 08:26 PM
Team seems to have perked up a little in the second half.

LC Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:27 PM
Molinar is talented but he also plays smarter than the rest of our guys.

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:28 PM
Davis has played well. We do need Tolu back soon tbough.

LC Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:28 PM
That was a nice feed by Garcia.

BayouDawg
01-12-2022, 08:29 PM
Our close outs on defense are so bad. Glad to see the team with some life in the second half though.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:31 PM
+8, do we save Jeffries with 4 fouls or use him now and try to really extend the lead?

msugolf
01-12-2022, 08:34 PM
Jeffries has been disappointing this year.

We just aren't playing with enough effort tonight.

DJ has a little Kodi Augustus in him... and not the good parts.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:34 PM
Nice play out TO

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:37 PM
Jeffries is an 11 pt 5 reb guy. He's been solid

BayouDawg
01-12-2022, 08:39 PM
Have looked much better defensively in the second half. Georgia was getting to the rim at will in the first half.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:41 PM
Have looked much better defensively in the second half. Georgia was getting to the rim at will in the first half.

Still haven't liked our def rebounding. I suppose tolu will clean that up

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:42 PM
I hope this is molinar's sec POY campaign starting up tonight

BayouDawg
01-12-2022, 08:43 PM
Still haven't liked our def rebounding. I suppose tolu will clean that up

Yea rebounding has been bad. Blocking out would go a long way

LC Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:43 PM
I agree. He's just not a game changer which is what we're missing with Tolu out.

CaptainObvious
01-12-2022, 08:44 PM
This team is pretty good for 20 minutes. As long as they are within 4 at the break, they can beat the bottom half.

RocketDawg
01-12-2022, 08:46 PM
I hope this is molinar's sec POY campaign starting up tonight

After that Alley Oop, he was fast going back downcourt. Smooth operator.

Irondawg
01-12-2022, 08:50 PM
Howland keeps falling into the trap of thinking he can make some good athletes into good basketball players and shooters and it just doesn't work that way. He pretty much ignores recruiting guys that aren't athletic enough in his eyes no matter if they can shoot lights out or note. You can't just recruit shooters but you have to have 1-2 of those guys on the roster like you have to have 1-2 big men that know they are there to play tough defense and rebound and not try to score 30 points.

RocketDawg
01-12-2022, 08:51 PM
The game turnd out well tonight. They really took charge in the second half.

Irondawg
01-12-2022, 08:53 PM
Good second half tonight for sure - just wish that would came out and play a bit more often

LC Dawg
01-12-2022, 08:54 PM
Nice second half. Molinar is a bad ass.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Win and covered

PGHBulldogBG
01-12-2022, 09:02 PM
First half was sloppy but came out and made up for it in the 2nd half. Good win now comes a brutal stretch but opportunities to improve the resume

RocketDawg
01-12-2022, 09:03 PM
Not worth a separate thread - but Florida is giving LSU a run for their money. Gators down 4 with just over a minute to play.

EdwardDrayton
01-12-2022, 09:11 PM
Not at all sure this ?Quad VI? win gives us any real hope for the next part of our schedule. Just seems to be more of the same Howland pattern.

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 09:16 PM

He's been OK. I expected him to be the #2 player.

He takes bad shots, gets lost on D a lot, doesn't block out much, effort is spotty and is sloppy with ball some.

I think Howland made a deal with him to let him play like a guard to prepare him for NBA which he will not make to get him to come here.

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Nice second half. Molinar is a bad ass.

Molinar can take over a game. We need him to play like the alpha dog that he is from here on out.

R2Dawg
01-12-2022, 09:18 PM
The game turnd out well tonight. They really took charge in the second half.

We took care of business. A loss would have been devastating. We got to get some Q1 wins the next 4-5 games. Lets start Saturday

Turfdawg67
01-12-2022, 09:21 PM
Good second half tonight for sure - just wish that would came out and play a bit more often

Leach gives the pre-game pep talk.***

Coach34
01-12-2022, 10:13 PM
We won by a big margin
We covered
All without our best player

Good night tonight

80 Dawg
01-12-2022, 10:26 PM
Anyone who was at the game know how anal they were about masks?

Ari Gold
01-13-2022, 12:12 AM
Anyone who was at the game know how anal they were about masks?

The Mask Police morons would have been highly upset tonight.
Bottom line is this..
If you were planning on coming to the game Sat but are having 2nd thoughts because of the ?mask mandate? , don?t think twice about it, Come to the game !! Wear your mask or shield or whatever, walk thru the doors, scan your ticket and then stick it in in ur pocket when you sit down. No one will say a word to you

Beat Bama

parabrave
01-13-2022, 12:14 AM
One thing I noticed in the Stats and that was Mol 11-18 from the field, 1-2 3s and 5-6 FT. Of the 11 5 were driving to the baskets. Hopefullt we continue to drive to the basket and draw the fouls.

Reunion Dog
01-13-2022, 02:35 AM
Howland had a hell of a true freshman or guard from Georgia and he ran his ass off. Starts for GA Tech now.

Ran his ass off.

This team is soft and has no leadership. Moore would be riding the bench for me. He sucks. Brooks is soft. Doesn?t want to bang down low. Garcia tries? but he is 2 steps slow. Jeffries isn?t even one of our top 6 players. He is slow and doesn?t hustle unless he thinks he can dunk.

Mathews hustles more than anyone else on this team. But he ain?t SEC material. And #1?. Where has THAT effort been all season long? He will never make it in the NBA. PERIOD?

The only thing positive about tonight? is we do know there is a worse team in the SEC? but they lead us at halftime.

We have been sold a bill of goods about how this team had such GREAT Chemistry and we had such unbelievable talent. 🐂💩

I wish we would show as much emotion DURING a game as much as they do AFTER a games when they r in the locker room yelling at each other in a damn circle jerk.

That while coaching staff can?t get out Starkville fast enough.
$2.5M for this crap.

The male cheerleader from Jackson Prep is STILL 17ing us.

parabrave
01-13-2022, 02:39 AM
Howland had a hell of a true freshman or guard from Georgia and he ran his ass off. Starts for GA Tech now.

Ran his ass off.

This team is soft and has no leadership. Moore would be riding the bench for me. He sucks. Brooks is soft. Doesn?t want to bang down low. Garcia tries? but he is 2 steps slow. Jeffries isn?t even one of our top 6 players. He is slow and doesn?t hustle unless he thinks he can dunk.

Mathews hustles more than anyone else on this team. But he ain?t SEC material. And #1?. Where has THAT effort been all season long? He will never make it in the NBA. PERIOD?

The only thing positive about tonight? is we do know there is a worse team in the SEC? but they lead us at halftime.

We have been sold a bill of goods about how this team had such GREAT Chemistry and we had such unbelievable talent. ����

I wish we would show as much emotion DURING a game as much as they do AFTER a games when they r in the locker room yelling at each other in a damn circle jerk.

$2.5M for this crap.

Well at least we ain't Missouri

msstate7
01-13-2022, 07:11 AM

Ran his ass off.

We have been sold a bill of goods about how this team had such GREAT Chemistry and we had such unbelievable talent. 🐂💩

$2.5M for this crap.

Smith avg 5 ppg at GT
Moore avg 10 ppg here

BigDawgB
01-13-2022, 07:41 AM
We won by a big margin
We covered
All without our best player

Good night tonight

Iverson played last night.

msstate7
01-13-2022, 08:17 AM
Iverson played last night.

I think Molinar is our best too; but when I see teams score with ease in the paint without tolu, I think maybe it's closer than I thought

NCMSTFAN
01-13-2022, 09:11 AM

Ran his ass off.

$2.5M for this crap.

Deivon Smith isn't doing much at Georgia Tech, I'd take Shakeel Moore over him.

I agree about Brooks he should be a double double every night, living here in NC I watched alot of his games and wished we had him when he played for UNC but I'm not seeing that same guy.

Same goes for Jeffries, he was highly rated coming out of high school, he should be the x factor for us but he just isn't consistent.

I disagree about Matthews he is definetly SEC material, he is really athletic and plays really good defense, every team needs a guy like him.

We do need Tolu Smith, he and Molinar are our best two players, this chemistry thing that was talked about all off season just hasn't happened yet but those two are consistent. I've taken up for Howland for years but I'm starting to feel different about him, this is his best team on paper since he has been at State and we just don't look very good, I'm glad we beat GA but they were 5-10 coming in, we were supposed to beat them. I hate to say it but I have lost alot of confidence in this team and the coaching staff

msstate7
01-13-2022, 09:56 AM
We won the game by 16 without one of our best players. Georgia came in with a bad record, but their game at Kentucky was basically a mirror of ours... Georgia down 4 at half, and Kentucky pulled away in 2nd half to win by 15 (92-77). Georgia. aTm hit a 3 with 1 second left to win by 2 at Georgia.

OM game was horrible, but I still think some of it was flukish (murrell). Not sure what else you guys want more than last night's solid win. We have a shot at a Q1 win Saturday, so maybe we should do our part to help instead of trashing this team all the time

And while we have a good team, we're far from great. LSU, auburn, and maybe Kentucky will run thru the sec, but the rest will have difficult games and yo yo for the most part. This is one heck of a conference now

Coach34
01-13-2022, 10:19 AM
We won the game by 16 without one of our best players. Georgia came in with a bad record, but their game at Kentucky was basically a mirror of ours... Georgia down 4 at half, and Kentucky pulled away in 2nd half to win by 15 (92-77). Georgia. aTm hit a 3 with 1 second left to win by 2 at Georgia.

OM game was horrible, but I still think some of it was flukish (murrell). Not sure what else you guys want more than last night's solid win. We have a shot at a Q1 win Saturday, so maybe we should do our part to help instead of trashing this team all the time

And while we have a good team, we're far from great. LSU, auburn, and maybe Kentucky will run thru the sec, but the rest will have difficult games and yo yo for the most part. This is one heck of a conference now

Bottom line is getting wins. We need to win Saturday. At Home, Bama doesnt defend very well. Really a must-win for us and Tourney hopes. Come out and support this team. Need this game

R2Dawg
01-13-2022, 01:54 PM
Deivon Smith isn't doing much at Georgia Tech, I'd take Shakeel Moore over him.

I agree about Brooks he should be a double double every night, living here in NC I watched alot of his games and wished we had him when he played for UNC but I'm not seeing that same guy.

Same goes for Jeffries, he was highly rated coming out of high school, he should be the x factor for us but he just isn't consistent.

I disagree about Matthews he is definetly SEC material, he is really athletic and plays really good defense, every team needs a guy like him.

We do need Tolu Smith, he and Molinar are our best two players, this chemistry thing that was talked about all off season just hasn't happened yet but those two are consistent. I've taken up for Howland for years but I'm starting to feel different about him, this is his best team on paper since he has been at State and we just don't look very good, I'm glad we beat GA but they were 5-10 coming in, we were supposed to beat them. I hate to say it but I have lost alot of confidence in this team and the coaching staff

I agree with all this - good post.
Moore is our best transfer.
Brooks and DJ have under performed.
Matthews is an work pal guy, every team needs one.
Tolu out really hurting us.
This year is put up or shut up in my opinion on Howland's coaching abilities.

thf24
01-13-2022, 02:08 PM

I didn't expect a ton from DJ, having watched him with Memphis the past few years and thinking he was being somewhat overrated by our people coming in, but I'm pretty disappointed with Brooks thus far. He wasn't All-ACC in 2020 for nothing, and despite the step back last year it seemed more likely than not he'd find that mojo again with only one more season to play for draft stock.

Renardo Sidney
01-13-2022, 02:33 PM
Some of you guys are forgetting the Rick Ray era. I?m excited we got an SEC win and have a great chance to make the tournament this year

OLJWales
01-13-2022, 03:40 PM
I didn't expect a ton from DJ, having watched him with Memphis the past few years and thinking he was being somewhat overrated by our people coming in, but I'm pretty disappointed with Brooks thus far. He wasn't All-ACC in 2020 for nothing, and despite the step back last year it seemed more likely than not he'd find that mojo again with only one more season to play for draft stock.

What grade would yall give Howland's Player Development?

NCMSTFAN
01-13-2022, 07:12 PM
I agree with all this - good post.
Moore is our best transfer.
Matthews is an work pal guy, every team needs one.
Tolu out really hurting us.
This year is put up or shut up in my opinion on Howland's coaching abilities.

Agreed, if Howland can't at least get this team to the tournament and possibly win a game or two it's probably time for change.

NCMSTFAN
01-13-2022, 07:22 PM
Some of you guys are forgetting the Rick Ray era. I?m excited we got an SEC win and have a great chance to make the tournament this year

We have been to the NCAA tournament one time under Howland and lost against Liberty. Howland has been at MSU since 2015.... Its 2022.. Yes Rick Ray was horrible but Howland hasn't lit the world on fire at State either. His resume is what keeps him relevant, let's face it he has put alot of players in the NBA to include Perry, Woodard and Q. Weatherspoon who have all played in NBA games this year. I actually like him, I just don't like the fact that he can't win regularly anymore.

I like the name by the way... I wonder what Sidney is up to now a days

msstate7
01-13-2022, 07:23 PM
Agreed, if Howland can't at least get this team to the tournament and possibly win a game or two it's probably time for change.

So if we make the tourney and lose 1st round, you'd fire him?

I'm reserving judgement on this team till we at least see tolu play 3 games in a row.

NCMSTFAN
01-13-2022, 08:31 PM
So if we make the tourney and lose 1st round, you'd fire him?

I'm reserving judgement on this team till we at least see tolu play 3 games in a row.

Ive never liked calling for coaches jobs, even if its obvious they need to be fired.. I said possibly time for change which can mean changing coaching styles, hiring some new up and coming assistants with fresh ideas etc... bottom line is Howland just hasn't been all that good. He has been a great recruiter I'll give him that... but 1 tournament appearance in almost 7 years is pretty bad. I'd love for him to change my mind back because I used to defend him all the time.... but I can't defend underachieving with this type talent

msstate7
01-13-2022, 09:10 PM
Ive never liked calling for coaches jobs, even if its obvious they need to be fired.. I said possibly time for change which can mean changing coaching styles, hiring some new up and coming assistants with fresh ideas etc... bottom line is Howland just hasn't been all that good. He has been a great recruiter I'll give him that... but 1 tournament appearance in almost 7 years is pretty bad. I'd love for him to change my mind back because I used to defend him all the time.... but I can't defend underachieving with this type talent

As of today, he's in if you trust lunardi. I won't hold the first 3 years against him... hell, it took a monster of a coach (Pearl) 4 years to get auburn in. It also took howland 4 years to get us in. Year 5, the tourney was canceled, so who knows if he'd have made it or not. Year 6 was retooling, and we did better than we were projected. So, I think he's made it 1 out of the 2 judgeable years since 1 was canceled. Now, he needs to make it this year.

I do think he's underachieved in relation to the talent he's had, but you have to ask yourself who else could get these players here. If you get better coaching, but less talent, have you accomplished anything?

Our best outcome is howland make the tourney this year and next, and then retire. Our job is much more attractive for the next hire esp considering the hump will be renovated.

ETA... in the judgeable years (last 4), we're 77-53 (30-26). I think most people outside of miss st circles see this as pretty solid

Coach34
01-13-2022, 09:17 PM
Howland has no excuse to not make the Tourney. I dont care if Tolu plays or not. I'm behind him altho I cant stand that we dont mix up anything on D. That sagging ass M2M D 24/7 with no trapping or pressing is so 1990's. It makes me wonder wtf we do at practice day after day.

This team should make the Tourney. That would make 2 times in 6 seasons and could have been 3 times in 7 seasons depending how 2020 panned out. We were looking good down the stretch that year. That would make the last 5 seasons:

NIT Semis
NCAA
2020 what could have been
NIT Finals
NCAA

That means our program is where it needs to be

msstate7
01-13-2022, 09:20 PM
Howland has no excuse to not make the Tourney. I dont care if Tolu plays or not. I'm behind him altho I cant stand that we dont mix up anything on D. That sagging ass M2M D 24/7 with no trapping or pressing is so 1990's. It makes me wonder wtf we do at practice day after day.

This team should make the Tourney. That would make 2 times in 6 seasons and could have been 3 times in 7 seasons depending how 2020 panned out. We were looking good down the stretch that year. That would make the last 5 seasons:

NIT Semis
NCAA
2020 what could have been
NIT Finals
NCAA

That means our program is where it needs to be

I agree. I don't see how we can realistically be unhappy with the program if we make it this year

maroonmania
01-13-2022, 09:26 PM
Glad we won last night but we still haven't proven anything. We've lost to every team with a pulse we have played so far this season. And we've lost to Ole Miss who doesn't have a pulse. I've tried really hard to stay on the Howland bandwagon but I've finally fallen off. He got several good transfers in but failed in his biggest recruiting job when he lost DJ Stewart who wasnt even in line to get drafted.

Coach34
01-13-2022, 09:50 PM
but failed in his biggest recruiting job when he lost DJ Stewart who wasnt even in line to get drafted.

DJ Stewart would rather play in NBA minors or make 100K overseas than play for Miss State. You cant blame Howland for that. Thats ridiculous

NCMSTFAN
01-13-2022, 10:48 PM
As of today, he's in if you trust lunardi. I won't hold the first 3 years against him... hell, it took a monster of a coach (Pearl) 4 years to get auburn in. It also took howland 4 years to get us in. Year 5, the tourney was canceled, so who knows if he'd have made it or not. Year 6 was retooling, and we did better than we were projected. So, I think he's made it 1 out of the 2 judgeable years since 1 was canceled. Now, he needs to make it this year.

I do think he's underachieved in relation to the talent he's had, but you have to ask yourself who else could get these players here. If you get better coaching, but less talent, have you accomplished anything?

Our best outcome is howland make the tourney this year and next, and then retire. Our job is much more attractive for the next hire esp considering the hump will be renovated.

ETA... in the judgeable years (last 4), we're 77-53 (30-26). I think most people outside of miss st circles see this as pretty solid

Good points, and your right he has brought alot of talent to Starkville, good recruiting typically outweighs good coaching in basketball. That's why it's so hard for me to understand why we aren't better every year. Look at our roster over the past few years, it's full of 4 star guys and even some 5 star players to include a couple McDonald's AA's in Newman and Perry, but it never panned out

Cowbell
01-13-2022, 11:10 PM
I agree. I don't see how we can realistically be unhappy with the program if we make it this year

If Bucky is wills dad, you are howland jr. Our basketball offense is more boring and vanilla than our football offense....

thf24
01-13-2022, 11:49 PM
Our basketball offense is more boring and vanilla than our football offense....

There's nothing wrong with our offense. It's pretty typical by college standards. It's fair to argue that we don't do much to adjust when we start to struggle against particular defensive looks or get in a cold shooting spell, but even then we're in the top 20% in points per game in D1, so it's not like we're struggling to score enough night in and night out.

MoreCowbell
01-14-2022, 01:04 AM
If we win Saturday I will be on board. I have just seen this same thing for 6 years, anytime we have some momentum we lose. A win Saturday will get our fans to buy in this season but you already know we are going to lose to Alabama. If we win it will be the first time under Howland I can remember beating a team that is better than us following a win.

klong-dog
01-14-2022, 04:26 AM
Yup. Unfortunately, Alabama coming in having lost 2 straight will be the more desperate team Saturday night. They'll play like it... while we go thru the motions to play it close and whatever happens happens. No sense of urgency until it's too late.

msstate7
01-14-2022, 07:33 AM
If Bucky is wills dad, you are howland jr. Our basketball offense is more boring and vanilla than our football offense....

And his beneficiary, thus I need a few more years for dad

msstate7
01-14-2022, 07:36 AM
If we win Saturday I will be on board. I have just seen this same thing for 6 years, anytime we have some momentum we lose. A win Saturday will get our fans to buy in this season but you already know we are going to lose to Alabama. If we win it will be the first time under Howland I can remember beating a team that is better than us following a win.

We just need 1 of the next 2. I think we may matchup better with Florida on the road than bama at home.

msstate7
01-14-2022, 08:02 AM
Pretty big game for us tonight, Davidson (net #38) at Richmond (net #104). Line is Richmond -1, and game is on espnu at 8

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2022, 08:19 AM

I agree completely. This is probably Howland's biggest game at MSU, not for NCAA purposes (Even though it helps that also), but just winning a big game against a rival, at home. I can't think of many big games he's won at MSU but this is one he has to get, especially if he wants fans in the stands. Bama is talented, but so are we. They have lost two games in a row so they are coming in very hungry but we have to be even more hungry. No excuses, we need to find a way to get this win.

Pancho
01-14-2022, 08:21 AM
What are Howland's Offensive options if Bama limits Iverson from driving to the hole as he did vs UGA?

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2022, 08:22 AM
We just need 1 of the next 2. I think we may matchup better with Florida on the road than bama at home.

I think beating Bama at home gives us the momentum we need to possibly make a run. Yes the Florida game is important but a home win against a ranked rival goes a long way, especially to fans.

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2022, 08:25 AM
What are Howland's Offensive options if Bama limits Iverson from driving to the hole as he did vs UGA?

His offensive options should be Tolu (if healthy) and DJ Jeffries...... but as I mentioned in another post Jeffries has not been consistent enough for us. He has the tools to be the x factor guy but he hasn't taken on that role. JD Davis will play hard against his former team also. Guys like Rocket and Moore can also both heat up but again, they aren't consistent enough.

msstate7
01-14-2022, 08:39 AM
I think beating Bama at home gives us the momentum we need to possibly make a run. Yes the Florida game is important but a home win against a ranked rival goes a long way, especially to fans.

Well, I would much prefer the name game, but 3 pointers generally hurt us, so i think bama is a bad matchup. Who knows though? ESPN BPI has us 59.9% favorite

msstate7
01-14-2022, 08:48 AM
Hopefully we have tolu tomorrow. If so, this is our lineup and ppg...

Molinar 17.5
Moore 10.5
Jeffries 10.7
Brooks 10.8
Tolu 14.2 (SSS)

That's a really ideal scoring spread imo

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2022, 10:22 AM
Hopefully we have tolu tomorrow. If so, this is our lineup and ppg...

Molinar 17.5
Moore 10.5
Jeffries 10.7
Brooks 10.8
Tolu 14.2 (SSS)

That's a really ideal scoring spread imo

Getting Tolu back is key, I didn't know how much better he was than Brooks until I saw how different they play. Tolu is a dog.... we really need him. If Brooks isn't playing well I'd like to see JD Davis get some more time, he plays really hard every game and every play, plus he is going up against his former team. He gave us 12 points and 6 rebounds against GA last game as well so he has a little momentum going into that game.

R2Dawg
01-14-2022, 01:21 PM
I agree completely. This is probably Howland's biggest game at MSU, not for NCAA purposes (Even though it helps that also), but just winning a big game against a rival, at home. I can't think of many big games he's won at MSU but this is one he has to get, especially if he wants fans in the stands. Bama is talented, but so are we. They have lost two games in a row so they are coming in very hungry but we have to be even more hungry. No excuses, we need to find a way to get this win.

It is not a must win even though it feels like it. We do need to win 3 of next 4 for sure. Staring at home with a Q1 win would be best way to do that.

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2022, 01:48 PM
It is not a must win even though it feels like it. We do need to win 3 of next 4 for sure. Staring at home with a Q1 win would be best way to do that.

Agree, not a must win this early in SEC play but a really big game. Momentum plays part in that as well, if we can string 4 or 5 wins together it builds confidence and chemistry and puts us in the driver's seat.

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2022, 06:30 PM
Not related to this game but Boston College played Georgia tech yesterday...

Quinten Post had 24 points and 9 rebounds for BC
Deivon Smith had 9 pts for Tech

Where was this from Post while he was at State?

msstate7
01-14-2022, 07:11 PM
Not related to this game but Boston College played Georgia tech yesterday...

Quinten Post had 24 points and 9 rebounds for BC
Deivon Smith had 9 pts for Tech

Where was this from Post while he was at State?

Post - 9.4 ppg 5.3 reb
Smith - 5.4 ppg 2.0 assists