PDA

View Full Version : Joe judge fired

PikeDawg15
01-11-2022, 05:32 PM
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1481030287073193994?s=21

How many nfl coaches fired in the last 72 hours does this make now?

DownwardDawg
01-11-2022, 06:44 PM
Just preparing for our job in another year.

CovertDawg
01-11-2022, 07:06 PM
His last couple of postgame interviews were wild. You could tell he was feeling the pressure. Not sure where he resurfaces....but I would take him as Special Teams coach. ha

BeardoMSU
01-11-2022, 07:13 PM
His last couple of postgame interviews were wild. You could tell he was feeling the pressure. Not sure where he resurfaces....but I would take him as Special Teams coach. ha

That QB sneak on 3rd and 9 and his post-game justification for it were also bizarre.

Hambone
01-11-2022, 07:25 PM
Let me guess, Kiffin is the front runner?

Cooterpoot
01-11-2022, 07:34 PM
Man, Cohen really hired Morehead and attempted to follow that up with Joe Judge. Holy Shit!

bulldawg28
01-11-2022, 07:48 PM
Man, Cohen really hired Morehead and attempted to follow that up with Joe Judge. Holy Shit!

Exactly!

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2022, 08:11 PM

This is the guy people want to hire Howland's replacement.

confucius say
01-11-2022, 08:14 PM

I mean I didn't like the idea of a judge hire here.

But success or failure in the nfl is not indicative of college success.

Cowbell
01-11-2022, 08:22 PM

Dude, it was a straight cluster from Day 1

confucius say
01-11-2022, 08:36 PM
Dude, it was a straight cluster from Day 1

So was Saban. He had players quitting in training camp and his locker room fell apart.

So was kiffin.

I'm not saying judge would win in college. But lots of coaches have failed in the nfl in their first gig before being good in college or later in the nfl, including Carroll and belichek.

WhiskeyPirate
01-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Let me guess, Kiffin is the front runner?

At this point Kiffins agent is pimping him for each and every high profile opening, and most of the jobs mentioned weren’t even seriously considering Kiffin.....so I’d take this with a grain of salt.

confucius say
01-11-2022, 08:41 PM
At this point Kiffins agent is pimping him for each and every high profile opening, and most of the jobs mentioned weren’t even seriously considering Kiffin.....so I’d take this with a grain of salt.

Is that why he's lost so many assistants?

Jack Lambert
01-11-2022, 09:01 PM
OLe MIss will have to hire him. ******

WhiskeyPirate
01-11-2022, 09:32 PM
Is that why he's lost so many assistants?

No idea but something isn’t right with that program

viverlibre
01-11-2022, 09:37 PM
So was Saban. He had players quitting in training camp and his locker room fell apart.

So was kiffin.

I'm not saying judge would win in college. But lots of coaches have failed in the nfl in their first gig before being good in college or later in the nfl, including Carroll and belichek.

Saban, Spurrier, Meyer, Pete Carroll, Bill O'Brien and and many successful colleges coaches got chewed up and spit out by the NFL. I believe coaching in the NFL is many times harder than college. Certainly Joe was not ready for a NFL HC job, but he can learn from his experience and improve. He probably needs to go through the Saban car wash.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2022, 09:52 PM
Saban, Spurrier, Meyer, Pete Carroll, Bill O'Brien and and many successful colleges coaches got chewed up and spit out by the NFL. I believe coaching in the NFL is many times harder than college. Certainly Joe was not ready for a NFL HC job, but he can learn from his experience and improve. He probably needs to go through the Saban car wash.

All of those guys were successful College coaches though. Also Pete Carroll & Bill O'Brien weren't terrible in the NFL. Judge has been out of college ball for a decade. It would've been a dumb hire. A HC who's not an OC or DC with limited college experience from a decade ago & no real college ties or recruiting prowess. This is after the Moorhead hire. The Giants may have saved our program.

Todd4State
01-11-2022, 10:02 PM
All of those guys were successful College coaches though. Also Pete Carroll & Bill O'Brien weren't terrible in the NFL. Judge has been out of college ball for a decade. It would've been a dumb hire. A HC who's not an OC or DC with limited college experience from a decade ago & no real college ties or recruiting prowess. This is after the Moorhead hire. The Giants may have saved our program.

A lot of people thought the same about Coach O, Sam Pittman, and Shane Beamer.

In college you can either succeed with a Dan Mullen/Mike Leach type. Or you can get a Pittman/Beamer type and succeed IF you hire elite coordinators and recruiters.

Judge would have fallen into the Coach O/Sam Pittman type.

In the NFL success is mostly determined by the players on the roster. Even the greats of all time- Bellichick, Walsh, Lombardi and etc. struggled when they didn't have talent on the roster.

Now, that said I do think Judge was a little young for our job much less a NFL head coaching job. I just don't think he was ready based on his resume. Especially when compared to a Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay who both grew up in NFL coaching families and were OC's. Ultimately this experience will help Judge going forward. Someone in the NFL will hire him as an assistant and he will hopefully work his way up like he should have and was on his way to doing before he took the Giants job.

Hambone
01-11-2022, 10:06 PM

I was being sarcastic, but knew his agent would have his name thrown out

Cooterpoot
01-11-2022, 10:56 PM

He embarrassed the franchise and people within the NFL media circle think he's an idiot.

Cooterpoot
01-11-2022, 11:00 PM

In college you can either succeed with a Dan Mullen/Mike Leach type. Or you can get a Pittman/Beamer type and succeed IF you hire elite coordinators and recruiters.

In the NFL success is mostly determined by the players on the roster. Even the greats of all time- Bellichick, Walsh, Lombardi and etc. struggled when they didn't have talent on the roster.

Now, that said I do think Judge was a little young for our job much less a NFL head coaching job. I just don't think he was ready based on his resume. Especially when compared to a Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay who both grew up in NFL coaching families and were OC's. Ultimately this experience will help Judge going forward. Someone in the NFL will hire him as an assistant and he will hopefully work his way up like he should have and was on his way to doing before he took the Giants job.

Orgeron got a generationally good QB transfer in and had two incredible coaches running his offense and defense that was left over from the previous coach for the most part. Look how fast he got fired. He was a damn joke that fell into an incredible situation. He didn't make LSU, it made him. What the hell has Pittman and Beamer done? Beamer didn't beat a team with a winning record.

Todd4State
01-11-2022, 11:18 PM
Orgeron got a generationally good QB transfer in and had two incredible coaches running his offense and defense that was left over from the previous coach for the most part. Look how fast he got fired. He was a damn joke that fell into an incredible situation. He didn't make LSU, it made him. What the hell has Pittman and Beamer done? Beamer didn't beat a team with a winning record.

Name one coach that wins with bad players? Why is that a criticism of a coach? He certainly could have Joe Mo'd it there and he didn't. He was fired because of off the field issues and would still be their coach had they not had major things going on off the field that could have made them the SEC version of Penn State. Let's not forget that Coach O was successful as an interim at USC and had a 9 and 10 win season before 2019 and also led LSU to a 6 wins after he was named interim coach and got them to the Citrus Bowl.

Pittman had a really good season this year and basically beat all of their rivals. He has done a good job considering where Arkansas was when he took over. I'm pretty sure 99% of our fans would take a season the equivalent of what they had this year with you apparently being in the 1%

Beamer took over a program that won 2 games last year and 4 the year before and had a winning season without a QB. That's in year one and odds are good that he will be at least competitive with the other teams in the SEC East based on what he is doing.

Who would you hire realistically at MSU that could produce better results than that since those three are such bad coaches?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2022, 11:21 PM

You named 3 coaches who were basically lifetime college coaches who had reputations of very good to elite recruiters. So at worst you knew they would accumulate talent even if they couldn't coach. Judge doesn't have that. It would've been a terrible hire.

Todd4State
01-11-2022, 11:31 PM
You named 3 coaches who were basically lifetime college coaches who had reputations of very good to elite recruiters. So at worst you knew they would accumulate talent even if they couldn't coach. Judge doesn't have that. It would've been a terrible hire.

And all three had success.

Would have completely depended on who he hired. Which is a complete unknown. What we do know is MSU has shown that we can hire elite coordinators even going back to the Jackie Sherrill days and I don't think Cohen would mind overpaying on coordinators especially if he can save money on the head coach. Then it's a matter of hiring elite recruiters. And we absolutely have the ability to do that.

So, at the end of the day it's all about how we decide to go about it. Try to outscheme everyone with a Mullen, Moorhead, or Leach and maybe sacrifice some recruiting acumen or get someone like a Pittman with really good recruiters. Either way works for me.

The good thing is IF we ever do hire Judge he will have head coaching experience. Plus whatever else happens between now and then.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2022, 11:39 PM
And all three had success.

Would have completely depended on who he hired. Which is a complete unknown. What we do know is MSU has shown that we can hire elite coordinators even going back to the Jackie Sherrill days and I don't think Cohen would mind overpaying on coordinators especially if he can save money on the head coach. Then it's a matter of hiring elite recruiters. And we absolutely have the ability to do that.

So, at the end of the day it's all about how we decide to go about it. Try to outscheme everyone with a Mullen, Moorhead, or Leach and maybe sacrifice some recruiting acumen or get someone like a Pittman with really good recruiters. Either way works for me.

The good thing is IF we ever do hire Judge he will have head coaching experience. Plus whatever else happens between now and then.

If Joe Judge graduated from Penn St instead of MSU he doesn't sniff an interview or the respect by MSU fans for being a terrible HC in the NFL.

Cooterpoot
01-12-2022, 12:14 AM
Judge got completely taken apart by the NFL media insiders for being arrogant, out of control, and just plain terrible coaching. He attempted to throw everyone under the bus he could. His players turned on him. He's no HC at any level and he's going to have a tough time getting another shot.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2022, 02:30 AM
If Joe Judge graduated from Penn St instead of MSU he doesn't sniff an interview or the respect by MSU fans for being a terrible HC in the NFL.

Judge seems like a moron, but I can't get mad at Cohen for thinking outside the box. Let's hire a Deion Sanders or someone undiscovered. All we are gambling with is 7-5.

TNDawg35
01-12-2022, 06:06 AM
Name one coach that wins with bad players? Why is that a criticism of a coach? He certainly could have Joe Mo'd it there and he didn't. He was fired because of off the field issues and would still be their coach had they not had major things going on off the field that could have made them the SEC version of Penn State. Let's not forget that Coach O was successful as an interim at USC and had a 9 and 10 win season before 2019 and also led LSU to a 6 wins after he was named interim coach and got them to the Citrus Bowl.

Pittman had a really good season this year and basically beat all of their rivals. He has done a good job considering where Arkansas was when he took over. I'm pretty sure 99% of our fans would take a season the equivalent of what they had this year with you apparently being in the 1%

Beamer took over a program that won 2 games last year and 4 the year before and had a winning season without a QB. That's in year one and odds are good that he will be at least competitive with the other teams in the SEC East based on what he is doing.

Who would you hire realistically at MSU that could produce better results than that since those three are such bad coaches?

While I agree whole heartedly with what you said about O, Pittman is tied to Briles and Odom. I honestly think more Briles than Odom. He made a homerun hire in him and better hope he keeps him. If he looses him, he better make a hell of a hire again or they will go down hill quick like O did... When you have a CEO coach, he lives or dies by his coordinators. Coach O died with his this year (and the off field stuff), while Pittman has kept his so far and looks good. I also believe he generally wants to be there at Arkansas and that makes all the difference.

TNDawg35
01-12-2022, 06:07 AM
Judge seems like a moron, but I can't get mad at Cohen for thinking outside the box. Let's hire a Deion Sanders or someone undiscovered. All we are gambling with is 7-5.

This right here. What do we have to loose. Play the media game. Everyone else does.

bulldawg28
01-12-2022, 07:24 AM

This all day. The maroon glasses are darker than normal.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2022, 07:59 AM

In a normal circumstance maybe but we were just coming off the failed moorhead experiment. We needed a hire that wasn't a total crapshoot. If you're making this hire after Mullen it makes a little more sense.

msstate7
01-12-2022, 08:06 AM

Man, we'd get some players with prime time. Still not sure he's a good coach get though

BrunswickDawg
01-12-2022, 08:22 AM
In a normal circumstance maybe but we were just coming off the failed moorhead experiment. We needed a hire that wasn't a total crapshoot. If you're making this hire after Mullen it makes a little more sense.

If Judge had been a college coach his whole career he might have been worth a gamble for us. But I think there are just too many aspects of the game that are different to take a risk on an inexperienced pro coach at a school like MSU.
Beamer to me would have been a much safer bet because of this. Not that it really matters since we ended up with Leach and dodged a bullet with Judge.

Coach34
01-12-2022, 09:59 AM
A few things in this thread:

Judge doesnt need to be a HC at State. ST coordinator? Sure
Had Saban not gotten screwed over by the team Dr's and had Drew Brees as his QB- Saban's NFL career would have lasted longer.
Bill O'Brien was decent in the NFL and Carroll has a damn SB.
Beamer has SC off to a decent start. Let's see where he goes. He is the son of a very successful coach so that carries some weight
Pittman is the perfect HC. He is very personable and recruits hard. Let's his coaches coach. He shakes babies and kisses hands- all the PR stuff needed as a HC. He brings excitement. I think he does well at UPig.
Nobody has won in Washington since Snyder took over the franchise, but Spurrier just isnt an NFL guy. Just like Leach wouldnt be.

We'll see what happens with Leach. From Cohen's perspective- he's a veteran coach that has won. While a gamble in the SEC- you can see why he went that route. It's a calculated gamble. We got better in Year 2. Thats what you are looking for. Year 3 will be even more revealing with a veteran offense and some returning talent on D. We'll be rated middle of the pack to begin next season- so a 7-8 win expectation.

Dak Holliday
01-12-2022, 05:07 PM

Deion is a bigger brand than almost any college football team. His recruiting would be better here than we?ve ever seen. As long as he hired good coordinators and stayed out of the way, he?d be a phenomenal hire.

TheLostDawg
01-12-2022, 05:23 PM
Deion is a bigger brand than almost any college football team. His recruiting would be better here than we?ve ever seen. As long as he hired good coordinators and stayed out of the way, he?d be a phenomenal hire.

No way he would stay and we'd be going through the same thing with Mullen but at a time everyone can transfer out and I bet he'd pull every big time recruit with him when he left

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2022, 09:38 AM

Had Saban not gotten screwed over by the team Dr's and had Drew Brees as his QB- Saban's NFL career would have lasted longer.
Beamer has SC off to a decent start. Let's see where he goes. He is the son of a very successful coach so that carries some weight
Pittman is the perfect HC. He is very personable and recruits hard. Let's his coaches coach. He shakes babies and kisses hands- all the PR stuff needed as a HC. He brings excitement. I think he does well at UPig.
Nobody has won in Washington since Snyder took over the franchise, but Spurrier just isnt an NFL guy. Just like Leach wouldnt be.

We'll see what happens with Leach. From Cohen's perspective- he's a veteran coach that has won. While a gamble in the SEC- you can see why he went that route. It's a calculated gamble. We got better in Year 2. Thats what you are looking for. Year 3 will be even more revealing with a veteran offense and some returning talent on D. We'll be rated middle of the pack to begin next season- so a 7-8 win expectation.

SO what is your expectation for next year with Leach? Do you think Leach will work out or are we still just kicking the can down the road? I am still not 100% sold (Moorhead made me gun shy) but I am happy with the direction we are going. I was also fairly happy with recruiting this year also.

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2022, 09:39 AM
No way he would stay and we'd be going through the same thing with Mullen but at a time everyone can transfer out and I bet he'd pull every big time recruit with him when he left

This is one of the biggest positives with Leach for me. I think we could be his last stop. I don't see him looking to go anywhere else barring something crazy.

Coach34
01-14-2022, 11:13 AM
SO what is your expectation for next year with Leach? Do you think Leach will work out or are we still just kicking the can down the road? I am still not 100% sold (Moorhead made me gun shy) but I am happy with the direction we are going. I was also fairly happy with recruiting this year also.

Expect us to meet or exceed expectations- should be an 8 win team. We not beating Bama or Jawja but should compete well with the other 10.

A&M will be good but its home
LSU is transitioning but still has decent talent
Mississippi has been gutted
UPig will be pretty good but its home
Auburn will be decent but its home
Kentucky will be tough on the road but you cant just put an auto-L there yet

So our SEC road games are against winnable opponents and our tougher opponents are at home. Works well for us in 2022 to make some noise

RiverCityDawg
01-14-2022, 11:54 AM
Expect us to meet or exceed expectations- should be an 8 win team. We not beating Bama or Jawja but should compete well with the other 10.

A&M will be good but its home
LSU is transitioning but still has decent talent
Mississippi has been gutted
UPig will be pretty good but its home
Auburn will be decent but its home
Kentucky will be tough on the road but you cant just put an auto-L there yet

So our SEC road games are against winnable opponents and our tougher opponents are at home. Works well for us in 2022 to make some noise

Agree. 8 regular season wins including the egg should be the minimum expectation. I'm not saying we should fire him for less, but I don't see how less could be considered a successful season all things considered.

Catfish
01-14-2022, 12:20 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://fbschedules.com/2022-mississippi-state-football-schedule/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwix1Yip3bH1AhWkIkQIHd3TBbEQFnoECAkQAg&usg=AOvVaw31u656HnzM2YNIH2NqUR7g

8 wins would be solid. We've got a tough schedule next year. Could be 7, could be 9. Good kicker is a must.

TrapGame
01-14-2022, 12:35 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://fbschedules.com/2022-mississippi-state-football-schedule/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwix1Yip3bH1AhWkIkQIHd3TBbEQFnoECAkQAg&usg=AOvVaw31u656HnzM2YNIH2NqUR7g

8 wins would be solid. We've got a tough schedule next year. Could be 7, could be 9. Good kicker is a must.

We were a decent kicker away from 9 regular season wins. We are catching a couple of teams with some serious rebuilding next year. Anything less than 8 wins will be a major disappointment.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-14-2022, 12:52 PM
We were a decent kicker away from 9 regular season wins. We are catching a couple of teams with some serious rebuilding next year. Anything less than 8 wins will be a major disappointment.

I agree

TheLostDawg
01-14-2022, 02:21 PM

Did Arkansas lose any major staff members

WPS
01-14-2022, 03:31 PM
Did Arkansas lose any major staff members

Not yet, but Briles is flirting with Miami. Arkansas is trying to work on a raise for him but has to get through negotiations with Pittman's raise first so it may be a while.

BuckyIsAB****
01-14-2022, 08:50 PM

I know you hate him or at least arent a big fan..but you know In your heart of hearts it is only a matter of time before Leach has that big season he always does.

I will go on record saying he is one of the best coaches in America and he was by FAR the best option we had. Napier is about to sink or swim he was not nearly as proven as Leach. All that said, If I could pick one coach in the country to have at State it would be Mike Gundy.

Coach34
01-14-2022, 09:07 PM
I know you hate him or at least arent a big fan..but you know In your heart of hearts it is only a matter of time before Leach has that big season he always does.

I will go on record saying he is one of the best coaches in America and he was by FAR the best option we had.

I dont hate Leach at all. I think he is hilarious and we agree politically. He has been successful as a HC. Nobody disputes that.

I dont like the offense. It's boring as shit bordering on Croom-level as far as being interesting. But if he can make it work at State? More power to him. I dont like Howland's generic M2M D- but if it works? Roll on. I dont like the fact that we leave SP's in too long on the reg in baseball- but if they keep winning- I dont care.

If Leach has a special season in 2022? I'll be a happy mf'er. The schedule and our team is set up for it.