PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds: Why hasn't MSU sold injuries being the reason for this season's problems?

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2013, 09:47 AM
This is a great question because injuries at the QB position, dating back to Spring practice, has completely cost us any offensive identity this season.

Are we so NOBLE of a fan base that we refuse to even make the most obvious excuses?

Florida and UGA have been using the injury excuse all year, but we have had just as critical of injuries.

The other thing that drives me nuts is when people think it's true that "You are what your record says you are" just because Bill Parcells said it. That is the biggest load of coach speak I've ever heard. Interesting to me how we accept that coach speak is usually crap, but when Bill Parcells uses this quote , which is obviously coach speak to keep his players from making excuses, we accept it as fact.

Not every team is what their record says they are. Some teams really are much better than their record indicates.

bluelightstar
11-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I would think we don't use injuries as an excuse because that's not the reason we're 4-6. We're 4-6 because we couldn't get a 1st down against Auburn or stop them from going 90+ yards in less than 2 minutes. We're 4-6 because we turned the ball over 5 times against South Carolina. We're 4-6 because we had no offensive gameplan in the first game of the year. We're 4-6 because we couldn't take advantage of chances against Alabama.

There's always an exception to the rule, but no, generally he is dead-on. You are what your record says you are.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2013, 09:55 AM
I would think we don't use injuries as an excuse because that's not the reason we're 4-6. We're 4-6 because we couldn't get a 1st down against Auburn or stop them from going 90+ yards in less than 2 minutes. We're 4-6 because we turned the ball over 5 times against South Carolina. We're 4-6 because we had no offensive gameplan in the first game of the year. We're 4-6 because we couldn't take advantage of chances against Alabama.

There's always an exception to the rule, but no, generally he is dead-on. You are what your record says you are.

So you don't think that we score any more points in those games if Dak doesn't miss spring practice, Tyler doesn't get hurt against OK State, Dak doesn't get hurt against A&M, and Tyler doesn't get hurt against Bama?

You think Auburn drives the field for a TD if Jay Hughes is out there?

Just saying that injuries have very much effected our season, to what extent is impossible to say, but that goes for UGA and Florida as well. Why do they get to use those excuses and we don't?

And, by the way, we aren't what our record says we are. IMO

The Croom Diaries
11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
This offense is on the verge of setting a bunch of MSU records (total TD, total yards, YPG, first downs, total plays, rushing TD, passing yards, passing YPG, completion % and total completions). It's kind of hard to say an offense like that has been hampered by injuries to the point of being unable to secure victories.

Look - Dan Mullen said himself this season has been a disappointment even if we go 6-6. That statement alone makes me lean towards wanting him back next year. I may not be happy with the results, but I don't want a coach that makes excuses. That's a feather in Mullen's cap for me.

bluelightstar
11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
So you don't think that we score any more points in those games if Dak doesn't miss spring practice, Tyler doesn't get hurt against OK State, Dak doesn't get hurt against A&M, and Tyler doesn't get hurt against Bama.

Just saying that injuries have very much effected our season, to what extent is impossible to say, but that goes for UGA and Florida as well. Why do they get to use those excuses and we don't?

And, by the way, we aren't what our record says we are. IMO

Florida has been through 2 starting QBs, 1/2 the line, and a lot of the defense; Georgia's entire offense except Murray seems to have been injured at some point or another. Our problem hasn't been the injuries (though you always prefer no injuries), it's been not putting the players actually on the field in the best position to be successful. And yes, I do think Auburn would still have scored on our prevent defense - Jay Hughes or not.

Look, if we lose out because we have to play Damian, then Mullen has an injury excuse, but I don't think there's a valid one yet.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2013, 10:04 AM
This offense is on the verge of setting a bunch of MSU records (total TD, total yards, YPG, first downs, total plays, rushing TD, passing yards, passing YPG, completion % and total completions). It's kind of hard to say an offense like that has been hampered by injuries to the point of being unable to secure victories.

Look - Dan Mullen said himself this season has been a disappointment even if we go 6-6. That statement alone makes me lean towards wanting him back next year. I may not be happy with the results, but I don't want a coach that makes excuses. That's a feather in Mullen's cap for me.

Good post, and I agree with Mullen saying 6-6 is unacceptable. The offense has done some good things, but there have been injuries.

I thought it was an interesting question by Bo this morning.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Florida has been through 2 starting QBs, 1/2 the line, and a lot of the defense; Georgia's entire offense except Murray seems to have been injured at some point or another. Our problem hasn't been the injuries (though you always prefer no injuries), it's been not putting the players actually on the field in the best position to be successful. And yes, I do think Auburn would still have scored on our prevent defense - Jay Hughes or not.

Look, if we lose out because we have to play Damian, then Mullen has an injury excuse, but I don't think there's a valid one yet.

We've are starting a walk-on in the place of Justing Malone and we have been through two QBs as well. Even worse, they both keep getting hurt, so we can't develop an identity with either.

You make good points though.

Coach34
11-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I would think we don't use injuries as an excuse because that's not the reason we're 4-6. We're 4-6 because we couldn't get a 1st down against Auburn or stop them from going 90+ yards in less than 2 minutes.

If we have Hughes and Malone, and maybe even Tyler in a limited role- we beat Auburn. I think we also lost JLove in that game

Injuries played a huge role in that game

Coach34
11-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Florida has been through 2 starting QBs, 1/2 the line, and a lot of the defense; Georgia's entire offense except Murray seems to have been injured at some point or another.

Florida is going to have a losing season
Georgia has gone from SEC Title contender to 8-4 because of injuries

DownwardDawg
11-20-2013, 10:17 AM

No.

bluelightstar
11-20-2013, 10:20 AM

I don't really see how that's a response to what I said. And sorry, I think all that "what we would have done" to Auburn is pointless speculation, because there's no way to really know. I think we might have beaten Auburn, but I can't say for a certainty that the reason we didn't is simply not having Hughes/Malone/Tyler.

BeastMan
11-20-2013, 11:11 AM

UGA still has a good GT team left that could beat them, especially w/their worst in the SEC scoring defense. UGA is staring 7 wins in the face when they were a darkhorse NC contender pre-season

angusyoung
11-20-2013, 11:33 AM
If you are a home builder and the weather is crappy for a couple of weeks you don't get to use the weather as an excuse as to why you are behind schedule on your projects. You are just stating the obvious. Everyone knows it's been raining.

Likewise when you use injuries as an excuse or explanation for a poor record or poor season performance, you are also just stating the obvious. Everyone knows injuries happen in big boy football. It's part of the game. Your job as a head coach of a big boy football team is to develop a deep roster in the event of a rainy day not throw your hands up and moan about injuries.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2013, 11:44 AM
If we have Hughes and Malone, and maybe even Tyler oin a limited role- we beat Auburn. I think we also lost JLove in that game

Injuries played a huge role in that game

I think if we don't run zone read with Tyler and Perkins we would have a few more wins. Stupid coaching decisions are more to blame for our losses than injuries. Give jrob and Shumpert 25 carries between the 2 and I think we are already bowl eligible.

Barking 13
11-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Again, they have not looked as prepared as they should be. Perhaps injuries account for lack of practice time, or having to fill a gap with someone not ready yet. IDK.. something has been a little off for a while now.

Madkinmecrazy
11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
This is a great question because injuries at the QB position, dating back to Spring practice, has completely cost us any offensive identity this season.

Are we so NOBLE of a fan base that we refuse to even make the most obvious excuses?

Florida and UGA have been using the injury excuse all year, but we have had just as critical of injuries.

The other thing that drives me nuts is when people think it's true that "You are what your record says you are" just because Bill Parcells said it. That is the biggest load of coach speak I've ever heard. Interesting to me how we accept that coach speak is usually crap, but when Bill Parcells uses this quote , which is obviously coach speak to keep his players from making excuses, we accept it as fact.

Not every team is what their record says they are. Some teams really are much better than their record indicates.

This thread is all "coulda, shoulda, woulda." Fact is, you really are what your record says you are. Injuries are a part of football, and complaining about them and making excuses doesn't help anyone or make the losses hurt any less. Yes, I think we would be a better team if we had always been 100% healthy, but so would every team in football history (from middle school to pros). Yes, QB injuries are devastating, but it isn't an excuse. You have to have the next guy in line ready, and we haven't.

That being said, I'm proud as hell of this team right now. They are fighters and they are showing improvement every week. The fact that we aren't trying to use injuries as an excuse makes me respect the team and Dan even more.

Barking 13
11-20-2013, 11:53 AM
This thread is all "coulda, shoulda, woulda." Fact is, you really are what your record says you are. Injuries are a part of football, and complaining about them and making excuses doesn't help anyone or make the losses hurt any less. Yes, I think we would be a better team if we had always been 100% healthy, but so would every team in football history (from middle school to pros). Yes, QB injuries are devastating, but it isn't an excuse. You have to have the next guy in line ready, and we haven't.

That being said, I'm proud as hell of this team right now. They are fighters and they are showing improvement every week. The fact that we aren't trying to use injuries as an excuse makes me respect the team and Dan even more.

agree

Coach34
11-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Fact is, you really are what your record says you are.

Funny, that wasnt the motto last year. Last year it was "we are not as good as our record". Everybody in the ******* world was doing all they could to discredit our 8-4 record- but this year suddenly- "you really are what your record says you are"

Interesting

engie
11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
An argument could also be made that injuries have saved our season to an extent by giving Dak a chance. If Tyler and Dak both remained healthy, this is STILL Tyler's offense -- and in what way would we expect to be improved over last year offensively?

We've been hindered by injuries -- but we haven't been derailed by injuries like UF and UGA have.

dawgs
11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
because we haven't lost a ton of game changing starters for the full season. everyone gets nicked up here and there and misses a game or 2 or part of a game, but uga and florida have both had a ridiculous number of season ending injuries.

tcdog70
11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Our shittiest part of our team is the Special Teams, No injuries there. when you can't kick a 30 yard FG you can't win close games. That and the fact that Dan is the worst red zone Coach in the SEC is also a factor.When you have a consensus All-American Guard and a Remington Watch Center and refuse to run North and South with a 220 lb Running back, your ass will lose close Games. Every Team has injuries.

Madkinmecrazy
11-20-2013, 12:11 PM
An argument could also be made that injuries have saved our season to an extent by giving Dak a chance. If Tyler and Dak both remained healthy, this is STILL Tyler's offense -- and in what way would we expect to be improved over last year offensively?

We've been hindered by injuries -- but we haven't been derailed by injuries like UF and UGA have.

Good point. Dak's playing time has definitely made me feel more positive about MSU's future, that's for sure.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
It's not for me to decide if injuries are an acceptable excuse or not. My only point is that UGA and FL have blamed their seasons on injuries, yet MSU fans don't do the same when we have had critical injuries as well and not even as much depth as those teams.

What critical QB injuries has OM had this year? Make Wallace and Brunnetti different style QBs and then make them alternate which guy plays each game, and we will see how good OM is.

Engie, good point on Dak, but the point remains that he also missed all of Spring practice. How much further along, especially early against Auburn, would he have been if he went through Spring practice? I truly don't know the answer to this, but one would assume he would at least be a little further along.

Coach34, great point about how last season people said we weren't the team that our record said we were, but this year, even though we are a much better team, we are all the sudden what our record says we are. It's a contradictory statement.

msstate7
11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I know it sounds bad, but TR's injury is good for our program. Dak will be a returning starter now instead of a new starter next season.

Hughes and Arrington injuries have really hurt our secondary up until now. Looks like we may be figuring it out now that Redmond and market are playing

msstate7
11-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Beat me to it engie. I was thinking same

Percho
11-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't really see how that's a response to what I said. And sorry, I think all that "what we would have done" to Auburn is pointless speculation, because there's no way to really know. I think we might have beaten Auburn, but I can't say for a certainty that the reason we didn't is simply not having Hughes/Malone/Tyler.

Well you have said, "no way we can really know, and that is correct. Injuries always matter. However that is a part of the equation therefore you are what your record shows you to be. BTw that record can also show bad coaching but by the coach making those decisions understanding 6-6 not being good enough maybe he will make better decisions next year with having more experience.

engie
11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
It's not for me to decide if injuries are an acceptable excuse or not. My only point is that UGA and FL have blamed their seasons on injuries, yet MSU fans don't do the same when we have had critical injuries as well and not even as much depth as those teams.
Because we haven't been NEARLY as injured as those teams. In 2008, we could and did use the injury excuse -- and it was valid. Losing 1 starting OL, 1 starting DB, and being banged up at QB when you've only got 2 valid options in year 5 is NOT an excuse...

What critical QB injuries has OM had this year? Make Wallace and Brunnetti different style QBs and then make them alternate which guy plays each game, and we will see how good OM is.
Brunetti has been injured this year and missed time. Whose fault is it that we've got 2 different styles of QBs and have recruited different styles every single year up until this year -- in recruiting class #6 -- when we apparently finally figured out what works in our offense? Bad thing is -- we went HARD after a pocket, pro-style QB from Cali ahead of Williams last year. So, we literally just figured this out...

Engie, good point on Dak, but the point remains that he also missed all of Spring practice. How much further along, especially early against Auburn, would he have been if he went through Spring practice? I truly don't know the answer to this, but one would assume he would at least be a little further along.
Mullen has proven conclusively that he's not going to offseat upperclassmen regardless of younger guys being better unless it's just ridiculously blatant ala Chris Jones. See Perkins, Whitley, Skinner, and Autry for reference.

Yes, I'm saying that I think Robinson, Arrington, Brown, and AJ Jefferson are AT WORST just as good as the guys playing ahead of them right now. The only ones with legit arguments against are Brown and AJ IMO.

Nicky Santoro
11-20-2013, 02:38 PM
What critical QB injuries has OM had this year?

They've lost a few players - their top OL - Morris, top DE - CJ and Tight End. They may have some other injuries I'm not remembering - but I do remember when they played LSU they were down (or at least they said they were) 5 or 6 starters on Defense.

Point is - they haven't blamed anything on injuries. We don't need to either. Whatever happens happens. We need to recruit more depth and deal with it. That's on Dan.
That's

dawgs
11-20-2013, 05:40 PM

if we lost about half our starters and relevant 2 deep by the halfway point of the season, we'd be in the same boat as uga and florida. the fact that we have the same typical number and types of injuries as damn near every program in the country means we can't really use it as an excuse. everyone can expect to lose a couple of starters/relevant guys off the 2 deep for the season over the course of the year. everyone can expect to have players dinged up that miss a game or 2. that's what's happened to us, nothing exceptional worth attempting to use as an excuse. that's why msu fans aren't bringing up injuries to excuse the season.

also, if you think uga and florida fans are excusing richt and muschamp of anything, you haven't talked to a uga or florida fan lately.

JScottDova
11-21-2013, 12:15 AM
I would say its cause Dan knows people don't want excuses. They want wins. He knows excuses will just piss people off and come off as CYA "please don't fire me" BS. Hell, tsun is already making excuses for Saturday. dawgs don't go into a game conceding it before it's played.

dawgs
11-21-2013, 12:39 AM
dawgs don't go into a game conceding it before it's played.

more than 1 poster on here argued we should sit dak against bama regardless of the extent of his injury to save him for winnable games against arkansas and ole miss. that's he epitome of conceding a game before it's played.