PDA

View Full Version : I've been a Will Rogers fan

MaroonFlounder
12-28-2021, 10:00 PM
But I hope one of the other guys can beat him out in the Spring or Fall.

We will be stuck in a 6 or 7 win rut. That's his ceiling.

WhiskeyPirate
12-28-2021, 10:04 PM
You can be slow footed with a big arm or you can have a weak arm and be a great runner......but you can’t have a weak arm and be painfully slow.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2021, 10:07 PM
Hahaha

MaroonFlounder
12-28-2021, 10:14 PM
Hahaha

Sorry man. I don't care about the video game stats. Meaningless, they are, without wins.

Will and Leach can't beat the turds in Ox. They are dead to me.

MetEdDawg
12-28-2021, 10:16 PM
OL and WR inconsistency tonight did not help him at all.

He may not be a world beater but he team did not help him out tonight.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2021, 10:16 PM
Sorry man. I don't care about the video game stats. Meaningless, they are, without wins.

Will and Leach can't beat the turds in Ox. They are dead to me.

Ok

Lord McBuckethead
12-28-2021, 10:18 PM
I mean, every spot on the team is open, except maybe D Johnson, A Williams, and Polk. Those guys keep coming through regardless of how every other person on the team is playing.

Lord McBuckethead
12-28-2021, 10:23 PM
I will disagree though. Will has what we need. He needs to work on his arm strength hard over the off season. Like he needs to add some damn arm strength and throw a bunch all off season. Also, Leach needs to go watch some other Air Raid teams and pick up some new tricks.

Now even with that, Sawyer, Greek, and the new guy needs to get up to speed quick, prior to camp. We need a competition.

KOdawg1
12-28-2021, 10:26 PM
He's erased the Auburn game with his last two performances for me.

I was starting to believe in him but now we're back to square one.

His stats are good, but he's below .500 as a starter and 0-2 in Egg Bowls. Something's gotta give.

Doggie_Style
12-28-2021, 10:27 PM
I just don’t think ‘arm strengh’ is something you can dramatically improve…..you either have it or you don’t….ask Danny Wuerful

Maroonthirteen
12-28-2021, 10:28 PM
Yeah. I've rooted for him all year. Give him pass after pass.

Looking back on the season as a whole, he doesn't handle big pressure games well. On top
Of that he isn't an sec athlete.

Todd4State
12-28-2021, 10:29 PM
Will sometimes tries to do too much and he needs to just play the game and trust the system. He did a poor job tonight although it wasn't all his fault.

Walley was bad. He has to work on being more consistent. Our line has some issues at times which was understandable given the situation.

msstate7
12-28-2021, 10:32 PM
If you believed in will before this game, I wouldn't let 1 bad game change your mind.

I really don't know what to think of will. I didn't believe in him, and then he played much better than I thought he was capable of. Think I'll just take a wait-and-see approach

Commercecomet24
12-28-2021, 10:35 PM
Will had a bad game. It does happen. I hope he uses it as motivation to make himself and the team better because it looks like we riding with him.

Cowbell
12-28-2021, 10:38 PM
Will made some mistakes. But when I watch this game, his play or lack there of wasn't the deciding factor. Leach can take this one as far as I'm concerned. We aren't ready to play.

Turfdawg67
12-28-2021, 10:44 PM
He's definitely back to old Will. Locking in on one receiver when others are wide open.

msudawg1200
12-28-2021, 10:47 PM
He'll work hard to get right in the off-season.

Dawgfan77
12-28-2021, 11:00 PM
Hahaha
I watched will since he was in the 8 th grade. He is who he is... sorry Wyatt we need a true SEC QB

Leeshouldveflanked
12-28-2021, 11:02 PM
Ole Miss beat us twice this season.

Cooterpoot
12-28-2021, 11:04 PM
Will's last two games were really bad. He had a few. But nobody is beating him out this year. Leach will never play an inexperienced guy unless he has to due to injury or something. Plus, who is ready to challenge him? Nobody on this roster. Unless we go after a portal guy, Will is it.

Dak Holliday
12-28-2021, 11:05 PM
Will is what Leach is looking for. He knows the system and by this point, he will be almost impossible to unseat because of this. The problem is and will be that the system is not near as plug and play as some are hoping and today showed that in great detail.

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2021, 11:26 PM
I watched will since he was in the 8 th grade. He is who he is... sorry Wyatt we need a true SEC QB

Yeah he clearly cant do it

Maroonthirteen
12-28-2021, 11:45 PM
The problem is and will be that the system is not near as plug and play as some are hoping and today showed that in great detail.

Seems to me, the problem is the offense is simple to prepare for if given time. Leach has no adjustments to his system. Then his system QB has no ability to adjust either when elements of the offense are taking away by the defense.

Dak Holliday
12-28-2021, 11:47 PM
I don?t disagree. Playing against one of CML?s old AirRaid QBs was very eye opening for many today.

Todd4State
12-29-2021, 12:04 AM
Seems to me, the problem is the offense is simple to prepare for if given time. Leach has no adjustments to his system. Then his system QB has no ability to adjust either when elements of the offense are taking away by the defense.

I think the reshuffled offensive line has the most to do with it. This offense is built around timing and reps. That and I think Will tried to do too much plus they did a good job of limiting our possessions by running clock.

Cooterpoot
12-29-2021, 12:12 AM
I think the reshuffled offensive line has the most to do with it. This offense is built around timing and reps. That and I think Will tried to do too much plus they did a good job of limiting our possessions by running clock.

The OL wasn't bad. No worse that all season really. That was one of the worst pass defenses in America. They sold out to get pressure and we couldn't beat them. We had terrible QB and WR play tonight, just like our last game. Our coaches didn't do a good job either.

Bothrops
12-29-2021, 12:15 AM
Will Rogers may as well be the only qb on the roster. Mike Moorhead is going to play that fiddle on deck as the ship sinks into the abyss. This game was beyond embarrassing and we are in deep shit next year.

Todd4State
12-29-2021, 12:18 AM
The OL wasn't bad. No worse that all season really. That was one of the worst pass defenses in America. They sold out to get pressure and we couldn't beat them. We had terrible QB and WR play tonight, just like our last game. Our coaches didn't do a good job either.

It wasn't what I would consider good either. We allowed like six sacks and we had trouble when they stunted and knowing who to pass the defender off to. That's what I'm talking about when I'm talking about the re-shuffling of the line being an issue.

And yes the QB and WR play were also issues as well.

Maroonthirteen
12-29-2021, 12:24 AM
TT took away the swing pass and under routes. Rogers was then forced to look deeper and he just can't execute those passes well enough.

BayouDawg
12-29-2021, 12:34 AM
Will Rogers may as well be the only qb on the roster. Mike Moorhead is going to play that fiddle on deck as the ship sinks into the abyss. This game was beyond embarrassing and we are in deep shit next year.

Twice mike leach had an incumbent qb beat out in the off season after record setting seasons at wazzu. Say what you will you about leach but he literally has an open qb competition every off season.

Todd4State
12-29-2021, 02:30 AM
TT took away the swing pass and under routes. Rogers was then forced to look deeper and he just can't execute those passes well enough.

I don't get that about him sometimes. He's actually pretty good throwing the ball 15+ yards.

FISHDAWG
12-29-2021, 09:45 AM
Will sometimes tries to do too much and he needs to just play the game and trust the system. He did a poor job tonight although it wasn't all his fault.

Walley was bad. He has to work on being more consistent. Our line has some issues at times which was understandable given the situation.

yes maybe Will could have played better but I was also seeing receivers covered like paint that couldn't get a lot of separation consistently ... I know there were times but overall TT had pretty good coverage against us

WhiskeyPirate
12-29-2021, 09:53 AM
It’s those throws further than 20 yards he just can’t make. The defense really doesn’t have to defend any further than 20 yards with Will in there. That is a lot less space for receivers to attack. Robertson or Locke will make them defend about twice the area just based on arm strength alone. They can also move their feet pretty well.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2021, 10:07 AM
Will is fine if fine is what we’re looking for.

Problem is, he doesn’t have the athleticism to make plays and help us win when he isn’t playing well.

OM probably won a few games this year where Corral didn’t play well but made a play with his legs or arm that gave them just enough

confucius say
12-29-2021, 10:16 AM
Will is fine if fine is what we’re looking for.

Problem is, he doesn’t have the athleticism to make plays and help us win when he isn’t playing well.

OM probably won a few games this year where Corral didn’t play well but made a play with his legs or arm that gave them just enough

TN and Ark

FISHDAWG
12-29-2021, 10:48 AM
Will is fine if fine is what we?re looking for.

Problem is, he doesn?t have the athleticism to make plays and help us win when he isn?t playing well.

OM probably won a few games this year where Corral didn?t play well but made a play with his legs or arm that gave them just enough

at least we aren't depending or pinning all our hopes on a "Portal" QB ..... there are several teams in worse predicaments than us

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2021, 10:55 AM
at least we aren't depending or pinning all our hopes on a "Portal" QB ..... there are several teams in worse predicaments than us

Maybe we should be

FISHDAWG
12-29-2021, 11:03 AM
Maybe we should be

won't argue that since we don't currently have a dependable back-up ..... I know absolutely nothing about Lovertich but still don't have a feeling of dependable with him or the others yet

Maroonthirteen
12-29-2021, 11:13 AM
As someone said, TT played great pass defense last night. But there was times, that State had a WR in a window 20 yards down field. By the time the ball got there, the safety was able to make up ground to disrupt the catch.

Leach's offense, basically, has 3 guys running a route within 5 yards of the los and two guys going deeper. So, the deep guys will almost always be double covered. Defenses are playing two deep and closing those windows on the floaters to deep WRs.

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 11:14 AM
won't argue that since we don't currently have a dependable back-up ..... I know absolutely nothing about Lovertich but still don't have a feeling of dependable with him or the others yet

Isn?t Lovertich done?

yjnkdawg
12-29-2021, 11:26 AM
In a Q&A a week or so ago, CML said he wanted a mobile QB in the pocket but not a run first QB.

msstate7
12-29-2021, 11:29 AM
In a Q&A a week or so ago, CML said he wanted a mobile QB in the pocket but not a run first QB.

I like this. I do want a guy that will take off 7-8 times a game though

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 11:30 AM
That?s a tall order. Most mobile athletic QBs are quick to rely on mobility/athleticism if the first read isn?t there. He says not run first, but what he means is run only if absolutely necessary. He wants a QB to throw the ball.

msstate7
12-29-2021, 11:41 AM
That?s a tall order. Most mobile athletic QBs are quick to rely on mobility/athleticism if the first read isn?t there. He says not run first, but what he means is run only if absolutely necessary. He wants a QB to throw the ball.

Joe burrow comes to mind. Drew Brees could move in the pocket very well, but wasn't very athletic. Just find the next one of those 2 haha

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 11:48 AM
😂 exactly

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 11:59 AM
I must admit, Bryce Young surprised me. For as athletic as he his, he was very much a pass first, run only when necessary type QB. He extended lots of passing plays.

EdwardDrayton
12-29-2021, 11:59 AM
So with a full season of watching Will Rogers, just don?t foresee him being more than what we?ve seen from him.

So with Leach?s reputation as an aerial assault minded coach, why does it seem he is struggling so to entice a true better-than-average QB?

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 12:02 PM
I don?t know if most young QBs actually want to throw the ball 90% of the time.

Dawgfan77
12-29-2021, 12:15 PM
It won't happen but Leach should go all in on the Wyoming transfer QB

Pancho
12-29-2021, 01:01 PM
It won't happen but Leach should go all in on the Wyoming transfer QB
We thought the same thing the other day. The added dimension would strengthen the play call options and make it more difficult on the D for sure.

WhiskeyPirate
12-29-2021, 02:28 PM
I look for a grad transfer q b to be brought in. Robertson and Locke are very talented for this offense but young.

msstate7
12-29-2021, 02:31 PM
I look for a grad transfer q b to be brought in. Robertson and Locke are very talented for this offense but young.

Will was too. If sawyer isn't pushing will next year, he was overrated imo

WhiskeyPirate
12-29-2021, 02:41 PM
Will was too. If sawyer isn't pushing will next year, he was overrated imo

Will is playing out of necessity. Leach has never started redshirt freshman when he has a veteran q b who can play.

Will has done his job the best he can, but his ceiling is probably about what you saw this year.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2021, 04:44 PM

That's what we should all want. That's what an NFL QB is

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2021, 04:45 PM

Bryce Young ran for 36 yards or so this year yet is one of the most mobile/athletic QBs in college football

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2021, 04:46 PM
Joe burrow comes to mind. Drew Brees could move in the pocket very well, but wasn't very athletic. Just find the next one of those 2 haha

Drew was very athletic. Very quick with great feet. He just wasn't fast. People tie athleticism & speed together too often. Speed is just one of many ingredients that can make someone athletic & you don't need all the ingredients. Quick feet is far more indicative of athleticism than speed

Dak Holliday
12-29-2021, 04:47 PM
I must admit, Bryce Young surprised me. For as athletic as he his, he was very much a pass first, run only when necessary type QB. He extended lots of passing plays.

Yes, I know. I agree with you 100%, Shotgun. He?s still a pretty rare find..

Commercecomet24
12-29-2021, 04:49 PM
Drew was very athletic. Very quick with great feet. He just wasn't fast. People tie athleticism & speed together too often. Speed is just one of many ingredients that can make someone athletic & you don't need all the ingredients. Quick feet is far more indicative of athleticism than speed

This is correct. Brady, Marino, Brees and many others show this very thing.

yjnkdawg
12-29-2021, 11:25 PM

I think what he means is run if that is the last and only option (like you said). And for those who thinks he just wants a statue quarterback there in the pocket that is not mobile or elusive as a passer, he doesn't.