PDA

View Full Version : Spoil or not to spoil

DeltaSwamp
12-20-2021, 12:29 PM
A buddy is watching the old spider-man movies to get ready for the new one. He's a bit of an ass (and a Reb), so I kind of want to flood a text with spoilers. But idk if that's crossing a line. Thoughts?

Catfish
12-20-2021, 12:32 PM
?

OLJWales
12-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Spoiler alerts should be off limits. Too assholish. Just tell him and Ole Miss to go to Hell.

DeltaSwamp
12-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Kind of where I'm leaning. He's just been a lot since the EB. Not always fun being the bigger person

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-20-2021, 01:17 PM
I think the more concerning issue is the amount of grown men these days that are obsessed with comic books and super heroes.

DeltaSwamp
12-20-2021, 01:23 PM
I think the more concerning issue is the amount of grown men these days that are obsessed with comic books and super heroes.

gfy

Extendedcab
12-20-2021, 01:25 PM

^^^^^This! Repped!

Catfish
12-20-2021, 01:25 PM
Delete

Hot Rock
12-20-2021, 01:31 PM
Crossing the line for me. If he really is a buddy, then why do it? If he is an ass then why associate with him in the first place. My two cents.

Hot Rock
12-20-2021, 01:34 PM
A buddy is watching the old spider-man movies to get ready for the new one. He's a bit of an ass (and a Reb), so I kind of want to flood a text with spoilers. But idk if that's crossing a line. Thoughts?

If he has been ribbing you since the game, the don't show weakness by letting him know he is getting to you. It will just get worse.

Tater
12-20-2021, 01:37 PM

Why is it concerning that the generations who grew up with very few real life good role models in the public media compared to their forefathers (basically Vietnam forwards) have decided to look to idealistic works of fiction to put on a pedestal rather than idolize terrible people? What reason do you have to hate on what people enjoy as escapism from an increasingly bleak world?

Extendedcab
12-20-2021, 01:40 PM
Why is it concerning that the generations who grew up with very few real life good role models in the public media compared to their forefathers (basically Vietnam forwards) have decided to look to idealistic works of fiction to put on a pedestal rather than idolize terrible people? What reason do you have to hate on what people enjoy as escapism from an increasingly bleak world?

It is fantasy, it is no where even related to real world heroes! This is OK for a child but for an adult, I would hope they have moved on from childish things and are more rooted in reality! If not, it explains a lot about the world we live in.

Tater
12-20-2021, 01:46 PM
It is fantasy, it is no where even related to real world heroes! This is OK for a child but for an adult, I would hope they have moved on from childish things and are more rooted in reality! If not, it explains a lot about the world we live in.

Fantastical stories of Magic, Superhuman Strength, Insect Control, Zombies, and the ilk have helped shape this country into what it is today... so I'll concede you're right, this time.

Extendedcab
12-20-2021, 01:50 PM
Fantastical stories of Magic, Superhuman Strength, Insect Control, Zombies, and the ilk have helped shape this country into what it is today... so I'll concede you're right, this time.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year! Go Dawgs!

Captain Falcon
12-20-2021, 01:55 PM

There is very little difference in being a fan of superhero movies and being diehard sports fan. Both are forms of escapism where the only real benefit to you the fan is that you enjoy watching it.

People can like whatever the heck they want as long as it?s not harming other people.

starkvegasdawg
12-20-2021, 02:23 PM

How is this different than any other fictional tv show or movie?

Tater
12-20-2021, 02:28 PM

Because this gets taxed whereas the one that is ok to worship and idolize does not.

Dawgology
12-20-2021, 02:46 PM

One of the most uneducated opinions I’ve ever read on here. Congrats!

Catfish
12-20-2021, 02:53 PM
?

Extendedcab
12-20-2021, 02:59 PM
One of the most uneducated opinions I’ve ever read on here. Congrats!

You're welcome! I will keep my heroes based on reality instead of the ones some nut job created in his demented mind because he needed something other to hope for than Jesus Christ!

Tater
12-20-2021, 03:27 PM
You're welcome! I will keep my heroes based on reality instead of the ones some nut job created in his demented mind because he needed something other to hope for than Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is fantasy, it is no where even related to real world heroes! This is OK for a child but for an adult, I would hope they have moved on from childish things and are more rooted in reality! If not, it explains a lot about the world we live in.

OLJWales
12-20-2021, 03:44 PM
Jesus Christ is fantasy, it is no where even related to real world heroes! This is OK for a child but for an adult, I would hope they have moved on from childish things and are more rooted in reality! If not, it explains a lot about the world we live in.

Prayers Sent.

Catfish
12-20-2021, 03:46 PM

Jesus Christ is a fantasy?

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-20-2021, 03:48 PM

It's not...there is just an insane number of adult children that act like the world revolves around this shit.

I understand people are fans of whatever, but good God don't wear a 17ing Spiderman costume to the movie theater to go see the 11th installment in the series that has come out in the last 3 years.

I liked Game f Thrones when it was on, but if all of a sudden I stated to dress like Jon Snow, and swear by the old gods and the new, I would expect someone to punch me in the face.

Tater
12-20-2021, 03:48 PM
Prayers Sent.

lol. Dude wants to talk about how comic books are fake but promote a book about a zombie with superhuman strength to move boulders and magic illusion spells to change water into blood while also having mystic healing powers. Just have some self-awareness. The story of Spider-Man has way less hoops to jump through to be believable than the Bible.

Extendedcab
12-20-2021, 03:49 PM

Unless you have had a personal experience with God, I have fortunately, you have no basis from which to even form a valid response. I will send prayers also!

Tater
12-20-2021, 03:50 PM
It's not...there is just an insane number of adult children that act like the world revolves around this shit.

I understand people are fans of whatever, but good God don't wear a 17ing Spiderman costume to the movie theater to go see the 11th installment in the series that has come out in the last 3 years.

I liked Game f Thrones when it was on, but if all of a sudden I stated to dress like Jon Snow, and swear by the old gods and the new, I would expect someone to punch me in the face.

How is wearing a Spider-Man (RespectTheHyphen) costume to a movie any different than wearing a jersey to a football game?

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-20-2021, 03:52 PM
How is wearing a Spider-Man (RespectTheHyphen) costume to a movie any different than wearing a jersey to a football game?

There is a live team full of actual people that can look up in the stands and see that you support them. That's how.

Tater
12-20-2021, 03:56 PM
There is a live team full of actual people that can look up in the stands and see that you support them. That's how.

With the internet showing these videos, there is real live people that can view your support of their craftsmanship to tell a compelling story and offer escapism. You're reaching. It's ok to be wrong here. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. You sound like the jock version of a comic book fanatic who calls every athletic event "sports ball". There's no need for the hostility. Let people enjoy what they want and be happy. Why does someone else's happiness irritate you if it's not directly at your expense?

Dawgology
12-20-2021, 04:24 PM
I’m not a die hard fan of comic book movies but I like that people enjoy heroes that stand for something. It’s no different than the myths and legends of old and there are many people who devote their entire careers to studying those. Those same archetypes are reflected through time in myths, legend and religions of cultures all across the globe and that has meaning. For hundreds of thousands of years people have been telling stories that deliver a message and set ideals for humans. We’ve gone from telling them around campfires, to books and then to cinema and television but the stories are still the same for the most part just in different trappings. Just because you don’t like a certain delivery method doesn’t mean someone is less evolved or infantile. It just means that medium or hero doesn’t appeal to you. I would much rather someone idolize a superhero that embodies helping others and standing up for justice than that person not care for anything at all or idolize another human who is as messed up as they are.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-20-2021, 04:26 PM
With the internet showing these videos, there is real live people that can view your support of their craftsmanship to tell a compelling story and offer escapism. You're reaching. It's ok to be wrong here. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. You sound like the jock version of a comic book fanatic who calls every athletic event "sports ball". There's no need for the hostility. Let people enjoy what they want and be happy. Why does someone else's happiness irritate you if it's not directly at your expense?

WOW. A lot to unpack here.

I have no problem with anyone enjoying anything they want unless it somehow adversely affects someone else.

I have too much to get done in reality to escape anywhere.

I have never heard a single person call all sporting events "sports ball" LOL

I think that fans that literally dress up like Dogs (Browns), Monsters or whatever (Raiders), Hogettes (Football Team) etc. are equally as ridiculous as a grown man dressing like Spiderman.

Come off the ledge

Lord McBuckethead
12-20-2021, 04:27 PM
Disagree. If life couldn't be filled with awesome reminders of what it is like to get lost in your imagination, identify with someone going through an unbelievable struggle, understanding outside influences and consequences, and just having an escape from the mundane with a reminder of your childhood..... then its a sad shit of a place to live and operate.

Lord McBuckethead
12-20-2021, 04:30 PM

I have no problem with anyone enjoying anything they want unless it somehow adversely affects someone else.

I think that fans that literally dress up like Dogs (Browns), Monsters or whatever (Raiders), Hogettes (Football Team) etc. are equally as ridiculous as a grown man dressing like Spiderman.

Come off the ledge

You sir, went out of your way to take an asshole take. They may dress up like "Spiderman" but as evidence by your original post and your defense of it throughout, you act like the world revolves around your feelings and the world is better for knowing how you really feel about it. Please, respond and let me know how this is playing in your head. We are all on pins and needles over here.

Tater
12-20-2021, 04:36 PM

Come off the ledge

Consider yourself lucky. They're the worst type of people and I've met several.

And if you're consistent in that regard between the two then we can agree to disagree. I say ley grown men do what they want with their free time. I'd much rather my kid look up to Spider-Man than Brett Favre. (Because of the embezzlement.)

MadDawg
12-20-2021, 04:38 PM
I?m not a die hard fan of comic book movies but I like that people enjoy heroes that stand for something. It?s no different than the myths and legends of old and there are many people who devote their entire careers to studying those. Those same archetypes are reflected through time in myths, legend and religions of cultures all across the globe and that has meaning. For hundreds of thousands of years people have been telling stories that deliver a message and set ideals for humans. We?ve gone from telling them around campfires, to books and then to cinema and television but the stories are still the same for the most part just in different trappings. Just because you don?t like a certain delivery method doesn?t mean someone is less evolved or infantile. It just means that medium or hero doesn?t appeal to you. I would much rather someone idolize a superhero that embodies helping others and standing up for justice than that person not care for anything at all or idolize another human who is as messed up as they are.

I really have no dog in this hunt. I'm a fan of superhero movies because I like sci-fi. Not because I need comic book heroes to set my moral compass. But making a fictional character your hero has it's problems. A big one is that fictional heroes that are bought and sold between media conglomerates often change due the prevailing political winds at the time. I mean, you do realize Superman doesn't stand for truth, justice and the American way anymore, right? I think it's now truth, justice and a better tomorrow which sounds more like a tagline for Ron Burgundy.

Tater
12-20-2021, 04:48 PM
Unless you have had a personal experience with God, I have fortunately, you have no basis from which to even form a valid response. I will send prayers also!

I'm going to draw from things taught at this university we all support as I took religion courses while I was in school because the philosophy behind it is quite interesting to delve into with higher learning.

Your post strikes a strong resemblance to a writing by Anselm that we dissected in class talking about Spiritual Rapture. How it is an impossible task to describe what one has experienced with an other-worldly being. As it states, you can NOT describe your interaction to another worldly being because you could only use worldly descriptions and if you were able to accurately describe it, then it would stand that your experience was in fact NOT other-worldly as it could be reproduced by worldly descriptions and means. So how then, outside of your word, do we prove that what you experienced is indeed true? Well then I have to experience it for myself, right? You see how that's simply a joke and will not fly in true debate? The point being, you're full of shit and your argument is too. You have no basis with which to use "I have had a personal experience with God" in an argument and be taken seriously. Especially when the argument was me simply believing the Bible at face value and describing what is written occurred in "comic book" terms.

Jesus rose from the dead? So he's a zombie.
Jesus moved a giant boulder containing his tomb? So he's got super strength like Super-Man.
Jesus used mystical illusion spells? So he's a sorcerer like Doctor Strange.

You're making fun of this comic book medium by calling it fantasy, but in doing so you are spitting in the face of the Bible and Jesus Christ. @Catfish, this is what my post was referencing. I simply changed one word to reflect how he truly feels about God.

The defense rests.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-20-2021, 04:51 PM
You sir, went out of your way to take an asshole take. They may dress up like "Spiderman" but as evidence by your original post and your defense of it throughout, you act like the world revolves around your feelings and the world is better for knowing how you really feel about it. Please, respond and let me know how this is playing in your head. We are all on pins and needles over here.

Let's roll through this chain of events as they happened...

OP comes onto a very sarcastic Mississippi State sports message board and posts about sending Spiderman spoilers to his buddy.

He/She gets made fun of.

The Avengers jump in to defend him/her, while one of them totally bashes Christianity as a whole

and I am ultimately the bad guy. OK

It's worse out there than I originally thought.

Extendedcab
12-20-2021, 04:53 PM
I'm going to draw from things taught at this university we all support as I took religion courses while I was in school because the philosophy behind it is quite interesting to delve into with higher learning.

Your post strikes a strong resemblance to a writing by Anselm that we dissected in class talking about Spiritual Rapture. How it is an impossible task to describe what one has experienced with an other-worldly being. As it states, you can NOT describe your interaction to another worldly being because you could only use worldly descriptions and if you were able to accurately describe it, then it would stand that your experience was in fact NOT other-worldly as it could be reproduced by worldly descriptions and means. So how then, outside of your word, do we prove that what you experienced is indeed true? Well then I have to experience it for myself, right? You see how that's simply a joke and will not fly in true debate? The point being, you're full of shit and your argument is too. You have no basis with which to use "I have had a personal experience with God" in an argument and be taken seriously. Especially when the argument was me simply believing the Bible at face value and describing what is written occurred in "comic book" terms.

Jesus rose from the dead? So he's a zombie.
Jesus moved a giant boulder containing his tomb? So he's got super strength like Super-Man.
Jesus used mystical illusion spells? So he's a sorcerer like Doctor Strange.

You're making fun of this comic book medium by calling it fantasy, but in doing so you are spitting in the face of the Bible and Jesus Christ. @Catfish, this is what my post was referencing. I simply changed one word to reflect how he truly feels about God.

The defense rests.

Defense!! This is laughable! It is a fallacy of your own limited mind to understand that we are created beings! We did not evolve from some pool of primordial goo! If so, where did this goo come from and where did the first instance of life come from. Where is that goo now? How did life come from nothing? It can't, even Pasteur proved that.

Tater
12-20-2021, 04:55 PM

OP comes onto a very sarcastic Mississippi State sports message board and posts about sending Spiderman spoilers to his buddy.

He/She gets made fun of.

The Avengers jump in to defend him/her, while one of them totally bashes Christianity as a whole

I'd like to amend this record of events. I bashed someone's viewpoint by showing how looking at Christianity through that scope comes across. I am in no way bashing Christianity. I am mocking the argument by providing a counter example to show how ridiculous it is to have those opinions. Big difference.

Tater
12-20-2021, 04:58 PM
Defense!! This is laughable! It is a fallacy of your own limited mind to understand that we are created beings! We did not evolve from some pool of primordial goo! If so, where did this goo come from and where did the first instance of life come from. Where is that goo now? How did life come from nothing? It can't, even Pasteur proved that.

This answers nothing to which I argued and is a rambling of nonsense. In no way am I critiquing the teachings of the Bible. I am merely showing how if you apply YOUR critique of comic books to the Bible, it makes YOU angry. Therefore YOU are a hypocrite. You seem to be missing that point. I'm not questioning what the Bible teaches. I'm questioning how YOU view things. If sorcerers, superhumans, and zombies are fantasy to you, then how do you not also call the Bible fantasy?

Jarius
12-20-2021, 04:59 PM
This thread proves that people will literally argue about anything. Also, if he’s giving you shit to the point that it makes you want to spoil a movie for him then you probably ought to reevaluate if he’s really your buddy. I have ole miss fans and they get happy when they win but they have enough respect for me to not constantly run it in.

Johnson85
12-20-2021, 05:24 PM

Seriously. Drives me crazy. Those people are going to annoy me even worse in another few weeks when I basically have nothing to do for 9 months other than be annoyed with their obsession while a wait for the start of the next college football season.**

vv83
12-20-2021, 05:34 PM
This thread proves that people will literally argue about anything. Also, if he?s giving you shit to the point that it makes you want to spoil a movie for him then you probably ought to reevaluate if he?s really your buddy. I have ole miss fans and they get happy when they win but they have enough respect for me to not constantly run it in.

This thread was an insane read with some people who might need professional help in it lol. Felt like some variation of Cunningham's law but no real end goal

Dawgology
12-20-2021, 05:52 PM

He/She gets made fun of.

In all fairness...you are the one who changed the narrative to a negative context and then got defensive when someone defended the OP. If you can dish it out you sure as hell should be prepared to take it.

As I stated above...not a massive comic book fan but if you are calling someone an Avenger for defending a person that's basically being shamed for an innocent thing they enjoy well then.... Avengers Assemble, mother****ers.

Vandownbytheriver
12-20-2021, 06:37 PM
So, I'm assuming the folks bashing the comic book nerds either don't own TVs or only watch documentaries? Because if you enjoy any fiction, it's the same. It's an escape outlet. Like sports. Something to lose yourself in for a couple of hours. And if it makes someone forget their rather mundane life, what's the harm? Other than being the type of person who always has to say, "soccer isn't a real sport," wrestling isn't real," and "comic books are for losers." People like different things and thank god they do. If not life would be full of folks who like Morgan Wallen and the Kardashians.

OLJWales
12-20-2021, 07:58 PM
All this over our personal relationship with Spiderman?

starkvegasdawg
12-20-2021, 08:15 PM
All this over our personal relationship with Spiderman?

He still owes me $20.

Leroy Jenkins
12-20-2021, 08:30 PM
Wait till people find out that a tornado won't take you to a magical land where you have to get a witch's slippers to get back home.

Turfdawg67
12-20-2021, 11:47 PM
Wow... can we throw in some Trump and Covid discussion to really divide us? Lolz...

tireddawg
12-21-2021, 12:52 AM
Tater you need help man. Jesus Christ.

Tater
12-21-2021, 01:13 AM
Tater you need help man. Jesus Christ.

Help for what? Pretty clear I'm not the one committing doublethink. So I don't need help from being delusional, that's the other guy. Help with my argument? I made it pretty structured and straightforward. That's what a good Mississippi State education can do for you. Unlike some bad actors on this board wanting to sow discontent, I don't need help. Help the guy who hates on fantastical stories yet cannot accept the same exact criticism being applied to one book without him devolving into ad hominem attacks.

Certain people clearly just wait their turn to yell their piece and lack the ability to process in any information someone presents to them. It's made internet forums a wasteland filled of stupidity.

Pancho
12-21-2021, 06:43 AM
Are any of the spiderman movies good? I've never spent a minute with any of em. Let's find a dam PK for the football team and quit this crap.

OLJWales
12-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Are any of the spiderman movies good? I've never spent a minute with any of em. Let's find a dam PK for the football team and quit this crap.

Would advise watching ALL Marvel Moves.

bulldawg28
12-22-2021, 03:56 AM
Crossing the line for me. If he really is a buddy, then why do it? If he is an ass then why associate with him in the first place. My two cents.

Yep

BiscuitEater
12-23-2021, 09:14 PM
Jesus Christ is fantasy,

When you reach your total bottom, He is the only one who can really save you and lift you up out of your pit of despair!

>500 witnessed him alive 'after' he was killed on a cross!

Tater
12-23-2021, 09:32 PM
When you reach your total bottom, He is the only one who can really save you and lift you up out of your pit of despair!

>500 witnessed him alive 'after' he was killed on a cross!

Much like you probably need to read the entire Bible before speaking, try reading the entire thread and understanding that I copied word for word another post to show their biased mocking reasons are actually sacreligious.

Or is it too much effort to ask someone to use any layer of thought on a message board? I feel like it's fair if you're gonna post this stupidity at me showing you don't understand a word of what was said.

OLJWales
12-23-2021, 10:14 PM
All this over Jesus & Spiderman? I'm taking Jesus minus 3 Touchdowns.

ArrowDawg
12-24-2021, 10:53 AM

That's literally all Hollywood is these days, comic book movies with "superheroes" in tights. Everything else is just another lazy remake or sequel.