PDA

View Full Version : Sharp gets another year....

Coursesuper
12-16-2021, 02:52 PM
Huge deal for the offensive line.

confucius say
12-16-2021, 03:03 PM
Massive development. Is that 9 returning starters on offense? Plus 5-7 depth guys who played a ton of snaps.

dawggoneit
12-16-2021, 03:13 PM
Great news

Saltydog
12-16-2021, 03:17 PM
He's a solid player and that's big for us on the interior of that OL but I'm still not comfortable with our options at LT.......

yjnkdawg
12-16-2021, 03:20 PM
Great news ! :)

Coursesuper
12-16-2021, 03:24 PM
He's a solid player and that's big for us on the interior of that OL but I'm still not comfortable with our options at LT.......

Yep, but replacing 1 or 2 is much better than having to replace 3 of 5.

RiverCityDawg
12-16-2021, 03:24 PM
I read this was going to happen on here a few weeks back before anyone else was saying it. Which one of you was the one that said it? Hat tip to you.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-16-2021, 03:25 PM
So Sharp, Dolla Bill, Cole Smith, and Kam Jones are 4 guys who can fight for the 3 interior spots. Percy Lewis, Kam Jones, Albert Reese, and maybe a portal guy can fight for the 2 tackle spots. (I know I listed Kam Jones twice. He can be in the mix for guard or tackle)

confucius say
12-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Somebody will get first crack at LT in the bowl game too

Johnson85
12-16-2021, 04:33 PM

I feel like we'll be fine at RT. Somebody will be able to basically replace Lashley. Could even be an improvement. Left Tackle we're obviously going to take a step back on. I think (hope) the worst case scenario is that we end up with Percy at LT and Reece or Kam Jones at RT. That probably won't be good, and will probably allow the best pass rushing teams to put pressure on Will rushing 3, but it shouldn't be disastrous like I was fearing. May make us more or less non-competitive in 3 games but hopefully will allow us to compete in the others.

Westdawg
12-16-2021, 05:02 PM
Kam Jones and Albert Reese would be my guess

HoopsDawg
12-16-2021, 05:31 PM
This is great news for next season. Now it's up to the coaches to go find a LT, C, K, WR and a safety. That's actually a lot to ask for. So there's some work that has to be done.

Westdawg
12-16-2021, 10:23 PM
Our hope for LT in ?22 has to come from Percy Lewis or Albert Reese. Odds are we aren?t finding one in the portal... in fact, us openly looking would probably not make Percy feel like he made the right decision at all

BuckyIsAB****
12-16-2021, 11:37 PM

Nick Jones is going to start at LT. He is going to be good. Nasty streak

Leroy Jenkins
12-17-2021, 12:09 AM
Some people are going to be disappointed because Lashley was better than Lewis is right now. He had never played OL before JuCo and has a lot to work on before he gets thrown into this league. The good news with Lewis is there is a lot to work with. And having Q back to shepherd that group is going to help significantly.

It is what it is.

FriarsPoint
12-17-2021, 12:33 AM
Huge.

Before this year I struggled to find 6 wins looking at the schedule. Look at tape from La Tech to Mississippi. Knowing the lack of cohesiveness of the unit to start and where they ended up, I’d say that was a helluva coaching job. Yes, having a first round left tackle is enormous. Still, 22 is not insurmountable for the OL.

Looking at the schedule for 22, I can find 8 wins.

Todd4State
12-17-2021, 04:07 AM
Some people are going to be disappointed because Lashley was better than Lewis is right now. He had never played OL before JuCo and has a lot to work on before he gets thrown into this league.

It is what it is.

Lashley's biggest issue was false starts.

Todd4State
12-17-2021, 04:09 AM
Sharp coming back is absolutely huge.

I think we're looking at barring a portal addition

LT- Nick Jones
LG- Cole Smith
C- Sharp
RG- Kam Jones
RT- Percy Lewis or Albert Reese

And then we have Dollar Bill who has played a lot too.

Coursesuper
12-17-2021, 07:27 AM
Lashley's biggest issue was false starts.

Lashley's biggest problem being slow which was causing him jumping before the snap trying no to get beat.

KOdawg1
12-17-2021, 09:03 AM
Can't be overstated how HUGE this is.

LT- Portal LT/Percy Lewis
LG- Kam Jones/Grant Jackson
C- Sharp/Boone
RG- Cole Smith/Dolla Bill
RT- Albert Reese/K. Jones/Nick Jones

You're pretty much gravy at guard and center. If the tackles work out, this could be a very good OL.

RT literally cannot get worse, so we're really just banking on LT.

PGHBulldogBG
12-17-2021, 09:21 AM
Huge.

Before this year I struggled to find 6 wins looking at the schedule. Look at tape from La Tech to Mississippi. Knowing the lack of cohesiveness of the unit to start and where they ended up, I’d say that was a helluva coaching job. Yes, having a first round left tackle is enormous. Still, 22 is not insurmountable for the OL.

Looking at the schedule for 22, I can find 8 wins.

I admit I picked us to go 5-7, 2-6 in SEC play and after La Tech I was worried getting 5 wins would even be tough. Next year I think we win 9 games with our returning starters. Bama and UGA will be 2 losses then go for 1 for 2 against LSU and Texas A&M. Could very easily set us up for a NY6 bowl game.

Johnson85
12-17-2021, 09:28 AM
Nick Jones is going to start at LT. He is going to be good. Nasty streak

I know he is still young, but I have a hard time believing that Nick Jones is going to be a capable LT next year when he apparently wasn't better than Lashley this year. If there is a LT on campus already, I would have to think it is a Freshman or RS Freshman. I could understand them not being ready this year and making a big jump after a full year or two in college strength and conditioning and nutrition.

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2021, 09:39 AM
I know he is still young, but I have a hard time believing that Nick Jones is going to be a capable LT next year when he apparently wasn't better than Lashley this year. If there is a LT on campus already, I would have to think it is a Freshman or RS Freshman. I could understand them not being ready this year and making a big jump after a full year or two in college strength and conditioning and nutrition.

Jones was a JUCO transfer - so age wise he is a Jr., but was a RS-SO eligibility wise. So, I have no doubt that coming in from EMCC (and not having played in 2020 because of COVID cancelling the season) that he was behind enough not to be able to beat out a 6th year former 4* Bama OL. But, he played more and more as the season progressed, and will now have a full off-season in the program that he didn't have coming into this year.

Johnson85
12-17-2021, 09:54 AM
This is great news for next season. Now it's up to the coaches to go find a LT, C, K, WR and a safety. That's actually a lot to ask for. So there's some work that has to be done.

LT is a big need obviously.

C??? I thought that was Sharpe with Cole Smith as a backup?

K - yea, we need a boost there.

I was surprised to see WR b/c it seems like we have committed a ton since Leach got here. Definitely going to miss Polk and it's not obvious that we have what we need on the roster, but we do have a lot of options. If Walley stays healthy and Tulu can learn the offense enough to get the reps to match his talent, we'll at least have two good options.

Coach34
12-17-2021, 10:02 AM
We'll be pretty good on the interior. Got to figure out the OT situation now.

confucius say
12-17-2021, 11:08 AM
LT is a big need obviously.

C??? I thought that was Sharpe with Cole Smith as a backup?

K - yea, we need a boost there.

I was surprised to see WR b/c it seems like we have committed a ton since Leach got here. Definitely going to miss Polk and it's not obvious that we have what we need on the roster, but we do have a lot of options. If Walley stays healthy and Tulu can learn the offense enough to get the reps to match his talent, we'll at least have two good options.

I think Polk will be back. Heath too.
Walley. Williams. Tulu. Rara.

We should have plenty of options at wr.

The only thing to figure out is OT. It wouldn't surprise me if we slide Kam Jones to RT and move Reese or Percy Lewis to G.

Catfish
12-17-2021, 11:17 AM
delete

Johnson85
12-17-2021, 12:17 PM
I think Polk will be back. Heath too.
Walley. Williams. Tulu. Rara.

We should have plenty of options at wr.

The only thing to figure out is OT. It wouldn't surprise me if we slide Kam Jones to RT and move Reese or Percy Lewis to G.

I thought Polk was gone for sure for some reason. If he's coming back, and Williams is taking advantage of a 6th year of eligibility, I'm not sure why people are concerned about WR.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2021, 12:46 PM
I thought Polk was gone for sure for some reason. If he's coming back, and Williams is taking advantage of a 6th year of eligibility, I'm not sure why people are concerned about WR.

Receivers will be fine but always looking for a difference maker like Polk.

Leroy Jenkins
12-17-2021, 02:23 PM
https://twitter.com/HailStateFB/status/1471558760237654017