PDA

View Full Version : Sorry SEC ump just cost AT LEAST one run...

maroonmania
04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
ran the DVR back in slow motion and Henderson's foot is on the bag when the ball is still 6 inches from the Auburn first baseman's glove. Even a tie should have gone to the runner.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-19-2013, 07:08 PM
same here. Hope that doesnt come back to bite us.

Spider-Man
04-19-2013, 07:18 PM
I felt like we should've already been out of the inning though. Norris should have been rung up.

maroonmania
04-19-2013, 07:31 PM
I felt like we should've already been out of the inning though. Norris should have been rung up.

Borderline pitches are judgement calls. The play at first was clearly safe with no doubts about it. Like I said it wasn't even a tie whcih would still have gone to the runner.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Borderline pitches are judgement calls. The play at first was clearly safe with no doubts about it. Like I said it wasn't even a tie whcih would still have gone to the runner.

I love that saying. In all the rulebooks I have ever read I have yet to see that rule. Everyone always says tie goes to the runner but that isn't a rule at all. Not picking on you just pointing out that it isn't a rule like most people believe.

maroonmania
04-19-2013, 07:44 PM
I love that saying. In all the rulebooks I have ever read I have yet to see that rule. Everyone always says tie goes to the runner but that isn't a rule at all. Not picking on you just pointing out that it isn't a rule like most people believe.

Well a tie has to go to somebody. Not that it mattered on that play since it wasn't a tie.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Well a tie has to go to somebody. Not that it mattered on that play since it wasn't a tie.

The reason a tie doesn't go to the runner is there is never a tie. There are some very close calls and you just have to trust your gut. I have 10 years of umpiring under my belt and I know I have missed my fair share, it happens. However if you are umpiring at this level you shouldn't blow that call. The most advanced league I ever umpired was American Legion ball. I agree with you that he missed the call I was just pointing out the common error when it comes to a "tie".

maroonmania
04-19-2013, 08:10 PM
The reason a tie doesn't go to the runner is there is never a tie. There are some very close calls and you just have to trust your gut. I have 10 years of umpiring under my belt and I know I have missed my fair share, it happens. However if you are umpiring at this level you shouldn't blow that call. The most advanced league I ever umpired was American Legion ball. I agree with you that he missed the call I was just pointing out the common error when it comes to a "tie".

Ok, whatever, but I think you are trying to get way too technical. There are definitely plays that are too close for the human eye to resolve and those are "virtual" ties and a call has to be made one way or the other. At least traditionally (and I certainly haven't sat and read a rule book) those calls have gone to the runner but I understand that at enough decimal places on a digital clock it would be near impossible to technically have an actual tie.

msstate7
04-19-2013, 08:12 PM
We got the call when no run is at stake. We still got screwed

maroonmania
04-19-2013, 08:19 PM
We got the call when no run is at stake. We still got screwed

Way to go Ammarati. Way to pick up the umpire. Geez, we have to make the most boneheaded baserunning blunders of anyone in college baseball. What in the HELL was he doing?

slickdawg
04-19-2013, 08:25 PM
When Bradford and Henderson are our leading hitters, we're screwed.

dickiedawg
04-20-2013, 08:05 AM

While its not expressly stated, the requirement to retire the batter is that the fielder tags him or the base, with the ball of course, BEFORE the runner gets there. If there's a tie, the throw didn't beat the runner.