PDA

View Full Version : We are who we thought we were

Dak Holliday
12-28-2021, 10:57 PM
I almost don?t know what to say. Today was, as Clark Griswold put it- the biggest bag over the head punch in the face. 10 point favorites. Our offense against their defense. Their bad defense. Then we saw what a former Mike Leach AirRaid QB would do to stop the offense he knows like the back of his hand, and we couldn?t score. This is what I said early on. Pure AirRaid is not dependable and no, it?s not indefensible.
Will will always put up numbers. All AirRaid QBs do. He will set records and we will hover around.500 while losing games that we care about most. We will not lose because of him, but we won?t win because of him either.
Strap in, guys, we will have plenty to complain about for years to come. We can?t afford from a program standpoint to run CML off.

Maroonthirteen
12-29-2021, 09:33 AM
The concerning part to me, is State has been physically whipped more than a few times this season. I was really concerned with that aspect of the game, with the "air raid". Even Memphis was more physical than State in that game.

Leach is going to have to figure out. This is still a LOS game. If bringing 4-5 rushers disrupts your offense, you have huge huge issues. Especially with a immobile QB.

tcdog70
12-29-2021, 09:36 AM
Will had a bad game--we had 3 turnovers -they had 0.. We played without our 2 starting tackles-Heath was out--Tolu got hurt. On defense-crap we were missing 8-9 players--we are not good enough to play defense with out our best players. TT showed us how important special teams are--they are great in the kicking game-we suck. Look--don't forget we over-achieved for the season--We didn't have any good luck--got screwed out of 2 games by the Refs. We will be much better next year--We got smacked with a team that wasn't ready and had at least 8 starters not playing.. So as they say "wait till next year".

DesotoDog1967
12-29-2021, 09:54 AM
I just drove past that big metal tomb of the Liberty Bowl on my way in to work. There should be a petition draw up for State never to play there again.

You come across some Aggie fans on SECRANT and they will tell you it was wise to back out when you have a shell of a team. Personally I am glad it was played.

Will is the kind of kid you hope your daughter marries. Good Kid, local boy with roots in the OM/State rivalry. He is a great ambassador for State. But is he the best option they have on the field? Probably not. Its a shame, you want to route for that guy to succeed.

I look to Kentucky and wonder if sticking with a coach long term is the right way to go. Yes State beat them this year, but they are now always in Citrus bowl contention. State maybe could be that more in pod situation when you don't have Bama every year

Extendedcab
12-29-2021, 11:06 AM
Will had a bad game--we had 3 turnovers -they had 0.. We played without our 2 starting tackles-Heath was out--Tolu got hurt. On defense-crap we were missing 8-9 players--we are not good enough to play defense with out our best players. TT showed us how important special teams are--they are great in the kicking game-we suck. Look--don't forget we over-achieved for the season--We didn't have any good luck--got screwed out of 2 games by the Refs. We will be much better next year--We got smacked with a team that wasn't ready and had at least 8 starters not playing.. So as they say "wait till next year".

If I had a dollar every time I heard that saying I would be richer than the Rockefeller's! We were beat by a freshman QB! When will our freshmen produce? Why is it always the other teams?

parabrave
12-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Yep running the same offense that you ran when the opposing coach was your QB is a recipe for disaster. Face they knew exactly what we were going to do before we snapped the ball.

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 06:44 PM
If I had a dollar every time I heard that saying I would be richer than the Rockefeller's! We were beat by a freshman QB! When will our freshmen produce? Why is it always the other teams?

You could scream this from the mountain tops and the only call back you?d get would be your own echo. One thing I?ve learned on here is that if you hold our team to an expectation, the I survived pre 1990 MSU football crowd will shout you down. Tell you to shut it up. You?re just negative. Then the participation trophy kids will kick in to agree. Sunshine pumpers that can?t stand a MSU critique and will call into question your fandom because you want more.

Pancho
12-29-2021, 07:01 PM
yep and Leach gone win bout 6 or 7 next year again too

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 07:16 PM
Hopefully.

yjnkdawg
12-29-2021, 11:38 PM
The concerning part to me, is State has been physically whipped more than a few times this season. I was really concerned with that aspect of the game, with the "air raid". Even Memphis was more physical than State in that game.

Leach is going to have to figure out. This is still a LOS game. If bringing 4-5 rushers disrupts your offense, you have huge huge issues. Especially with a immobile QB.

In this day and time in college football, I think you are normally going to have problems with defensive pressure if you have an immobile quarterback.

Bothrops
12-30-2021, 01:00 AM
Our defensive depth should be at Northwestern St. and SWLA. They got punished by the Big 12. I mean really beat up on last night. Moorhead is still in the building I'm afraid.

Maverick91
12-30-2021, 09:46 AM

This, this right here. Also, add in the fact that this offense goes as the QB goes. I will say it until I am blue in the face, he is a true sophomore, and we saw true sophomore issues this whole season, and the other night was no different. People keep bringing up other sophomores and that they don't have the issues that Will has, while that is true. Not every system is built the same. There is a reason why Leach NEVER started a sophomore EVER until Will, because he had to play Will. Other offenses can disguise sophomore wows, there are built in reads, check with the coach for literally everything, much more running. With the Air Raid, it rest all on the QB's shoulders. That is awesome if you don't have a freshman or sophomore QB. If Rogers wins the starting gig next year, I think he is going to make this year look like child's play.

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2021, 10:01 AM
You could scream this from the mountain tops and the only call back you?d get would be your own echo. One thing I?ve learned on here is that if you hold our team to an expectation, the I survived pre 1990 MSU football crowd will shout you down. Tell you to shut it up. You?re just negative. Then the participation trophy kids will kick in to agree. Sunshine pumpers that can?t stand a MSU critique and will call into question your fandom because you want more.

Well, most people on here expected a 6-7 win season. A whole lot predicted less and an end to the bowl streak. So where are the missed expectations? Yours? Well boo freaking hoo. Every media outlet (which I know you will say you don't care about) predicted us dead last in the SECW, and we finished tied for 3rd with our 2nd best SEC record of the past 20 years. Season wasn't perfect, had a number of missed opportunities, but there was progress. Call it sunshine pumping all you want. But, I'll take it over unrealistic expectations any day of the week.

Extendedcab
12-30-2021, 11:14 AM
This, this right here. Also, add in the fact that this offense goes as the QB goes. I will say it until I am blue in the face, he is a true sophomore, and we saw true sophomore issues this whole season, and the other night was no different. People keep bringing up other sophomores and that they don't have the issues that Will has, while that is true. Not every system is built the same. There is a reason why Leach NEVER started a sophomore EVER until Will, because he had to play Will. Other offenses can disguise sophomore wows, there are built in reads, check with the coach for literally everything, much more running. With the Air Raid, it rest all on the QB's shoulders. That is awesome if you don't have a freshman or sophomore QB. If Rogers wins the starting gig next year, I think he is going to make this year look like child's play.

Why is it our Sophomores are not as good as the other teams Freshmen? TT freshman QB had a better game than our Sophomore QB. Why does that seem to happen more often than not? I'm tired of the excuses - we are young! Who cares, so were they!

Maverick91
12-30-2021, 03:01 PM
Why is it our Sophomores are not as good as the other teams Freshmen? TT freshman QB had a better game than our Sophomore QB. Why does that seem to happen more often than not? I'm tired of the excuses - we are young! Who cares, so were they!

boss, I explained this in my message. Different systems. I bet you put Will in the TT system where he has half the pressure he has in the air raid and he would have done pretty good.

Dak Holliday
12-30-2021, 04:30 PM
boss, I explained this in my message. Different systems. I bet you put Will in the TT system where he has half the pressure he has in the air raid and he would have done pretty good.

Will couldn?t have made either of the throws that the TT QB did to start the 3rd quarter. Will is extremely fortunate to be in an AirRaid system. It?s what he?s always played, and what he is suited for. He?s not a better QB than the TT QB.