PDA

View Full Version : Novac has earned the WBB job

preachermatt83
01-06-2022, 11:32 PM
He?s done a good job.

PCHSDawg
01-07-2022, 08:01 AM
While I agree he's exceeded my expectations, I don't know if they'll coronate him just yet. He's kind of taken the Gary Henderson path here. No telling what JC will do.

KOdawg1
01-07-2022, 08:31 AM
I've lost enough interest that I'm cool if we just give him the job.

He seems like a solid coach and the players seem to respond well to him.

Barring a total collapse, he's put himself in a good position.

BrunswickDawg
01-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Way to early to tell on this one. So far, so good, but we've only played 2 SEC games. Long way to go.

Cooterpoot
01-07-2022, 09:21 AM
What? He won a game against a lower end team last night. Plus, he doesn't want the job. Holy shit! We win one damn game and people lose their crap? We got crushed by SC and will get crushed by every good team on the schedule.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-07-2022, 09:22 AM
I've lost enough interest that I'm cool if we just give him the job.

He seems like a solid coach and the players seem to respond well to him.

Barring a total collapse, he's put himself in a good position.

Lost Interest? Are the girls not playing fundamental basketball ball anymore or have they stopped taking pictures with fans after the games?

Dawgology
01-07-2022, 09:52 AM
Lost Interest? Are the girls not playing fundamental basketball ball anymore or have they stopped taking pictures with fans after the games?

It’s a fringe sport and we were at the top of it. Then we lost the leader of that and royally fumbled the coach hire. Additionally, fans watched the team fall apart, transfers, arrests, etc. plus looking terrible and embarrassing on the court during games. Plus a portion of the fan base was turned off due to the politics of the new coach (I never tracked any of that I don’t with any coach). It’s a recipe for a full on disaster and a primer on how to kill a program quick. It took several years for Vic to build the momentum and fan support this program had and it will take at least that long to get it back assuming they start have success on the court again.

basedog
01-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Way to early to tell on this one. So far, so good, but we've only played 2 SEC games. Long way to go.

He has done ok, but I think the way the season plays out tells the real story. I wish him well, as he inherited a "dumpster fire"!

Quaoarsking
01-07-2022, 09:55 AM
What? He won a game against a lower end team last night. Plus, he doesn't want the job. Holy shit! We win one damn game and people lose their crap? We got crushed by SC and will get crushed by every good team on the schedule.

Alabama has a NET in the 40s, making it a Q1 win. But don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Ari Gold
01-07-2022, 10:04 AM
It’s women’s basketball... if we are good that great , if we aren’t then oh well..
that may be a very unpopular opinion with some but it’s reality

klong-dog
01-07-2022, 10:25 AM

Lost by 12 @ #1, with them coming off a loss. They played the whole first half with them. Hard to say that was getting crushed.

preachermatt83
01-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Alabama has a NET in the 40s, making it a Q1 win. But don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Yup

PGHBulldogBG
01-07-2022, 10:34 AM
I have not had a chance to watch any of our WBB games this year, but the record and results based on the situation are pleasing. Hopefully he can build off that win last night and have us at a respectable record come the end of the year

Cowbell
01-07-2022, 10:49 AM

He doesn't want the job? You mean to tell me that he was glad to be an assistant at our program but doesn't want to be the head man? That would be interesting if true....

StarkVegasSteve
01-07-2022, 10:53 AM
Been very impressed just listening to the guy. He seems like he has a good grasp of the team and judging by results it looks like they respond well to him.

ZedFedder
01-07-2022, 10:57 AM
If he can recruit, I think he can coach.

OLJWales
01-07-2022, 11:03 AM

NO. (Sorry Tusk)

tcdog70
01-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Played without Rikki---then Taylor got hurt and played on a gimpy leg--great win and great job Coaching

thf24
01-07-2022, 12:58 PM
It?s a fringe sport and we were at the top of it. Then we lost the leader of that and royally fumbled the coach hire. Additionally, fans watched the team fall apart, transfers, arrests, etc. plus looking terrible and embarrassing on the court during games. Plus a portion of the fan base was turned off due to the politics of the new coach (I never tracked any of that I don?t with any coach). It?s a recipe for a full on disaster and a primer on how to kill a program quick. It took several years for Vic to build the momentum and fan support this program had and it will take at least that long to get it back assuming they start have success on the court again.

NMP is a clear bust in hindsight, but I don't fault Cohen for it. Even coming close to replacing Vic was a practically impossible ask. He was one of a tiny handful of elite coaches in the sport, and the gap to the next tier is massive. There doesn't seem to be much due diligence you can do beyond taking a shot at a disciple of one of those elites, which Cohen did. I don't know how much of her propensity for political expression was known prior to her hire, but regardless I highly doubt it would have mattered if she'd been a better coach. Bottom line is we were fortunate to have our run and it was always very unlikely to be sustainable after Vic no matter who we hired.

StarkVegasSteve
01-07-2022, 01:00 PM
NMP is a clear bust in hindsight, but I don't fault Cohen for it. Even coming close to replacing Vic was a practically impossible ask. He was one of a tiny handful of elite coaches in the sport, and the gap to the next tier is massive. There doesn't seem to be much due diligence you can do beyond taking a shot at a disciple of one of those elites, which Cohen did. I don't know how much of her propensity for political expression was known prior to her hire, but regardless I highly doubt it would have mattered if she'd been a better coach. Bottom line is we were fortunate to have our run and it was always very unlikely to be sustainable after Vic no matter who we hired.

Her politics had absolutely nothing to do with her coaching. She was in over her head and it showed. Just like Cohen?s politics have nothing to do with him being a crappy AD. He is in over his head and he continually shows it.

basedog
01-07-2022, 01:23 PM
Her politics had absolutely nothing to do with her coaching. She was in over her head and it showed. Just like Cohen?s politics have nothing to do with him being a crappy AD. He is in over his head and he continually shows it.

Her biggest problem was she tried being friends with players, she should have used better judgement and instead of being best friend!

Quaoarsking
01-07-2022, 01:31 PM
her propensity for political expression

She literally had 1 tweet where she said she was proud to live in a country that was willing to elect a black woman to the office of VP, and then she deleted it when people got pissy about it.

That's it. The "omg politics" knock on her is a joke.

thf24
01-07-2022, 02:03 PM
She literally had 1 tweet where she said she was proud to live in a country that was willing to elect a black woman to the office of VP, and then she deleted it when people got pissy about it.

That's it. The "omg politics" knock on her is a joke.

Devil's advocate response on my part. But right or wrong, we know those who hold it against her mean more than strictly reference to activities of elected government when they say "politics." Regardless, the point is few would have truly cared about any of it if she'd been successful as a coach here.

NCMSTFAN
01-07-2022, 02:07 PM
Why did this thread turn into a thread about Nikki and politics? I wish politics would stay out of sports no matter what side you are for. This is about Novak and what his potential is going forward and from what I've seen and listened to the man is really good at X's and O's. He also has two committments from 4 star recruits. The man is also well respected in the coaching community. Here is what Pat Summitt said about him years ago.

“Our staff spent two days at Anderson University watching Doug’s team practice. I always
learned so much watching him put concepts together. We were a better team because of the time
we spent watching Coach Novak’s practices.” —Pat Summitt, Former Head Coach, University of
Tennessee"

He has alot of experience, even at lower levels he has gained respect with his schemes and knowledge. I like him and hope we keep him.... here are other compliments on Coach Novak:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/athletics.bethel.edu/documents/2014/2/5/What_they_are_saying_about_Coach_Novak.pdf

NCMSTFAN
01-07-2022, 02:16 PM
He just got a committment from former 4 star guard Alyza Wilson who averaged 12 pts and 3 rebs a game for Michigan State. Very crafty and quick offensive player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYXIZMO8ED0

KOdawg1
01-07-2022, 02:26 PM

No need to get your panties in a wad.

I've lost interest. I used to never miss a game. I can't tell you when our next game is or who it's against.

It's nothing personal.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Get a hot Redhead or Blonde either on the staff or on the team and more would pay attention.

Leroy Jenkins
01-07-2022, 03:35 PM
It?s women?s basketball... if we are good that great , if we aren?t then oh well..
that may be a very unpopular opinion with some but it?s reality

Yep. I, like most people, don't give a monky's nutsack what happens to WBB. I hope they do well for the players and their families because it is important to them, but that is about as far as it goes.

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aR0Dj7B_700bwp.webp

NCMSTFAN
01-07-2022, 04:24 PM
Get a hot Redhead or Blonde either on the staff or on the team and more would pay attention.

Thats ignorant

Turfdawg67
01-07-2022, 04:26 PM
It?s women?s basketball... if we are good that great , if we aren?t then oh well..
that may be a very unpopular opinion with some but it?s reality

It's reality with most fans. I mean I watched a couple of MSU vs SC games and the Natl Championship game. That's about it for our 3-4 year elite run. I would feel the same with softball or M/W golf. But that's just me.

Turfdawg67
01-07-2022, 04:28 PM
Why did this thread turn into a thread about Nikki and politics? I wish politics would stay out of sports no matter what side you are for. This is about Novak and what his potential is going forward and from what I've seen and listened to the man is really good at X's and O's. He also has two committments from 4 star recruits. The man is also well respected in the coaching community. Here is what Pat Summitt said about him years ago.

“Our staff spent two days at Anderson University watching Doug’s team practice. I always
learned so much watching him put concepts together. We were a better team because of the time
we spent watching Coach Novak’s practices.” —Pat Summitt, Former Head Coach, University of
Tennessee"

He has alot of experience, even at lower levels he has gained respect with his schemes and knowledge. I like him and hope we keep him.... here are other compliments on Coach Novak:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/athletics.bethel.edu/documents/2014/2/5/What_they_are_saying_about_Coach_Novak.pdf

Same handful do it whenever they can.

RocketDawg
01-07-2022, 05:23 PM
Only watched one game - but he seemed to have the players on the same page, working together, and having good attitudes. All of that is an improvement, so give him a chance.

Coach34
01-07-2022, 11:54 PM
Who cares? It's girl's basketball. Hire Sarah Silverman and let her tell jokes at halftime or hire Joy Reid now that she is being fired from MSDNC

662dawg
01-08-2022, 12:19 AM
Who cares? It's girl's basketball. Hire Sarah Silverman and let her tell jokes at halftime or hire Joy Reid now that she is being fired from MSDNC

AOC would be a better hire than both of them. Come on man!

Cowbell
01-08-2022, 01:48 AM
Thats ignorant

I bet you are fun at parties...

MetEdDawg
01-08-2022, 10:08 AM

Women's team has more Q1 wins than the men's team.

NCMSTFAN
01-08-2022, 10:27 AM
I bet you are fun at parties...

Lol typical cool comedian guy.. just calling a spade a spade, that was an ignorant statement

OLJWales
01-08-2022, 12:56 PM
Thats ignorant

And THAT'S Woke. It was just a humor jab; not Ignorance; no biggie man.

Cowbell
01-08-2022, 02:03 PM
Lol typical cool comedian guy.. just calling a spade a spade, that was an ignorant statement

He was adding humor to the conversation...lighten up.... have some fun

NCMSTFAN
01-08-2022, 04:07 PM
And THAT'S Woke. It was just a humor jab; not Ignorance; no biggie man.

The hell does woke have to do with this?

NCMSTFAN
01-08-2022, 04:11 PM
He was adding humor to the conversation...lighten up.... have some fun

Fair enough.. Im all about humor, but you just never know who reads these boards, trust me... obviously none of the girls look that way

Pancho
01-08-2022, 04:42 PM
Novak seems to just have more grit and passion in his voice than Howland. Maybe they should switch

NCMSTFAN
01-08-2022, 05:09 PM
Novak seems to just have more grit and passion in his voice than Howland. Maybe they should switch

I agree, he seems excited when he talks about the game and the players

Quaoarsking
01-08-2022, 05:26 PM

"Woke" is a word that doesn't actually mean anything by itself, it's just a stand-in for a generic insult when one is needed.

Catfish
01-08-2022, 05:34 PM
He'll make a great head coach!

OLJWales
01-08-2022, 06:04 PM
"Woke" is a word that doesn't actually mean anything by itself, it's just a stand-in for a generic insult when one is needed.

Uh.. No....not even close. Fail.

OLJWales
01-08-2022, 06:19 PM

Claiming ignorance when he was only throwing a lighthearted joke on a board dominated by men as if he had damaged an imaginary protected victim class. What if Women Chat online wanting those throwback NBA shorts that reveal more Junk?

NCMSTFAN
01-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Claiming ignorance when he was only throwing a lighthearted joke on a board dominated by men as if he had damaged an imaginary protected victim class. What if Women Chat online wanting those throwback NBA shorts that reveal more Junk?

Oh stop lol now you are the one being extra and going way overboard. The term "woke" had absolutely nothing to do with this...

Quaoarsking
01-08-2022, 08:07 PM
Uh.. No....not even close. Fail.

Yes, you failed when you just decided to call someone "woke" because he didn't like the joke (that had nothing to do with race anyway)

You're not alone in that, and it's not a big deal. But "woke" just means whatever the speaker wants it to mean in that second, it doesn't have an objective agreed-upon definition anymore, and it's exclusively used as a throwaway insult these days.

Santiago
01-08-2022, 10:27 PM
Can Novak coach the men's team also

PGHBulldogBG
01-08-2022, 10:44 PM
I agree, he seems excited when he talks about the game and the players

That?s because Novak isn?t here collecting a retirement paycheck. He is here to win games
and requires 100 percent effort every game

NCMSTFAN
01-09-2022, 11:02 AM
Yes, you failed when you just decided to call someone "woke" because he didn't like the joke (that had nothing to do with race anyway)

You're not alone in that, and it's not a big deal. But "woke" just means whatever the speaker wants it to mean in that second, it doesn't have an objective agreed-upon definition anymore, and it's exclusively used as a throwaway insult these days.

Agreed

NCMSTFAN
01-09-2022, 11:02 AM
That?s because Novak isn?t here collecting a retirement paycheck. He is here to win games
and requires 100 percent effort every game
He definitely has passion, you can heat it in his voice

Pancho
01-09-2022, 02:10 PM

i thought folk of any race could be woke.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-09-2022, 04:29 PM
Only 7 players dressed out vs Vandy today.

CovertDawg
01-09-2022, 04:58 PM
First game I have watched this year. We have played very very well in this 4th quarter.

NCMSTFAN
01-09-2022, 05:00 PM
Just beat Vandy 70 to 63 with 7 players... One of our best in Rickea is out with Covid as well.

NCMSTFAN
01-09-2022, 05:01 PM
Anastasia Hayes is a really good player. If we can get some depth back with Ashley Jones, Rickea and Raven we have a solid team

Quaoarsking
01-09-2022, 05:01 PM
Another big win. We are building a tournament resume.

captaindog
01-09-2022, 05:46 PM
Another big win. We are building a tournament resume.

That was an unreal win. I was really impressed with the game plan, in game adjustments and how he was able to keep everyone playing steady. There were several times when we could given up.

NCMSTFAN
01-09-2022, 06:02 PM
As of right now, the job is his to lose unless you have a homerun hire. He has the girls playing really well especially being short handed. Add in two 4 star recruits that he got and I don't know why you would take a chance on anyone else at this point.

KOdawg1
01-09-2022, 06:30 PM
Well he just won another game with only 7 players. I'm impressed with him.

CaptainObvious
01-09-2022, 06:33 PM
I like him. This team has a ways to go. But there is a reason coaches used to go to watch his practices. Regardless of Alan Iverson?s opinion practice is important at this level. Apparently Nikki knew her other assistants couldn?t run a quality practice with the right drills and intensity and she brought this guy in. These players are way ahead of last years team in desire, effort and positioning.

NCMSTFAN
01-09-2022, 07:46 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkPf6KQh8uM

I'm really starting to like Novak

jdelta02
01-09-2022, 08:33 PM
Nice to see posters getting along somewhat better in these women's basketball threads. Rough spots in the threads here and there but overall a good bit better discussions relative to a while back.

Cowbell
01-09-2022, 08:42 PM
Nice to see posters getting along somewhat better in these women's basketball threads. Rough spots in the threads here and there but overall a good bit better discussions relative to a while back.

That's because this team has leadership again and they are playing to their potential. Jdelta you need to check out the mens thread if you want the rough stuff lol

Cowbell
01-09-2022, 08:43 PM
Well he just won another game with only 7 players. I'm impressed with him.

I am as well. I'm officially paying attention again and it's not just because we are winning.

Dawgface
01-09-2022, 09:03 PM
It would be nice if our long term coach is already on staff. Hopefully the team continues to grow and it works out for Novak.

basedog
01-09-2022, 09:56 PM
Novak is definitely making a case for himself to be named HC.

ZedFedder
01-09-2022, 09:57 PM
If he can recruit, then he has to be the guy. The coaching side of things is evident.

captaindog
01-09-2022, 10:24 PM
If he can recruit, then he has to be the guy. The coaching side of things is evident.

I was cautiously optimistic when he was able to convince high school forward D Powe to go ahead and sign. However I was very impressed when he was able to get Michigan State transfer A Winston to enroll this past week. She had offers from UConn, Texas, and Baylor.

CadaverDawg
01-09-2022, 10:38 PM
We should be able to hire him for cheap too. Pocket that extra money we're saving and use it for the impending Howland and Leach buyouts. **

Cooterpoot
01-09-2022, 10:39 PM
And what happens when we have a losing SEC record or Miss the tourney? You guys haven't seen but two SEC games against two teams in the lower level of the conference. Better wait it out. Trust me, I've got experience in learning that lesson.

IMissJack
01-09-2022, 10:40 PM
We should let him give a speech to the football team about playing short handed.

CaptainObvious
01-09-2022, 11:07 PM
And what happens when we have a losing SEC record or Miss the tourney? You guys haven't seen but two SEC games against two teams in the lower level of the conference. Better wait it out. Trust me, I've got experience in learning that lesson.

But it is much more fun to get excited and praise team and coaches after some early season success than to start bitching about Leach and Howland after the first 2 guaranteed losses. 😳😳😳