PDA

View Full Version : Sylvester Croom

SteelCurtain74
01-10-2022, 05:58 PM
was named to the 2022 College Football Hall of Fame class

Mississippi State Football (@HailStateFB) Tweeted:
Congratulations to Coach Sylvester Croom on being named to the 2022 class of the College Football Hall of Fame!

#HailState🐶 https://t.co/0cHumbU2F3 https://twitter.com/HailStateFB/status/1480648625973645316?s=20

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 06:14 PM
Ugh...

Did he give an acceptance speech? I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to reminiscent on how great Alabama is, and how we were never good enough for him, while also throwing us under the bus for not giving him more time. No sarcasterisks, lol.

OLJWales
01-10-2022, 06:18 PM
Woulda Been Great had he been HC Material.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2022, 06:43 PM
Yeah imagine how great this would've been if he was actually HC material. To bad he wasn't.

Fader21
01-10-2022, 06:52 PM
Happy for Coach Croom. He is being inducted as a player I believe. Even though he wasn't a good HC, he was still a good player and good football coach.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 06:56 PM
he was still a good player and good football coach.

No.

CadaverDawg
01-10-2022, 06:58 PM
I took a Croom the other day, and wiped my Templeton with some toilet paper

was21
01-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Seriously...why

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 07:06 PM

https://c.tenor.com/mgNNBbt7kesAAAAM/clapping-applause.gif

CadaverDawg
01-10-2022, 07:11 PM
https://c.tenor.com/mgNNBbt7kesAAAAM/clapping-applause.gif

https://c.tenor.com/l5s-_v7HkRsAAAAM/elvis-presley-dance-move.gif

Dawgbite
01-10-2022, 07:25 PM

Post of the day!

Fader21
01-10-2022, 08:31 PM
No.

You don't make it to the NFL, NFL OC, Head Coach in the SEC without being a good football coach.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 08:35 PM
You don't make it to the NFL, NFL OC, Head Coach in the SEC without being a good football coach.

There's a list as long as my leg of people who fail upwards in America.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 08:38 PM

And he had zero business being a HC in the SEC....and his record and attitude (both during and after) support that statement.

But of course we hired him and let him torpedo our already sinking ship.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2022, 08:41 PM
And he had zero business being a HC in the SEC....and his record and attitude (both during and after) support that statement.

Yep.

Fader21
01-10-2022, 09:21 PM

Whether or not on if he should of been a SEC Head Coach, doesn't mean he wasn't a good football coach.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 09:39 PM
Whether or not on if he should of been a SEC Head Coach, doesn't mean he wasn't a good football coach.

Whatever. Sure. If YOU say so.

He was a position coach in the NFL. You said "OC", but admittedly I'm unaware of him in that position (let alone what success he had....I'd bet blind it was far from great, btw). That being said...

He should've NEVER been given the keys to our program. And he should've been thankful he had them. Instead, he lamented not getting the Bama gig, never thought we were good enough to be graced with his presence, never had a competent offense, refused to adapt and make changes, and threw us under the GD bus when we finally pulled the plug.

He maybe a good person and decent "football guy" (probably a more appropriate euphemism instead of your "good football coach" moniker)...

..but he exuded entitlement and total delusion while the HC of MSU.

****. Him. (I really can't say that more emphatically)

Fader21
01-10-2022, 11:04 PM
He was the OC for the Lions during the late 90s. He was in the NFL for over 20 years. Sorry if you think a decent football guy can hang in the league for that amount of time then you really don't know football.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 11:09 PM
He was the OC for the Lions during the late 90s. He was in the NFL for over 20 years. Sorry if you think a decent football guy can hang in the league for that amount of time then you really don't know football.

Let the Lions celebrate him then.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2022, 11:13 PM
you really don't know football.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/862/171/6171862.jpg

^^^^^^This guy does, though, lol...

https://media.giphy.com/media/1PIGU0cftC2pG/giphy.gif

Cowbell
01-10-2022, 11:35 PM
Is this for his playing career?!

Fader21
01-10-2022, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=BeardoMSU;1403086]https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/862/171/6171862.jpg

^^^^^^This guy does, though, lol...

Yeah the guy that has won a National Title as a player, a 20 year coaching vet in the NFL, an SEC head coach, SEC COY, Works for the Senior Bowl. Yeah,He doesn't know much about coaching** What have you done in your coaching career?

Turfdawg67
01-10-2022, 11:45 PM
Happy for Coach Croom. He is being inducted as a player I believe. Even though he wasn't a good HC, he was still a good player and good football coach.

And a great man. Congrats Sly!

bulldawg28
01-11-2022, 12:11 AM
A great man, terrible college coach!

Todd4State
01-11-2022, 01:56 AM
I will say this- if I had to hire a running backs coach I would hire Sylvester Croom.

As a head coach- not so much. He has coached some pretty impressive running backs like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, and Derrick Henry.

TUSK
01-11-2022, 02:09 AM
No.

ahem....

FISHDAWG
01-11-2022, 08:28 AM

yep ... he was a baby sitter while we were on probation ... Much like Matt Luke was

Lord McBuckethead
01-11-2022, 08:43 AM
Sure you do. Exhibit A - Croom.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-11-2022, 08:43 AM

You can't be serious right ?

First of all, plenty of terrible coaches make it to the NFL. He sucked as an OC even with the greatest running back in history in his backfield. He won SEC coach of the year as a gimmick. We went 7-5 the year he won it. By the same standard Leach should be Coach of the Year this year.

Fader21
01-11-2022, 09:06 AM
You can't be serious right ?

First of all, plenty of terrible coaches make it to the NFL. He sucked as an OC even with the greatest running back in history in his backfield. He won SEC coach of the year as a gimmick. We went 7-5 the year he won it. By the same standard Leach should be Coach of the Year this year.

Barry Sanders was the whole offense. Everyone knows that Offensive Line was horrible. Starting quarterbacks were Scott Mitchell, Charlie Batch, and Gus Ferotte. A lot of no name receivers too. Wasn't really dealt a great offensive team, when everyone knew that Barry Sanders was getting the ball.

Also terrible football coaches can make it to the NFL, but they don't stay around for 20 + years

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Also terrible football coaches can make it to the NFL, but they don't stay around for 20 + years

They absolutely do.

Some of our fans undying love for Croom is amazing to me. I know some of his former players. They all like him and still communicate with him some and say he's a good guy, but from a football perspective we were awful.

Home losses to Maine, A Katrina ravaged Tulane, etc. Just getting embarrassed in the SEC year after year.

2007 was a complete fluke (And it still wasn't even that good of a season) . Lucky defensive TDs turned the season from probable 4-8 to 7-5

Desoto1967
01-11-2022, 09:29 AM
So using this logic with Croom, the State luck out by not getting Joe Judge? He is not burning it up with the Giants

Fader21
01-11-2022, 09:37 AM
Some of our fans undying hate for Croom is unfathomable. I have never said he was a good HC. He wasn't, but I am not going to have hatred for the guy. He didn't workout here. We got a Liberty Bowl win under him. He is a great guy, who I have had a few conversations with outside of MSU football areas. I am happy that he is getting the distinction of being inducted into the College Football HOF. It is well deserved, (people at MSU think just because he wasn't a good HC means he shouldn't be) He is getting inducted because of his playing days. I don't understand why some hate him so much they can't be happy for the guy.

I guess I don't hate that many people because they didn't win many games here. I don't hate Joe Moorhead, and I hope he has a successful career.

tcdog70
01-11-2022, 10:03 AM
all you need to Know is after losing to Maine--the Slytanic said --Maine had the better team,, really, should have been fired on the spot.

TheLostDawg
01-11-2022, 10:07 AM

Yeah at least Rick Ray acknowledged he sucked it up

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-11-2022, 10:07 AM
Some of our fans undying hate for Croom is unfathomable. I have never said he was a good HC. He wasn't, but I am not going to have hatred for the guy. He didn't workout here. We got a Liberty Bowl win under him. He is a great guy, who I have had a few conversations with outside of MSU football areas. I am happy that he is getting the distinction of being inducted into the College Football HOF. It is well deserved, (people at MSU think just because he wasn't a good HC means he shouldn't be) He is getting inducted because of his playing days. I don't understand why some hate him so much they can't be happy for the guy.

I guess I don't hate that many people because they didn't win many games here. I don't hate Joe Moorhead, and I hope he has a successful career.

No undying hate here. I have no ill wishes towards the man, but don't come in here and say he was a good football coach. He was the worst in my lifetime.

Go back and look at some of our box scores from 2004-2008. They are truly horrific.

TheLostDawg
01-11-2022, 10:12 AM
No undying hate here. I have no ill wishes towards the man, but don't come in here and say he was a good football coach. He was the worst in my lifetime.

Go back and look at some of our box scores from 2004-2008. They are truly horrific.

3-2 Auburn

TrapGame
01-11-2022, 10:21 AM
Croom was in way over his head as a head coach. I really don't blame him. I blame Templeton. Other coaches with way more experience wanted the job but Templeton made the hire to appease the NCAA so they'd be more lenient on our impending penalties.

FISHDAWG
01-11-2022, 11:56 AM
Croom was in way over his head as a head coach. I really don't blame him. I blame Templeton. Other coaches with way more experience wanted the job but Templeton made the hire to appease the NCAA so they'd be more lenient on our impending penalties.

perfectly put

Coach34
01-11-2022, 12:39 PM
Do good coaches say:

"I dont care if we only make 6 inches- we are gonna get foot to foot and go right at them" (Nick Saban led LSU defense)
"Maine had more talent than we did"
"I will lose my job before switching to the Spread offense"- and did in fact lose said job when told to switch to Spread or else

Do good coaches continue to run the same offense 5 years in a row that doesnt work?

Templeton....

wanted to hire Bobby Wallace over Jackie Sherrill but thank goodness Dr. Z stepped in and made the call.
wanted to hire Dwayne Reboul over Stands but was talked out of it
hired Croom over Jimbo Fisher.
was going to promote Raffo before he was removed as AD but Fogelsong acted first
was part of the braintrust that hired Rockey Felker over a guy named Steve Spurrier
sold a home game vs Florida for one million dollars (insert Dr Evil here)

BeardoMSU
01-11-2022, 12:41 PM
Do good coaches say:

"I dont care if we only make 6 inches- we are gonna get foot to foot and go right at them" (Nick Saban led LSU defense)
"Maine had more talent than we did"
"I will lose my job before switching to the Spread offense"

Do good coaches continue to run the same offense 5 years in a row that doesnt work?

Templeton....

wanted to hire Bobby Wallace over Jackie Sherrill but thank goodness Dr. Z stepped in and made the call.
wanted to hire Dwayne Reboul over Stands but was talked out of it
hired Croom over Jimbo Fisher.
was going to promote Raffo before he was removed as AD but Fogelsong acted first
was part of the braintrust that hired Rockey Felker over a guy named Steve Spurrier
sold a home game vs Florida for one million dollars (insert Dr Evil here)

If this doesn't induce one to vomit, nothing will.