starkvegasdawg
12-25-2021, 06:38 PM
Says Andy Kotska.

parabrave
12-25-2021, 06:40 PM
Thought he opted out earlier.

msudawg1200
12-25-2021, 07:33 PM
It is just now made official, but everyone pretty much knew this.

ZedFedder
12-25-2021, 08:47 PM
Can't blame him.

OLJWales
12-25-2021, 11:37 PM
17 it. Too burnt out on this shit to bitch. No shits left to give.

BuckyIsAB****
12-26-2021, 09:14 AM
Can't blame him.

I totally blame him

bulldawg28
12-26-2021, 09:16 AM
I totally blame him

Old school. This game means nothing

662dawg
12-26-2021, 09:50 AM

Every game means something if you?re loyal to your team, the school you used for the opportunity to play at the next level, the fans & if you?re competitive.

Homedawg
12-26-2021, 10:12 AM
He's a day 3 pick more than likely .... what he does at combine is going to be how high on day 3. Would have to kill it to get to third round. His 40 time isn't stellar

trob115
12-26-2021, 11:03 AM
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I didn't think that Emerson was all that impressive. I hope he has a good career in the NFL, but I think he will have to stick as a special teamer to make it.

bulldawg28
12-26-2021, 11:18 AM
He's a day 3 pick more than likely .... what he does at combine is going to be how high on day 3. Would have to kill it to get to third round. His 40 time isn't stellar

Injury prevention

Turfdawg67
12-26-2021, 11:21 AM
17 it. Too burnt out on this shit to bitch. No shits left to give.

Yet your post is all about you bitching and giving a shit...

KOdawg1
12-26-2021, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't jeopardize millions and a future nfl career on the Liberty Bowl either.

Thankful we got to watch him 3 years. I never really noticed him, and that's because he locked down his side of the field for the most part.

Maroonthirteen
12-26-2021, 11:44 AM

The majority of the fan base has "opted out."

That's so New School cool.*

somebodyshotmypaw
12-26-2021, 01:30 PM

Every game, every practice, every day means something. When it’s time to compete, competitors show up and show out. I believe it, and I live it every day. When I retire I will relax.

ZedFedder
12-26-2021, 01:36 PM
I agree the game means something. Here is the issue, though. Dave Nichol isn’t going to be there. He’s in Southern Cal recruiting for a completely different school. It’s hard to expect young men to follow a different example set by those who lead them.

confucius say
12-26-2021, 01:38 PM
Call it what it is, quitting.

Now if you want to quit early, that is 100% your decision and you have the right to make the best decision for you. You will always be a bulldog, and I hope the nfl goes great.

But why we created the phrase "opting out," to make it sound better is weird. It is quitting.

starkvegasdawg
12-26-2021, 01:49 PM

Now if you want to quit early, that is 100% your decision and you have the right to make the best decision for you. You will always be a bulldog, and I hope the nfl goes great.

But why we created the phrase "opting out," to make it sound better is weird. It is quitting.

This is correct.

Catfish
12-26-2021, 01:51 PM

Agree

Homedawg
12-26-2021, 02:25 PM
Injury prevention

It doesn't bother me at all he's not playing to be honest.

msstate7
12-26-2021, 02:41 PM

I sorta like us getting a chance to play a decent team without cross and Emerson. We're gonna have to play without them next year anyway.

Catfish
12-26-2021, 02:58 PM
I'm just hoping we get to play. Covid knocked out the Military Bowl and the Fenway Bowl today.

Todd4State
12-26-2021, 03:41 PM
I sorta like us getting a chance to play a decent team without cross and Emerson. We're gonna have to play without them next year anyway.

I agree. I want to see what Cordarian Richardson and Nick Jones can do. Will allow us to evaluate the portal better although we already have Banks to replace Emerson.

Bothrops
12-26-2021, 04:05 PM
I'm just hoping we get to play. Covid knocked out the Military Bowl and the Fenway Bowl today.

I'd love it if we played, won, and the Sugar got canceled.

BeardoMSU
12-26-2021, 04:21 PM

This.

Cowbell
12-26-2021, 04:34 PM

Agree with this - especially since their best WR opted out

ScooterDog
12-26-2021, 05:48 PM
We paid their scholarship for them to compete. If they opt out of competing, we ought to be able opt out of their scholarship. Looks to me like they ought to have their scholly revoked. They have their reasons for quitting, I understand that, but they shouldn't have their cake and eat it too.

Catfish
12-26-2021, 05:53 PM
We paid their scholarship for them to compete. If they opt out of competing, we ought to be able opt out of their scholarship. Looks to me like they ought to have their scholly revoked. They have their reasons for quitting, I understand that, but they shouldn't have their cake and eat it too.

I could be wrong but I don't think bowl games are part of their scholarships. Somebody who knows more about this, help us out.

confucius say
12-26-2021, 05:53 PM

I doubt they will be in school any longer anyway.

bulldawg28
12-26-2021, 05:55 PM
I doubt they will be in school any longer anyway.

Correct, they'll be training off-site.

starkvegasdawg
12-26-2021, 05:59 PM

While I can't really argue with this it would destroy recruiting. To keep players from opting out it would have to be incentive based. Something along the lines that the players on the winning team gets X amount of the bowl payout and the other team gets some amount less. That would not only maybe keep a few guys playing but would also make them take it seriously since winners get more.

HailState2008
12-26-2021, 06:00 PM

Not saying this is you but if we?re going to complain about players opting out, we better start throwing out the names of the coaches that leave before the season is over, but we don?t because we worship the ground they walk on and say business is business when it comes to coaches.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-26-2021, 06:08 PM
Not saying this is you but if we?re going to complain about players opting out, we better start throwing out the names of the coaches that leave before the season is over, but we don?t because we worship the ground they walk on and say business is business when it comes to coaches.

Fair point.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-26-2021, 06:10 PM

And I didn’t like it when Mullen left us high and dry and didn’t coach the Bowl game. I believe coaches shouldn’t leave until the season is complete. It may not be feasible, but I wish that was the process.

Matt3467
12-26-2021, 06:42 PM

Well if we lump the coaches in then that kind of blows the whole injury prevention excuse out of the water. Both circumstances are sorry.

confucius say
12-26-2021, 07:11 PM

I'm not complaining about players doing it. I have no issue with it honestly. But just like when coaches quit one job to take another, the player is quitting to train for another job. Nobody says a coach opted out of the bowl game.

Maroonthirteen
12-26-2021, 09:09 PM

Fans worship players too. It's why fans get upset the player opts out. Nobody cares Nichols is gone. Everyone does that Cross and Emerson are.

But this whole what about coaches counter point is fallacy. A coaches situation and players are different. Because of early signing day, coaches are offered jobs early and can take the job then or get passed over. Also fans demand coaches show up at their new job to recruit. The coaches have no option but to take the job at that moment or not get the job.

The nfl combine and draft are well after the college bowl season is over. The players can play bowl games and still have time to train for the combine.

OLJWales
12-26-2021, 09:16 PM
Fans worship players too. It's why fans get upset the player opts out. Nobody cares Nichols is gone. Everyone does that Cross and Emerson are.

But this whole what about coaches counter point is fallacy. A coaches situation and players are different. Because of early signing day, coaches are offered jobs early and can take the job then or get passed over. Also fans demand coaches show up at their new job to recruit. The coaches have no option but to take the job at that moment or not get the job.

The nfl combine and draft are well after the college bowl season is over. The players can play bowl games and still have time to train for the combine.

Yep.

Todd4State
12-26-2021, 09:22 PM
While I can't really argue with this it would destroy recruiting. To keep players from opting out it would have to be incentive based. Something along the lines that the players on the winning team gets X amount of the bowl payout and the other team gets some amount less. That would not only maybe keep a few guys playing but would also make them take it seriously since winners get more.

Exactly. Probably going to have to be NIL money of like a million dollars or so to make it worth the risk of I had to guess.

OLJWales
12-26-2021, 09:59 PM
Lloyds will sell a one game policy all day.

StateDawg44
12-27-2021, 08:39 AM
I agree the game means something. Here is the issue, though. Dave Nichol isn?t going to be there. He?s in Southern Cal recruiting for a completely different school. It?s hard to expect young men to follow a different example set by those who lead them.

No, it's not even remotely hard to expect yound men to make their own decisions. They are adults at this point. If you honestly think the tipping point for Cross or Emerson to opt-out was when they saw Dave Nichol go to another school before the end of bowl season then you are pathetic.

Quit blaming others for personal decisions.

OLJWales
12-27-2021, 01:16 PM
No, it's not even remotely hard to expect yound men to make their own decisions. They are adults at this point. If you honestly think the tipping point for Cross or Emerson to opt-out was when they saw Dave Nichol go to another school before the end of bowl season then you are pathetic.

Quit blaming others for personal decisions.

17 this. Coaches have careers; Emerson & Cross have yet to start theirs.

StateDawg44
12-27-2021, 02:05 PM
17 this. Coaches have careers; Emerson & Cross have yet to start theirs.

So everything is just fun and games while they are at college? Career decisions aren't made when they enroll at a particular college at 18 or whenever they enroll? Signing as an athlete, with any school at this point, even before NIL is just as much of a business decision as any other opportunity given to them once they turn 18.

I couldn't care less if anyone with NFL potential sits out their last bowl game unless it's in the CFP. And even a NY6 bowl. But the liberty bowl? C'mon, it means nothing competitively. They've done what they were supposed to do and earned their scholarship if they are draftable as a junior. Pass the torch and let the young guys have some fun and build experience.

They certainly shouldn't give a damn about owing you or me anything after earning a place at the table in the draft. Get over yourself.

Johnson85
12-27-2021, 03:43 PM

I actually understand him quitting more than Cross. Cross is getting drafted high regardless. If he gets hurt in the bowl game, there just aren't a lot of injuries that are career ending and somebody will still draft him and pay him. I'm not sure what it does to Emerson if he gets a nagging injury and his 40 time is slow at the combine. It might be the difference between getting a good first contract and not.

Tater
12-27-2021, 04:35 PM
So everything is just fun and games while they are at college? Career decisions aren't made when they enroll at a particular college at 18 or whenever they enroll? Signing as an athlete, with any school at this point, even before NIL is just as much of a business decision as any other opportunity given to them once they turn 18.

I couldn't care less if anyone with NFL potential sits out their last bowl game unless it's in the CFP. And even a NY6 bowl. But the liberty bowl? C'mon, it means nothing competitively. They've done what they were supposed to do and earned their scholarship if they are draftable as a junior. Pass the torch and let the young guys have some fun and build experience.

They certainly shouldn't give a damn about owing you or me anything after earning a place at the table in the draft. Get over yourself.

You're arguing with selfish stubbornness personified. He'd rather be outraged at his perceived "problem" than list to reason or solutions. There was another thread on here discussing options (paying for player's draft insurance, etc.)

None of it stuck. He's formed his opinion and any discussion is a perceived threat to his psyche. He refuses to be wrong at all costs. Facts aren't on his side? Ignore em.

This is becoming a more pervasive problem in general as people have become as tribalistic about their opinions as they have about sports. Maybe even more so. Welcome to social media's endgame. Grab some popcorn, have a seat, and enjoy the decline.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-27-2021, 04:57 PM

Understood. I only speak for myself. Emerson can do what he feels is best for him. But that phrase "it means nothing competitively" is the phrase that gets to me personally. There is nothing I've ever done "that means nothing competitively". That's why I can't understand how guys opt out. I just can't fathom it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't dislike Emerson and wish him well. I certainly don't disown him. Hope he represents us well in the NFL.

StateDawg44
12-27-2021, 06:36 PM
Understood. I only speak for myself. Emerson can do what he feels is best for him. But that phrase "it means nothing competitively" is the phrase that gets to me personally. There is nothing I've ever done "that means nothing competitively". That's why I can't understand how guys opt out. I just can't fathom it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't dislike Emerson and wish him well. I certainly don't disown him. Hope he represents us well in the NFL.

I respect that and believe me, I'm as competitive as they come. If I'm stepping foot on the field I'm all in. If I'm opting out for the draft I'm not longer stepping foot on the field for my college career.

Mentally they've closed the book on this chapter. Once I actually decide I'm moving on to the next thing it's easy and nothing to get hung up on.

You finish one game to move on to a new game that could change your entire family's trajectory for generations. Actual life-changing money. Plain and simple. The university and fans will get over it and appreciate it later when a fat donation is made. But maybe not if a bunch of folks tell him to 'kick rocks' or 'pound sand'. We gots der liberty bowl on the line fellas!!!

OLJWales
12-27-2021, 10:38 PM
Coaches are many times left with little to no option when to bolt to another team when an opportunity arises that can help your career and/or help your family.

So what new team has Cross & Emerson signed contracts with? What new team is putting heat on them to bolt?

StateDawg44
12-28-2021, 01:26 PM
Coaches are many times left with little to no option when to bolt to another team when an opportunity arises that can help your career and/or help your family.

So what new team has Cross & Emerson signed contracts with? What new team is putting heat on them to bolt?

Well if Emerson goes and gets hurt in the liberty bowl no one probably. Would likely be a very unfortunate mistake.

I'm not going to step into your pretend world and act like Cross isn't just short of having a piece of paper in front of him to sign to become an instant millionaire.

You are wrong. Period.

ETA: Do you believe if Emerson or Cross came out and showed out in the liberty bowl it would dramatically increase where they land in the draft?

BrunswickDawg
12-28-2021, 01:39 PM

I think that is because 99% of us on message boards have never faced this exact issue. We may face opportunities that advance our career or provide us with a better life/work balance, but we don't face the exact decision players do.

OLJWales
12-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Well if Emerson goes and gets hurt in the liberty bowl no one probably. Would likely be a very unfortunate mistake.

I'm not going to step into your pretend world and act like Cross isn't just short of having a piece of paper in front of him to sign to become an instant millionaire.

You are wrong. Period.

ETA: Do you believe if Emerson or Cross came out and showed out in the liberty bowl it would dramatically increase where they land in the draft?

Got it all figered out there don'tcha?

somebodyshotmypaw
12-28-2021, 02:01 PM
I think that is because 99% of us on message boards have never faced this exact issue. We may face opportunities that advance our career or provide us with a better life/work balance, but we don't face the exact decision players do.

That's very fair and very true. And I totally agree. But by that same logic, we can't question why a coach chooses to punt on 4th and 1 rather than go for it because we've never faced the exact same issue. But we can say "if I was coach, this is what I would do". What I'm saying is that if I was Emerson or Cross, I would show up and play. You couldn't keep me off the field.

BrunswickDawg
12-28-2021, 02:41 PM
That's very fair and very true. And I totally agree. But by that same logic, we can't question why a coach chooses to punt on 4th and 1 rather than go for it because we've never faced the exact same issue. But we can say "if I was coach, this is what I would do". What I'm saying is that if I was Emerson or Cross, I would show up and play. You couldn't keep me off the field.

I was a 120% balls out guy when I played too - so I get the idea that my competitive juices would make me want to play. Hell, the last summer I was without kids I played on 7 softball teams (I have an awesome wife).
But, I really do think if all my advisors said that skipping a bowl game (not a playoff game) was in my best interest to assure I make the most money I possibly can in the draft, my ass would spend the day training for the draft. Your combine results can be the difference in 6th round and 3rd round - which is good money. But, for a projected 1st round guy, the range in contracts from #1 pick to #32 last year was $20 million - with most of that range coming in upfront bonus money. If I were Charles Cross, who everyone is charting as a 1st round guy, that makes my decision damn easy, I'm off training to get as high of a draft spot as I can.

StateDawg44
12-28-2021, 05:21 PM
Got it all figered out there don'tcha?

Yes. It is that easy to figure out.

Good to see you understand it now.*

dogshiek
12-28-2021, 05:27 PM
All I know is, I'm sitting in this God forsaken stadium to root for my team that's playing for my university.

Catfish
12-28-2021, 05:29 PM
All I know is, I'm sitting in this God forsaken stadium to root for my team that's playing for my university.

How's the weather?

Lord McBuckethead
12-28-2021, 05:29 PM

If by not playing I was virtually guaranteed Millions of dollars and many more games in the future, I would be on the sideline cheering for my backup and dreaming of buying a kick ass car and trying to get that day-walking redhead in the stands digits.

dogshiek
12-28-2021, 05:30 PM
Windy and occasional drizzle.

Catfish
12-28-2021, 05:32 PM
Windy and occasional drizzle.

I don't suppose you noticed anyone from TT with a wheelbarrow full of money headed towards Coach Leach?

dogshiek
12-28-2021, 05:34 PM
Got some tech boys to ring my cowbell. Jealous of the dawg.

StateDawg44
12-28-2021, 07:58 PM
If what just happened to Dolla Bill doesn't show you then you will never understand.

I'm sure Cross feels pretty good about his decision at this point. Hate seeing #69 get rolled up on like that.