PDA

View Full Version : Let the Diamond Girls on the Field

TigerMomofaDawg
01-08-2022, 09:22 PM
The Diamond Girls are not going to be allowed to perform on field duties again this year, which is complete nonsense. They have created a petition and are asking supporters to sign.

According to an article Steve Robertson published today, it is due to Covid precautions. If that is true, it is odd that Ole Miss, USM, and Delta State have not banned their Diamond Girls from on field duties.

In all fairness, my daughter is a Diamond Girl. I am not exactly unbiased. The link is to their petition in case any of you are inclined to sign it.

https://chng.it/C8vt67zHmq

Cooterpoot
01-08-2022, 09:24 PM
Well, it's John Cohen. Nothing is surprising.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-08-2022, 09:29 PM
The girls certainly seem to believe that Cohen is the reason. No one would tell them who made the decision or why the decision was made, only that it was final. I am proud of them for standing up and trying to get that asinine decision changed.

CaptainObvious
01-08-2022, 09:33 PM
Can any of them Dunk?

BeardoMSU
01-08-2022, 10:19 PM
Well, it's John Cohen. Nothing is surprising.

If you were Ramesses II, you'd blame all those frogs on Cohen.**

https://media3.giphy.com/media/fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf/giphy.gif

Cooterpoot
01-08-2022, 10:23 PM
If you were Ramesses II, you'd blame all those frogs on Cohen.**

https://media3.giphy.com/media/fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf/giphy.gif

Well, he is Jewish lol

OLJWales
01-09-2022, 12:03 AM
The Diamond Girls are not going to be allowed to perform on field duties again this year, which is complete nonsense. They have created a petition and are asking supporters to sign.

According to an article Steve Robertson published today, it is due to Covid precautions. If that is true, it is odd that Ole Miss, USM, and Delta State have not banned their Diamond Girls from on field duties.

In all fairness, my daughter is a Diamond Girl. I am not exactly unbiased. The link is to their petition in case any of you are inclined to sign it.

Thank You Ma'am for this post. I signed and hope we prevail.

OLJWales
01-09-2022, 12:04 AM
Well, he is Jewish lol

LMAO!!!! Sad I can only offer up a Bolshevik Rep cuz still LMAO.

BeardoMSU
Well, he is Jewish lol

Last name Cohen?**

https://media4.giphy.com/media/6JB4v4xPTAQFi/giphy.gif

BeardoMSU
Well, he is Jewish lol

Last name Cohen?**

https://media4.giphy.com/media/6JB4v4xPTAQFi/giphy.gif

Todd4State
01-09-2022, 02:00 AM
This is an absolutely stupid decision by MSU based on outdated protocols.

MSU needs to make this right and allow the Diamond Girls back on the field.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2022, 02:30 AM
Well, we won our first natty without them last year. When something works, no matter how utterly preposterous it is, DON'T CHANGE IT.

OLJWales
01-09-2022, 05:44 AM
Well, we won our first natty without them last year. When something works, no matter how utterly preposterous it is, DON'T CHANGE IT.

No. With Diamond Girls we wouldna got swept by Pig or ran from Tourney. True Fact.

Pancho
01-09-2022, 07:43 AM
This is ridiculous but just not as bad as Vandy banning students in Memorial Coliseum for basketball games due to protocols but then offer the seats to the general public.

sonof34
01-09-2022, 09:24 AM
Who really gives a damn. Seems like something else for some of you to bitch about when it comes to the athletic department.

And I bet the majority yelling for this went to hardly any games. I was at at 90% percent of them and I can say I not once was like ?wow where are the diamond girls? because I was too busy watching our team win the whole damn thing

confucius say
01-09-2022, 09:40 AM
I was at the games too. And Omaha. And I think it's dumb and deserves to be called out.

The girls not being allowed on the field is not about me or you. It doesn't matter if we noticed them. It's about them.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-09-2022, 09:41 AM
Who really gives a damn. Seems like something else for some of you to bitch about when it comes to the athletic department.

And I bet the majority yelling for this went to hardly any games. I was at at 90% percent of them and I can say I not once was like ?wow where are the diamond girls? because I was too busy watching our team win the whole damn thing

I will tell you who gives a damn. The Diamond Girls. Also, anyone who believes it is time we stop making irrational, asinine decisions because of a virus.

I attended many of the baseball games, and my daughter and I went to Omaha and watched the Dawgs win it all. We saw players mingling with people the whole time. No one is social distancing on that team or any other. This whole testing nonsense has gotten way out of hand, and it needs to stop. My daughter is vaccinated and has natural immunity. Her presence on that field poses zero threat to anyone.

Pancho
01-09-2022, 09:41 AM
Better watch it, you starting to display a "grove" mentality. I hate the fact that you seem to be a bitch and don't understand public dialogue. I am sure you are just misunderstood and really a nice guy once one gets to know you. Shit, don't we need to get up an award for you since you be attending so many games?

sonof34
01-09-2022, 09:56 AM
Better watch it, you starting to display a "grove" mentality. I hate the fact that you seem to be a bitch and don't understand public dialogue. I am sure you are just misunderstood and really a nice guy once one gets to know you. Shit, don't we need to get up an award for you since you be attending so many games?

You talking to me? If so quote me next times.

Wow it?s amazing how you completely ignored the argument of having the diamond girls back and went straight to attacking me?I bet you were a real hit on your high school debate team Mr. Cheese Sauce

And wait you complain when people don?t attend games now you?re cracking jokes at someone who actually attends?man I bet your life has been confusing

OLJWales
01-09-2022, 10:45 AM

Do you get off being an Asshole to a Mother of one of our Diamond Girls? She's representing the Entire Squad and shutting them out defies logic and as a STATE MOM she deserves some respect. You should be ashamed.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Do you get off being an Asshole to a Mother of one of our Diamond Girls? She's representing the Entire Squad and shutting them out defies logic and as a STATE MOM she deserves some respect. You should be ashamed.

I definitely appreciate and thank you for the support, but such negativity does not bother me too much. I have lived long enough to not lose sleep over the words of others. I posted in the hope that I could garner some support for the squad and maybe get a few more signatures on the petition. Supporters were my intended audience, and it look like I found some in this forum. Thank you to everyone who is supporting the Diamond Girls!

Quaoarsking
01-09-2022, 12:13 PM
Is it just a coincidence that the one year without them, we finally put it together and win the long-overdue national title? Were they a distraction? Is baseball a sport where you need to focus 100% and not think about the pretty girls sitting next to you?

I'm just throwing some questions out there.

Pancho
01-09-2022, 02:02 PM
You talking to me? If so quote me next times.

Wow it?s amazing how you completely ignored the argument of having the diamond girls back and went straight to attacking me?I bet you were a real hit on your high school debate team Mr. Cheese Sauce

And wait you complain when people don?t attend games now you?re cracking jokes at someone who actually attends?man I bet your life has been confusing

Yea, I was talking directly to you and nobody else. u must understand the "grove " mentality that i mentioned. I have never been on a debate team but u do act like you are a high schooler by what u type. I am defending the diamond girls and feel they should be allowed back. I have never complained about attendance at the Dude. WTF is you're deal? I am not confused in the least. U making statements such as that further confirms you and the "grove" mentality that you display fully.

Lord McBuckethead
01-10-2022, 09:40 AM
Guys, the diamond girls are very attractive for the most part.
Is this an attempt to limit the exposure of the baseball players during the season?

Once again, make everyone aware that 100% of the baseball group including coaches, assistants, stat guys, diamond girls, players, etc have to be vaccinated and boosted. After that, let them do whatever they want.
If 100% participation can be achieved, who cares what they do.

The Federalist Engineer
01-10-2022, 10:06 AM

Petition signed and happy to do so!

Extendedcab
01-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Signed the petition!

Commercecomet24
01-10-2022, 10:11 AM
I will tell you who gives a damn. The Diamond Girls. Also, anyone who believes it is time we stop making irrational, asinine decisions because of a virus.

I attended many of the baseball games, and my daughter and I went to Omaha and watched the Dawgs win it all. We saw players mingling with people the whole time. No one is social distancing on that team or any other. This whole testing nonsense has gotten way out of hand, and it needs to stop. My daughter is vaccinated and has natural immunity. Her presence on that field poses zero threat to anyone.

Well Said!

Rep Given!

Jack Lambert
01-10-2022, 10:20 AM
Baseball is a superstitious sport. We just won a NC. Maybe it's the coach or players and not Cohen.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2022, 10:21 AM
Stuff like this is the type misstep that causes Cohen unnecessary grief. The guy is just not like able at times because he thinks everyone should think like him. He's wanted to do this for some time and has used Covid as the excuse. He took a PR loss on this, no matter what side you're on.

confucius say
01-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Guys, the diamond girls are very attractive for the most part.
Is this an attempt to limit the exposure of the baseball players during the season?

Once again, make everyone aware that 100% of the baseball group including coaches, assistants, stat guys, diamond girls, players, etc have to be vaccinated and boosted. After that, let them do whatever they want.
If 100% participation can be achieved, who cares what they do.

I don't want to make this a Covid deal, bc I def see where you are coming from. And I actually agree with you.
But the problem with that is we have players and coaches who are vaxed missing games right now. So I'm not sure getting everybody vaxed is going to help as long as we are making vaxed people miss games.

confucius say
01-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Stuff like this is the type misstep that causes Cohen unnecessary grief. The guy is just not like able at times because he thinks everyone should think like him. He's wanted to do this for some time and has used Covid as the excuse. He took a PR loss on this, no matter what side you're on.

Agree. It's stupid.

Santiago
01-10-2022, 11:36 AM

I like this person. Well said.

Saltydog
01-10-2022, 11:46 AM

AND THE WINNER OF "ED DICKHEAD POSTS OF THE YEAR" GOES TO (DRUM ROLL).............sonof34

Commercecomet24
01-10-2022, 11:55 AM

Yeah creating a problem where there didn't have to be one. smh.

The Federalist Engineer
01-10-2022, 01:00 PM
AND THE WINNER OF "ED DICKHEAD POSTS OF THE YEAR" GOES TO (DRUM ROLL).............sonof34

Man, can we really say that in January? There are 11.5 months of opportunity for others to surpass. Let's say, he prolly locked in January's DHP.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Thanks to everyone who has supported the efforts of the Diamond Girls to resume their job duties. They have a virtual meeting with the athletic department this Friday. Parents are also allowed to join that meeting. I am not sure if I will be able to join in (have a teaching job and have lunch duty and class during the scheduled time), but I will get the information and will post an update afterward.

Please continue to share the petition and/or make your support known to the AD if you are inclined to do so.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2022, 12:20 PM
Thanks to everyone who has supported the efforts of the Diamond Girls to resume their job duties. They have a virtual meeting with the athletic department this Friday. Parents are also allowed to join that meeting. I?m not sure if I will be able to join in (have a teaching job and have lunch duty and class during the scheduled time), but I will get the information and will post an update afterward.

Please continue to share the petition and/or make your support known to the AD if you are inclined to do so.

Good luck! I hope they change their mind on this and make it right. They deserve to be on the field.

OLJWales
01-11-2022, 12:58 PM
If I'm 40 yrs younger and a few beautiful young ladies hanging out, I'm going YARD.

DAWG1903
01-11-2022, 07:17 PM
I signed the petition. The girls should be allowed to do their job.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-14-2022, 06:59 PM
I am posting to update everyone after the meeting of the Diamond Girls and John Cohen. This information is secondhand. I was not able to attend the meeting because I had a class to teach, but here is what my daughter told me:

No real progress made. The girls and their parents made valid points that were not really refuted by administration. Basically, they are hiding behind the Covid excuse despite the Covid arguments being illogical. Cohen left the meeting after 10 minutes. He basically thanked them for their service and said that they are treasured members of the State baseball community. His decisions, however, do not align with that professed belief. The girls feel diminished by the athletic department.

I am not sure what the next move will be. Again, this is secondhand information. I did not personally hear what he said.

The girls appreciate the support they have received from everyone and hope it continues.

confucius say
01-14-2022, 08:00 PM
Interesting. If it's true he left the meeting after 10 minutes, that's disappointing.

Saltydog
01-14-2022, 09:02 PM
It probably wouldn't help as it sounds like the "All Knowing" Cohen has made up his mind but there should be a petition to flood his email.

Pancho
01-14-2022, 11:14 PM
He's using the hurry up and let it go away approach.

Cowbell
01-14-2022, 11:53 PM
The girls just need to go straight to Lemonis. Lemonis should have more power at this point than Cohen if he chose to flex. If lemonis is not against the girls (and there is a solid chance he is), then that route should suffice. I wonder why we had cheerleaders***

MoreCowbell
01-15-2022, 01:29 AM
I am posting to update everyone after the meeting of the Diamond Girls and John Cohen. This information is secondhand. I was not able to attend the meeting because I had a class to teach, but here is what my daughter told me:

No real progress made. The girls and their parents made valid points that were not really refuted by administration. Basically, they are hiding behind the Covid excuse despite the Covid arguments being illogical. Cohen left the meeting after 10 minutes. He basically thanked them for their service and said that they are treasured members of the State baseball community. His decisions, however, do not align with that professed belief. The girls feel diminished by the athletic department.

I am not sure what the next move will be. Again, this is secondhand information. I did not personally hear what he said.

The girls appreciate the support they have received from everyone and hope it continues.

I may be mistaken but isn?t there only like 4/5 girls on the field at a time retrieving bats and such? Isn?t on field stuff a minor part of what the DGs do? And and am I correct in that only on field duties is all that is being eliminated this year? Genuinely curious

TigerMomofaDawg
01-15-2022, 09:34 AM
There are usually 4-5 on the field at a given time. They rotate 3-inning stints on the field and greeting fans and such. The field work is the main part of the job, though. The on-field duties are not the only thing eliminated this year. All travel has been eliminated since the pandemic started. Girls who were told they could travel if they sold enough ads for the calendar have not been allowed to do that. They have been fundraising but have not been allowed to access that money. All girls who went to Omaha did it on their own dime. In the past, they were included in the trip and the money they had fundraiser paid their way.

I like the idea about going straight to Lemonis. One of the girls has a dad who played at State and was an MLB player. He might be the one to ask to get involved.

The thing that really drives me crazy is how long are we going to let a mild virus hold us hostage? This pandemic is not the same now as it was earlier. Omicron is a cold. That is it. We also have tools now that we did not have in the early days of Covid. At what point do we get on with living normal lives and refuse to take their ridiculous tests? Treat it like any other virus. If you have a fever, stay home. If you get sick, treat the symptoms. We have created a bizarro world in which hospitals are now having to divert people with real problems (heart attacks, car crashes, etc.) because Covid folks are clogging up the ERs. We are testing symptom-free athletes. That is nuts.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

DeltaChicagoDog
01-15-2022, 09:47 AM
The girls just need to go straight to Lemonis. Lemonis should have more power at this point than Cohen if he chose to flex. If lemonis is not against the girls (and there is a solid chance he is), then that route should suffice. I wonder why we had cheerleaders***

No inside information here, but it seems unlikely that the national championship winning head coach was not involved in or consulted about any and all decisions involving what takes place on the baseball field while his team is playing.

Vandownbytheriver
01-15-2022, 10:13 AM
It kind of sounds like to me they might be trying to save the girls feelings by not saying, "unfortunately your services are not needed any longer." Like many have said, baseball is a very superstitious sport and you don't mess with the juju. If Lemonis thinks they are a distraction to the team, he's gonna put a stop to it. Not saying that's the case, but it could be a deciding factor.

Pancho
01-15-2022, 10:18 AM
And how many daughters does Lemonis have? Just what I thought. This is simply more liberal leadership from Cohen.

Vandownbytheriver
01-15-2022, 10:30 AM
And how many daughters does Lemonis have? Just what I thought. This is simply more liberal leadership from Cohen.

Pancho
01-15-2022, 10:34 AM
I seriously doubt he'd be in favor of this Cohen stipulation then.

Coursesuper
01-15-2022, 11:16 AM
Good God who the 17 cares. Are you people permanently 14.

Cowbell
01-15-2022, 11:59 AM
No inside information here, but it seems unlikely that the national championship winning head coach was not involved in or consulted about any and all decisions involving what takes place on the baseball field while his team is playing.

Even more reason to go to him. Find out if it's just Cohen or if it's an unified front.

Quaoarsking
01-15-2022, 12:03 PM
I seriously doubt he'd be in favor of this Cohen stipulation then.

So you're quietly taking back the "just what I thought" and hope no one notices the error?

Homedawg
01-15-2022, 01:15 PM
It probably wouldn't help as it sounds like the "All Knowing" Cohen has made up his mind but there should be a petition to flood his email.

Cohen didn't make this decision....

Todd4State
01-15-2022, 02:09 PM
Cohen didn't make this decision....

So Keenum made the decision?

Vandownbytheriver
01-15-2022, 02:20 PM

I assumed he was implying Lemonis.

Are these girls on some sort of scholarship or is it purely a volunteer thing?

Homedawg
01-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Ding ding

TigerMomofaDawg
01-15-2022, 02:52 PM
Volunteer

Quaoarsking
01-15-2022, 03:20 PM
So Keenum made the decision?Ding ding

So much for the politics bitching

Pancho
01-15-2022, 04:32 PM
So you're quietly taking back the "just what I thought" and hope no one notices the error?

No, not at all but he does just wish many boosters simply had no opinion or just stayed quiet. Nice try there though. Nothing quiet implied in the least.

Quaoarsking
01-15-2022, 07:03 PM
No, not at all but he does just wish many boosters simply had no opinion or just stayed quiet. Nice try there though. Nothing quiet implied in the least.

Honest advice here - Take the L before you rack up another one.

Vandownbytheriver
01-15-2022, 08:30 PM
Not trying to be insensitive here, but I'm not understanding the outrage. They are volunteers and not a part of the team. It sucks for the ladies who've put in the work, but I'm assuming the university is trying to eliminate any sort of liability. It's a bad situation for the young women, but the team itself must come first.

Pancho
01-15-2022, 08:49 PM
Honest advice here - Take the L before you rack up another one.

Another what? I was under the assumption that we could freely offer opinions.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-16-2022, 08:20 AM
Not trying to be insensitive here, but I'm not understanding the outrage. They are volunteers and not a part of the team. It sucks for the ladies who've put in the work, but I'm assuming the university is trying to eliminate any sort of liability. It's a bad situation for the young women, but the team itself must come first.

Agree that the team must alway be the top priority. However, the Diamond Girls in no way are a distraction. I do not think this decision is coming from the team or Coach Lemonis. My daughter is friends with those guys. In fact, one of them gifted us our tickets to Omaha. The players and Diamond Girls have always had a good working relationship.

The general outrage comes because they are a baseball tradition. Fans, alumni, and former players want to see them doing their jobs. My personal outrage comes because I am the parent of one of them, and this raw deal has really crushed her. If it made sense, she could understand that, but it does not make sense. There is no liability to letting them on the field. In fact, other schools (Ole Miss, USM, Delta State, and more) are allowing their Diamond Girls on the field. None of those schools has a Diamond Girl tradition as well-established as the one at State.

What really bothers me is that I really bought into the State is a faMily mindset. From the moment my daughter moved in, she felt that way, until this. Like I said, if the decision had been rational, if it made sense, and if that had been clearly communicated from the start, she would have been disappointed but not crushed. There is a difference. These girls are crushed because they feel like they are not even being heard. Cohen left the meeting 10 minutes after it began. That is not how you treat members of your faMily.

Again, these girls and their families wish nothing but the best for the baseball team. Also, I did not perceive your comment as insensitive. I am just posting to answer your questions.

Lord McBuckethead
01-16-2022, 01:51 PM
The virus isn?t mild, and it is the administrations responsibility to protect the players and the students in their charge. Diamond girls are not absolutely necessary for baseball to be played.

Our university have a responsibility in giving the players a platform to showcase their talent for future sports related opportunities. Fans have spent money on tickets etc. the schools are trying to eliminate as much contact as possible while near the baseball field. All of that seems logical.

Lord McBuckethead
01-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Are diamond girls given scholarships to be a diamond girl? Is so, did the university not keep paying their scholarships during this Covid time? What are the perks that the diamond girls get? If not, is there some restrictions on them attending games as students?

I am just trying to figure out what the diamond girls are missing out on, other than just not being on the field? I mean, what is their connection to the athletic department? What is the arrangement?

Homedawg
01-16-2022, 02:07 PM
Are diamond girls given scholarships to be a diamond girl? Is so, did the university not keep paying their scholarships during this Covid time? What are the perks that the diamond girls get? If not, is there some restrictions on them attending games as students?

I am just trying to figure out what the diamond girls are missing out on, other than just not being on the field? I mean, what is their connection to the athletic department? What is the arrangement?

They are not on scholarship no. They are volunteers and get nothing in return other than the "prestige" that comes with it

Lord McBuckethead
01-16-2022, 02:09 PM
I am having a really hard time with this entire situation. Do I want the diamond girls to have every opportunity to experience everything they want, absolutely. I do disagree with you though, it does make sense to remove as many exposures as possible from the team. I am not sure that this does much in the grand scheme of things, but it is one of the things the administration actually does control.

What is so bad with these diamond girls just going to game as a fan?

Vandownbytheriver
01-16-2022, 02:30 PM
I am having a really hard time with this entire situation. Do I want the diamond girls to have every opportunity to experience everything they want, absolutely. I do disagree with you though, it does make sense to remove as many exposures as possible from the team. I am not sure that this does much in the grand scheme of things, but it is one of the things the administration actually does control.

Sounds like a situation where things that don't need to be politicized are getting turned into that. It sucks they can't get their moment in the sun, but I'd rather them be in the stands in that capacity than to expose our players and have us forfeit games. Have them be ambassadors not at field level greeting fans, doing promos, pumping up the crowd, etc. Dont see why that couldn't be a compromise.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-16-2022, 05:13 PM
They have also been deprived of traveling to away games and to Omaha in their official capacities, despite having fundraised to do so. The Covid excuses are nonsense. Those players are no more exposed to Covid on the field than they are at a bar or in class or at a party or at a camp.

Coursesuper
01-16-2022, 05:25 PM
They have also been deprived of traveling to away games and to Omaha in their official capacities, despite having fundraised to do so. The Covid excuses are nonsense. Those players are no more exposed to Covid on the field than they are at a bar or in class or at a party or at a camp.

Deprived? We are an affluent, unserious, ridiculously self centered nation.

Homedawg
01-16-2022, 08:14 PM

Bc they are going to be exposed to them, and. Thousands others, before and after the game. But it "sounds" great... So it's bullshit it's not hard to see...

Pancho
01-16-2022, 08:16 PM
Homedawg hit a dinger right there.......

BrunswickDawg
01-16-2022, 10:34 PM

No offense - but yalll are acting like this isn't happening all over the place with activities and student organizations of all kinds. It has been and will continue probably they the rest of this school year at least. Neither of my kids have had what I would call "normal" experiences at college the past 2+ years. In 2020, my daughter was the lead organizer for a major regional conference that is on campus every spring. It's a big deal in her department for post-grad networking. She had worked her tail off and gotten nationally prominent speakers to attend. COVID hit 3 weeks before the conference, and they had to go all on-line and wiped out all travel and all the events they had planned. She had to learn to roll with it and the disappointment. My son spent all Fall of 2020 going to marching band rehearsals 3 days a week so they could be prepared for "if" Valdosta State was allowed to let them play at games at some point - 14 weeks including band camp for shows they never got to play. Neither of them went crying to the university about it because they realize it's all about bigger things than them.

It's a damn world wide pandemic that has killed 850,000 Americans. I'm glad of the policies MSU and a lot of universities have enacted - it's kept both my kids from getting it over the past 2+ years. I'm glad they didn't get it like I did - where I was nearly intubated because my O2 levels crashed. I'm glad they didn't have to spend a week in the hospital and 3 weeks recovering like me. I'm glad they haven't caught it and died like 4 of my family members have. If missing a season of games, or going online, or wearing a mask, or having a conference and hard work cancelled - so be it.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2022, 09:29 AM

Deprived? They are students with no official capacity? Correct?

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2022, 09:31 AM
Bc they are going to be exposed to them, and. Thousands others, before and after the game. But it "sounds" great... So it's bullshit it's not hard to see...

Well to be honest, Diamond Girls serve no purpose. The fans do. And also, the fans do not interact with the players directly.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2022, 09:34 AM
Agreed. All criticism of how the university is handling the pandemic is made by a bunch of people that do not have even close to the responsibility. I believe the school is doing a great job, and not caving to the diamond girls is the correct decision. Unless someone can tell me why they matter.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 10:47 AM
Well to be honest, Diamond Girls serve no purpose. The fans do. And also, the fans do not interact with the players directly.

But they can wait outside the locker room and give them a hug. They can sit beside them in class. They can go to a bar and be 2' from them. They can go to their room. So they whole thing is about optics and that's it.... nothing more nothing less. By not letting diamond girls on the field, are we slowing the spread of covid? If you say yes I've got some land I'd like to sell you.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-17-2022, 10:53 AM
But they can wait outside the locker room and give them a hug. They can sit beside them in class. They can go to a bar and be 2' from them. They can go to their room. So they whole thing is about optics and that's it.... nothing more nothing less. By not letting diamond girls on the field, are we slowing the spread of covid? If you say yes I've got some land I'd like to sell you.

Homedawg gets it.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 10:53 AM
I guess we should let the players take their unis home and wash them so we can get rid of the managers. I mean the managers being close to them might cause a way bigger risk****

Cooterpoot
01-17-2022, 10:57 AM
No offense - but yalll are acting like this isn't happening all over the place with activities and student organizations of all kinds. It has been and will continue probably they the rest of this school year at least. Neither of my kids have had what I would call "normal" experiences at college the past 2+ years. In 2020, my daughter was the lead organizer for a major regional conference that is on campus every spring. It's a big deal in her department for post-grad networking. She had worked her tail off and gotten nationally prominent speakers to attend. COVID hit 3 weeks before the conference, and they had to go all on-line and wiped out all travel and all the events they had planned. She had to learn to roll with it and the disappointment. My son spent all Fall of 2020 going to marching band rehearsals 3 days a week so they could be prepared for "if" Valdosta State was allowed to let them play at games at some point - 14 weeks including band camp for shows they never got to play. Neither of them went crying to the university about it because they realize it's all about bigger things than them.

It's a damn world wide pandemic that has killed 850,000 Americans. I'm glad of the policies MSU and a lot of universities have enacted - it's kept both my kids from getting it over the past 2+ years. I'm glad they didn't get it like I did - where I was nearly intubated because my O2 levels crashed. I'm glad they didn't have to spend a week in the hospital and 3 weeks recovering like me. I'm glad they haven't caught it and died like 4 of my family members have. If missing a season of games, or going online, or wearing a mask, or having a conference and hard work cancelled - so be it.

Yet, the other teams aren't eliminating them. So your argument is invalid. Do you really believe college kids aren't at bars and parties during the week or season? You don't think they're banging their girlfriends and talking to their side piece? Not a damn soul is catching Covid outside.

Coursesuper
01-17-2022, 11:07 AM

Classes are requiring masks now, so, so much for that example. As for optics you are exactly right, what other choice do they have? Outside of a university sponsored event they can?t control things nor do I think they care, something most here fail to understand. But, this tread consists of mostly regurgitated political talking points from an effete population with a narrow point of view.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 11:17 AM
Classes are requiring masks now, so, so much for that example. As for optics you are exactly right, what other choice do they have? Outside of a university sponsored event they can?t control things nor do I think they care, something most here fail to understand. But, this tread consists of mostly regurgitated political talking points from an effete population with a narrow point of view.

Great, masks in classes and no diamond girls on the field, we'll have this covid thing whipped in no time***

BrunswickDawg
01-17-2022, 11:27 AM
Yet, the other teams aren't eliminating them. So your argument is invalid. Do you really believe college kids aren't at bars and parties during the week or season? You don't think they're banging their girlfriends and talking to their side piece? Not a damn soul is catching Covid outside.

No, I'm not naive. Universities are controlling what they can control and mitigating risk and liability. It's the way of the world right now and will be until we transition from pandemic to endemic. They are also looking at the bottom line. Which is more important for all of the above - keeping ball players on the field playing games and avoiding forfeits, or having non ball players picking up bats and handing balls to the umps? Frankly, as they are assessing it, I am sure a lot of "we have no issues last year, so let's keep the status quo" is a big motivator.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2022, 04:22 PM
Covid is a convenient excuse by Cohen, who has wanted to do this for years. He hated it when he was coach. He got called out on it, so we'll see how it ends up. Probably like our marketing dept, they'll disappear.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2022, 04:59 PM
Great, masks in classes and no diamond girls on the field, we'll have this covid thing whipped in no time***

We would, if people gave a shit. They just don't. So we have to continue with this. I said it from day 1. Wear a mask, stay socially distant, wear a mask indoors, wash your hands. Then when the vaccine came out, do all of that and get the vaccine. When the numbers are way down, ditch the mask. Keep you circle small.

But nope. People don't want to do any of it. So.... here we are. Greatest country in the world, with the greatest toughest son of a bitches in the world, can't take a small shot and wear a mask. 17n bunch of C**ts if you ask me.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2022, 05:01 PM
I would like to add, I like seeing the young coed girls up there dancing and what not. So I hope they do get to do it. They are very attractive so I support it.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2022, 05:02 PM
No, I'm not naive. Universities are controlling what they can control and mitigating risk and liability. It's the way of the world right now and will be until we transition from pandemic to endemic. They are also looking at the bottom line. Which is more important for all of the above - keeping ball players on the field playing games and avoiding forfeits, or having non ball players picking up bats and handing balls to the umps? Frankly, as they are assessing it, I am sure a lot of "we have no issues last year, so let's keep the status quo" is a big motivator.

Exactly. Every other statement has now been defeated. None of these jokers have to make the decision with the risk and liability.

Homedawg
01-17-2022, 05:06 PM
We would, if people gave a shit. They just don't. So we have to continue with this. I said it from day 1. Wear a mask, stay socially distant, wear a mask indoors, wash your hands. Then when the vaccine came out, do all of that and get the vaccine. When the numbers are way down, ditch the mask. Keep you circle small.

But nope. People don't want to do any of it. So.... here we are. Greatest country in the world, with the greatest toughest son of a bitches in the world, can't take a small shot and wear a mask. 17n bunch of C**ts if you ask me.

Then explain to me why countries that have done ALL of that have similar numbers to ours?? States that have done all of that etc. yeah I know you'll blame no masks(which don't work) and everyone else. Go ahead I've heard it before.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-17-2022, 05:25 PM
I would like to add, I like seeing the young coed girls up there dancing and what not. So I hope they do get to do it. They are very attractive so I support it.

The dancers are not the Diamond Girls.

Todd4State
01-17-2022, 06:41 PM
I guess we should let the players take their unis home and wash them so we can get rid of the managers. I mean the managers being close to them might cause a way bigger risk****

Ha! Have some rep!

Commercecomet24
01-17-2022, 06:49 PM

Excellent!

Vandownbytheriver
01-17-2022, 06:51 PM

So what exactly do the Diamond Girls do?

Cowbell
01-17-2022, 07:55 PM

What exactly do cheerleaders do

Vandownbytheriver
01-17-2022, 07:57 PM

These days they seem to do the latest TikTok craze that will get them 10s of 10s of views.

TigerMomofaDawg
01-17-2022, 08:07 PM

Normally, on game days, they retrieve bats and foul balls and take water to the umpires. They also greet fans and used to sell programs until State did away with printed programs. On non-game days, they help work events for former players and baseball camps. They also step up to do whatever else needs doing, such as decorating Christmas trees at the Bryan. They work with Maroon Memories to help with all the goodwill programs for little kids. They are the ambassadors of the baseball program. Since Covid, all they are doing is selling merchandise on game days. That is a task that marketing handled pre-Covid.

What is crazy is that these Covid decisions are ostensibly being made to protect the students at State, all of whom are young adults and are perfectly capable of making their own decisions to protect themselves. For example, my family chose to get vaccinated. Some choose not to. That is a decision for each person to make after conducting his or her own risk-benefit analysis. Individuals can evaluate the level of risk and take steps to mitigate that risk or not, but many people are sick and tired of this nonsense of canceling and modifying the things we do in life especially when those decisions are made based on optics rather than actual risk.

Pancho
01-17-2022, 08:31 PM
Sho is some optics for sure.

RocketDawg
01-17-2022, 09:37 PM

Isn't the consensus now that the virus is airborne only, and not passed along by touching surfaces?

FISHDAWG
01-18-2022, 01:08 PM

if they are allowed on the football field then they should be allowed on the baseball field

Lord McBuckethead
01-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Then I have to ask, what the heck do diamond girls do, and why are they considered a tradition if I didn?t know what they do after going to games for 20 years? Seems to me, they are something we do and not really integral to our team.

Lord McBuckethead
01-19-2022, 08:51 AM
They are not on scholarship no. They are volunteers and get nothing in return other than the "prestige" that comes with it

What ?prestige??

Lord McBuckethead
01-19-2022, 08:55 AM
Homedawg gets it.

I disagree. Home dog doesn?t get it. The university only controls what it controls. They are responsible to limit what they can. Diamond dogs girls are something that frankly doesn?t offer much and can be temporarily eliminated. I, you, and home dog do not have that responsibility. I now support this decision. Let these gals just go to the game like everyone else. What happens away from the field, is not the universities responsibility.

Hot Rock
01-19-2022, 09:47 AM
I disagree. Home dog doesn?t get it. The university only controls what it controls. They are responsible to limit what they can. Diamond dogs girls are something that frankly doesn?t offer much and can be temporarily eliminated. I, you, and home dog do not have that responsibility. I now support this decision. Let these gals just go to the game like everyone else. What happens away from the field, is not the universities responsibility.

Yep, they made the right decision. There will always be people that can't understand that will bitch an moan. These are hard decisions that real leaders make in these times. It may help the team stay on the field playing even through this latest surge.

I think we all hope that thing will end and soon. I believe this Omicron variant is just what we all needed to make that very thing happen too. It is so contagious that everyone is getting exposed and those that are going to get it, vaccinated or not will have gotten it in a few more weeks. That ever elusive herd immunity will finally arrive until the next variant but as I understand it, as the new variants come and go they will be less and less deadly.

Pancho
01-19-2022, 11:48 AM
Is this situation to be reviewed once more later this month? At this point it's like a cat chasing his tail. He gets tired and quits for a bit but then eventually gets back at it.

Homedawg
01-19-2022, 01:19 PM

Yes, that's true. So why not get rid of the managers? The radio crew and everyone else? Guess those people can't pass covid along to baseball players though****

Cooterpoot
01-19-2022, 01:27 PM

And again, two other schools in the same state, one in the conference, both under the same IHL and same SDH, have not eliminated them. Even you don't believe Covid is the real reason. Neither do all the former players fighting this against our AD & President.

Lord McBuckethead
01-19-2022, 01:53 PM
Yes, that's true. So why not get rid of the managers? The radio crew and everyone else? Guess those people can't pass covid along to baseball players though****

The managers are around the team all the time, and I would argue are necessary to get our team outfitted and ready to play.
The radio crew? They are in the booth and do not mix with the club on any practical level. I would argue, that if they did meet with players, they should stop doing that too.

This "whataboutism" does absolutely nothing for this conversation. The fact is, Diamond Girls are just something we do not have to have for baseball to take place. It is a luxury, and as adults we should all understand that it isn't required or even necessary.

Again, the only thing that matters is that the people that are responsible for the health and safety of our players is doing their jobs. It sucks, yes. But necessary. And you can second guess them all you want, if the responsibility fell to you, I would bet 100% you would change your tune.

Lord McBuckethead
01-19-2022, 01:54 PM
And again, two other schools in the same state, one in the conference, both under the same IHL and same SDH, have not eliminated them. Even you don't believe Covid is the real reason. Neither do all the former players fighting this against our AD & President.

I would argue that their leadership is 17n up and being dumbasses.

Lord McBuckethead
01-19-2022, 01:56 PM

Well then, what is it then? Because I have not seen a single person with inside knowledge of this situation spell it out. To me, it is temporarily eliminating something we do not need due to covid, which makes 100% sense. So spell it out. What is really going on here, and make sure what you say is 1st hand knowledge of the situation. Adding bullshit to this discussion isn't going to help anything.

OLJWales
01-19-2022, 02:17 PM
Delete

Homedawg
01-19-2022, 02:17 PM
The managers are around the team all the time, and I would argue are necessary to get our team outfitted and ready to play.
The radio crew? They are in the booth and do not mix with the club on any practical level. I would argue, that if they did meet with players, they should stop doing that too.

This "whataboutism" does absolutely nothing for this conversation. The fact is, Diamond Girls are just something we do not have to have for baseball to take place. It is a luxury, and as adults we should all understand that it isn't required or even necessary.

Again, the only thing that matters is that the people that are responsible for the health and safety of our players is doing their jobs. It sucks, yes. But necessary. And you can second guess them all you want, if the responsibility fell to you, I would bet 100% you would change your tune.

So if you're and integral part, it's ok to be around them? As for radio crew they are on the field with them pregame, ride the bus with them and do pregame meals with them, just fyi.

HoopsDawg
01-19-2022, 02:24 PM

chill

OLJWales
01-19-2022, 03:02 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=celebrities+athletes+children+meme&sxsrf=AOaemvIdisn9MEFTawU6YpbSXrJlhf0ifw%3A1642619 972183&ei=RGToYeXACrujqtsP95m-uAU&oq=celebrities+athletes+children+meme&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAM6BwgAEEcQsAM 6BggAEBYQHjoFCCEQqwI6BQghEKABSgQIQRgAUP0FWJheYOlla ABwAngAgAGZBIgB-hOSAQwwLjEzLjAuMS4wLjGYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#imgrc=KRn1QwYSmA1DRM

Vandownbytheriver
01-19-2022, 03:21 PM
This is from an article that Steve wrote about the DGs. Seems that it's not just an instance of them being singled out.

"The number of working staff employed by the University and members of the press have been limited on the sidelines over the course of the global pandemic. The number of photographers for football has been drastically cut. Free lance photogs who were once a part of the Saturday shooting gallery have not been issued credentials for the past two seasons.
During the 2021 college baseball season, Mississippi State provided photographs for working media. The close quarters of the dugout camera wells did not provide sufficient room for the usual demand for photographer credentials.
The basketball ball kid program has been suspended for two seasons now as the University seeks to limit the number of personnel on the floor. In fact, members of the Mississippi State media have been relocated to the upper sections of Humphrey Coliseum."

FISHDAWG
01-19-2022, 04:07 PM
This is from an article that Steve wrote about the DGs. Seems that it's not just an instance of them being singled out.

"The number of working staff employed by the University and members of the press have been limited on the sidelines over the course of the global pandemic. The number of photographers for football has been drastically cut. Free lance photogs who were once a part of the Saturday shooting gallery have not been issued credentials for the past two seasons.
During the 2021 college baseball season, Mississippi State provided photographs for working media. The close quarters of the dugout camera wells did not provide sufficient room for the usual demand for photographer credentials.
The basketball ball kid program has been suspended for two seasons now as the University seeks to limit the number of personnel on the floor. In fact, members of the Mississippi State media have been relocated to the upper sections of Humphrey Coliseum."

in other words - Blame China ... Not Cohen