PDA

View Full Version : Jameis Winston's water is only getting hotter - here is a statement from the victim..

HancockCountyDog
11-20-2013, 12:55 PM
It's a doozy:

Recent media reports compel our family to make a statement at this time.
We the victim and family have attempted to allow the State Attorney to address Tallahassee
Police Department's questionable investigation into the rape of the victim.

We the victim and family have not responded to the barrage of media inquiries. We did not want
to escalate a very difficult situation which we thought was behind us.

On 12/7/12 the victim was raped by an unknown person. The victim immediately reported it to
law enforcement and cooperated completely with all requests made of her by law enforcement.
In early January, when the victim identified the perpetrator as Jameis Winston, the family grew
concerned that she would be targeted on campus.

We requested assistance from an attorney friend to interact with law enforcement on the victim's
behalf. When the attorney contacted Detective Angulo immediately after Winston was
identified, Detective Angulo told the attorney that Tallahassee was a big football town and the
victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked
over the coals and her life will be made miserable.

The attorney and Detective Angulo discussed suspending the investigation to give the victim
some time to receive counseling. However, during that discussion, the attorney addressed the
need for the family to obtain the DNA and blood work results to make a more informed decision.
At that time, Detective Angulo specifically refused to collect Winston's DNA or interview
Winston's roommate who witnessed the attack. Detective Angulo stated that such activity would
alert Winston and the matter could go public.

Thereafter, the family, through counsel, repeatedly attempted to obtain the blood work results
from both Detective Angulo and the Tallahassee Police Department's victim advocate, Fawnisha
Brown. At all times, the victim, the family, and counsel were available to Tallahassee Police
Department and were under the impression that only law enforcement was aware of the crime.
If the victim had been aware that Winston's attorney was alerted as far back as February, she
would have insisted that Tallahassee Police Department immediately collect DNA and interview,
at the very least, Winston's roommate who witnessed the attack.

The victim was devastated when she leamed late last week that the Tallahassee Police
Department had informed Winston's attorney as far back as February, which allowed him all of
this time to create his defense and prepare his witnesses. The victim cannot fathom that the State
Attorney's office was not given the same opportunity. The family was shocked to hear that Winston's attorney
was not only aware of the case but had been told by Tallahassee Police Department that the case had been
closed in February. All thewhile, the family was awaiting blood work results until early April.
It was never the intent of the victim or the family for this to become public. The victim was
trying to move on with her life which has now been turned upside down once again. We have not
been the source of any information prior to this release; there was no benefit in that.

In light of the fact that this matter has now been made public, here are a few of the many
questions the victim and the family have:

I. If Winston's attorney was aware of the case in February 2013, why didn't Detective
Angulo collect DNA evidence, interview Winston, and conduct a proper investigation.

2. Why did it take Detective Angulo four months to verbally inform the family of the blood
work results?

3. Why was Winston not listed as the suspect in the police report once he was identified in
early January?

4. Why is it being represented in the press that the victim was intoxicated when Detective
Angulo told the family that the victim was not intoxicated based on the blood work?

5. Why didn't Detective Angulo or his superiors inform the State Attorney of the crime
before the media sought a copy of the police report 11 months after the crime?

6. Why was the Florida State University Police Department given a copy ofthe police
report after it was determined they did not have jurisdiction, especially given the fact that
Winston's attorney represents the Florida State University football team and they have a
clear conflict of interest?

smootness
11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Yikes. That doesn't sound good.

But Jameis Winston smiles and has fun, so he's a great guy.

I seen it dawg
11-20-2013, 01:04 PM
This will ease bamas road to 3. Provided they get thru Auburn

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 01:19 PM
That's not a good spot to be in. Sounds like it could get ugly

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Looks like they need to start talking to LSU about how to keep their rapist eligible to play football.

Percho
11-20-2013, 01:26 PM
That's not a good spot to be in. Sounds like it could get ugly

I hope they cook that detective and others. Smells like a cover up to me.

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Yea that's what I was thinking. Sounds like the detective was to big of a fan to do his job. Sounds like they need to open up a little investigation into the department and how this case was handled.

CJDAWG85
11-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Why did all of this just now come out? I mean why wait until after Winston has an insane year and FSU is projected to play for the NC to come out and say all of this? None of this makes any sense... They didn't want all of this to become public, but waits until JW's name becomes big. And why would the TPD try to cover this up and now let it out?

I'm not saying I believe one way or the other because no one really knows the truth yet, but the timing of this is extremely odd.

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Timing is questionable. But either way its a bad situation.

CJDAWG85
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
I completely agree. It's a strange situation on both ends.

smootness
11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Why did all of this just now come out? I mean why wait until after Winston has an insane year and FSU is projected to play for the NC to come out and say all of this? None of this makes any sense... They didn't want all of this to become public, but waits until JW's name becomes big. And why would the TPD try to cover this up and now let it out?

I'm not saying I believe one way or the other because no one really knows the truth yet, but the timing of this is extremely odd.

Based on their timeline, it makes sense. It sounds like:

1) They were under the impression Jameis Winston had not yet been informed because the family was still deciding whether or not to go forward; it says they only learned last week he had been told. They claim they wanted to keep it quiet until more information was gathered and they could make a firm decision, so they seemed to be under the impression the investigation was taking place.

2) They said it took four months to receive the results of blood work, which may mean they only recently got those results back, and they said they were waiting on that while receiving counseling and deciding whether or not to pursue it.

3) I don't think the victim or her family made this public. I believe those around Tallahassee got wind that there was an investigation and began asking questions, which is what caused this to become public.

I don't think the victim was just sitting around and once Winston became a big name, she pursued it. It sounds like she reported it immediately, but the family was under the impression the investigation was taking place as much as it could without Winston being notified. Winston was a big name last year, especially in Tallahassee.

CJDAWG85
11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
I guess we will find out soon... Either way, not a good situation.

smootness
11-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I don't have any issue with recommending counseling or trying to make sure the victim thought of the possible backlash if she went through with the investigation.

That is a very real possibility when bringing forth accusations against someone like that, and it should be discussed.

However, based on his apparent actions after that, I fully agree. It appears that he wasn't advising her to seek counseling to protect her but rather to protect Winston and try to avoid going further with an investigation.

Vandownbytheriver
11-20-2013, 02:02 PM
What kills me about this situation is Manziel got grilled by every media outlet for signing autographs and partying. Now, these same assholes are giving Winston the benefit of the doubt and talking about poor ole Jameis. Complete bullshit.

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 02:17 PM
What kills me about this situation is Manziel got grilled by every media outlet for signing autographs and partying. Now, these same assholes are giving Winston the benefit of the doubt and talking about poor ole Jameis. Complete bullshit.

Yea I don't think it has gotten 1/4 of the media parade that MAnziel did over the summer. It is ridiculous when you drag Manziel through the mud every hour of every single day, but this was reported the day it came out and then a small piece every now and then. Just shows you how ridiculous ESPN and the networks are.

Percho
11-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't have any issue with recommending counseling or trying to make sure the victim thought of the possible backlash if she went through with the investigation.

That is a very real possibility when bringing forth accusations against someone like that, and it should be discussed.

However, based on his apparent actions after that, I fully agree. It appears that he wasn't advising her to seek counseling to protect her but rather to protect Winston and try to avoid going further with an investigation.

I don't have an issue with counseling. My issue is would this have been the advice had the accused been just some ordinary person. There is always some backlash to rape victims but I think the advice being given was because of who the accused was.

It is hard for me as a man to speak as a woman who had been raped but I like to think I would want the rapist punished for the rape, not for who he is otherwise, regardless of backlash.

Drugdog
11-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I would bet a dollar to a donut the Detective received tix to FSU games for the delay.

Political Hack
11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Redmond to be suspended for 18 more.

smootness
11-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't have an issue with counseling. My issue is would this have been the advice had the accused been just some ordinary person. There is always some backlash to rape victims but I think the advice being given was because of who the accused was.

It is hard for me as a man to speak as a woman who had been raped but I like to think I would want the rapist punished for the rape, not for who he is otherwise, regardless of backlash.

Of course it wouldn't have been the same, but that's the point. There wouldn't have been any public backlash had the accused been someone who wasn't famous because it never would have been widely reported, and no one would know the accused.

It isn't necessarily protecting the accused; it's also protecting the victim. Sure, I would want the rapist punished, but what if simply coming forward with accusations ruined the victim's life? Is it worth it?

For example, if I'm jumped by a gang and can identify 2-3 of my attackers, I'm not just going to come forward immediately. I'm going to want to be counseled on what typically happens in situations where gang members are accused of similar things, what protections I could be given, etc. If it would be worse for me to come forward than to not come forward, I'm not going to do it.

I appreciate a detective who is looking out for the victim by explaining all of the possibilities if something is pursued. But again, in this particular case, based on his subsequent actions, it does appear his primary motive was in protecting Winston, not the victim.

coachdaddy
11-20-2013, 02:39 PM

nm

CJDAWG85
11-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Redmond to be suspended for 18 more.

I just spit my water out everywhere... hahahahaha

PassInterference
11-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Winston is kicking himself for not signing with an SEC school. He could have been suspended and reinstated within 24 hours.

Goat Holder
11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Let me ask one question here......Why does Jameis Winston need to rape anyone? I'm pretty sure he's got every color and type of girl imaginable lining up to service him any way he pleases......so why would he rape anybody? Think about that.

The whole Lattimer/roids thing isn't near as realistic as the movie would like you think.

msstate7
11-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Let me ask one question here......Why does Jameis Winston need to rape anyone? I'm pretty sure he's got every color and type of girl imaginable lining up to service him any way he pleases......so why would he rape anybody? Think about that.

The whole Lattimer/roids thing isn't near as realistic as the movie would like you think.

But when the supposed crime took place, no women on campus knew he was gonna be mr heisman

Thick
11-20-2013, 03:47 PM
But when the supposed crime took place, no women on campus knew he was gonna be mr heisman

^^^^Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner^^^^

coachdaddy
11-20-2013, 03:50 PM
i dont mind my post being deleted, but in the future if someone posts "white boy", i expect it to be deleted too. thanks

DawgsBite34
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Looks like they need to start talking to LSU about how to keep their rapist eligible to play football.

GOLD

smootness
11-20-2013, 04:23 PM

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the case, though. That isn't a defense. Just because he didn't have to, doesn't mean he didn't.

Nobody needs to rape anybody. I get your point, but the bottom line is that sometimes people do dumb things, and sometimes those things are criminal. I have no idea what went on that night, no idea if he raped her or not; but to think that it's impossible that he would stop himself from doing something stupid just because he might have easier options isn't very realistic. I would imagine that a lot of times in situations like this, the guy is there with his friends, people are egging each other on, they're probably inebriated, and they don't think too much about what they're doing. I don't think a lot of rapists do it solely because they need to get laid; it's about much more than that.

Goat Holder
11-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Smootness and mstate7 you both have good points, and I agree with both. It's the fact that 'Girl messes around, regrets decision, then cries rape' is VERY prevalent in this country right now. It makes the real rape victims look bad. I've heard that the girl thought it was a 5'9" guy, which would mean it wasn't Winston. Or Winston could have had consensual sex with a drunk chick. Just playing devil's advocate. I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet because many men's lives have been ruined by stupid bitches who cry rape.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Smootness and mstate7 you both have good points, and I agree with both. It's the fact that 'Girl messes around, regrets decision, then cries rape' is VERY prevalent in this country right now. It makes the real rape victims look bad. I've heard that the girl thought it was a 5'9" guy, which would mean it wasn't Winston. Or Winston could have had consensual sex with a drunk chick. Just playing devil's advocate. I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet because many men's lives have been ruined by stupid bitches who cry rape.

By law, it isnt consensual if a person is drunk.

smootness
11-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet because many men's lives have been ruined by stupid bitches who cry rape.

I know, and we absolutely shouldn't jump too quickly to convict him. In fact, I think that's one of the main reasons why he hasn't been dragged through the mud in the media yet - it seems like they've learned their lesson after past incidents (like Duke lacrosse) and are actually showing a surprising level of restraint here.

There's no doubt that it has become a problem; Winston's attorney supposedly has some witnesses who will full back up his story. But these cases are so tough sometimes; maybe the witnesses are his friends? How credible will they be? But then, like you said, her initial description of the person doesn't seem to fit Winston.

I just know that defense doesn't fly, and it's one I actually believed in with the Kobe Bryant case. Of course, I still somewhat believe his story on that one because of how promiscuous that girl was; we don't know anything about this victim yet. But the more you think about that, you realize that someone who is a rapist isn't just sitting around wanting to get some action, getting denied and then thinking, 'Ok, then I'll just do this myself'. It's about power and control much more than it is about sex in most cases.

I don't want to jump to convict Winston, but I also don't want to jump to exonerate him, either.

CJDAWG85
11-20-2013, 05:28 PM
By law, it isnt consensual if a person is drunk.

What if both are drunk?

HereComesTheSpiral
11-20-2013, 06:06 PM
What if both are drunk?

Guess its like multiplying two negative numbers

CJDAWG85
11-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Guess its like multiplying two negative numbers

Whew... Thought I was gonna be in trouble...

sleepy dawg
11-20-2013, 06:25 PM
There worst part is, even if he is found guilty, the media will talk about how sad it is that this great football player's career could be over. It seems like in every case, the media, and most others will forget about the devastation the victim has suffered through all this and focus on what a loss it is for the athlete.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Whew... Thought I was gonna be in trouble...

I think 90% of this board would be in trouble

PendingTransaction
11-20-2013, 08:57 PM
If my daughter was raped and could id the rapist, I wouldn't sit back and "consider" pressing charges. I would have contacted the justice department and the media. If he wasn't arrested in a few days following the incident.

At the time Winston was a nobody. He would have just been another dumb jock doing criminal shit. I will bet my left leg that this was not classic rape, probably not rape at all.

smootness
11-20-2013, 11:42 PM
If my daughter was raped and could id the rapist, I wouldn't sit back and "consider" pressing charges. I would have contacted the justice department and the media. If he wasn't arrested in a few days following the incident.

At the time Winston was a nobody. He would have just been another dumb jock doing criminal shit. I will bet my left leg that this was not classic rape, probably not rape at all.

First of all, the heck is 'classic rape'?

Second of all, the only thing you said is, 'watch me jump to all kinds of conclusions'.

Winston was not a nobody at the time. He was the #1 QB in the country coming out of HS, was already playing college baseball, and was already thought of as a stud in Tallahassee and to knowledgeable college football fans. He was extremely well-known around campus.

And that's fine if you would handle it that way. But you might make life even worse for your daughter by doing so. Just because it is right for someone who commits a crime to be punished and makes the victim feel better doesn't always mean you should pursue justice for everything no matter what. The reality is, you may receive a lot of backlash if you come out and make accusations against someone like Jameis Winston...from people like you, apparently.

PendingTransaction
11-20-2013, 11:48 PM
First of all, the heck is 'classic rape'?

Second of all, the only thing you said is, 'watch me jump to all kinds of conclusions'.

Winston was not a nobody at the time. He was the #1 QB in the country coming out of HS, was already playing college baseball, and was already thought of as a stud in Tallahassee and to knowledgeable college football fans. He was extremely well-known around campus.

And that's fine if you would handle it that way. But you might make life even worse for your daughter by doing so. Just because it is right for someone who commits a crime to be punished and makes the victim feel better doesn't always mean you should pursue justice for everything no matter what. The reality is, you may receive a lot of backlash if you come out and make accusations against someone like Jameis Winston...from people like you, apparently.

Well if your concern for backlash supersedes your desire for justice, then don't press charges. She wasn't raped. That's my opinion.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM

Actually, Winston was a starting outfielder and also pitched 27 innings for the FSU baseball team this Spring, so while the "investigation" and "bloodwork" was going on in the early months of 2013, FSU fans knew exactly who he was. Not to mention that he the #1 recruit in the country by some services and the #1 QB recruit by virtually all of them.

Remember, the lead detective on the case apparently told the victim that she should just drop it because Winston was a high-profile athlete.

She wasn't raped. That's my opinion.

That's a pretty outrageous thing for someone who doesn't have a clue to say. We don't know the facts and it's obviously possible that Winston is innocent, but to call a potential rape victim a liar without any evidence is WAY beyond the pale. Attitudes like that contribute to the sad fact that less than half of rapes are even reported to police, and less than 10% lead to convictions.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2013, 12:33 AM

Not really. Rapes are dramatically under-reported, under-prosecuted, and under-sentenced. Only 3% (!) of rapes actually lead to any jail time for the perp. Even when in cases where the victim speaks out and the prosecutor actually tries, there's still enough reasonable doubt most of the time that he walks.

I'm not saying there aren't innocent men in jail for rape -- I'm sure there are -- but the idea that "stupid bitches who cry rape" are even remotely some kind of epidemic problem is offensively absurd, and simply not supported by the facts. In order to be convicted of rape, there has to be overwhelming evidence, so whatever small fraction of the 3% is actually innocent (and don't get me wrong -- they should all be freed and given reparation) pales in comparison to the 97% walking free.

http://rainn.org/images/get-information/Statistics/jailed-rapists.jpg
Source: RAINN, the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network. The chart includes these references, though it does not include actual links, unfortunately:
1 Justice Department, National Crime Victimization Survey: 2008-2012
2 FBI, Uniform Crime Reports: 2006-2010
3 National Center for Policy Analysis, Crime and Punishment in America, 1999
4 Department of Justice, Felony Defendents in Large Urban Counties: average of 2002-2006
5 Department of Justice, Felony Defendents in Large Urban Counties: average of 2002-2006

InternetDawg
11-21-2013, 02:47 AM
they should just let the team vote on it #JeremyHill

Political Hack
11-21-2013, 08:20 AM
they should just let the team vote on it #JeremyHill

I laughed... and then felt guilty for laughing.