PDA

View Full Version : Hump Renovations

Pinto
12-18-2021, 06:31 PM
Are we still dumping money into the hump? Both of our basketball programs are on life support and attendance can be counted by hand. Why put that money there? Surely it would be better to put that money into a competitive program or at least one that will make money.

msstate7
12-18-2021, 06:36 PM
Men's program does make money, right?

Coursesuper
12-18-2021, 07:16 PM
Are we still dumping money into the hump? Both of our basketball programs are on life support and attendance can be counted by hand. Why put that money there? Surely it would be better to put that money into a competitive program or at least one that will make money.

This is going to happen, I saw that landscape plans last week. It will be a very nice upgrade.

HoopsDawg
12-18-2021, 07:35 PM
I like the Hump the way it is other than the exterior. What exactly are we doing and how much is it going to cost?

msstate7
12-18-2021, 07:37 PM
I like the Hump the way it is other than the exterior. What exactly are we doing and how much is it going to cost?

Altering the outside (adding curtain wall/storefront) and doing some interior work to make it more fan friendly. I just glanced over drawings

msstate7
12-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Here's link to plans...

https://plans.fm.msstate.edu/jobs/10710/details/21-117-phase-one-addition-and-renovation-to-humphrey-coliseum-concourse

Homedawg
Men's program does make money, right?

Yep. Get good money for premium seats and tickets..... even though those people never use them!

Homedawg

$40 mil budget.

msstate7
12-18-2021, 07:48 PM
Yep. Get good money for premium seats and tickets..... even though those people never use them!

I hope one day I have enough money to use it on tix I never plan to use

schddog72
12-18-2021, 10:00 PM
This is going to happen, I saw that landscape plans last week. It will be a very nice upgrade.

When I was an MSU student - late 60's/early 70's, there was great sentiment towards enclosing both ends of Scott Field and converting into a giant Olympic swimming pool in hopes of developing a competitive swimming program. That's how bad football was at the time.

BiscuitEater
12-18-2021, 10:10 PM
When I was an MSU student - late 60's/early 70's, there was great sentiment towards enclosing both ends of Scott Field and converting into a giant Olympic swimming pool in hopes of developing a competitive swimming program. That's how bad football was at the time.

How far we've come .. from the Charlie Shira era!!

HoopsDawg
12-18-2021, 10:11 PM
40 mil on improving the concourse....well ok.

MCsMGs
12-18-2021, 10:58 PM
Word I got from athletic department at the game last night is that bid process will begin in January with anticipated start date at end of season.

AROB44
12-19-2021, 07:14 AM
Massive waste of money. Attendance is pitiful and won't get better for a long long time. Use the money on football assistant coaches, analysts and recruiting.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Massive waste of money. Attendance is pitiful and won't get better for a long long time. Use the money on football assistant coaches, analysts and recruiting.
^^^^^This^^^^^ The return would be much better long term. To me the answer to basketball would be a 5000 seat arena in a different location with all the amenities and luxury suites. Anything spent on The Hump is just putting lipstick on a pig.

Coursesuper
12-19-2021, 10:12 AM
^^^^^This^^^^^ The return would be much better long term. To me the answer to basketball would be a 5000 seat arena in a different location with all the amenities and luxury suites. Anything spent on The Hump is just putting lipstick on a pig.

You really have zero grasp of reality here, but I guess you are in the MSU has a shat load of $$$ for these things crowd. If y?all had any idea you would see just how stupid may of these post are. Hell they are having to lean on donations for the the plant materials to even finish the damn thing out. But also what you don?t see is that in the SEC everyday is an arms race with facilities. Do nothing and get left behind.

HoopsDawg
12-19-2021, 10:33 AM
You really have zero grasp of reality here, but I guess you are in the MSU has a shat load of $$$ for these things crowd. If y?all had any idea you would see just how stupid may of these post are. Hell they are having to lean on donations for the the plant materials to even finish the damn thing out. But also what you don?t see is that in the SEC everyday is an arms race with facilities. Do nothing and get left behind.

You have to invest in the players and the player experience. Recruits don't give a damn about a concourse.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-19-2021, 11:09 AM
MSU would have more money if they reached out to market their product and grow their base instead of catering to a few.

Coursesuper
12-19-2021, 11:12 AM
You have to invest in the players and the player experience. Recruits don't give a damn about a concourse.

They are, if you look at the plans there are significant changes to the arena itself.

Rawdawg
12-19-2021, 11:29 AM
The people paying for the hump are the same people that paid for the new dude and look at how that has worked out?.

Coursesuper
12-19-2021, 11:35 AM
MSU would have more money if they reached out to market their product and grow their base instead of catering to a few.

Do you exist on the plain of reality or some other? This is the most fractured alumni and fan base in the conference and without a doubt the poorest. But don?t let that stop that brain housing group of yours come up with simplistic solutions to complex issues. I?ll hang up and listen Paul.

HoopsDawg
12-19-2021, 01:47 PM
The people paying for the hump are the same people that paid for the new dude and look at how that has worked out?.

the New Dude was done correctly. They did cut a few things, but not too much. Hopefully this will be done right. Larry Templeton was the worst about building something new but cutting so many corners it just wasn't worth it.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2021, 01:53 PM
the New Dude was done correctly. They did cut a few things, but not too much. Hopefully this will be done right. Larry Templeton was the worst about building something new but cutting so many corners it just wasn't worth it.

It's not just the concourse. They're adding premium seating also.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-19-2021, 02:25 PM
Do you exist on the plain of reality or some other? This is the most fractured alumni and fan base in the conference and without a doubt the poorest. But don?t let that stop that brain housing group of yours come up with simplistic solutions to complex issues. I?ll hang up and listen Paul.
Last I checked our Football Alumni are making a half Billion in the NFL, basketball Alumni not so much. Yes the MSU Fanbase is Fractured, but I blame that on leadership or lack of it. As far as the poorest in the SEC I would suspect the per capita income for MSU Grads is still pretty decent. We just dont have dynamic leadership to bring our alumni together.

HoopsDawg
12-19-2021, 02:47 PM
It's not just the concourse. They're adding premium seating also.

normally premium seating hurts the atmosphere, but I guess we don't have to worry about that. I'm surprised there is a demand for premium seating when 75% of the chairbacks on the floor are empty. 40 mil is a lot of money. Ole Miss built a brand new state of the art arena for 96 million. I hope it's money well spent.

Lord McBuckethead
12-19-2021, 02:53 PM
40 mil on improving the concourse....well ok.

It will be 52 million once they bid it. Everything is 30% more these days.

HoopsDawg
12-19-2021, 03:07 PM
It will be 52 million once they bid it. Everything is 30% more these days.

sheesh

msstate7
12-19-2021, 03:14 PM
normally premium seating hurts the atmosphere, but I guess we don't have to worry about that. I'm surprised there is a demand for premium seating when 75% of the chairbacks on the floor are empty. 40 mil is a lot of money. Ole Miss built a brand new state of the art arena for 96 million. I hope it's money well spent.

Hopefully they moving the premium seating up, and the student section midcourt

basedog
12-19-2021, 03:16 PM
sheesh

Ditto!

HoopsDawg
12-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Hopefully they moving the premium seating up, and the student section midcourt

Looks like this project is a revenue play so I doubt it. Although, the Hump was something special when the students were mid-court.

Coursesuper
12-19-2021, 04:25 PM
Last I checked our Football Alumni are making a half Billion in the NFL, basketball Alumni not so much. Yes the MSU Fanbase is Fractured, but I blame that on leadership or lack of it. As far as the poorest in the SEC I would suspect the per capita income for MSU Grads is still pretty decent. We just dont have dynamic leadership to bring our alumni together.

Good god this take is so ignorant it?s truly breathtaking. I guess ignorance is bliss, leadership comes from those that are put in place by the major stakeholders. That?s who really controls things. MSU has exactly zero of those that can keep up with any other schools in our league and it just got much more difficult.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2021, 04:44 PM
Upgrading facilities in never about today. It's about the future. The state of your team today should never determine if you should upgrade lacking facilities or not.

whosyourdawgy
12-19-2021, 05:15 PM

Going on the assumption, ?if you build it, they will come!?

Leeshouldveflanked
12-19-2021, 05:38 PM
Good god this take is so ignorant it?s truly breathtaking. I guess ignorance is bliss, leadership comes from those that are put in place by the major stakeholders. That?s who really controls things. MSU has exactly zero of those that can keep up with any other schools in our league and it just got much more difficult.
Maybe we should just drop out of the SEC since we Po Ol Missippi State. See how that would work out. I would rather whole ass a few sports than half ass all of them. We have an advantage in baseball because 80 percent of the NCAA half asses it.

Coursesuper
12-19-2021, 06:05 PM
Maybe we should just drop out of the SEC since we Po Ol Missippi State. See how that would work out. I would rather whole ass a few sports than half ass all of them. We have an advantage in baseball because 80 percent of the NCAA half asses it.

No, but you missing the point all together and trying to twist this into something else isn?t a surprise.

Pinto
12-19-2021, 07:05 PM
You have no idea of leadership. Yes, you may have been put in place by those, but leadership isn?t catering to only those - that is ass kissing and worrying more about keeping your job than doing your job.

True Leadership is about making everyone fee they are a part of the program and overall success of the university. No matter if they donate $10 or 10 million dollars. That?s leadership to which we have none.

I remember my dad and I leaving a football game and passing stricklin (who had his own faults) on the sidewalk. He said guys thanks for coming tonight and supporting the team. He had no clue who we were, but we upped our contributions because of it. I rarely see Cohen at events and he?d rather run from people than say something simple and nice like that.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Pinto gets it.

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2021, 07:27 PM
Having been to the Pavillion to see State play..... I am hoping State does something similar or nicer. That place is nice. Which after reading all this, I was curious how broke State is/was compared to others. I found this interesting website.... maybe someone else can embed a graph.

ANyways State and OM are neck and neck in the money department. So surely we have the funds to bulldoze the Hump and make a new first class place. Or build a new place across the parking lot.

https://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/

Coursesuper
12-19-2021, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Pinto;1396419]You have no idea of leadership. Yes, you may have been put in place by those, but leadership isn?t catering to only those - that is ass kissing and worrying more about keeping your job than doing your job.

True Leadership is about making everyone fee they are a part of the program and overall success of the university. No matter if they donate $10 or 10 million dollars. That?s leadership to which we have none.

I remember my dad and I leaving a football game and passing stricklin (who had his own faults) on the sidewalk. He said guys thanks for coming tonight and supporting the team. He had no clue who we were, but we upped our contributions because of it. I rarely see Cohen at events and he?d rather run from people than say something simple and nice like that.[/QUOTE

Who the 17 cares you got your asses kissed a little, Hoo17ing Rah for you. I mean ******* It ain?t the AD?s job anyway. Do you actually think they care if Greg Byrne is out there shaking hands and kissing babies. You just illustrated the problem, the small time what?s in it ?fer me? is the most Mississippi thing of all. Hallelujah holy shat, pass the Tylenol.

MCsMGs
12-19-2021, 08:21 PM
You have no idea of leadership. Yes, you may have been put in place by those, but leadership isn?t catering to only those - that is ass kissing and worrying more about keeping your job than doing your job.

I remember my dad and I leaving a football game and passing stricklin (who had his own faults) on the sidewalk. He said guys thanks for coming tonight and supporting the team. He had no clue who we were, but we upped our contributions because of it. I rarely see Cohen at events and he?d rather run from people than say something simple and nice like that.

I see Cohen at quite a few basketball games and he is very available to speak to. Are you just making crap up or do you have any first hand experience to share?

Pinto
12-19-2021, 09:53 PM
Way to miss the point, but at least you tried.

[QUOTE=Pinto;1396419]You have no idea of leadership. Yes, you may have been put in place by those, but leadership isn?t catering to only those - that is ass kissing and worrying more about keeping your job than doing your job.

I remember my dad and I leaving a football game and passing stricklin (who had his own faults) on the sidewalk. He said guys thanks for coming tonight and supporting the team. He had no clue who we were, but we upped our contributions because of it. I rarely see Cohen at events and he?d rather run from people than say something simple and nice like that.[/QUOTE

Who the 17 cares you got your asses kissed a little, Hoo17ing Rah for you. I mean ******* It ain?t the AD?s job anyway. Do you actually think they care if Greg Byrne is out there shaking hands and kissing babies. You just illustrated the problem, the small time what?s in it ?fer me? is the most Mississippi thing of all. Hallelujah holy shat, pass the Tylenol.

Pinto
12-19-2021, 09:56 PM
Multiple experiences, but none to share. Those who need to know, already know.

I see Cohen at quite a few basketball games and he is very available to speak to. Are you just making crap up or do you have any first hand experience to share?

ImissCityBagel
12-19-2021, 10:56 PM
Does the Hump have BBQ nachos now? If not, that is the first thing that needs to be fixed.