PDA

View Full Version : Florida and OM

parabrave
12-16-2021, 07:19 PM
are going to destroy each other going for portal transfers. Dam what did danny boy do to that program?

BayouDawg
12-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Dan almost had our roster in a mess going into 2017. Thankfully all the jucos we took panned out or it could have been a disaster.

TheLostDawg
12-16-2021, 10:58 PM
Dan almost had our roster in a mess going into 2017. Thankfully all the jucos we took panned out or it could have been a disaster.

Not to mention tried flipping our top commits to them. Would have been nice to have had that kicker he took with him

Todd4State
12-17-2021, 04:13 AM
are going to destroy each other going for portal transfers. Dam what did danny boy do to that program?

Florida recruits itself.**

We've paid for it the past two seasons. That's part of the reason why we were so young. Really no different than what happened under Jackie.

Not to mention Dan also dropped Corral when he took the Florida job. Dan sucks.

DownwardDawg
12-17-2021, 08:54 AM

We've paid for it the past two seasons. That's part of the reason why we were so young. Really no different than what happened under Jackie.

I agree on your last statement. We were just so bad historically. Dan was up and coming and gave a lot of effort at first. Most "driven" coaches could have won as much as he did here. It was easy to predict he wouldn't make it at Florida. He's average.

StarkVegasSteve
12-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Dan and his staff are talent developers. He is an above average to really good coach. He is probably one of the best in game play callers in college football. His problem at Florida was Florida will never be able to be patient. Just like when Dan was here, he won with Croom recruits the first couple of years and then he had to wait for his guys to develop. The same thing will happen at Florida. They will be 9-3 to 10-2 the next couple of years and then Napier will need quick fixes until his recruits are ready.

Commercecomet24
12-17-2021, 10:36 AM

Dan never really got into recruiting but the last few years he was downright lazy.

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2021, 10:47 AM
Dan and his staff are talent developers. He is an above average to really good coach. ]He is probably one of the best in game play callers in college football.[/B] His problem at Florida was Florida will never be able to be patient. Just like when Dan was here, he won with Croom recruits the first couple of years and then he had to wait for his guys to develop. The same thing will happen at Florida. They will be 9-3 to 10-2 the next couple of years and then Napier will need quick fixes until his recruits are ready.

I'm going to disagree here. Dan was very good at game planning. We typically had good overall approaches on Offense to take advantage of our opponents weaknesses. At the play calling level, his situational awareness and his conservative approach sucked ass. We all knew 3rd and 8 was QB power. We all knew he had nothing in the tank for a 2 minute drill. We all knew he didn't know how to use time-outs. We all knew he was going to call a stupid fake punt and it would fail. We knew he never went for the kill when we had an opponent down, instead it was the football version of the Stansbury stall. Great play-callers don't have those issues.

Johnson85
12-17-2021, 10:54 AM
I'm going to disagree here. Dan was very good at game planning. We typically had good overall approaches on Offense to take advantage of our opponents weaknesses. At the play calling level, his situational awareness and his conservative approach sucked ass. We all knew 3rd and 8 was QB power. We all knew he had nothing in the tank for a 2 minute drill. We all knew he didn't know how to use time-outs. We all knew he was going to call a stupid fake punt and it would fail. We knew he never went for the kill when we had an opponent down, instead it was the football version of the Stansbury stall. Great play-callers don't have those issues.

Agree here. His first year, the play calling was really good. I think having such a limited option at QB forced him to get creative. Or maybe he just had a staff person that really helped his playcalling, either by helping with playcalls or by taking other responsibilities off him (Hudspeth maybe?)

He seemed to get in a bad rut as time went on, getting relatively predictable.

PikeDawg15
12-17-2021, 11:51 AM
Dan will do wonders in either the big 12, ACC, or Pac 12 at a place that is not use to being good.

He would be great at a place like Kansas, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, Duke, etc

I hope dan does well the rest of his life but he blew a playoff chance in 2014, a new years six in 2017, and another playoff chance in 2018 by not staying.

Bdawg
12-17-2021, 12:31 PM
Dan and his staff are talent developers. He is an above average to really good coach. He is probably one of the best in game play callers in college football. His problem at Florida was Florida will never be able to be patient. Just like when Dan was here, he won with Croom recruits the first couple of years and then he had to wait for his guys to develop. The same thing will happen at Florida. They will be 9-3 to 10-2 the next couple of years and then Napier will need quick fixes until his recruits are ready.

Obvious QB draws, Hollaway up the middle and conservative 4 quarters tell me different on his play calling. Good game planner, like the way he attacked our 2018 D with quick sideline passes

Bdawg
12-17-2021, 12:32 PM

Agree

Dawgology
12-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Exactly. He was a great planner which is why our first drive of each half used to result in points and we looked unstoppable. After that it was all conservative and confusion.

Coach34
12-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Mullen did a good job at State. He was a little too conservative in big games- but overall did well. Excellent job of finding and developing under the radar guys. My issue with him was always the job shopping.

Kiffin may be in the same boat at Mississippi. End up there 7-8 years because he cant afford to leave for anywhere except a blue blood and cant get a blue blood to hire him.

TheLostDawg
12-17-2021, 01:26 PM

Hahaha haha. Man are you kidding. He never made in game adjustments. He could develop talent but that's it. Too lazy to recruit.

TheLostDawg
12-17-2021, 01:27 PM

This

Jack Lambert
12-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Obvious QB draws, Hollaway up the middle and conservative 4 quarters tell me different on his play calling. Good game planner, like the way he attacked our 2018 D with quick sideline passes

I think it was the 2017 Alabama game was his best game plan ever.

Turfdawg67
12-17-2021, 01:50 PM
He is probably one of the best in game play callers in college football.

Uh... no. At times Dan was as lazy with his play calling as he was with recruiting.

Coach34
12-17-2021, 01:51 PM
I think it was the 2017 Alabama game was his best game plan ever.

Was very good until he "Mullened" the 4th and less than 2 with a chance to get 7 and put Bama on their heels. Mittens kicked the FG and you knew we were about to lose

DownwardDawg
12-17-2021, 02:33 PM

This 100%. I thought he was a terrible play caller. I used to be jealous watching other teams at their play calling creativity. His offense had us in a great position to mix things up much more than we did. He just wasn't creative enough to do it. When he did try anything out of the box, like fake punts etc.... you could see it coming a mile away. And it never worked.

Commercecomet24
12-17-2021, 02:38 PM

You nailed it perfectly!

Turfdawg67
12-17-2021, 04:35 PM
This 100%. I thought he was a terrible play caller. I used to be jealous watching other teams at their play calling creativity. His offense had us in a great position to mix things up much more than we did. He just wasn't creative enough to do it. When he did try anything out of the box, like fake punts etc.... you could see it coming a mile away. And it never worked.

Yes! And do y'all remember that first billboard of Mullen? He was drawing a wild and crazy play on a chalkboard and the caption said "This is going to be fun!" or something to that effect. Little did we know that was a QB draw or a Holloway up the middle play he was drawing! LOL

Jack Lambert
12-17-2021, 04:42 PM
Was very good until he "Mullened" the 4th and less than 2 with a chance to get 7 and put Bama on their heels. Mittens kicked the FG and you knew we were about to lose

He definitely screwed up the 4th but a lot of coaches do that against Bama. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about it. He had him beat.

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2021, 05:44 PM
Yes! And do y'all remember that first billboard of Mullen? He was drawing a wild and crazy play on a chalkboard and the caption said "This is going to be fun!" or something to that effect. Little did we know that was a QB draw or a Holloway up the middle play he was drawing! LOL

Yes the "Spread the Fun!!" Posters

BeardoMSU
12-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Yes the "Spread the Fun!!" Posters

That poster got me hyped, not gonna lie.

Jcl
12-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Too lazy for crutin and too scared for coaching. Hell, no wonder he never won a game at the historical juggernaut that is Mississippi State.

parabrave
12-17-2021, 06:43 PM
He definitely screwed up the 4th but a lot of coaches do that against Bama. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about it. He had him beat.

This and that Fuing Ref who threw his hat marking the receiver OOB then picking up the hat after the touchdown. And Danny never called out the ref on that. That play cost us that game.

Jcl
12-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Too lazy for crutin and too scared to coach. Hell, no wonder he never won a game at the historical juggernaut that is Mississippi state.

BeardoMSU
12-17-2021, 07:15 PM
We had some great moments under Dan. Great. He elevated our program from the dumpster fire it was and made us relevant. Dan deserves a lot of fond memories from us....but he also deserves some baggage. After 9 years, it was stale...especially the annual November job-hunting and stubbornness to recruit, adjust, change staff, etc. His arrogance and just "not getting it" was on full display this past year at Florida; the "we'll talk about recruiting during recruiting season" is the most Dan Mullen thing ever, lol. That's why I don't really miss him.

That's why I think Leach definitely gives us a higher ceiling. Not just because of his offense, but the recruiting this staff has done (a pleasant surprise for all of us, no doubt). Gone are the days of transitioning a DT or TE to play left tackle, lol.....we just signed 5 OL this class and will likely add more via the portal. That is ****ing huge. As long as we continue to bring in good defensive talent, I think our future is very bright.

Catfish
12-17-2021, 07:18 PM
We had some great moments under Dan. Great. He elevated our program from the dumpster fire it was and made us relevant. Dan deserves a lot of fond memories from us....but he also deserves some baggage. After 9 years, it was stale...especially the annual November job-hunting and stubbornness to recruit, adjust, change staff, etc. His arrogance and just "not getting it" was on full display this past year at Florida; the "we'll talk about recruiting during recruiting season" is the most Dan Mullen thing ever, lol. That's why I don't really miss him.

That's why I think Leach definitely gives us a higher ceiling. Not just because of his offense, but the recruiting this staff has done (a pleasant surprise for all of us, no doubt). Gone are the days of transitioning a DT or TE to play left tackle, lol.....we just signed 5 OL this class and will likely add more via the portal. That is ****ing huge. As long as we continue to bring in good defensive talent, I think our future is very bright.

Rock on, Beardo. Good post!

DownwardDawg
12-17-2021, 07:41 PM

Haha! Damn. I had forgotten about Holloway up the middle. Now imma have nightmares tonight.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-17-2021, 08:29 PM
Dan will do wonders in either the big 12, ACC, or Pac 12 at a place that is not use to being good.

He would be great at a place like Kansas, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, Duke, etc

I hope dan does well the rest of his life but he blew a playoff chance in 2014, a new years six in 2017, and another playoff chance in 2018 by not staying.

I think he and his offense would do well at Nebraska. He could get linemen there for Lazy ass Hev. Dan could get a mobile QB and a handful of decent WRs from out of state. I think he would field a 9-10 win team and could easily challenge Iowa in that division.