PDA

View Full Version : Buck Showalter

Todd4State
12-18-2021, 04:29 PM
Not sure if official but he is going to be the manager of the Mets.

Catfish
12-18-2021, 04:37 PM
I like this hire. I've always thought Buck was a good manager.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32895867/new-york-mets-hire-buck-showalter-new-manager

msstate7
12-18-2021, 04:45 PM
For the most part, I think baseball games are won by the GM more than the manager. Now a bad manager can certainly lose games

Catfish
12-18-2021, 04:53 PM
For the most part, I think baseball games are won by the GM more than the manager. Now a bad manager can certainly lose games

LOL ok 7 not gonna argue this one. I'm hoping Bucky will join in.

msstate7
12-18-2021, 05:01 PM
LOL ok 7 not gonna argue this one. I'm hoping Bucky will join in.

Braves won the WS Bc they had great players not Bc snit somehow coached em up. Snit certainly didn't run the team off the tracks, but he had great pieces Bc of AA and our previous GMs

shoeless joe
12-18-2021, 05:15 PM
Braves won the WS Bc they had great players not Bc snit somehow coached em up. Snit certainly didn't run the team off the tracks, but he had great pieces Bc of AA and our previous GMs

Gotta have the jimmy?s and joes. But the ability to handle the locker room and keep up morale while also garnering respect is where the top managers separate themselves. That?s where snit excels. Much more so than his X?s and O?s.

I?m a showalter fan but this is a different direction for the mets. Buck us old school and will demand things be done a certain way. I actually think this is a good route for the Mets. It?s somewhat similar to terry collins but more of a hard ass hire than that. Miles away from the no accountability days of Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran.

msstate7
12-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Gotta have the jimmy?s and joes. But the ability to handle the locker room and keep up morale while also garnering respect is where the top managers separate themselves. That?s where snit excels. Much more so than his X?s and O?s.

I?m a showalter fan but this is a different direction for the mets. Buck us old school and will demand things be done a certain way. I actually think this is a good route for the Mets. It?s somewhat similar to terry collins but more of a hard ass hire than that. Miles away from the no accountability days of Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran.

Mets don't know what they wanna do. They say they're going more analytics, but them hire old school. Perhaps buck is open to learning new from the analytics (ie snit in the playoffs)

OLJWales
12-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Sad I can't for the life of me figure out why my enthusiasm dwindled the older I got for MLB. All those games in Jacktown watching Strawman, Dykstra, Oheda, Aguilara, Kevin Mitchell (remember that bare handed grab deep in the corner?), Mookie Wilson married at home plate, Wally Backman, can't remember the name of the pitcher who was famous for his pranks. Back to Back Texas League Champs with Davey Johnson coaching and I was lucky enough to be at Game 7 in '86.

And here I am finding one my all time favorite Dogs is taking over and I just can't get fired up about it. I really can't blame MLB for my apathy; maybe just age.

Roger McDowell I think was that pitcher's name.

Todd4State
12-18-2021, 05:30 PM
Mets don't know what they wanna do. They say they're going more analytics, but them hire old school. Perhaps buck is open to learning new from the analytics (ie snit in the playoffs)
Analytics are a tool and have been used in baseball before Billy Beane. Buck will be fine.

Catfish
12-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Analytics are a tool and have been used in baseball before Billy Beane. Buck will be fine.

I agree. I think Buck is one of those guys that can talk baseball all day and never get tired of it.

RougeDawg
12-19-2021, 12:22 AM
Showalter is a good dude. Baseball is just like college football. Have to have the right person calling the in game shots, with the personnel who responds. We forget that athletes are people. Just like a business, it takes a special person to push all of the correct buttons to maximize the potential.

Plenty of f*cking asshat dickheads out there with 12 MBAs and not lick of sense running corporations into the ground to get their bonus.