12-17-2021, 08:26 PM
1) play 10-12 people

2) full court press

3) run on every play

If you do that you?ll beat Furman by 40z

bobcat91
12-17-2021, 09:03 PM
Howland-Here is what you do.

Retire. Take your ass back to Cali and let's hire a modern day offensive minded coach that runs a 3 pt shooting 3 G offense. See what Greg Byrne did at Bama. It works, it really works and beyond that it's a lot more fun to watch that ours which is the equivalent of watching paint dry

OLJWales
12-17-2021, 09:35 PM
Post Game

Books that will never be written: "Keys to Utilizing Talent" By Ben Howland.

Homedawg
12-17-2021, 09:44 PM
1) play 10-12 people

2) full court press

3) run on every play

If you do that you?ll beat Furman by 40z

Not when you let them shoot 50 percent from 3, you don't. That's just more possessions for them. He needs to retire though. That's for sure. But propel are overestimating our talent level.

Rawdawg
12-17-2021, 09:47 PM
Post Game

Books that will never be written: "Keys to Utilizing Talent" By Ben Howland.

Honest question here: do you think another coach would have the same talent level? Me personally, I think the drop off would be tremendous given the lack of in state talent, tradition, fan support and below average facilities ( I know the hump is about to be renovated but Howland hasn?t had the luxury of recruiting to a new hump).

msstate7
12-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Honest question here: do you think another coach would have the same talent level? Me personally, I think the drop off would be tremendous given the lack of in state talent, tradition, fan support and below average facilities ( I know the hump is about to be renovated but Howland hasn?t had the luxury of recruiting to a new hump).

That's the million dollar question. Howland underachieves with the talent he has, but he overachieves in acquiring talent. I think firing howland is ridiculous.

Saltydog
12-17-2021, 10:01 PM
I said the same thing during the game, let his team run and utilize our athleticism. Always heard a "good" coach adpats to his talent but Howland and "good" no longer belong in the same sentence. Old bastard is past his prime and needs to GO!

basedog
12-17-2021, 10:36 PM
The real season is fixing to start, I don’t think this team has jelled yet with all the new players. I do think (even though we lost a big lead) with a very good comeback win may be what gets this team going. We’ve been in every game but have looked lost and inconsistent, but it’s a chance we will a decent team before the season ends. 8-3 with the woulda coulda shoulda be 11-0. Close, I just think they will play better as a unit as it takes a little time again with so many players and our best inside guy hurt.

OLJWales
12-17-2021, 10:55 PM
The real season is fixing to start, I don’t think this team has jelled yet with all the new players. I do think (even though we lost a big lead) with a very good comeback win may be what gets this team going. We’ve been in every game but have looked lost and inconsistent, but it’s a chance we will a decent team before the season ends. 8-3 with the woulda coulda shoulda be 11-0. Close, I just think they will play better as a unit as it takes a little time again with so many players and our best inside guy hurt.

Late for the Dance Howland will be. Ass whippings of significance will be barren.

basedog
12-17-2021, 10:57 PM
Late for the Dance Howland will be.

I hope we make it. Too early to say we want.

PGHBulldogBG
12-17-2021, 11:01 PM
Just win the 10 SEC games we should and we make it.

NCMSTFAN
12-18-2021, 05:03 PM
His recruiting is what keeps him. He brings talent to State, but his coaching style is dated

msstate7
12-18-2021, 05:09 PM
I get frustrated too, but I try to put things in perspective. Howland has basically gotten 0 games from a fully healthy smith and watts. That's missing 2 of your top 8 players, so 25%... that's tough. I'd like to see watts and smith get healthy and us play 5 games or so to see where we're at

CaptainObvious
12-18-2021, 05:26 PM
Best thing for attendance at Mississippi State Men?s basketball would be to go to a Friday/Sunday SEC schedule. Then at least they could get the 30 mile radius fans.

msstate7
12-18-2021, 05:36 PM
Best thing for attendance at Mississippi State Men?s basketball would be to go to a Friday/Sunday SEC schedule. Then at least they could get the 30 mile radius fans.

I agree, but it won't happen

House33
12-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Take 2 weeks off and quit?

tcdog70
12-19-2021, 11:34 AM
I agree, but it won't happen

Reseating and TV ruined the HUMP.. MSU ran off the 4000 locals that loved basketball . Then Fired Stans and Hired some third string Clemson assistant who replaced the winningest Coach in MSU history..

PMDawg
12-19-2021, 03:56 PM
This is the Stansbury debate all over again. But Stansbury had some better results.

Coach34
12-19-2021, 04:07 PM
Howland plays the Old Skool sagging, protect the paint M2M D. He aint changing no matter how many 3's the other team hits.

Offensively we should get better when the guys get healthy and we get some continuity

HoopsDawg
12-19-2021, 04:11 PM
Howland plays the Old Skool sagging, protect the paint M2M D. He aint changing no matter how many 3's the other team hits.

This is so true. I can almost hear him saying "I would rather give up a 3 than a layup."

tcdog70
12-19-2021, 07:25 PM

Offensively we should get better when the guys get healthy and we get some continuity

We have a problem stopping dribble penetration. Then we sag and leave a 3 point shooter wide ass open.

Lord McBuckethead
12-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Why does it take us 6 weeks to figure out a lineup, even in years past?
Why don't we slash to the basket, ever?
We run a top of the key screen, why not work on the pick and roll off of this?

The weave doesn't work, if everyone is standing around or jogging just to go through the motions.

Every team that guards us coming down the court, eats up 15 seconds of our clock. Then combining that with our terribly slow half court, it gives us 3 seconds to shoot every possession.

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2021, 10:25 AM
That's the million dollar question. Howland underachieves with the talent he has, but he overachieves in acquiring talent. I think firing howland is ridiculous.

I'm not certain that he underachieves - I think we build up our perception of the talent level we have. Outside of 2015 and 2018, our recruiting classes have been outside the top 30 - and we play like we are ranked 30-40 - which puts us on the bubble at best annually.

Pancho
12-21-2021, 06:48 AM
Why does it take us 6 weeks to figure out a lineup, even in years past?
Why don't we slash to the basket, ever?
We run a top of the key screen, why not work on the pick and roll off of this?

The weave doesn't work, if everyone is standing around or jogging just to go through the motions.

Every team that guards us coming down the court, eats up 15 seconds of our clock. Then combining that with our terribly slow half court, it gives us 3 seconds to shoot every possession.

I think the scheme that Ben uses was what he learned pre-3 point line and shot clock. Not really having a real Center anymore and that clock a ticking down hurts his system a bit.