PDA

View Full Version : Makai Polk leaving for the NFL

Op4isabitch
01-02-2022, 04:09 PM
That?s a blow but good for him. He will do good things in the league.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Figured he was headed that way but kudos to him for playing in the bowl game and for staying in after he got his ankle dinged up in the first quarter. Good luck to him I believe he'll do well!

WhiskeyPirate
01-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Deep draft for wide receivers. I think he goes mid to late rounds.

BeardoMSU
01-02-2022, 04:17 PM
Hope he makes it. Would be nice to have some WR's in the league to cheer for.

msstate7
01-02-2022, 04:18 PM
Huge blow. We lose arguably our best 2 offensive players this year

Cowbell
01-02-2022, 04:22 PM
This one hurts - I'm ready for some good news

Leeshouldveflanked
01-02-2022, 04:25 PM
Bizness fixing to pick up in the Portal.

parabrave
01-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Good luck to him. Hope he does well.

Cooterpoot
01-02-2022, 04:34 PM
Won't be surprised if he comes back still. He's got time. He's a late round guy at best right now. We'll see.

NCDawg
01-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Huge blow. We lose arguably our best 2 offensive players this year

Polk was our most consistent W/R. His loss hurts.

Pancho
01-02-2022, 05:01 PM
He showed all he could this past season. No use coming back and doing it again on a 6-6 or 7-5 team.

OLJWales
01-02-2022, 05:02 PM
Y'all think most college coaches honestly like this portal thingy? I would guess no because crootin' itself is time consuming ; this seems extra layers of work and having less control of the roster. But you gotta play the hand dealt.

WhiskeyPirate
01-02-2022, 05:02 PM
WR is also our deepest position although most of them are young. I think w r is the easiest to supplement through the portal because players want to do what Polk did, showcase their skills in the air raid then go,on to the nfl. How many other schools can you catch 100 passes for over a thousand yards ?

There will be a talented veteran wr who will come in through the portal.

We just better hope a couple OTs come along also. Along with safety help.

Catfish
01-02-2022, 05:05 PM
Y'all think most college coaches honestly like this portal thingy? I would guess no because crootin' itself is time consuming ; this seems extra layers of work and having less control of the roster. But you gotta play the hand dealt.

Don't know if coaches like it but for some it's a way to plug holes in their roster. Watch Kiffin in the next month.

basedog
01-02-2022, 05:07 PM
I wish him the best! But we need a game breaking home run wide out, actually we need more than one in this slow mo offense.
I wish the Pirate would be more open to adding a tight end especially in the red zone. I know it’s wishful thinking.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2022, 05:12 PM
He showed all he could this past season. No use coming back and doing it again on a 6-6 or 7-5 team.

well, you come back to play another year of college football. he should have talked to some people and scored and NLI deal. There's a good chance he doesn't get drafted unless he runs a sub 4.5.

MoreCowbell
01-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Do what you do kid but another year would have really upped his draft stock. He is probably a late day 2, early day 3 guy I would assume

SailingDawg
01-02-2022, 05:39 PM
WR is also our deepest position...

Never thought I'd hear that in a Miss State forum.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2022, 06:58 PM
He will be back if I had to bet

msstate7
01-02-2022, 07:06 PM

Man, I hope so.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2022, 08:52 PM

Lol. He's gone.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2022, 10:08 PM
Lol. He's gone.

Well, he aint getting drafted I would bet on that too. If he is it will be late

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2022, 10:08 PM
He just doesnt have enough reps one more year would give him plenty

RezDog7
01-02-2022, 10:47 PM
He just doesnt have enough reps one more year would give him plenty

Honest question. Can you declare for the draft but pull your name out later?

WhiskeyPirate
01-02-2022, 10:50 PM
I think he will get drafted but the knock on him will be his slight frame and durability questions. One more year to physically develop in the weight room would have boosted his stock a lot.

Todd4State
01-02-2022, 11:00 PM
I think there is a deadline to withdraw and come back.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2022, 08:41 AM

Yeah. He was even told to come back to school anyway is what the word is

sleepy dawg
01-03-2022, 09:19 AM
He did what he came here to do. I hope he comes back, but his stock won't improve much. Hard to top the season he's had. I'd be gone if I was him.

yjnkdawg
01-03-2022, 11:32 AM
I hope he does come back , but it seems to me for him to improve his draft stock, he would also need to have more yards per catch (longer passes or yac).

HancockCountyDog
01-03-2022, 12:00 PM
I hope he does come back , but it seems to me for him to improve his draft stock, he would also need to have more yards per catch (longer passes or yac).

I don?t see how he improves his stock. He can?t get bigger or faster. He is who he is.

Best of luck to him.

Todd4State
01-03-2022, 12:16 PM
I don?t see how he improves his stock. He can?t get bigger or faster. He is who he is.

Best of luck to him.

He absolutely can get bigger and faster with training and in the weight room.

bulldawg28
01-03-2022, 02:10 PM

Bigger yes, faster no

WhiskeyPirate
01-03-2022, 02:32 PM
He’s a really skinny dude, nfl d bs are going to get really physical with him.

I was watching highlights of cooper Kupp....leading receiver in nfl catches yards tds

He’s 6-2;205 strong as hell , they line him up at tight end, slot, in the backfield and he just man handles d b s and then runs through them.

He’s similar to Michael Irvin only better IMO.

HancockCountyDog
01-03-2022, 02:47 PM

He isn't going to want to bulk up and get slower. He isn't a burner. He is a solid route runner with good hands.

Another year of running the same route trees and catching maybe 20% more catches isn't going to move his draft stock. WR's and RB's are drafted off their combine numbers and then film. I selfishly want him to stay, but I don't see how his draft stock really improves if he has another solid season for us.

Todd4State
01-03-2022, 02:49 PM
He isn't going to want to bulk up and get slower. He isn't a burner. He is a solid route runner with good hands.

Another year of running the same route trees and catching maybe 20% more catches isn't going to move his draft stock. WR's and RB's are drafted off their combine numbers and then film. I selfishly want him to stay, but I don't see how his draft stock really improves if he has another solid season for us.

You can bulk up and get faster with today's training methods. I participate in it. Work with a group that has helped guys get to the NFL. A lot of science to it. But it can be done.

HancockCountyDog
01-03-2022, 02:52 PM
You can bulk up and get faster with today's training methods. I participate in it. Work with a group that has helped guys get to the NFL. A lot of science to it. But it can be done.

Sure - and I guess he will be doing that over the next few months.

BrunswickDawg
01-03-2022, 02:54 PM

We have the technology......

https://c.tenor.com/-o_RyeFSQ0MAAAAd/the-six-million-dollar-man-six-million-dollar-man.gif

WhiskeyPirate
01-03-2022, 02:57 PM
He’s a good receiver reminds me of Lamar Thomas who played for Miami.

Even now he gets ragdolled pretty good , I think he’s a guy that could benefit from ten pounds of muscle. Nfl draft analysis will comment on this I’d imagine. That would not slow him down it would actually increase his speed if his body fat stayed the same.

Todd4State
01-03-2022, 04:49 PM
Sure - and I guess he will be doing that over the next few months.

As good a shape as he in and considering he is a SEC/NFL caliber athlete- absolutely.

Todd4State
01-03-2022, 04:54 PM
We have the technology......

https://c.tenor.com/-o_RyeFSQ0MAAAAd/the-six-million-dollar-man-six-million-dollar-man.gif

LOL.

Seriously though most football players are going to these types of trainers across the country. Essentially what Hodge and Espy do. It's weight room specific, recovery specific, and as far as football players go position specific.

I'm a big believer in it. MSU players do it too. In fact, a former MSU player worked out at the same facility as I do. I'm hoping that Will Rogers gets in touch with Tom House. His group is incredible. This kind of stuff is why players like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees can play into their 40's at a high level.

bulldawg28
01-03-2022, 04:58 PM
LOL.

Seriously though most football players are going to these types of trainers across the country. Essentially what Hodge and Espy do. It's weight room specific, recovery specific, and as far as football players go position specific.

I'm a big believer in it. MSU players do it too. In fact, a former MSU player worked out at the same facility as I do. I'm hoping that Will Rogers gets in touch with Tom House. His group is incredible. This kind of stuff is why players like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees can play into their 40's at a high level.

They're becoming more explosive for short distance burst. Those guys are glorified strength and conditioning coaches with position specific excercises.

Todd4State
01-03-2022, 05:03 PM
They're becoming more explosive for short distance burst. Those guys are glorified strength and conditioning coaches with position specific excercises.

And it helps players get better at being football players. People can get bigger/stronger/faster at any age.

My group is not football players obviously but we're just trying to get into better shape.

bulldawg28
01-03-2022, 07:54 PM
And it helps players get better at being football players. People can get bigger/stronger/faster at any age.

My group is not football players obviously but we're just trying to get into better shape.

Speed comes from genetics. You can become quicker aka explosive once your 19 or you're not getting faster.

WhiskeyPirate
01-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Speed comes from genetics. You can become quicker aka explosive once your 19 or you're not getting faster.

Let’s say your genetic potential is a 4.7 forty with minimal body fat and lots of squats, weight room work and sprinting/agility drills, core work.

However you are not 9-10 % body fat, you really don’t squat much and lack muscle tone.

Of course you can make yourself faster aka reach your genetic potential.

Walter Payton had to run a lot of hills to get as fast and strong as he was.

bulldawg28
01-03-2022, 09:02 PM
Let’s say your genetic potential is a 4.7 forty with minimal body fat and lots of squats, weight room work and sprinting/agility drills, core work.

However you are not 9-10 % body fat, you really don’t squat much and lack muscle tone.

Of course you can make yourself faster aka reach your genetic potential.

Walter Payton had to run a lot of hills to get as fast and strong as he was.

You're saying what I stated. What you're born with is what you have. Your scenario is a 4.7 that's all you were born with that's all you'll get best case in that situation.

WhiskeyPirate
01-03-2022, 09:16 PM
You're saying what I stated. What you're born with is what you have. Your scenario is a 4.7 that's all you were born with that's all you'll get best case in that situation.

How many humans reach their genetic potential ? Many don’t. Body fat percentage correlates with many physical measurements of speed j7mping ability.

Will Rogers could really benefit from strength and speed training. He didn’t have the benefit of a redshirt and got thrown into service, but if I was him I’d be working out like crazy.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2022, 09:20 PM
If Polk decides to stay, he would be better served working on route running or 40 technique. He will not get significantly faster or stronger in the next 6 months. Any gains in mass will initially slow him unless it's carefully managed. And you're still probably only talking 10-12 pounds gained and he would lose half of that doing the season.

Dude has been training consistently for probably 6+ years, he's not changing much at this point. It's not like he's a 17 year old. By the way, Espy and company might help 14 year olds, but they aren't taking guys from 4.8 to 4.3. There busine$$ is making dads feel like little Johnny has a chance to overcome bad athletic genes.

bulldawg28
01-04-2022, 06:00 AM
If Polk decides to stay, he would be better served working on route running or 40 technique. He will not get significantly faster or stronger in the next 6 months. Any gains in mass will initially slow him unless it's carefully managed. And you're still probably only talking 10-12 pounds gained and he would lose half of that doing the season.

Dude has been training consistently for probably 6+ years, he's not changing much at this point. It's not like he's a 17 year old. By the way, Espy and company might help 14 year olds, but they aren't taking guys from 4.8 to 4.3. There busine$$ is making dads feel like little Johnny has a chance to overcome bad athletic genes.

Parents fall for it like kids and candy.

bulldawg28
01-04-2022, 06:06 AM
How many humans reach their genetic potential ? Many don’t. Body fat percentage correlates with many physical measurements of speed j7mping ability.

Will Rogers could really benefit from strength and speed training. He didn’t have the benefit of a redshirt and got thrown into service, but if I was him I’d be working out like crazy.

He's been with our strength and conditioning program for 2 years now. SEC programs work on EVERYTHING strength and speed related . Will has gotten stronger but what we're seeing is all he's got in him. He's literally almost peaked physically.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-04-2022, 07:46 AM
He's been with our strength and conditioning program for 2 years now. SEC programs work on EVERYTHING strength and speed related . Will has gotten stronger but what we're seeing is all he's got in him. He's literally almost peaked physically.
And this is why 7-8 wins is our ceiling with Will at QB. He cant stretch the field and its comical watching him try to move in the pocket.

Coach34
01-04-2022, 10:13 AM
I told you guys 2 months ago Polk was likely to leave. He caught 100 balls in the SEC. He has nothing left to prove. Now he leave school and train for the Combine/Draft. These guys dont care about college. They want to get paid.

SEC training programs are as good as it gets. But these guys get personal trainers and such because they dont want to go to school. They want to focus on training for The League

Todd4State
01-04-2022, 11:49 AM

Will works with a trainer. I've seen it on his social media. Same one several of our players work with like Malik Heath.

Todd4State
01-04-2022, 11:50 AM
I told you guys 2 months ago Polk was likely to leave. He caught 100 balls in the SEC. He has nothing left to prove. Now he leave school and train for the Combine/Draft. These guys dont care about college. They want to get paid.

SEC training programs are as good as it gets. But these guys get personal trainers and such because they dont want to go to school. They want to focus on training for The League

The player I worked out with was a walk on that was not a NFL prospect.

Turfdawg67
01-05-2022, 10:10 AM

You say that like we are supposed to take what you say as gospel. You also said we'd win 4 games and that the bowl streak was over.

Tater
01-05-2022, 07:15 PM

batting 5 for 5000

Coach34
01-05-2022, 11:13 PM
batting 5 for 5000

I'm a .667 hitter playa

Fader21
01-06-2022, 10:02 AM
I think Jake Wim said yesterday on his show that Polk has not signed with an agent. That gives a small chance that he comes back. Once you sign with an agent you are done in college from my understanding.

Extendedcab
01-06-2022, 10:07 AM
I think Jake Wim said yesterday on his show that Polk has not signed with an agent. That gives a small chance that he comes back. Once you sign with an agent you are done in college from my understanding.

It is a lame rule now considering NIL. Players are getting paid so what does it matter if they have an agent to manage their transition to the pros?

Coach34
01-06-2022, 10:26 AM
It is a lame rule now considering NIL. Players are getting paid so what does it matter if they have an agent to manage their transition to the pros?

excellent point

Commercecomet24
01-06-2022, 10:29 AM

This, it makes zero sense.

Cowbell
01-06-2022, 10:56 AM

How can you know this? He still looks like a high school kid. You have no idea when he will peak