PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing to me the amount of college football analysts,

HoopsDawg
12-31-2021, 10:26 PM
writers, fans, people on this board, etc that think the purpose of expanding the playoff is to find a different champion. Everyone now knows that Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams. That's not the point.

The reason to expand is to create more competitive playoff games, engage with more fanbases, give teams and players on more teams something to play for down the stretch of the regular season. Bowls games aren't completely meaningless, but they will never mean as much as a playoff game. That 8-9 matchup on a college campus will be a lot of fun to watch.

There are hundreds of people on Twitter that don't want to expand the playoffs b/c these 2 games today have been blowouts.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2021, 10:30 PM
Great post and I agree with everything you said.

DownwardDawg
12-31-2021, 10:31 PM
Well, maybe. But it is also to see what else can happen. What do you think that 2014 MSU team could have done against Bama or Oklahoma at a neutral site? Things would have been much different.

Cowbell
12-31-2021, 10:40 PM
Well, maybe. But it is also to see what else can happen. What do you think that 2014 MSU team could have done against Bama or Oklahoma at a neutral site? Things would have been much different.

This is a good point. We would see people handle the regular season much differently too. Totally different. It would be best to do a 32 team playoff.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2021, 10:41 PM
This is a good point. We would see people handle the regular season much differently too. Totally different. It would be best to do a 32 team playoff.

That feels like too many.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2021, 10:42 PM

Of course it could happen. That would be great. My point is everyone is saying things like why would we expand the playoffs when we are getting blowouts like tonight. It's just so short sighted.

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2021, 10:43 PM
https://twitter.com/garyparrishcbs/status/1477111325339922434?s=21

Commercecomet24
12-31-2021, 10:48 PM
https://twitter.com/garyparrishcbs/status/1477111325339922434?s=21

Now that's awesome!

Quaoarsking
12-31-2021, 11:07 PM

After 1 weekend it will be down to 16.

Cowbell
12-31-2021, 11:16 PM

Less regular season games. (This gives you more bowls as playoffs). Only two teams play 5 games, 2 others play 4. The rest play 3 or less.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2021, 11:28 PM
writers, fans, people on this board, etc that think the purpose of expanding the playoff is to find a different champion. Everyone now knows that Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams. That's not the point.

The reason to expand is to create more competitive playoff games, engage with more fanbases, give teams and players on more teams something to play for down the stretch of the regular season. Bowls games aren't completely meaningless, but they will never mean as much as a playoff game. That 8-9 matchup on a college campus will be a lot of fun to watch.

There are hundreds of people on Twitter that don't want to expand the playoffs b/c these 2 games today have been blowouts.

Correct. Great post

Pancho
12-31-2021, 11:32 PM
What If Tank had stayed in bounds.......

Commercecomet24
12-31-2021, 11:39 PM

Wow good point.

Cowbell
12-31-2021, 11:40 PM

Man. O. man.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2021, 11:41 PM
Man. O. man.

Wild to think about ain't it?

Cowbell
12-31-2021, 11:45 PM
Wild to think about ain't it?

Yeah - it argues that a broader playoff is much needed.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2021, 11:52 PM
Yeah - it argues that a broader playoff is much needed.

Absolutely

DownwardDawg
01-01-2022, 01:38 AM
Ok....who is Tank? What happened??

Ok never mind. I looked it up and now I remember. I was watching but didn't know the RB's name.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2022, 07:53 AM
There's never going to be a 32 team playoff. 12-16 teams is about it. And it's still going to be about money. People aren't going to regular bowls anymore. More playoff games means a bigger tv deal. And we'll still be outside looking in if we don't change. The problem is more about AL basically running college football. Since 2008, they've been ranked #1 almost 50% of the polls. They'll still win.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-01-2022, 08:35 AM
There's never going to be a 32 team playoff. 12-16 teams is about it. And it's still going to be about money. People aren't going to regular bowls anymore. More playoff games means a bigger tv deal. And we'll still be outside looking in if we don't change. The problem is more about AL basically running college football. Since 2008, they've been ranked #1 almost 50% of the polls. They'll still win.
^^^^This^^^^ The Bowl system is dead..
Also, like Cooter said, MSU has to change very quickly or we will be left on the outside of everything.

basedog
01-01-2022, 09:11 AM
What is a disadvantage for extended playoff, is the number of games played? I do think we need a few more teams involved but I'm not sue all this will fall into place. With NIL, portals and players opting out I'm not sure how this will end for college football.

Cowbell
01-01-2022, 09:46 AM
What is a disadvantage for extended playoff, is the number of games played? I do think we need a few more teams involved but I'm not sue all this will fall into place. With NIL, portals and players opting out I'm not sure how this will end for college football.

It's all gonna evolve and settle at some point

sleepy dawg
01-01-2022, 11:45 AM
There's no reason a 32 team playoff can't be done. It only seems like too much b/c its more than now and we're not used to it and people are afraid to make change. You could start the playoffs right away and still end everything at the same time. There would just be a few more games for a few teams. 32 teams would still be less than 25% of FBS teams which is still a smaller playoff than the vast majority of sports we watch.

It would be an exciting event that many fanbases would love. No team in the country would feel they couldn't achieve the goal of making the playoffs with the right effort and foresight.

It's time to change.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2022, 11:48 AM
There's no reason a 32 team playoff can't be done. It only seems like too much b/c its more than now and we're not used to it and people are afraid to make change. You could start the playoffs right away and still end everything at the same time. There would just be a few more games for a few teams. 32 teams would still be less than 25% of FBS teams which is still a smaller playoff than the vast majority of sports we watch.

It would be an exciting event that many fanbases would love. No team in the country would feel they couldn't achieve the goal of making the playoffs with the right effort and foresight.

It's time to change.

The powers that be aren't even discussing 16 right now. They are debating between 8 and 12.

We would have to do away with conference championship games to have 32 teams and that's big $$$$ for the conferences. You have to be practical about it.

Quaoarsking
01-01-2022, 11:53 AM
We would have to do away with conference championship games to have 32 teams and that's big $$$$ for the conferences. You have to be practical about it.

The $$$$ would be much bigger with 16 more playoff games (going from 16 teams to 32) than in 10 conference championship games, most of which are stale and meaningless anyway.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2022, 12:12 PM
The $$$$ would be much bigger with 16 more playoff games (going from 16 teams to 32) than in 10 conference championship games, most of which are stale and meaningless anyway.

depends on the revenue sharing. the SEC makes big money from the SEC championship game.

Dawgology
01-01-2022, 01:50 PM
16 team playoff would do. Anyone outside of that really doesn?t stand a chance. I?d like to see something akin to the NIT to fill in for the other bowl games though with a tournament champ, trophy etc. participation wouldn?t be as strong but it would still carry some weight because your team would be the best of the tier.

Quaoarsking
01-01-2022, 02:02 PM
16 team playoff would do. Anyone outside of that really doesn?t stand a chance. I?d like to see something akin to the NIT to fill in for the other bowl games though with a tournament champ, trophy etc. participation wouldn?t be as strong but it would still carry some weight because your team would be the best of the tier.

If you have a 16-team CFP and a 16-team NIT, the NIT would just have the same problems the bowls are having now.

Just to a 24- or 32-team playoff instead and let the NIT-level teams play themselves out in the first round or 2.

Saltydog
01-01-2022, 03:26 PM
I would do two things if I were made king for a day.

Cut the schollies from 85 to 65-70 and go to a 8 team playoff.

We all know the powers that be will never let the scholly reduction happen. They may opt for an 8 team bracket but even said the same teams will continue to dominate. The "x" factor is the scholly reductions. That would bring some much needed parity in the game. In addition, something has to be done about the transfer portal to keep the rich from getting richer and poaching players. Not sure the answer here but there should be some stipulations placed on it. The mindset of "if I don't like it I'll just leave" needs to stop. Also need to cap the NIL.

BrunswickDawg
01-01-2022, 03:30 PM
depends on the revenue sharing. the SEC makes big money from the SEC championship game.

It's not as big of deal now that the TV contracts are so huge. The SEC generated $729 million last year - $497m was the TV contracts. They can easily reconfigure revenue shares to compensate for not having a tittle game. And - when Texas and Oklahoma join, that $497m number will probably grow by $150-200m a year.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2022, 03:41 PM
I would do two things if I were made king for a day.

Cut the schollies from 85 to 65-70 and go to a 8 team playoff.

We all know the powers that be will never let the scholly reduction happen. They may opt for an 8 team bracket but even said the same teams will continue to dominate. The "x" factor is the scholly reductions. That would bring some much needed parity in the game. In addition, something has to be done about the transfer portal to keep the rich from getting richer and poaching players. Not sure the answer here but there should be some stipulations placed on it. The mindset of "if I don't like it I'll just leave" needs to stop. Also need to cap the NIL.

8 team does very little to help MSU. A 12 team is the likely next step. You could keep scholarships at 85 but allow 5 years of eligibilty and cut annual limit to 20. That would help with processing and parity.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2022, 03:41 PM
It's not as big of deal now that the TV contracts are so huge. The SEC generated $729 million last year - $497m was the TV contracts. They can easily reconfigure revenue shares to compensate for not having a tittle game. And - when Texas and Oklahoma join, that $497m number will probably grow by $150-200m a year.

I'm all for it. The conference championship games are dumb. And there is very little interest in the Pac 12 championship game.

Saltydog
01-01-2022, 03:46 PM
8 team does very little to help MSU. A 12 team is the likely next step. You could keep scholarships at 85 but allow 5 years of eligibilty and cut annual limit to 20. That would help with processing and parity.

12 doesn't substantially help us either to be honest. The scholarship deducts is the real answer.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2022, 04:13 PM
12 doesn't substantially help us either to be honest. The scholarship deducts is the real answer.

That's why I have been advocating for 16 for about the past 5 years.

Quaoarsking
01-01-2022, 04:38 PM

At 24, we're at least in the mix in November around half the time.

Not that the playoff should be designed solely to benefit us, but there are dozens of schools in the same boat as us.

Dak Holliday
01-01-2022, 05:18 PM
Scholarship reduction creates more parity. With more parity, we can compete to get into the top 8. 8 is the magical number. Literally adds 1 more game/level allowing Conference championship games to stay and doesn?t really require dropping any regular season games, which would hurt the vast majority of teams.

Reg Season and Conf CG, P5 Conf Champs secure spots with 3 at large.