PDA

View Full Version : Damien Williams

DawgPoundRock
11-19-2013, 06:51 PM
If he gets the start I have a gut feeling hes gonna show out in LR this weekend. Do any of yall agree or disagree?

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
If he gets the start I have a gut feeling hes gonna show out in LR this weekend. Do any of yall agree or disagree?

Certainly possible, because we don't know exactly what he'll look like if he gets the majority of the reps in practice. I'll say this, if Tyler starts, we are probably going to win, but if Williams starts, it will be a toss up because we don't know what to expect. But things could also go better because we will be able to use our entire offense.

Williams is a true dual threat QB that is a far better athlete than Tyler. If we were to play well Saturday, we may be able to beat Ark by more than points than if Tyler plays.

However, Tyler is by far the safer option. Just my opinion.

cheewgumm
11-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Totally agree.

I hope he gets to play, and think we will win if he does. Throws a pretty ball. I think it is just a matter of timing. Speaking of "history of a program", I'm shocked our 3rd string QB is this good.

BogeyGolfer
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
We are in serious trouble.

Dawgtini
11-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I hope so. We are WAY over due to have freshmen a QB come in and play all world.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-19-2013, 07:15 PM
A true freshman quarterback making his first start in a state where we have never won and playing his first meaningful minutes against an SEC opponent...what could go wrong?

DawgPoundRock
11-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Certainly possible, because we don't know exactly what he'll look like if he gets the majority of the reps in practice. I'll say this, if Tyler starts, we are probably going to win, but if Williams starts, it will be a toss up because we don't know what to expect. But things could also go better because we will be able to use our entire offense.

Williams is a true dual threat QB that is a far better athlete than Tyler. If we were to play well Saturday, we may be able to beat Ark by more than points than if Tyler plays.

However, Tyler is by far the safer option. Just my opinion.

Oh I definitely agree that Tyler is the safer bet, and from what we seen he has shown flashes of being pretty decent. Im more comfortable now with our backups than 5-6 years ago I mean we were starting Hening then

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Triple QB controversy after this weekend***

DawgPoundRock
11-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Triple QB controversy after this weekend***

At this rate I say go ahead and play Cowart as well Haha

was21
11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. He's a untested freshman for all practical purposes regardless of last week or other games he appeared in.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. He's a untested freshman for all practical purposes regardless of last week or other games he appeared in.

Williams is a wild card and Tyler is a known quantity that we know is good enough to win the game.

However, Williams' skill allows us to run the same offense that we run with Dak, and Tyler's skill set doesn't.

Not saying that Williams is better than Tyler, just saying that Williams' skill set could allow him, if he plays well BIG IF, to be more productive within our offense than Tyler.

That being said, I desperately want Tyler to be healthy so we don't have to test this theory.

Coach34
11-19-2013, 07:39 PM
The kid is a winner and he will battle his ass off if he plays. He came in against Bama and should have had a TD pass.

That being said- I sure hope he doesnt have to play Saturday unless its it mop up

Political Hack
11-19-2013, 07:42 PM
I hope he plays the entire 4th quarter.

DawgPoundRock
11-19-2013, 07:48 PM
The kid is a winner and he will battle his ass off if he plays. He came in against Bama and should have had a TD pass.

That being said- I sure hope he doesnt have to play Saturday unless its it mop up

I completely agree, I think the kid is gonna be a baller. When they flashed his high school stats they were pretty damn good honestly

HoopsDawg
11-19-2013, 07:51 PM
The great thing about having an unsophisticated passing scheme is that our offense is very easy to learn. Damien probably has a pretty good grasp of the offense and there are usually only 1 or 2 reads. He can throw the football. I'm not sure he is a true dual threat because he seems to lack speed, but he is definitely more of a running threat than Tyler.

I think he will play well and lead us to a victory. Have I mentioned how terrible Arkansas is? This will be a battle of who hasn't quit on their coach.

I seen it dawg
11-19-2013, 07:57 PM
He was a damn good High school qb in a really good winning program. He is used to winning which you cant teach. That being said I would rather have Dak or TR play but if not I think the frosh can do enough to win the game.

gravedigger
11-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I have a feeling that we lose if we don't use him and play Tyler the whole game.

The only weakness of our offense that ark has the ability to exploit is if we become one dimensional.

We've been known to do thAt. Damien and Tyler interchanged out would work. Or Damien the whole way. But not Tyler by himself.

Percho
11-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Would not have been awesome he he had been throwing that pass if we had scored on the 2 and 1 series?

Radddawg
11-19-2013, 08:08 PM
He was a damn good High school qb in a really good winning program. He is used to winning which you cant teach. That being said I would rather have Dak or TR play but if not I think the frosh can do enough to win the game.

I usually get accused of being woolly but I guess the Bama game sheared a bunch off. I dont know why our fans think a true freshman QB we stole from Southern Miss at the 11th hour last January is ready to win an SEC road game. The kid has like 10 meaningful snaps under his belt. He's going into an environment where we've never played well, much less won. Maybe I'm just being overly negative. Hopefully he throws for 3 TDs and runs for 2 more in a blowout win.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
I usually get accused of being woolly but I guess the Bama game sheared a bunch off. I dont know why our fans think a true freshman QB we stole from Southern Miss at the 11th hour last January is ready to win an SEC road game. The kid has like 10 meaningful snaps under his belt. He's going into an environment where we've never played well, much less won. Maybe I'm just being overly negative. Hopefully he throws for 3 TDs and runs for 2 more in a blowout win.

Of all games to get your wool sheared, why would it be the Bama game?.. Yes, we took Williams from USM but he was the crown jewel of their commitment list. He won a state championship at a quality high school program. He has gotten reps in 3 different games this year and the snaps against Bama are invaluable. He will also get a ton of reps in practice this week. This would be a great game to go more 2 back with Perkins/Griffin then Robinson/Shumpert.

We have a very simple offense. It's an offense that Tyler played just as well as a fresh as he has as a senior. Tyson Lee and Relf both picked it up very quickly and Dak has done well as a first year starter. The Arkansas crowd won't be that tough and their team is horrible. Damien should do fine as long as he's not asked to do too much.

paco
11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't share your confidence. The young man is nowhere near being ready to run an offense for more than two series.

Op4isabitch
11-19-2013, 08:49 PM
RTGDF

Diamond package please please please

Pound the rock with JRob and Shump and Griff
Bubble screens to Perk and tubby
Sweeps with Holloway

Radddawg
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Of all games to get your wool sheared, why would it be the Bama game?

Now that I read my again that came out wrong. I was really proud of the effort our players put forth and I was pleased with the adjustments our coaches made during the game. My wool being sheared has to do with the multiple injuries to the QB position and the all around bad luck this team has had to deal with this season. Also, the fact that we may be one play away from Sam Cowart or Jameon Lewis being our starting quarterback.

rcsteph1
11-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Williams looked good for the position that he was put in. However I would feel more comfortable with T. Russell leading us to our first ever victory over there. Not knocking Williams but he just isn't experienced. And in no way can it be said that he allows for more of a playbook than Russell. The playbook for a young qb with a qtr and a half experience, is going to be very limited.

Political Hack
11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
if Wilson didn't have that drop, he would've had a TD on Bama. Kid can play. Offense just has to get used to all the churn. it takes a while to get used to a new QB.

DAWGS1
11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Perfect RAT opportunity to work in our favor for once!

rcsteph1
11-19-2013, 11:07 PM
if Wilson didn't have that drop, he would've had a TD on Bama. Kid can play. Offense just has to get used to all the churn. it takes a while to get used to a new QB.

Yea he looked sharp. Didn't expect him to handle playing against Bama as well as he did. Can't knock him. He made some plays that gave us a chance. It's like you said its just an adjustment, catching passes from a new qb

PendingTransaction
11-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Williams will lead the team to a 63-9 win while setting the SEC freshman QB single game.record. He's Balis made and Mullen coached, dual threat superhero.

Jack Lambert
11-19-2013, 11:23 PM
A true freshman quarterback making his first start in a state where we have never won and playing his first meaningful minutes against an SEC opponent...what could go wrong?

Matt Wyatt made a good point about the Arkansas game. He said since they entered into the SEC they have almost always been between Alabama and Ole Miss. it has always been a trap game. Comming off the alabama game and looking toward the Ole Miss game and this is the reason the have beaten us so much. Move that game and the domination would go away. I think with six wins being with in reach and they want to go to a bowl game this will not be a trap game. I also think if Williams is the starter those upper classmen will step up and play harder to help him out.

justwin
11-20-2013, 01:45 AM
RTGDF

Diamond package please please please

Pound the rock with JRob and Shump and Griff
Bubble screens to Perk and tubby
Sweeps with Holloway

We have a winner

DawgPoundRock
11-20-2013, 07:39 AM
We have a winner

Man, the diamond formation is what we need to run more of especially for this game.

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Man, the diamond formation is what we need to run more of especially for this game.

Agreed. We have gotten away from the run and I believe that it's because Perk hasn't been 100%. I think our run game is most successful with josh as primary back. Run the diamond with J Rob and rotate Shumpert and Nick

DawgPoundRock
11-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Agreed. We have gotten away from the run and I believe that it's because Perk hasn't been 100%. I think our run game is most successful with josh as primary back. Run the diamond with J Rob and rotate Shumpert and Nick

Yes definitely, hell even Throw Milton in there

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Yea I don't think Milton or Griffin have touched the ball in the last two months. I feel like that's a problem. I hate it but Perk is still hurt and can't plant his foot and make his cuts, that's why he keeps falling and slipping. He is also tip toeing up to contact instead of putting his head down and running hard.

quickstrike2
11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
A healthy dose of JRob would be awesome to see, wouldn't mind Shump in there to.

I am not as comfortable with Williams in there as some.

archdog
11-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Of all games to get your wool sheared, why would it be the Bama game?.. Yes, we took Williams from USM but he was the crown jewel of their commitment list. He won a state championship at a quality high school program. He has gotten reps in 3 different games this year and the snaps against Bama are invaluable. He will also get a ton of reps in practice this week. This would be a great game to go more 2 back with Perkins/Griffin then Robinson/Shumpert.

We have a very simple offense. It's an offense that Tyler played just as well as a fresh as he has as a senior. Tyson Lee and Relf both picked it up very quickly and Dak has done well as a first year starter. The Arkansas crowd won't be that tough and their team is horrible. Damien should do fine as long as he's not asked to do too much.

All of the qbs should learn the art of the pump fake. It would keep all of our deeper patterns from being bracketed by a safety reading the qbs eyes

rcsteph1
11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
All of the qbs should learn the art of the pump fake. It would keep all of our deeper patterns from being bracketed by a safety reading the qbs eyes

We rarely use the pump fake ha. If ever.

RState
11-20-2013, 01:50 PM
First off, I don't have any doubt that whoever is on the field can beat UPig but if things get hairy direct snap to Shump in the WildDawg!