PDA

View Full Version : OT: James Webb telescope launch

RocketDawg
12-23-2021, 09:12 PM
The James Webb space telescope (successor of Hubble) is scheduled for launch in the next day or two. A day or two ago, it was scheduled for Dec 24 at 6:20 a.m. CST, but it appears now that it'll be Christmas morning at the same time. Launch will be on an Ariane V from French Guyana, on the equator.

It'll take a few months to get to his final destination at a LaGrange Point, but its results should be much superior to Hubble.

Let's hope the launch goes well. The project has been in the works for many years.

BeardoMSU
12-23-2021, 09:22 PM
Really cool.

TheLostDawg
12-23-2021, 09:48 PM
The James Webb space telescope (successor of Hubble) is scheduled for launch in the next day or two. A day or two ago, it was scheduled for Dec 24 at 6:20 a.m. CST, but it appears now that it'll be Christmas morning at the same time. Launch will be on an Ariane V from French Guyana, on the equator.

It'll take a few months to get to his final destination at a LaGrange Point, but its results should be much superior to Hubble.

Let's hope the launch goes well. The project has been in the works for many years.

And a ton of $$$. I hope it does go well

OLJWales
12-23-2021, 09:59 PM
Space. The Final Frontier. To Boldly go where no Man has gone Before!#

SailingDawg
12-23-2021, 10:02 PM
Any of y'all see Comet Leonard?

parabrave
12-23-2021, 10:22 PM
Hope all the smudges were wiped clean. Got no shuttle to go capture and fix it this time.

OLJWales
12-23-2021, 10:31 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYE3nm9voUk

parabrave
12-23-2021, 10:40 PM
Will it be able to find Major Tom? He has been missing for fifty years, and dam its been that long.

Quaoarsking
12-23-2021, 11:00 PM
Very excited for this. (And will be a little nervous for the next few months.)

parabrave
12-24-2021, 01:43 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYE3nm9voUk

More like this/

https://youtu.be/AXS8P0HksQo

OLJWales
12-24-2021, 07:48 AM
Will it be able to find Major Tom? He has been missing for fifty years, and dam its been that long.

And don't forget Rocket Man Burning up a fuse up HERE Alone.

OLJWales
12-24-2021, 07:59 AM
More like this/

https://youtu.be/AXS8P0HksQo

Amazing no? 5000 yrs and the best we had were horses. 1840's or so the steam locomotives then 120 yrs or so later Armstrong's Hoping his Legs don't break Walking on the Moon.

parabrave
12-24-2021, 11:54 AM
Amazing no? 5000 yrs and the best we had were horses. 1840's or so the steam locomotives then 120 yrs or so later Armstrong's Hoping his Legs don't break Walking on the Moon.

I don't think kids these days understand how important that was to the kids of the 60's like myself. I remember waiting for that moment like it just happened. Every kid in the neighborhood was outside looking at the moon and t5hen went inside to watch the landing and then Armstrong going down the ladder.

Catfish
12-24-2021, 12:16 PM
I don't think kids these days understand how important that was to the kids of the 60's like myself. I remember waiting for that moment like it just happened. Every kid in the neighborhood was outside looking at the moon and t5hen went inside to watch the landing and then Armstrong going down the ladder.

Neil Armstrong, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
One of the greatest experiences of my youth.

Dawgology
12-24-2021, 12:40 PM

I’ve been tracking this project for years. I discovered my love of space and astrophysics in my late 20’s and was too entrenched in my current career to make the change. In another life I would have worked toward a career in the space industry or at an academic level. Needless to say I consume a lot of info on the subject. This space telescope is going to be a game changer I think. The data it will gather will be phenomenal. Sitting on pins and needles for this launch. Hoping and praying everything goes well. About every other year we go to Huntsville to tour the space and rocket center. I’m trying to convince my boys that they want a career in space science. Haha

CaptainObvious
12-24-2021, 12:56 PM

Pictures.... or it never happe....... oh yeah.... we have pictorial proof! God Blessed the United States of America!

Catfish
12-24-2021, 01:30 PM
Pictures.... or it never happe....... oh yeah.... we have pictorial proof! God Blessed the United States of America!

LOL, so............you don't believe Apollo 11 landed on the moon?

DownwardDawg
12-24-2021, 03:09 PM
Space. The Final Frontier. To Boldly go where no Man has gone Before!#

Awesome!!!!! Memories.....

BeardoMSU
12-24-2021, 03:31 PM

Back...and to the left.....Back....and to the left....Back...and to th....

msudawglb
12-24-2021, 04:22 PM
I agree. Let?s hope it gets up there safely. Many times, I?ve been over at Nexolve in research park and seen the JW sun shield being developed.

parabrave
12-24-2021, 05:33 PM
LOL, so............you don't believe Apollo 11 landed on the moon?

No but Andy Kaufman did.

tireddawg
12-24-2021, 06:35 PM

Pretty good Hollywood production they put on

BeardoMSU
12-24-2021, 06:54 PM
Pretty good Hollywood production they put on

You can thank Stanley Kubrick.**

Joebob
12-24-2021, 06:56 PM
I?ve been tracking this project for years.

I can't imagine what that's been like, with all the delays it's had. It's been frustrating for me and I've only been following it for the last 3 weeks.

OLJWales
12-24-2021, 07:13 PM
Does STATE still have NASA stuff going on?

I remember being 6 in '69 when my parents pulled me from outside to watch the moon landing. They did the same when Nixon Resigned.

Catfish
12-24-2021, 08:13 PM
Does STATE still have NASA stuff going on?

I remember being 6 in '69 when my parents pulled me from outside to watch the moon landing. They did the same when Nixon Resigned.

Yup, we watched it on our black and white television.

parabrave
12-24-2021, 09:37 PM
Yup, we watched it on our black and white television.

We watched it on a color TV, Zeneth, with a record player, but it was in Black and white and remember how weird looking it was.

OLJWales
12-24-2021, 09:43 PM
We watched it on a color TV, Zeneth, with a record player, but it was in Black and white and remember how weird looking it was.

I remember that color Zenith.

Dawgology
12-24-2021, 11:53 PM
I can't imagine what that's been like, with all the delays it's had. It's been frustrating for me and I've only been following it for the last 3 weeks.

It’s been frustrating but awesome. I think it has opened my eyes to how slow and ponderous government contract work can be. I truly believe that the future of space exploration and discovery is in the private sector in collaboration with governments.

mparkerfd20
12-25-2021, 07:16 AM

And to think it was one of the greatest scams of all time shot in a studio. ***

Lord McBuckethead
12-25-2021, 10:15 AM
And a ton of $$$. I hope it does go well

10 billion over 30 years. Who really cares how much it cost? They could have spent 200 billion and it still would have been worth it.

Lord McBuckethead
12-25-2021, 10:21 AM
It’s been frustrating but awesome. I think it has opened my eyes to how slow and ponderous government contract work can be. I truly believe that the future of space exploration and discovery is in the private sector in collaboration with governments.

It would be faster if everyone would be cool with everyone shooting from the hip, not concerned where every dollar was spent, and wouldn?t be so critical if it didn?t work 104%. Seriously hold ups are caused by 25 people who don?t know shit having to sign off on every decision and documenting the money spent in 5 different accounting ways. Pair that with required three quotes and bidding procedures, it 17n retarded.

Mississippi just went to purchase order contracting on construction less than 1 million and now MS design build contracts. Both will help, be even then it kind of hurts competition.

Dawgology
12-25-2021, 04:32 PM
It would be faster if everyone would be cool with everyone shooting from the hip, not concerned where every dollar was spent, and wouldn?t be so critical if it didn?t work 104%. Seriously hold ups are caused by 25 people who don?t know shit having to sign off on every decision and documenting the money spent in 5 different accounting ways. Pair that with required three quotes and bidding procedures, it 17n retarded.

Mississippi just went to purchase order contracting on construction less than 1 million and now MS design build contracts. Both will help, be even then it kind of hurts competition.

Exactly

Dawgology
12-25-2021, 04:35 PM
Good launch. Now we hope the course trajectory moves, array deployments, and other unlocks go well. Then we wait a month for it to reach the 2nd Lagrange point. 1 million miles out!

Lord McBuckethead
12-25-2021, 08:05 PM
The 2nd Lagrange point is awesome. Even just the orbital path and relative velocity is just, damn that?s awesome.

RocketDawg
12-27-2021, 05:45 PM
I?ve been tracking this project for years. I discovered my love of space and astrophysics in my late 20?s and was too entrenched in my current career to make the change. In another life I would have worked toward a career in the space industry or at an academic level. Needless to say I consume a lot of info on the subject. This space telescope is going to be a game changer I think. The data it will gather will be phenomenal. Sitting on pins and needles for this launch. Hoping and praying everything goes well. About every other year we go to Huntsville to tour the space and rocket center. I?m trying to convince my boys that they want a career in space science. Haha

The launch went great but there was certainly some anxiety about it. Now the telescope is on its way. So far, so good. We'll get to see just how good it is in a few months.

Lord McBuckethead
12-27-2021, 05:54 PM
The telescope just passed the moon a little bit ago. Here is a great place to keep up with the many deployment items they have to do before they start adjusting the mirrors.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

Cooterpoot
12-27-2021, 06:24 PM
If pics of peoples' junk wasn't enough, now we'll have to see Uranus too.

OLJWales
12-27-2021, 10:43 PM
If pics of peoples' junk wasn't enough, now we'll have to see Uranus too.

LMAO

OLJWales
12-27-2021, 10:46 PM
10 billion over 30 years. Who really cares how much it cost? They could have spent 200 billion and it still would have been worth it.

That's attitude will lead to our demise.